THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Use of Camouflage Clothing in Africa - Legal or Illegal?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of Camouflage Clothing in Africa - Legal or Illegal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have any of you had trouble wearing camouflage clothing while on Safari? "Military-type" camouflage is prohibited by some countries, which ones? Do they inforce the rule? Regards, AIU

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
My PH wears camoflauge in Namibia.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
bewildered WHY? you are not hunting alone. There are aleast two trackers the PH, a game scout, maybe a video guy. All will be trooping around WITH you and none of them in camo.

How many people do you see in the hunting videos (on safari) that are wearing that stuff.

The ONLY reason possible (to me) would be bow hunting, outside (no blind). Just you and the PH.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I hunted in South Africa, my camera man, my guide and I all routinely wore camo clothing.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Moyowosi (Tanzania) I wore a gillie suit. In fact I brought some for the trackers to wear at my PH's (Wayne Williamson) request. We walked right into the middle of Buffalo with them on.
Pretty neat really. We had 5 people sneeking along with suits and facemasks. Wayne liked the results so much I left him the suits for future hunts.
As for other camo, it depends on the country. If allowed the gillies work great but they sure aren't traditional safari outfits and you might get some opposition because of that, but results might be more important to you than imagine.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't try it in Zim. Elsewhere you are probably OK, esp. on private land.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Some countries do not allow the use of "Military" style of camo (Zambia is one of them). As far as I know, you can wear hunting style camo just about anywhere. Check with your PH, he should know.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:

How many people do you see in the hunting videos (on safari) that are wearing that stuff.

Those two Adventures Abroad dudes that hunt South Africa ALWAYS wear camo, even in the blind by a waterhole where the only living thing that can see them is the cameraman.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
We wore camo while hunting buffalo in Masailand. We, trackers/PH included, even wore face masks at the instance of the PH. Seemed to really help when those cows tried to stare you down.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never used camo in Africa, but it might be very helpful. I know that face masks help a lot on whitetail out here in Montana.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
bewildered WHY? you are not hunting alone. There are aleast two trackers the PH, a game scout, maybe a video guy. All will be trooping around WITH you and none of them in camo.

Exactly right. Plus, it's entirely unnecessary.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

Are you saying camo offers no advantage to the hunter?? None?? bewildered

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

Are you saying camo offers no advantage to the hunter?? None?? bewildered

No, just that any advantage is more in the marketer's mind than based in any reality I have experienced.

Somehow, despite the lack of camouflage, I have managed to get within fifteen or twenty yards of hundreds of Cape buffalo and elephant, ten to thirty yards of entire herds of hippo, fifty to one hundred yards of any number of antelope too numerous to count, and plenty close enough to get good shots at scores of other game animals.

Camouflage was invented for the military, and it's great for soldiers. But hunters are not soldiers.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those two Adventures Abroad dudes that hunt South Africa ALWAYS wear camo, even in the blind by a waterhole where the only living thing that can see them is the cameraman.

bewildered GEEE do you think that the camo company helped pay for those hunts????

I'll bet they did.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It´s interesting then to watch Saeeds videos from last years safari, when they used "leaf camo suits".

Looked to me that they succeseded to walk up to a lot of game in fairly open terrain wearing the camo suits.

Should like to hear RIP or Saeed commend if the camo made any difference or not?

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the RSA any cammo is legal EXCEPT the current SANDF pattern.

Posts: 73 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the question was about legalities however...

Those who don't think cammo especially the leafy suits or ghillie suits is of any use are perhaps a bit unimformed. Using an ASAT suit I got to within 15 yards of wildebeest, nyala, Kudu etc. Even had a monitor lizard within 6 feet and that one is pretty tough to do. True all you need to do is get to within 100 yards with a gun but there are instances that the "little things" like cammo reading the wind etc. will mean the difference between a sucessful hunt or going home empty handed.

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Why???

Why do people inject there opinion in when its not even part of the question?

As far as i have seen everything relates to military style camo. I would ask my outfitter to clarify what is legal in said country.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MATT,
Don't you guys wear sheep camo!!!!!! jumping or is that just for parties?? jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do people inject there opinion in when its not even part of the question?

Could be because they have something to say that they feel is intregal to the topic.

Why did you inject anything, because you could, that is pretty simple.

Now I am gonna add something that may or may not have anything to do with the question, because I want to.

While the legalities or posible legalities of using camo or certain types/patterns of camo are a definite concern when putting together the clothes you will be wearing during the hunt, for years and years, there seems to have been a very basic "Safari Uniform" that everyone on the safari wore.

The use of camoflage in America has exploded over the past 20 to 25 years, maybe it is just that the concept of usiong camo has started gainming a foot hold in Africa.

Hunters, especially smart/successful hunters evolve, if camo allows a hunter to turn a 100 to 150 yard shot into a 50 to 100 yard shot at a possibly calmer/less alerted critter, then by all means go for it if it is legal.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I met two groups of hunters in Zim after my hunt last year both of them got their camo clothing confiscated at the airport. (Bulawayo and Vic Falls.)

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even though in many countries the camo on private land is legal, I always try and never wear camo while traveling or in towns, public places etc., just no need drawing that attention. I do wear camo in Africa on some occasions,, spot and stalk with my bow etc., sitting in a hide or blind I just use dark colored clothing. What we wear is greatly influecned by what we see on Tv and the marketing involved,, same for here in the states. That surely is no big surprise.

The real question and the answer I would like to know is "which countries is camo legal in? Is there a list?

And on a side bar,, camo on safari? is it necessary? if so maybe the trackers could change out of their bright orange jump suites,, and do they need to use descented suites,, or decented soaps,, or maybe just soap,,

reminds me when I used to fish a lot of pro bass tournaments,, there was always a new hot bait that was the latest thing driven by tons of marketing money,, did they catch fish,, sure,, did they catch fishermen,, ALWAYS!

I just can't seem to find any of those blue colored "short" shorts here like they [the Ph] wears on all the shows,, guess i will stick with what is in the closet and save money for trophy fees

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Legality of cammo would depend on the country. No problem in wearing cammo in RSA.
I would, however, limit wearing cammo to the hunt area, not while in transit.
Before going, I looked at several video's to see what the major background/pattern would work the best. I just used one of my existing patterens that I have for hunting White Tail here in the States. I ran into another group at one of the camps and they had been using the leafy cammo that fluttered in the breeze but they were getting busted and were switching back to regular cloth cammo (the area we were in did not have broadleaf trees that would flutter in the wind like their cammo was). They were bow hunters and had to get close, so may not have had as much of an effect at longer ranges.
Like I said, look at video's and or pictures of the terrain that you will be in and match as best you can (no "Duck hunting reed patterens" if working an area with thorn Trees), etc. The reed pattern may work well in tall grass areas though.
When all else fails, ask the local Pro's (your Outfitter or PH), this is how they make their living!

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
EISH!! Just as long as you are not seen? Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote