Find
Notify
Tools

Tuffpak Price Increase Jan. 1 2007
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I have just recently returned from the Tuffpak factory in El Cajon, California.
The factory has notified me there will be an increase in prices for the various Tuffpaks starting Jan. 1, 2007. This will be our first price increase in many years.
I thought I best give everyone advanced warning so you could save a buck or two if you are thinking of adding one into your inventory. Santa Clause is coming to town!
The new list price for the original case (#1049) which is still the number one selling Tuffpak will be $355.00. That is a $20 increase over the present price.
All Tuffpaks in the near future will have new wheels which will be a ball bearing type and test show that it will roll even easier than the present wheel. This wheel will be fazed into production and can not be retrofitted to older cases as it is just a bit taller. We had to modify the mould wheelwell just a bit.
We are looking into a TSA type lock. If... this lock is deemed workable you will have to order a TSA type lock or the current vending machine type lock at time of purchase. We are still researching the new lock and it is not written in stone yet.
Hunters Headquarters will be in our usual corner booth (#229) at the Dallas Safari Club Convention in Jan. and we will grip and grin with you in the Tuffpak booth in Reno as always.
We look forward to seeing everyone and hearing all the wild and wooly tales.
We just returned from 4 days outside of Cordoba, Argentina where we shot dove for 2 days, changed lodges and shot wood pigeons for 2 days. One Benelli 20ga. and 3,100 shot shells later we re-packed our Tuffpak and rucksack and flew home to Texas.
No problems with TSA or customs in Chile, Argentina or upon return into Dallas / Ft. Worth airport. No extra charges for anything.
What a super time. Almost as much fun as you can have with your clothes on! Big Grin

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How was the pigeon shooting?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry, the folks that make Tuff Pack need to look into offering an upgrade lock to the existing Tuff Packs, a retrofit so that their customer base is not left out. I think it should be a doable deal if they want it. I also think that the upgrades they make to the current line should also include the ability to retrofit older models. IMHO

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry

What is the weight of an empty tuffpak and what is the capacity?

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and what is the capacity?

In fifths or quarts?

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill...the shooting in Argentina was just super. I had a ball...3100 shells in 4 days. I am going again in 2008.
Leonard...most likely not going to get your wish.
New wheel will not work on older cases.
The lock thing maybe.
Fergus...17 pounds..3 scoped rifles in soft cases or 5 shotguns in soft cases.
Out of here and off to the ranch...deer season is on in Texas!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair warning: I had a well-padded rifle damaged in a Tuffpak.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the interior of the tuffpak padded and compartmentalized so that each rifle is segregated from the other? Sorry, there website doesn't show the inside of the case.

Dutch

Making myself a member of the DRSS. Taking the Rigby out for deer tomorrow.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Is the interior of the tuffpak padded and compartmentalized so that each rifle is segregated from the other? Sorry, there website doesn't show the inside of the case.

Dutch

Making myself a member of the DRSS. Taking the Rigby out for deer tomorrow.

No -- it is open. At a minimum you need the rifles in a soft case with good padding. I am not sure if the new ones have padding on the ends or not. Mine did not but I have added some foam

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Charles.

Dutch

"Can you please drop the vernacular!" "It's a doiby!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
All Right! 500 Grains has once again chimned in with his usual doom and gloom warning about the serious damage you get in Tuffpak cases so we now have that out of the way on this thread.
Now we can get down to real business.
Dutch,
The cases have no padding or dividers anywhere.
Our object is to provide you with max room to pack whatever you need to take. How you get it padded is your decision. Most of us do so by using soft cases we need when we arrive at the hunt and all the clothing etc. we take. Some folks cut foam out to size and place in both ends. Like many, I always have so much "stuff" inside that I have not had need to do that so far but it is a good thing to have I am sure if needed.
My personal case has been on more safaris than I have darn it. It just returned from shooting birds in Argentina but I was with it this time. Smiler As usual...no damage to goods.
I went for a week in one Tuffpak / Tuffsak and my rucksak that I bought from Cabela's. Great way to go if you can as you have one hand for the Tuffpak and one hand free to open doors, hand over tickets, wave goodbye to your friends as you leave for your hunt etc.etc. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Mine went to Tanzania (as did my buddy's) two months ago. Everything arrive on that end and this end in good shape. Packed the rifles in soft cases and put sweaters and other clothes at both ends to provide padding on the ends. Was nice to be able to pack some other stuff in the case. I like mine.

Mike

Posts: 21697 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will you have the cases at Dallas?

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bryan,
Yes sir...we will have plenty of cases in Dallas (booth 229) and in Reno ( booths 103 - 105) and we look forward to seeing you at one or both!
Mjines...that is the way it works. Thanks for the report. Hope you had a great hunt.
Better tomorrows,
Mims

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry:

I will chime in with 500 grains...that case is made of nothing but plastic (okay, maybe high strength plastic). It has no padding. So why nearly 400 bucks? The margins on these must be like software. Other than the wheels, I see no reason to replace my aluminum case.

I simply don't trust my guns in a padded soft case. But since you need a softcase anyway in Africa, I can see some of the charm.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4 trips to Africa
4 trips to Argentina
Not a scratch or ding on any thing inside clap

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
harry, just to be clear: If your gun has not been damaged inside of a tuffpak then that is only becuase the airlines have not dropped it hard enough yet. Pass the Pelicans, please.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
My Browing Travel Vault has been to Africa twice and many other destinations. None of my rifles has ever lost zero.

From the marks on the case, it has been abused big time. With its hinge system and double locks, I am hanging with Dan on this one.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought two pelican single rifle cases(if there is such thing)that I will recieve in a couple of days.I thought I was flying but it turns out I will be driving.I bought a flambeau case a year back and paid quite a bit for it.I am not pleased with that shit-money thrown away.The only case I've seen that will make me feel that my rifles are safe are the pelican cases.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I simply don't trust my guns in a padded soft case. But since you need a softcase anyway in Africa, I can see some of the charm.

I have been to Africa 7 times and never once used a soft case other than to put in a Tuff pack, once I get there the soft cases just lay under my bed for a month.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I switched to a tuffpak this year because of the new weight limits. I can put my two rifles and soft cases in, a couple of shirts and a couple pairs of pants.Then place some extra foam padding puts me right at the 50 pound limit. I also take the bolts out of my guns and pack them seperately to help reduce any pressure on the stocks. My other checked bag is able to carry all my ammo etc. and still be at the 50 pound limit. I agree with 500 grains that the Pelican cases are a bit safer. If the weight limit had not come up I would still be using mine.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
When I've had them I've used softcases a lot in Africa. Usually the rifle sits in the softcase in the rack until a tracker pulls it out to hand to you.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What if you pulled the foam out of a Pelican case, and just put the guns in soft cases/filled it up with clothes? If your case gets hit hard enough to break the pelican case, nothing's going to save your guns, and it seems like a soft case, and some clothes should save the guns from damage -- might not preserve the zero, though.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well gee 500 grains...I guess multiple trips to Africa, several trips inside the US and one just this month to Argentina (two different coutries and two different airlines) just means my poor Tuffpak never got a chance at rough handling.
I bet it has always been carried about on a feather pillow.
I really don't care which case you use. Your purchase or lack of is not going to take food from my mouth.
There are some folks that seem to think Tuffpak is the case for them and it works for them. Other choose one of the many other good cases on the market today. Tuffpak is NOT a gun case...it is just a CASE period. What you choose to put in it is up to you. How you protect what you put in there is up to you. Many buyer find that this case works great with guns, soft gun cases and clothing. I just sold at Tuffpak to a Univ. of North Texas music prof. He carries his horn in there as Tuffpak is better than the case made for his horn so he says. Tuffpak is a CASE, use it as you wish.
As to prices...I am a dealer and not the manuf. so I do not know the cost to make. Maybe it is like an automobile...it cost you $30,000 for brand 'X' auto because that it just what it cost if you wish to have that car. I wasn't thrilled with the prices I just paid for two Ford F150 Super Crew cab pickups but it was pay that price or see if I could get my 1995 Kawasaki Mule up to road speed. Roll Eyes
I wrote the check and drove off happy with my two new toys.
Maybe the real question is...take the cost of any case you like (say Pelican) and ask yourself if that cost is in line with what you can pack in it as compared to what you can put inside a Tuffpak case?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:

Maybe the real question is...take the cost of any case you like (say Pelican) and ask yourself if that cost is in line with what you can pack in it as compared to what you can put inside a Tuffpak case?

Tuffcraps are certainly not cheap. But even if they were free, the crucial issue is the customer's gun getting damaged in one.

I had foam padding in both ends of the Tuffcrape and the rifle was in an extremely well padded case (1.5 inch foam on each side of the rifle). Add to that as many clothes as I could fit in, for additional padding. Yet the rifle was damaged. Apparently you think that I am a bad person because my rifle was damaged. Or perhaps you think I am a bad person because I speak out about what happened. Do you think that I would remain silent while you peddle snake oil??

So it really does not matter that your guns have not been damaged in a Tuffcrap yet. They will be. It is only a matter of time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From the other postings it appears you are a minority. It is just not the experience of the majority of others that have posted their experiences.
I am not saying you are a bad person just a small person with a burr in his ass who does not seem to understand that others do not have a problem with the case. They bought one, used it and are happy with it.
We(others on the forum) have no proof that you had a problem. You may be just spinning some yarn yourself. Maybe you are the snake oil salesman.
Feel free to raise all the hell you wish because as best I can tell you are helping sales no end. You bitch and I get orders.
Kinda like 50 % of the folks know that you are wrong and the other 50% buy one to see if you are right.
Please...spell the name right...I wouldn't want to lose a sale!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:

We(others on the forum) have no proof that you had a problem. You may be just spinning some yarn yourself. Maybe you are the snake oil salesman.

Mims Reed, it is true that you have always come across as an ignorant ass in the boorish way that you peddle your wares, and that is fine. But I take offense to your false accusation. Perhaps you can explain what motivation I would have to pretend that I had a rifle damaged in a Tuffcrap? You are really grasping at straws. Wake up to reality Mr. Reed - your product does not protect rifles very well. My rifle was damaged because Tuffcraps do not offer reliable protection.

If your rifle has not been damaged in a Tuffcrap, it is only becuase the airlines have not dropped it hard enough yet.

And by the way, I do not believe your lie about orders increasing. If orders increased every time I posted, you would not be trying to hard to shut me up. Between TSA needing to cut the lock out when they want to look inside and the lack of protection for rifles,...well you know the rest.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
And by the way, I do not believe your lie about orders increasing.

Dan,
Just my opine here sir, but that's uncalled for.
A quick call to TuffPak would settle the issue.

Mims has no reason to lie.

I don't know of any rifle case Brand that will protect a rifle if it's thrown, dropped or damaged enough. It's only a matter of when.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Along the lines of Rusty's comments, to me there is an element of assumption of the risk here. Anyone that looks at a TuffPak can see that it is a hollow plastic case that they will need to take whatever steps they deem apprpriate to ensure that the contents are not subject to shifting or breaking. To me, if something gets damaged, either (i) the owner failed to do his job, or (ii) the handling of the case was such that despite the owner's best efforts the handling of the case was too rough. But to blame the case, or worse yet the seller, seems a bit disingenious.

Mike

Posts: 21697 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Dan,

DISCLOSURE-I own a Tuffpak, think it is the best case on the market and consider Mims a good guy..

Your attacks on Mims are certainly unwarranted. You are the only person I have ever heard from who has experienced damaged firearms as a result of transporting them in a Tuffpak. One incident out of literally thousands is completely insignificant and would tend to lead people to believe the incident was a result of owner error, improper use or improper packing.

You are an intelligent and industrious fellow, why don't you track down some other incidents where firearms have been damaged as a result of being transported in a Tuffpak. Doing so would might make your posts appear less personal and better inform consumers and members of this forum when they are deciding which case to purchase.

With your penchant for documenting facts, I am certain if you can find any stories similar to yours, you will provide evidence of the damage. Photographs, sworn statements or at least a similar first person story to support the claims would be far more informative than the continual posting of your single undocumented claim. Until you do so, please refrain from posting on future Tuffpak threads as we are all well aware of your experience with that product and your posts appear to be designed to advance some personal grudge against Mims rather than inform potential customers of the quality of the product.

Mims,

One all future threads regarding Tuffpaks, please post the following as the first sentence to the post:

500grains claims he once used a Tuffpak to transport his firearm and during the process the firearms were damaged through no fault of his actions.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
And by the way, I do not believe your lie about orders increasing.

Dan,
Just my opine here sir, but that's uncalled for.
A quick call to TuffPak would settle the issue.

Mims has no reason to lie.

Actually he does: commercial gain. But I do not as I am not in the gun case business. But that is the accusation Mims made. And I await his apology.

quote:
You are the only person I have ever heard from who has experienced damaged firearms as a result of transporting them in a Tuffpak.

Actually I know of another fellow who also had a problem but has not come forward here. But Mims will probably accuse me of lying about that too.

And let's not forget how Mims acted when people asked about the lock. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually Dan, with all your clout, I'm sure Tuffpack would listen to your request for an improved lock. As strongly as you feel about this matter, I would guess that you probably have contacted them, already?

After all you are the consumer.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Damn kids chill out, life ain't that bad. Personally I use a Pelican, but may buy a Tuffpack. The question I have is when you go to check your guns and they are packed nice and tight in the Tuff, what do you do when TSA takes all the stuff out to get the gun out? They are not going to pack it back propely when they put the checked guns back in. I am dealing with $25,000.00 worth of two guns here, a mistake will be a very costly one.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1263 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brain 1,
If you purchase the Tuffsak that goes inside your Tuffpak life becomes easier when putting guns in or taking them out.
I put the guns in the soft case muzzle down and then inside the Tuffsak (a big nylon duffle that goes inside your Tuffpak)..all the other goods are packed in zip lock bags, bags from the cleaners, trash sacks etc. They are around the outside of the Tuffsak and find where they want to ride during the trip.
When show and tell time comes you undo the drawstring top on the Tuffsak, unzip your soft case just enough to get the gun up far enough to show them it is unloaded. Then you will find that the Tuffsak has prevented anything from slipping under your soft case during all this and you can put the gun back in with ease. The nylon Tuffsak acts as a barrier preventing anything from getting in the wrong place.
The Tuffsak also nice for two other reasons. One being when you need something in or out of the case in a hurry. You just unzip the full lenght double zipper on the side and do what you need to do.
The other reason to have the Tuffsak is when someone says, "I know this is your charter but we have no room in the plane for a hard case." Then you pull out your Tuffsak with all your gear and go on about your safari. You are not looking for a pocket to suff you skivvies in! You pick up the hard case on the way back in from the hunt. This has happened to me.

Dan or 500 Grains or whatever your name is.
Tuffpak is not my main source of income by a hell of a long shot. I don't need to make some wild claim in order to sell one more case. I made a hell of a good living as a straight commission manuf. rep for 23 yrs. Now, among other things, I also own 13,000 acres of working sheep and cattle ranches in the lone star State of Texas all free and clear.
Tuffpak is a spit in the ocean as to my income. Try another tactic.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Dan and Mims,

I agree with Brain. Neither of you guys are doing yourselves any favors. Any one whos been around these forums knows what your positions' are on the TP. Let it go...

Mods,

Just wondering why this thread is in the African hunting forum? Shouldn't it be in the Classified or Travel section?

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted Hide Post
Yes it's true what my father told me. "Success Breeds Arrogance"

What does owning 13000 acres in Texas have to do with the quality of a Tuffpak?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Devildawg...what owning ranches has to do with Tuffpak is to dispute the comment by 500 grains that I am desperate to do anything to make a sale. Tuffpak is just one of many items I have on my web site but my main income is from ranching. I hope that clears that point up.
The quality of Tuffpak needs no defending.

one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post

Do you get into a pissing match on every thread for a reason or is it just your personality?

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Takes two to get into a pissing match.

BOOM lefty

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
More like

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote