THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    I surrender what will happen if I leave my trophies with the importer
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I surrender what will happen if I leave my trophies with the importer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I pay the importers fee (Well Worldwide) I'm in for a little more than $4500 for a Bushbuck and Buffalo hides and horns before they even get to the taxidermist, I've had enough. Well has a $1800 charge on their invoice for "storage". I fully intended to leave everything in Zim after getting "that" bill but my PH thought he was doing us both a favor by paying the bill for me without letting me know it's not his fault he was acting in good conscience. What is the deal has anyone else been raped like this recently? I am going to Zambia in September and am fully prepared to take pictures and come home.

Posts: 328 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Not exactly a comment on your situation, but there seems to be a continuing and growing problem with the costs of African Safaris, and that may turn out to be the bigger threat to Safaris than USF&W rules/regulations.

It is hard to visualize going on a safari now or in the future when it seems every aspect has an increasing price tag attached.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO the PH is obliged to get your consent, written or verbal, before he spends $ on your behalf. That being said, I don't think you owe anyone anymore $. Also, the PH may recieve some form of remuneration from the importer, so by paying them (with "your" $) he is being self-serving.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Several people have been overcharged and kickbacks are all to common.

It isn't uncommon to hear of an African taxidermist or an African shipping agent holding a clients shipment in attempt to gain more funds.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Well a number of times and never had any problems. That fee sounds extraordinarily high for a bushbuck and a buff. My last safari was 3 buffalo, a leopard, sable, and several other assorted animals and while I can't remember the precise amount it was a fraction of what you are talking about.

Did you leave the trophies with them for an extended period of time? I'm puzzled.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I used Wells for the first time (4 trips to Africa) because they were in Houston, near my new taxidermist and they charged roughly twice what my usual Custom's broker, Hunter-International (SFO) charges.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seriously, the fees on all ends of trophy shipping are out of control (USF&W/Customs fees included).

When I got a quote for shipping from Mozambique (2011) I told the shipper "That's way more than I budgeted, please give me a couple days while I consider just having you throw my stuff in the dumpster." they took $1000 off the bill. Apparently it was still profitable for them at that price.

You should tell them that you are beyond unhappy, and see if they can give you a lower price.

These days, I'm mostly looking for 'management' type buff and elephant hunts, where I take some good pictures of my animals, and avoid what I now call the 'screw you rich American shipping surcharges.'

It should absolutely not cost more to ship a damn box one way, than it does for round trip airfare!!

Posts: 446 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$4500 for a bushbuck and buffalo hide and horns? That number is insane.

Have you looked at clearing them yourself? Might cost some money in gas and time but cheaper than $4500.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Tell them too keep them!!!

You have nothing to loose at this point. It might work and it might not.

When I received a $2,000 bill for getting a euro stag and a shoulder mount black buck out of Argentina. I told them I wouldn't pay it. They asked if I would like to store them. I said no. Ive never heard another word about it.

It still stings some. If people keep paying these inflated prices the will keep going up.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I paid slightly more than that for 2, 300+ pound crates full of taxidermy from Namibia to my garage.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I would question a PH who says he spent money for you without telling you in advance. And, as mentioned above, he is getting a kickback from whomever is exporting.
Go hunt again. The $4500 is an absolute rape.
Walk away from them and don't look back.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I would question a PH who says he spent money for you without telling you in advance. And, as mentioned above, he is getting a kickback from whomever is exporting.
Go hunt again. The $4500 is an absolute rape.
Walk away from them and don't look back.
Cal

..............................................................ABSOLUTELY! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Left my exceptional buff in Moz.

Between dip/pack, crating, freight charges, clearance fees and an Euro mount the cost would have approached 1/3 the price of another modest buff hunt......

No brainer for me.

One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Please explain why one would use a customs broker to do anything? I don't get it. I've only been to Africa five times. I just have the crates shipped to the airport...and have a buddy pick them up, or a taxidermist in town. The last crate (just a week ago) my cousin picked up for $50. The crate went from RSA on Delta to ATL, MSP and finally Anchorage, AK. Why pay another "middle man" to do anything?

I'm being serious too...I really don't know.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
This blatant thievery is just another reason I quit bring most things back. Between taxidermy and shipping costs I HAVENT spent in the last 5-6 years, I figure I have saved at least $14-15,000.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13389 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I'd tell them to stick it. No sense throwing good money after bad. I don't think that PH is your friend and certainly wasn't doing you any favors by allegedly paying charges for you without your consent. I'll bet some of the $$ he said he paid for you wound up in his pocket.

I'll be leaving in May for my 12th trip across the pond. I stopped bringing anything home except pictures long ago. Dip & pack, shipping, clearance etc. costs are ridiculous. Save your $$ and put them to better use funding future hunts.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
I'll be leaving in May for my 12th trip across the pond. I stopped bringing anything home except pictures long ago. Dip & pack, shipping, clearance etc. costs are ridiculous. Save your $$ and put them to better use funding future hunts.

This is an interesting discussion and I have asked the question before but never really got a definitive answer. In similar discussions where posters have said they only take photos and memories but leave the physical evidence behind, some have accused them of only being shooters and having no respect for the animals they have taken as trophies and then more or less dumped. This is in no way my reflection and I am not judgemental on this issue.

Apart from meat and hides of the edible animals which always seem to get used, just what does happen to the trophy heads that are shot but left?

Do PH's treat you any differently if wanting to shoot good trophies but take nothing back?

Do you shoot real good trophies i.e. record book stuff and not take home or just take representative or cull animals?

If only taking representative animals and leaving them behind how do you 'spin' out the safari as I assume for most species other than say leopard you could pretty much shoot representatives in a few days rather than spent days looking for the big or bigger trophies than you may already have got in previous trips?

I am surprised by the replies to the OP as to how many don't take trophies back with them. Obviously this is just a small selection on AR but there must be many who follow this path?

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
$1,564.49 to get two red stag skulls out of Scotland to my house, using Well. They were perfectly boiled and cleaned by the estate when I left. My fault not having my act together about flying home with them as baggage. 'Took a year and 3 months...from Scotland!
Of the amount, 637.19 was for an English taxidermist to screw the two skulls onto two crappy-ass pieces of plywood. "Required" my ass.

This subject is really impacting my thoughts about booking another trip to Africa. (Zim 5 times, Moz once.) Hell, I might consider trying to clear my own trophies in HOU or DFW. Even a couple of hotel nights would be cheaper than paying what the brokers are currently charging.

I might force myself to return to Zim for the simple fact alone that I don't believe Andy Hunter would screw me, if he's still in the business.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Hughes:
If I pay the importers fee (Well Worldwide) I'm in for a little more than $4500 for a Bushbuck and Buffalo hides and horns before they even get to the taxidermist, I've had enough. Well has a $1800 charge on their invoice for "storage". I fully intended to leave everything in Zim after getting "that" bill but my PH thought he was doing us both a favor by paying the bill for me without letting me know it's not his fault he was acting in good conscience. What is the deal has anyone else been raped like this recently? I am going to Zambia in September and am fully prepared to take pictures and come home.

Sir:

Would you mind providing what makes up the $4,500? Not exact, just roughly.

I am not at all questioning what you are saying. Something seems way wrong for such a small shipment. I am wondering where you got hosed. Those storage charges are extremely high unless they had them a very long time.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do PH's treat you any differently if wanting to shoot good trophies but take nothing back?

Do you shoot real good trophies i.e. record book stuff and not take home or just take representative or cull animals?

On most of my hunts the PH's knew going in that I wasn't bringing anything home. Three of the hunts were for non exportable elephant bulls so I wasn't expecting to shoot a 60 lb. bull. My most recent hunts were for non trophy male plains game. One such hunt was at Kananna in Botswanna for Gemsbok and Blue Wildebeest. We spotted some animals that the PH said were to big but not many. The first Gemsbok I shot measured 38.5 inches.

My upcoming hunt in May will be in Namibia for non trophy male plains game. With the exception of Gemsbok I don't want to shoot females so this
is not a normal cull hunt.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

Sir:

I am not at all questioning what you are saying. Something seems way wrong for such a small shipment. I am wondering where you got hosed. Those storage charges are extremely high unless they had them a very long time.

+1

I've used Well three times and am planning to do so on a 4th whenever the Zambian folks get their own stuff straight.

Maybe someone from Well will chime in and explain what is going on and why this gent is being charged so much for so little. I suspect the charges have little to do with Well (the importer) and more to do with the expediter and maybe the airline/storage.

There are options, and this is certainly bad press.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got a bill in the last 15 minutes for three buffalo, bushbuck, hyena and a crocodile. Total cost? It was $921.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Used WELLS worldwide for all three imports without complaint.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7622 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have used Well for at least a dozen different trips and this has never happened to me...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My last shipment from Zambia was $1600 for dip and pack/crate and another $974 for shipping and export fees from Lusaka to Calgary. There was a full hippo skull and tusks, a buffalo skull, a couple impala, and a full leopard skin and skull in the crate. $4500 for your buff and bushbuck is way out of line, even with brokerage fees, would like to see the break down of costs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fees are extremely high generally. These guys charge worse than wounded buffalo and with more determination...

I've shipped several heavy crates from the US to South Africa (being an importer of North Fork products) and getting trophies here from Zimbabwe is far more expensive. My opinion is that everybody in the chain is overreaching the clients. Some are slick and efficient, but so what?

I had an issue where the dip and pack taxidermist reflected the value as the trophy fees despite these being raw hides and skulls. I was charged VAT by customs at 14%. My agent on this side paid it, causing the problem and it was not possible to put the shit back in the horse to undo it all.

Beware of declared values. The trophy fee in my opinion includes the value of the privilege of being permitted to hunt the animals. It's a fee not a value.

I'm over shipping trophies. But it will no doubt hurt some not to.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

Sir:

Dip and pack in Zim was around 800 I paid that quite some time ago and then back around the end of the year I got a bill from the taxidermist for export/shipping fees for around 1200. Fast forward to a few day me ago and I get the invoice from well which included storage fees of 1800... I questioned this and was told it was from 2/17-2/21 the items sat at the airport that long before clearing and Well was notified.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PH is a personal friend and I am confident he's wasn't doing anything to his advantage I got the shipping bill from the taxidermist long before he paid it I suspect the taxidermist contacted him because I was unresponsive, I was planning on stopping the bleeding then but we hadn't discussed that he was acting in good faith.

Tell me this is 1200 shipping and export fee sound right out of Bulawayo? I will dig through my emails when I have time and get a breakdown of charges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not understanding how the dip pack and shipping is a suprise? Am I the only one who BEFORE going on a trip asks what theses charges will be instead of after it's all done?

Thanks

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have used Well for at least a dozen different trips and this has never happened to me...

Me too.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not really disputing the dip and pack cost mainly the extra 1800 from well and I thought 1300 for shipping was a little high

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... it kind of sounds like that $1,800 might be what they had to pay for airport storage. Emphasis on might.

Don't blame you at all for being upset.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes exactly it is airport storage I know that for fact but why did they let it sit there if storage is that high?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it is not the import company's fault. It has to be cleared by USFWS and if they are backed up, it can sit a few days, and I think they get charged for secure warehouse space... if there is a federal holiday it can be a while...

Posts: 10964 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes exactly it is airport storage I know that for fact but why did they let it sit there if storage is that high?

I had a shipment held up for two weeks after arrival because US F&W changed officers.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7622 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
This blatant thievery is just another reason I quit bring most things back. Between taxidermy and shipping costs I HAVENT spent in the last 5-6 years, I figure I have saved at least $14-15,000.

+1

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

I had a shipment held up for two weeks after arrival because US F&W changed officers.

I had one held one time as well but I can't remember the reason.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cheers
Jim

Me too. No issues, fair prices

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:
$1,564.49 to get two red stag skulls out of Scotland to my house, using Well. They were perfectly boiled and cleaned by the estate when I left. My fault not having my act together about flying home with them as baggage. 'Took a year and 3 months...from Scotland!
Of the amount, 637.19 was for an English taxidermist to screw the two skulls onto two crappy-ass pieces of plywood. "Required" my ass.

This subject is really impacting my thoughts about booking another trip to Africa. (Zim 5 times, Moz once.) Hell, I might consider trying to clear my own trophies in HOU or DFW. Even a couple of hotel nights would be cheaper than paying what the brokers are currently charging.

I might force myself to return to Zim for the simple fact alone that I don't believe Andy Hunter would screw me, if he's still in the business.

I'm with you!!! Andy is still in the business and took GREAT care of me in 2015! Zim is where I will return to and Andy will be handling my shipments..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:

Cheers
Jim

Me too. No issues, fair prices

Me too.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote