New
Find
Notify
Tools

It was the Dentist...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Walter Palmer, well known dentist and trophy hunter, of Bloomington, Minnesota; admits he shot Cecil with a crossbow. The Lion was only wounded, and took forty hours of tracking to recover.

Palmer claims he did not know Cecil or notice that he was wearing a radio collar when he shot at him. Or at any time later.

This is Palmers' second "issue" involving a hunt. In 2006 he was charged with killing a Black Bear "out of zone" in Wisconsin, and made false statements to the USFWS about the kill. He was found guilty, paid a $3000 fine, and served a year's probation.

He supposedly paid $55,000 for the Lion hunt.

Palmer, if I may paraphrase, says he was totally unaware of the circumstances, and is basically just an innocent victim. Like Cecil, except Cecil is dead. So, is Palmers' reputation...

Grandview Outdoors is running the story on the Internet.

He also paid a former receptionist for a sexual harassment case. $127,000, give or take.

Quite a guy. It will be interesting to see if he returns to Zim to clear his good name.

my $$$ says no.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you trust a court in Zimbabwe to do the right thing?

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
For sure I wouldn't if I pulled this kind of a bonehead move,

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's a shame he did not get the hide here first. The Lacey Act would have insured him of three hots and a cot for a couple years...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Hundreds of people protesting in front of his business. People driving hundreds of miles to be there and cry about what good pals they were with Cecil. No doubt he's received death threats to his family and has media camped out in front of his house. Makes what Steve Bartman went through look minor. This has pushed the various political scandals to page two; who cares about the nuke deal with Iran!...some bozo killed Cecil! Forget them email cover ups...we've got real bad people to crucify (the PH).

The Dentist would have been better off taking a shot at the Pope!

Perhaps somebody can pull a Brian Bosworth and start selling 'Cecil was my Friend' tee-shirts; use the proceeds for another safari.

Some of you might want to google Steve Bartman and Brian Bosworth vs. Denver Broncos to understand this.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
Hundreds of people protesting in front of his business. People driving hundreds of miles to be there and cry about what good pals they were with Cecil. No doubt he's received death threats to his family and has media camped out in front of his house. Makes what Steve Bartman went through look minor. This has pushed the various political scandals to page two; who cares about the nuke deal with Iran!...some bozo killed Cecil! Forget them email cover ups...we've got real bad people to crucify (the PH).

Perhaps somebody can pull a Brian Bosworth and start selling 'Cecil was my Friend' tee-shirts; use the proceeds for another safari.

Some of you might want to google Steve Bartman and Brian Bosworth vs. Denver Broncos to understand this.

And some of you might just look at the headlines.

And see all the horrible crimes being totally ignored.

The dentist being clobbered, and an idiot who had a sex change is being made a hero!!

What the hell has happened to us??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Your homophobia is just overwhelming isn't it. Move on.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I hate that word "homophobia". If someone doesn't like watching a couple of half naked queers playing grab-ass in an otherwise peaceful park he gets called that. If someone doesn't agree with their social agenda he gets called that. If someone doesn't like standing in line next to them at the burger joint when they are talking about bleaching their anuses he gets called that. If someone doesn't think it's appropriate for the middle of a 4th of July Parade to be interrupted by a bunch of speedo wearing, nutsack hanging, fairies prancing around making suggestive motions, obscene gestures, and using profanity in front of hundreds of kids while they trot behind a "Pride" banner he gets called that. We don't accept offensive behavior by heterosexuals but we are expected to accept the same offensive behavior by any and all homosexuals without question or we are told we are not tolerant and we get called that.

Yeah, I hate that word. There is no phobia about it. I'm not afraid of shitheads who act inappropriate, inconsiderate, and offensive during public displays. I just don't like people who do that.

I do not have a problem with anyone as long as they don't expect or demand to be treated differently than anyone else. Unfortunately, some homosexuals can and do get away with anything as long as they can point and say "homophobia". And those who behave poorly only give respectable homosexuals a bad name. It's sad to see.

And the truth is that anyone who uses the word homophobia is really only telling us they are a homophiliac. Move on.....

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
... And those who behave poorly only give respectable homosexuals a bad name.

Zealot homophobes believe there are 'respectable' type homosexuals....??

Do you realise that some people hate/despise all homosexuals?

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

The dentist being clobbered, and an idiot who had a sex change is being made a hero!!

If gendre change Jenner was a hunter, would you still go on your regular homophobe rants about her?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Its obvious to me - Cecil the lion was a homosexual and was punished for his crime against nature.....

And some of you need to grow up and accept that there are homosexual people in the world and they have the same rights as the rest of you.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had this saying in the Army Rangers: "kill them all, God will sort them out...".

That pretty much covers it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe your 20th century rangers could have found something more original.
Since the saying originates from the Albigensian Crusade, more speciifically the yr 1209 and the massacre at Beziers.
and had nothing to do with an action against lions or homosexuals specifically.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the Westboro Baptist Church is missing a great opportunity here! Surprised they aren't counter-protesting the protest outside the Dentist Office with signs 'God Hates Cecil'. What an international photo-op for them!

Al Sharpton might figure an angle for a 50K speaking fee too.

This whole debacle would almost be funny if it weren't for all the knee-jerk bad things that are going to come out of it for legit hunters.

Shooting a 'MGM' park lion with a cross bow must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
I hate that word "homophobia". If someone doesn't like watching a couple of half naked queers playing grab-ass in an otherwise peaceful park he gets called that. If someone doesn't agree with their social agenda he gets called that. If someone doesn't like standing in line next to them at the burger joint when they are talking about bleaching their anuses he gets called that. If someone doesn't think it's appropriate for the middle of a 4th of July Parade to be interrupted by a bunch of speedo wearing, nutsack hanging, fairies prancing around making suggestive motions, obscene gestures, and using profanity in front of hundreds of kids while they trot behind a "Pride" banner he gets called that. We don't accept offensive behavior by heterosexuals but we are expected to accept the same offensive behavior by any and all homosexuals without question or we are told we are not tolerant and we get called that.

Yeah, I hate that word. There is no phobia about it. I'm not afraid of shitheads who act inappropriate, inconsiderate, and offensive during public displays. I just don't like people who do that.

I do not have a problem with anyone as long as they don't expect or demand to be treated differently than anyone else. Unfortunately, some homosexuals can and do get away with anything as long as they can point and say "homophobia". And those who behave poorly only give respectable homosexuals a bad name. It's sad to see.

And the truth is that anyone who uses the word homophobia is really only telling us they are a homophiliac. Move on.....
Yes, misuse and overuse of the word stifles any discussion or varied thoughts on the topic. I imagine there are even a lot of homesexuals out there who don't like the word - as it leaves no leeway for their own friends and family who may not have completely polarised opinions. It is a bit like the lazy news-poll of the modern times - are you 'for' something or 'against' it - no option for 'haven't made my mind up yet' or some other iteration.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Well put Matt.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't homophobia actually mean afraid of man? Am I to understand that to not recognize Bruce Jenner as a hero is to be intolerant?
I have been keeping an eye on the "Cecil" controversy and have, so far, come away with mixed feelings.
I can't help but note that there are different sorts of "trophy hunters". Some, are simply hunters who keep trophies; others are those who hunt trophies. To my way of thinking, neither is necessarily bad but some members of both groups can be. I am not all that impressed that someone is able to buy trophies all over the world but accept that, without the value they attach to the trophy animals, these animals might not be able to exist. It is undoubtedly true that you can have a half million African lions (and we know there are not that many) or a couple billion Africans (and there must be close to that) but you can't have both unless someone attaches a significant value to the continued existence of the lion.
I notice that it seems that what is ethical changes according to what is legal. In other words, if there isn't some one telling us not to do something, we, as hunters, are happy to do it. It is this perception which is most damaging to hunters and hunting.
Saeed is right when he points out that there is serious shit happening around the world all the time yet huge chunks of newscasting time is spent on the demise of a lion at hands of a guy who may or may not be a jerk and the choice of a semi-celebrity to opt for a dickectomy and thus be hailed as a hero. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
I apologize that I don't have all the facts like some of you, but what exactly did the dentist do wrong?
Is it wrong to bait a lion?
Is it wrong to hunt near a park?
If so, what is the allowable distance?
Is it wrong to shoot a lion with a mane so long and thick it could hide a collar?
Please enlighten me, as the few articles I've read haven't said what he did wrong, other than shoot Cecil. Maybe that's it; he shot a lion someone else had named.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
If I was Mr. Palmer. I'd put a sign in the window of my office saying "Closed. Gone Hunting, again"

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:

And some of you might just look at the headlines.

And see all the horrible crimes being totally ignored.

What the hell has happened to us??

And we fund Planned Parenthood (Abortions R US) and sell the body parts of babies in the womb. WE are truly a sick species....

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The dentist being clobbered, and an idiot who had a sex change is being made a hero!!What the hell has happened to us??

This is totally politically motivated. USF&W has been waiting, under this Administration, to raise lion to a Cities One animal. This is an excuse.

SCI is lame. Why don't they weight in substantively. Cowards.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
quote:
The dentist being clobbered, and an idiot who had a sex change is being made a hero!!What the hell has happened to us??

This is totally politically motivated. USF&W has been waiting, under this Administration, to raise lion to a Cities One animal. This is an excuse.

SCI is lame. Why don't they weight in substantively. Cowards.

Cowards is exactly the right work. SCI responded by revoking the dentist's membership. I thought one of SCI's missions was to protect hunters and hunting. My reaction when I heard this on the news was that that is a cowardly thing to do before everything is known. Right now it's only speculation, media hysteria, and anti-hunting propaganda and lies. If it turns out that laws were broken, then expulsion would be the right thing to do. As it is, SCI has shown its true colors.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mmassey338:
I apologize that I don't have all the facts like some of you, but what exactly did the dentist do wrong?
Is it wrong to bait a lion?
Is it wrong to hunt near a park?
If so, what is the allowable distance?
Is it wrong to shoot a lion with a mane so long and thick it could hide a collar?
Please enlighten me, as the few articles I've read haven't said what he did wrong, other than shoot Cecil. Maybe that's it; he shot a lion someone else had named.

He did not shoot straight.I suggest he throw the bow away,pick up a good rifle and take a lesson from shootaway.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scojac:

Cowards is exactly the right work. SCI responded by revoking the dentist's membership.
I thought one of SCI's missions was to protect hunters and hunting.

People mistakenly think SCI is there for hunters, the same way people mistakenly think that unions are there for the workers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I agree with Trax!

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
What a coincidence! Last week when John Kerry was catching all that heat for the nuclear "deal" with made with Iran, where was the president? Answer: Kenya, meeting with political leaders from other African countries and extolling the virtues of our democratic system of government, while (very gently) chiding those other countries about their internal politics. Is it even remotely possible that trade issues (ie: the export/embargo of elephant trophies from Zimbabwe to the U.S.) were discussed while he was there?

In addition to the unusual timing, its also worth noting that just prior to his departure he was very specific about the fact that his lack of progress on "common sense gun control" was his #1 domestic failure. At the time attacking the legitimacy of sport hunting as roundabout way of discrediting gun ownership didn't seem to be part of his agenda, but now??? Confused

Of course some sort of collusion between Obama and the dictator of Zimbabwe is something that couldn't possibly occur...

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the US boy scouts just approve gay scout leaders for young men even after the debacle the catholic church has undergone with their priests and the leadership all over the US. Misplaced priorities IMO.

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rflshtr:
And the US boy scouts just approve gay scout leaders for young men ...

clearly some people disprove of such move, so well now I'm just wondering,

would it also bother some people if a gay person became part a hunting club/association
and became part of an educational group that encouraged young people to learn about and go hunting?

im baffled as to why the number of posts on AR recently about peoples angst with gays,
specifically on threads about a Dentist hunter who has allegedly been involved in poaching a lion.

As if HUNTING doesn't already have a tough job of trying to have a positive image,
now hunting supporters also like to be seen as internet gay bashers....no a very bright strategy I say.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax, my post was really addressed to the media who have misplaced priorities IMO. Under your scenario, with involved, experienced hunters, I would expect the other club or group members would adequately monitor the situation and dispense appropriate actions. No issues from my perspective with gay people wanting to participate in hunting activities, but am concerned with impact on youth in organizations.

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huntings image is not being threatened by the gay movement,
and as already stated someone else on AR, gays certainly have a far superior PR model compared to silly redneck hunters.

People with tunnel vision obsessed angst against gays, are probably missing the larger number
of shadowy pedophiles throughout society flying under the narrow homophobe 'gaydar' detector.
I guess some people would like to have gays in society compulsory 'marked' or identified
with yellow star type patch or something?

I Seriously wondering if the internet gay bashers on AR have really got priorities properly in order.

Just take a look around AR, you will see people who complain about being unfairly bashed cause they are hunters,
but themselves have no problem with their regular bash campaigns aimed at gays.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
yellow star type patch or something

Careful as you go with comments like that. Some people can and will get pretty offended.