New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes .270gr Triple Shock - ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many thousands of buffalo HA has put down?

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I can only judge based on my own direct experience, as that of others is always subject to the filter of interpretation.

Barnes bullets have killed for me quickly, reliably and without fail, each and every time I have used them.

And that has been many, many times.

I will continue to use them with total confidence.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
I have never posted a spear hunt on Youtube you lying knob. rotflmo

The fact remains a client of yours certainly appears on Youtube video detailing their spear hunt on waterbuff.
Since you allow your clients to film , then clearly you knowingly accept that the footage can appear on Utube.

IF you have not protested to the person who put it up, then I gather you are lapping up the attention from it.

I wonder about MG who questions & doubts ability of .375bore on DG, but then takes a client out after DG who is armed with a spear... 2020

If the mans not a walking talking hypocrite then I don't know who is.
__
BTW on another note: - my sources are gradually providing me more details on a hunting operation in Australia,
that apparently has taken large payment from clients, but has failed to deliver the hunt.
Give it some time and I will attempt to get the full details, so I can then responsibly share it with AR members.
blah, blah, frikken lying bullshit, blah.

I own six different 375H&H rifles. I have used them myself on buffalo. I would do so again. We give them to clients to use on buffalo. They work quite well.

Now run along and stop bullshitting. Roll Eyes

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
blah, blah, frikken lying bullshit, blah.

Clients of yours who hunt buff with spear and the videos appearing on Utube is in no way a lie.
You must be extremely desperate & foolish if you feel you have to now start denying the obvious.

quote:
375 Cal is marginal on very large animals, even with the latest and greatest.

Numerous people who have each individualy killed a distinctly much large pile of DG than MG -while using .375bore,
rate the effectiveness of that cal. with greater distinction.
&
I don't recall Saeed ever describing .375-300gnWalterhog performance as marginal.
his PHs can also no doubt vouch for the reliable consistent effectiveness delivered by that combo on a few hundred DG.

and if we want to go back in the calendar some,
Mr.Manners 1000 odd elephants with .375bore as an ivory hunter, then later his yrs as PH always backing his clients with his .375bore.

Now, It does not really matter if its Manners and his extensive .375bore success, or, Selby with his extensive .416 success,
we will still find that element of chest pumpers that display at SCI giving advice on calibre,- that bigger than .375 or .416 must be better,
despite some of them barely having a fraction of the experience or successful careers of the likes of Manners or Selby.

How about this generation of seeming know-it-all guides ,instead humble themselves and take the time to find out what made .375 and .416 so effective
in the hands of those two.

quote:
375 Cal is marginal on very large animals, even with the latest and greatest.

and yet the hunting guide who makes that statement allows paying clients to bounce spears off water buffalo.
A fine example of the hypocrites and clowns that we find operating in the hunting industry.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has to be a leading contender for the most schizophrenic website on the entire internet. Literally tens of thousands of pages of the best information available anywhere on hunting on every continent, absolutely world-class knowledge on every aspect, practical and theoretical, of firearms and ammunition and more alongside the silliest damned arguments about nothing to be found.

Far too many big game animals have been killed with .375 bore rifles for any reasonable argument to be made that they aren't fully capable, while a rudimentary knowledge of basic physics will reveal that more can be better.

Blondes versus redheads would be at least as interesting, and like this argument there's really no bad choice.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10564 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
quote:
Originally posted by infinito:
Mike, I cannot agree more. This is my finding this year. My "loan rifle" for Buffalo hunters is a pre 64 Winchester in .375 h&h. It is what I have. This year this rifle killed 6 HUGE bodied Buffalo bulls. I used .300gr. AFRAMES at 2,450fps at the muzzle this year. For my own hunting I use the Hornady DGX bullets. My rifle simply likes them more than the x-bullets. All these bulls died easily enough, some of them required more than one pill......

We will get the answer on the hippo soon when the video (low quality) is blown up and slowed down. The "twhack" on impact was VERY "meaty" though.

I want to make the following clear. My min choice for a Cape Buff hunter is to bring a 416 shooting 400gr bullets. But many deer hunters upgrading to Africa wants that "one rifle wonder". Reading enough will bring them to the .375 in its various popular forms and this is what they will get. Now they meet me at the show and I tell them it's o.k. for PG but they need a 416 for Buff????.

No, I am not the first to say this, but the .375 will do the job just fine IF the bullet is of premium quality and hits the right spot.......in 300gr. If you of course do not have a 416...:-)

The jury is still out on the 270gr bullets....i.m.h.o. and I will go out of my way to have clients shoot the .300gr bullets from now on if they bring the 375 for Buff.

Charl,

You use that pre-64 for a loaner? That's one classy loaner if its the same one you had in Moz.

I did that buffalo cull we discussed, all with 3 different bullets in the .458. Brought my life total up to 135.

Dogleg,

that sums up a lot of collected datas. you convince me to use the 350 grains barnes in my 458 ... your experience should be put a little more to be view. dont be shy.

Phil

Posts: 1876 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a little report on the Terminal ballistics thread in Big Bores. It would be on the last page or two.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Althoug many of my clients bring 270grins for the 375hyhs for water buffalo i always recommend a heavier bullet .Most of the 300grains can do well ,but i have had some problems with ligther bullets.Larry Sellers brougth 270s for capibaras and russian boars and 300 grains for buffalo.We didnt have any problem .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Althoug many of my clients bring 270grins for the 375hyhs for water buffalo i always recommend a heavier bullet .Most of the 300grains can do well ,but i have had some problems with ligther bullets.Larry Sellers brougth 270s for capibaras and russian boars and 300 grains for buffalo.We didnt have any problem .
No surprise there, that Larry knows what he is doing...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote