Notify
Tools

Tuffpak Price Increase Jan. 1 2007
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
Damn kids chill out, life ain't that bad. Personally I use a Pelican, but may buy a Tuffpack. The question I have is when you go to check your guns and they are packed nice and tight in the Tuff, what do you do when TSA takes all the stuff out to get the gun out? They are not going to pack it back propely when they put the checked guns back in. I am dealing with $25,000.00 worth of two guns here, a mistake will be a very costly one.

Wow...there is an excellent point. You don't get to touch your guns period after you give them to TSA.

With respect to this thread, I don't think it belongs in the Africa forum anyway. Hell, if it does, allow me to post a great deal on my software - only to AR members.

I like the booking agents posting, but why does this guy get free ad space? If he wants to contribute with a link to a website, fine.

How about it Saeed? You yourself got pissed when people posted non-hunting African issues. Tuffpack is certainly not an Africa-only product.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Damn guys, what in the world would you guys do if you couldn't call each other names? Seems like this is becoming pissing contest central.

Buy what ever case you want, and use it where ever you want, and pack it however you want, and leave everyone else alone! I've had just about every kind of gun case made here and over seas, and none of them will protect a rifle from everything. When a case falls of a bag cart, and is run over by a tractor running behind it, you are likely to have a damaged rifle, and I don't care who made the case, or what it is made of, or how it's padded!

CRAP..............GET A LIFE!

pissers pissers pissers, and moan!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:

The quality of Tuffpak needs no defending.

Then why do you try to silence me when I tell about the rifle that was damaged in my tuffpak?

And why have you tried to silence others who had concerns about the tuffpak lock and TSA's need to cut the case open?

If you post on a forum then that means there will be discussion. If you do not want open discussion then a forum is not the proper place for your advertising.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
And why have you tried to silence others who had concerns about the tuffpak lock and TSA's need to cut the case open?

Silence you, Dan? Why should someone try to do that? YOu are way to much fun to try to do that !

Why should they need to cut open a case? Any case? Don't the rules provide that there should be only one key kept by the passenger? Why should they need to cut it open after the initial inspection in front of the passenger?

Anyone here had a case cut open by TRSA?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Rusty: Now that you mention it. I have. During my previous tour, I worked closely with the Dept Of Homeland Security, particularly with the Port Of Jacksonville that of course involves the airport.

I've had my previous guncase (not a Tuffpack) opened on more than one occassion even after I've checked it in at the counter.
The problem is one of standardization throughout the TSA network. I used to have a case with integral locks and fortunately, TSA was able to "pick" my locks for inspection. I know ths to be true because I asked them and I found a nice TSA "form letter" inside telling me they had done just that.

The "Achilles Tendon" of an integral lock is that it's a "single point failure." If the lock breaks or you lose the key you are done. What we use in the Navy is made by Impact Case & Container (picture below) and I also use it for my personal hunting guns. If you look at the image below, that is about as "Sailor Proof" as you can get and the locks are easily replaceable and in our case with TSA approved locks if required.

Tuffpacks require you, the user to formulate your own internal protection design by using clothing, foam and the purchase of additional inserts that while they do make life easier, I'ts a pain in the ass if you have to do any kind of repacking at the airport. The case I describe above is extrememly weel-made and it just looks, well, like you actually paid for something sturdy.

So the issues I have with Tuffpacks are the lock, the fact that I have to provide my own protection and that in my view they are expensive when you consider the materials involved.

On the plus side, as many here have explained, they are a great way to carry your guns AND gear in one neat package, it offers a great bonus of "camouflage" in that most people think you have golf clubs and if you pack them right as evidenced by most here, they do provide adequate protection. Having said that, and for the "do it yourself" packing process I am 100% certain that 500grains' (Dan) veracity is without question. Say what you want about him, but when it comes to integrity, his reputation with *me* is impeccable.

But look just like blondes, brunnettes & redheads, thankfully we all have choices. I like Ginger and Samantha and I'm sure others here will speak up for Mary Ann and Genie. Smiler jorge (edited to correct errors)

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Rusty: Now that you mention it. I have. During my previous tour, I worked closely with the Dept Of Homeland Security, particularly with the Port Of Jacksonville that of course involves the airport.

I've had my previous guncase (not a Tuffpack) opened on more than one occassion even after I've checked it in at the counter.
The problem is one of standardization throughout the TSA network. I used to have a case with integral locks and fortunately, TSA was able to "pick" my locks for inspection. I know ths to be true because I asked them and i found a nice TSA "form letter" isnside telling me they had done just that.

The "Achilles Tendon" of an integral lock is that it's a "single point failure." If the lock breaks or you lose the key you are done. What we use in the Navy is made by Impact Case & Container (picture below) and I also use it for my personal hunting guns. If you look at the image below, that is about as "Sailor Proof" as you can get and the locks are easily replacable and in our case with TSA approved locks if required.

Tuffpacks require you, the user to formulate your own internal protection design by using clothing, foam and the purchase of additional inserts that while they do make life easier, I'ts a pain in the ass if you have to do any kind of repacking at the airport. The case I describe above is extrememly weel-made and it just looks, well, like you actually paid for something sturdy.

So the issues I have with Tuffpacks are the lock, the fact that I have to provide my own protection and that in my view they are expensive when you consider the materials involved.

On the plus side, as many here have explained, they are a great way to carry your guns AND gear in one neat package, it offers a great bonus of "camouflage" in that most people think you have golf clubs and if you pack them right as evidenced by most here, they do provide adequate protection. Having said that, and for the "do it yourself" packing process I am 100% certain that 500grains' (Dan) veracity is without question. Say what you want about him, but when it comes to integrity, his reputation with *me* is impeccable.

But look just like blondes, brunnettes & redheads, thankfully we all have choices. I like Ginger and Samantha and I'm sure others here will speak up for Mary Ann and Genie. Smiler jorge

Ummm...I like Jeanie, but why she was with an air head zoomie was difficult for me to take.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice summary Jorge! Now, I have asked this question before and received no answer. Why would TSA need to open a case known to contain a firearm? It has been declared, and X-Ray's confirm that that there is a firearm. It is checked, and you have declared that it is unloaded. I have a Tuffpack that I have used once, without incident, however I bought it from MidSouth, not Mims.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why should they need to cut open a case? Any case? Don't the rules provide that there should be only one key kept by the passenger? Why should they need to cut it open after the initial inspection in front of the passenger?
Rusty, I don't know about cutting the case, but I always find a "inspected by TSA" note in my SKB gun case that I am pretty certain was after the initial inspection at check-in (including my last two trips to Canada, although they might have snuck the note in and I missed it).

With my cheapie SKB, I take multiple keys and also a spare lock kit which I got no-charge directly from SKB (however, in quite a few trips I have not needed it and the case and guns as well as my bino's and other goodies that I securely pack in the foam have never sustained any damage). I used an alum case the first few times, but found this too heavy, although Jorge's looks smaller. But hey, whatever system works and there any many as we see here.

With the TuffPac, how is it locked - does one use one of the TSA-approved locks to secure the lid?

I will add that while I have never longed for the TP on my trips to Africa, one would have been nice on the hunts to Canada as my gear including sleeping bag, Lowa boots and heavy coat consumed a lot of space in the Cabela's wheeled duffle.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Anyone here had a case cut open by TRSA?

There was one AR guy whose tp was cut open (but I doubt he will come forward just to be called names by the vendor).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Sailor proof! Does
quote:
Impact Case & Container
make clothing? I have two daughters and would like to make them sailor proof as well.

As far as tuffpak goes, I own and use one. Had no problems with it on a 4000+ mile trip to Kodiak Island. It sat outside for 15 days in every kind of weather conceivable and no issues, even with the metal parts.

I don't believe any company making rifle cases warrants protection of the contents. If there is one out there, I'd like to know.

Can you make a case that protects the contents when dropped from 30 feet onto concrete? Or make one that keeps the contents safe when a forklift runs into it (that happened to a rifle of mine courtesy of Fed X)? I'm sure you can, but not at an appropriate price or travel weight.

I haven't checked into it, but can you insure that kind of thing when traveling? I'd go for that option for my expensive rifles (as long as it covered the FULL value).

Just some thoughts.

And Jorge, please get back to me on the clothing question. Being a retired Army MP officer, I am quite familiar with the need for sailor proofing Wink

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I take out gun insurance every time I cross the ocean to hunt. It's with an agency in Florida, as recommended by SCI, and they insure for the full value, for loss, theft, damage, world wide.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim:T
The best way to "sailor proof" your daughters is to
introduce them to soldiers! You know the old saying that the best way to identify an aviator at the gym is to look for the one with a large watch and small privates parts! Ha! Ha!

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,
I have had TSA open my gun case without me being present. In one instance, they broke off one of the two locks on the case. I replaced it on the return trip. It is a Pelican case. My hunting partner was using a Tuffpak and other than my broken lock, neither of us had any problems.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Jim: Sailor proof clothing for your daughters? I'll tell you what a good friend also in the Navy told me about that issue as I have two daughters myself and he has two sons.

We were talking about the pitfalls of teeneagers, boys, girls and the birds & bees. Standard shit. What he said was a true profundity: "All I have to worry about" he said, "are two dicks, YOU in turn have at least two MILLION!" Smiler
Bryan: that is another true statement as I sit here and check the time on my Rolex GMT Master Smiler

jorge

PS: Do you know what happens when you put a sailor alone in a room with a ball bearing? He'll either paint it, lose it or F#ck it!....

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plus, for best results you also need to buy the TuffSack.

Starlight makes all manner of rugged cases. Not just for hunting rifles. I bought mine from Cabelas but papers inside said it was made by Starlight. FYI, a service disabled veteran owned business and the owner's grandaughter is an actress who played the younger daughter on the now defunct Vietnam war era drama, American Dreams.

http://www.starlightcases.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote