Find
Notify
Tools

Question about sighting in at camp
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
I know that it is important to check your sights after having your guns transported half way around the world. I also realize that it gives the PH an opportunity to observe you in action and determine your level of skill and familiarity with your chosen arms. I think that most readers here are "gun guys" and probably spend more time with their weapons than others may. I am just wondering what sort of targets, distances etc. were used and what level of accuracy the PH was expecting. What distances did they have you shoot at with a heavy caliber open sight rifle VS scope sighted rifles. Thanks, JCS

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two extremes depending on the game and PH...for big stuff, 25 yds and hit the 4-6 dia "target"...sometimes a paint smear on a stump.

PG, 100 yds and hit the 4-6 dia target, could also be a paint smear.

This ain't Camp Perry.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
We sighted in @ 200 yds. We were both sighted in in two shots and took one more assurance shot each.

Our ph said that he gets many clients that can't hit that paper at 200 yards.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
50 yards off the bench first for ensuring everything was good from the travel, then off sticks for my heavy. Same thing at 100 yards for lighter plains game rifle.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since we were hunting (plains game only) in very open country in southern Namibia where long shot opportunities are common, our guide had us check our sights at 200 meters from an informal rest (just a pad) over the hood of a truck. If you are good at this distance from that kind of rest, then both your zero is good and your shooting acceptable.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fifty yards off the sticks for cape buffalo at 6" target.

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
We normally put a paper target up against the anthill at 100 yards and if you can hit the anthill you are good to go.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I've been asked to shoot at nearly any kind of target you can name at nearly any range. Usually off of sticks.

I'm happy if I can confirm that I'm still on target at 50-75 yards or so.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All 3 of the PHs I have hunted with have basically had me shoot off the hood of the truck. Both of my plains game rifles are zeroed at 200 yds. I take my own targets that I know where I should hit at 100 yds and shoot at that distance to verify zero.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sticks at about 50 yds.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I brought my own targets, a few push pins and electrical tape to hang them, even a couple sets of earplugs. The plains game PH had me shoot at 100 yards off a "field benchrest", an old card table with a truck rim for a seat. The buffalo PH had me shoot off the truck hood at about 75 yards. Neither one had anything to use as a target, other than scraps of cardboard.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
We normally put a paper target up against the anthill at 100 yards and if you can hit the anthill you are good to go.

Excellent. Smiler

I've heard of minute-of-buff but the minute-of-anthill is a better test.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
what size is a standard zambian ant hill

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:

peter

About 8 foot tall by 12 foot wide. I've shot many of them with Andrew. Hell, its the only thing he ever shows me when you hunt together!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I hunted in Namibia I was sat down and told to shoot at a target 200 yards away. I thought "goody" as I knew my 300WM was sighted in for 200 yards and it was my chance to impress the PH. Well, what a let down! The rifle/scope had gone off zero in transit from Atlanta to Windhoek and it took a fair number of shots to get it zeroed in again. Good thing I did not try to kill something! It was however a regular paper target. More civilized I guess, but I did feel under some pressure!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

rotflmo

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

peter

About 8 foot tall by 12 foot wide. I've shot many of them with Andrew. Hell, its the only thing he ever shows me when you hunt together!

But was it a 6 year old anthill?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

peter

even i should be able to do that two out of three times, i was just starting to worry that i actually had to hit something very small like a cardboard box for grocerys or the like.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
The guy who's farm I shot onlast year dabbed a bit of grease from the engine block of his bakkie on to the front of a carboard box, put a rock in it to weight it down and set it in front of a swiss-cheesed oil drum.

We were invited to check our riccochet danger areas at 72 metres, confirmed by the PH's laser.

As an introduction to African laissez-faire, it was wonderfully refreshing.

Old Tikka, Tikka steel mounts, steel-tubed fixed power Meopta held zero no problems, even after I dropped it out of a bakkie six feet on to the running boards later on that fortnight.......

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a HUGE favor. Take shot targets with you from 25 yards to 100 yards, use them to check zero after the trip into camp. My PH made me change the scopes based on unfamiliar rest and I shot poorly as a result. Take an owl ear bag filled with plastic beads as a front rest. Caldwell makes 'em. If you have to move the scope, record how many clicks (in case you want to move it all back in your room).

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
It hav varied quite a bit.

Shooting rest - Concrete shooting bench, hood of the truck, sticks, padded rest on the roll bar, standing without support.

Distance - 25 yards out to 150 yards.

Targets - Coke can, cardboard box, printed target, a tree.

Namibia was the most formal with the shooting bench, printed target, and 100 meter range.

I have started taking a bore sighter to check the scopes before I leave the U.S. and then re check on arrival to see of anything has grossly gone wrong, and then take a few shots to confirm zero.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I've had all different experiences with this, the bes was probably Walter w/Kwan, said since we were braining crocs, I had to hit a tennis ball at 200 meters freehand, If I missed he would confiscate the rifle and give me this...

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My PH had me shoot from the back of the Bakkie leaning on the roof with my soft case as a rest. He put a grocery box with a 2" black square drawn on it at 80 yards out for a target.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am going some were like Russia I will take my own targets. Sight in distance will be around 300 meters.

In africa I have shot from a bench with life sized targets. 100 meters.
Back of the ute on a piece of ply wood at 50 meters.
A mound of dirt at the empty beer box.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
20m or something (not lasered) offhand:

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
The guy who's farm I shot onlast year dabbed a bit of grease from the engine block of his bakkie on to the front of a carboard box, put a rock in it to weight it down and set it in front of a swiss-cheesed oil drum.

We were invited to check our riccochet danger areas at 72 metres, confirmed by the PH's laser.

Old Tikka, Tikka steel mounts, steel-tubed fixed power Meopta held zero no problems, even after I dropped it out of a bakkie six feet on to the running boards later on that fortnight.......

hahahaha I was there when you guys rechecked zero and our guys were shooting their loaners to check zero for the first time. I recall none of us had much problems at targets or paper scraps. D muttered to me that I had obviously done this before...

107m zero... 11hrs red eye flight, 4 hrs in a bakkie,30-06 loaner, 180gr PMP (brown box) and a lynx 3x9x40 2 rounds happily touching each other and the bull I aimed at. priceless! Smiler goodness knows how i would have faired if the darn thing was off!

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:

hahahaha I was there when you guys rechecked zero and our guys were shooting their loaners to check zero for the first time. I recall none of us had much problems at targets or paper scraps. D muttered to me that I had obviously done this before...

107m zero... 11hrs red eye flight, 4 hrs in a bakkie,30-06 loaner, 180gr PMP (brown box) and a lynx 3x9x40 2 rounds happily touching each other and the bull I aimed at. priceless! Smiler goodness knows how i would have faired if the darn thing was off!

That range was olympic standard indeed compared to the one the week before Mr. G, apart from the approach to it being from behind the stop butts of course.

Do you remember Wilie of the Wild Wounded Wildebeests fame? I spent an afternoon on the range with him on the first day of the competition trying to get him to squeeze a trigger rather than yank it! Sakkie pulled me aside at the skinning shed and sasked me to report back to him on his grouping after the "Two for one" affair.... Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
according to what i heard he was saving ammo and it was cold so he wanted to get in Smilerhahahaha

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
regular plains game at 100m and DG 30m.
I normally have sticks, sandbags, targets and target frames in camp.
Sometimes we shoot off the pick-up, or off a bench if the ranch has one.
I am intrigued by the amount of scoped firearms that are out of kilter when they get here.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Walter like to sight in his rifle each time he misses!

Which means several times a day!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
My last hunt we went to a spot to shoot with no appearent target, found an empty plastic bottle which was set up at something like 70 yards, I shot off the fence post, hit the bottle and that was good enough.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think i used a cardboard box once and a piece of paper once, the rest of the time it was usually a blaze on a tree and about so far

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It can get to be pretty funny.

Once my sight-in target was the bottom of a small cardboard box set on its side at the bottom of a huge anthill.

I was shooting at it off of sticks at about 75 yards. I could not see much if anything in the way of a bull's eye.

There seemed to be a light reddish rectangle somewhat to the right of and below the center of the box bottom.

I shot at it.

"How was that?" I asked.

"What were you shooting at?" answered my PH, who was peering at the box through his ten power bino.

"That reddish squarish thing down on the right."

"You mean the bar code?"

"I guess so, if that's what it is."

"If that's what you were shooting at, it was a good shot."

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
We had a decent set up at Dande North in Zimbabwae. A stand up Bench with target stand at about 80 yards and an excellent homemade target with highly visible reference points. Spotter had binoculars and a .458 hole is easy to see, esp if its a clover leaf!

I think it is as important for the PH to know what you can do as it is to confirm your zero. They are pros and will accommodate your minute of angle.

He said most Americans are good shots, esp those with a .300 magnum.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Boy is this one familiar. Stable to shoot from but the seat's not too comfortable.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A double will not shoot to the same place sitting from a bench, as it will standing or from sticks. Particularly a lighter gun.

Another point: scopes going "off". If a scope is "off" after riding in a foam-lined hard case, there is something seriously wrong with it. I wouldn't trust that scope again. The recoil from firing the rifle is 10x the shock of dropping the gun case. I once dropped a rifle off my shoulder (sling came undone), it landed on the objective bell. It shoot feet high afterward. I discovered the impact had actually BENT the tube. Nothing to do with the reticle.

I always tape my turrets after setting them ... I want to know if some TSA do-gooder twiddles the knobs. I think that happens more often than some realize.

Parting shot: use iron sights if you can. If you HAVE to use a scope, buy the best one money can buy. esp on a heavy caliber rifle.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
PG - 100 yards from a bench, truck or whatever is available... If we have targets we use them - if not - a piece of black duct tape stuck onto a cardboard box does the trick.

Yeah, I know the barrel is touching the rest but the kid wanted a picture for his girlfriend back in Spain so he posed for the pics...

He wasn't here to hunt but my staff needed meat so I asked him to shoot a Warthog for them...

It worked out well in the end...

DG - 25 yards of the sticks

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my first trip over I shot a box out of the back of the truck.

After that I started taking a few targets with me along with a few stick pins.

Some wanted to see where I shot at 100 yds others at 20 yds are so.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote