THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Do you still want to hunt Africa!?!?!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you still want to hunt Africa!?!?!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everyone I speak to about hunting in the stans talks about massive corruption shifty outfitters etc. last thing I want to do on a vacation is deal with someone trying to shake me down or hustle me. I can have little touristy scams like someone hustling me for $5 at an airport but I cannot have my outfitter hustling me.

Exactly the way I felt about my last hunt in Zimbabwe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
Everyone I speak to about hunting in the stans talks about massive corruption shifty outfitters etc. last thing I want to do on a vacation is deal with someone trying to shake me down or hustle me. I can have little touristy scams like someone hustling me for $5 at an airport but I cannot have my outfitter hustling me.

An there is no shortage of them. Why - cause this activity (hunting) is random non repeatable (every specific hunt is unique) and the out is it is hunting.

I have had good luck in Africa and last thing I ever want to do is stray from it. I am far more risk averse to trying something new in Africa to elsewhere.

I am willing to risk hunting (searching) new fishing locations, vacations but not hunting. And definitely not hunting in Africa.

I like consistency. May not have the sense of adventure etc. but end of day this is serious money (at least to the average American whose annual income often buys 2 safari hunts).

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You can avoid all this if you hunt with a reputable outfitter, and have him meet you at the airport.

Only time we have ever had any hassle was when the company representative tried to play a trick on us on the way home.

He said there is a problem with the paperwork for the rifles, and he was happy to send them to us a few days later.

I knew he was pulling one on us.

I told him our PH is waiting for my call on the sat phone, and I will be happy to call right now instead of when we get through immigration.

He went back to the office, and came back with our rifles without any further trouble.

Needless to say, he got no tip, which I would have given him.

Paying a meet and greet service helps too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
On a scale of "10", I'm a "100", and I could hunt cape buffalo every year of the rest of my life! However my age, going on 81 yrs and income has become inadequate to hunt Africa any longer!

I have hunted Alaska and Canada a lot over the years, and that has about priced me out of the game as well, so I guess my double rifles will have the be satisfied with some local deer, and wild hog hunting here in the USA!

.................................................................. CRYBABY old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
After 36 DG safaris

Cry me a river, Aaron! Smiler Having only done two and trying very hard to afford a third, I live vicariously through folks like you, Saeed, Larry and others that have through your hard work, the ability to afford many. OH and my desire is a 100, on a scale of 1-10, but my wallet dictates otherwise Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:

You can avoid all this if you hunt with a reputable outfitter, and have him meet you at the airport.

Only time we have ever had any hassle was when the company representative tried to play a trick on us on the way home.

He said there is a problem with the paperwork for the rifles, and he was happy to send them to us a few days later.

I knew he was pulling one on us.

I told him our PH is waiting for my call on the sat phone, and I will be happy to call right now instead of when we get through immigration.

He went back to the office, and came back with our rifles without any further trouble.

Needless to say, he got no tip, which I would have given him.

Paying a meet and greet service helps too.

The problem is that not all "reputable" outfitters are reputable. Things change.

I can't imagine that anyone would be stupid enough to try and screw you over Saeed. Your reputation and experience in the field should be well known. It just goes to show that there are idiots no matter where you go! Think of the future business that stupid slob threw away by trying to squeeze you for a few bucks. What a moron!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After 16 trips, it it the first time in a long time that I don't have one booked. I have taken my father who at age 75 stoned a 42" buffalo, taken my brother, and watched him take on the Luangwa as a guest of Andrew Baldry with buff and leopard in 10 days. Last year I got to watch my 11 year old son take a great bag of game including a 40' Cape buff under the steady hand of Rich Tabor.

I have loved Africa and shared Africa with those I loved. I have been fortunate and blessed to share trips with my great friend Larry Shores. Africa has been good to me. Couple of lions. Somewhere around 20 buff (I have to count), 3 leopards, 9 ele and all the other stuff I could want except that massive Kudu. Pretty good since I was not the main shooter for three of those trips.

Having said all that at 55 the cost of my annual hunting is getting prohibitive. I spend too much and need to reign it in some. The costs to hunt Africa just seem to climb. This past trip in July, I got stuck for $27,500 by vouching for someone who was to go with me and backed out with 3 weeks to go. I paid his air fare, deposit and had to cover the rest of his daily rates etc. Lesson learned shame on me. But it left a sour taste in my mouth and to be honest, I didn't even want to go. Once I got with Rich and the boys though, it was a fine time. It always is.

Dad is 85 now. I wish I could take him back. It probably won't happen. My son is dying to go. But how much is too much? I wish my wife enjoyed it.
My time there heals my soul. But the cost in USD is high. I guess if we have to put a number to it I am at a 6. Sure do like hunting ele though.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do anything enough you will be ready to move on to something else !!!! For me hunting is about seeing different places and having different hunting experiences. I don't see the fun of repeating the same experience umpteen times even if it was great! I know someone (not saeed) who hunts 40 to 60 days each year in Tanzania and has been doing this for the last 10 years! I have told him so many times he needs to try something new......

I would love to shoot a sable but the experience would be no different to a cheaper plains game animal. So I prefer to save my money and hunt say an Ibex which is a totally different experience.

Similarly if you are limited by funds hunt an Ibex as opposed to a Marco Polo, different animal but same experience.

My recent Bongo hunt was all about the experience and less about the hunt or the trophy as I mentioned in my hunt report.

And of course hunting with friends or family is fun. But I do also like hunting on my own.

If i had all the money I would shoot everything on earthSmiler

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite up there with Aaron in numbers. I enjoy new places and experiences but also like the old ones too.

I'm getting to the point that I do have to repeat things in Africa, but some I can't justify... like shooting another white rhino.

If time and funds allowed, I'd be there 60-90 days a year hunting the big 5. Desire is still a 9-10 of 10.

I enjoy hunting North America, but dealing with overhunted areas, and the inability in general to hunt whatever happens to be there (like I'm hunting moose and we see a nice bighorn ram, I'm unable to say ok, now it's a sheep hunt.... whereas over there a buffalo hunt has turned into kudu, or elephant into lion... I just don't enjoy North American hunting as much as Africa with its more generous hunting regulations. There it's just money (within reason), but here its bureaucrats making nonsensical decisions and rules (Minnesota wolf hunting as an example)...

I just booked an Austrailian hunt, and will see how it compares.

Maybe Europe or Asia will get the nod one of these days also, but I know I will be back to Africa as long as they let me.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
The Mara, the Tana, Voi, the Aberdares, the Lado, Arusha, the Selous, Naro Moro, Moyowasi, the Zambezi, Laikipia, Kafue, Thika, Maun, Maputo - all of these places have their own histories (yes in the context of hunting, that's how I learned about them), and to see them would be awesome.

For my own waning...it has been watching the deterioration of these areas. It makes me sad to see them and remember how they once were.

One has to live in the real world. If you want to hunt or be around big 5 - you will have to go to a large scientifically managed conservancy. There will be a outside double fence, you will have grind roads, a scientifically determined quota, guys with assualt rifles doing anti poaching.

All the talk of remote areas and fly in camps have few elephants and no rhinos.

The reality of Africa is same as the reality of us - there are no massive herds of Buffalo roaming any planes.

One has to deal with and manage the reality of humans. Just like one has to deal with and manage the reality that everyone of them will have a cell phone.

Mike

Agreed but my way of managing that reality is to go less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've slowed down somewhat as well. I've been on 16 hunts in Africa, and taken just about everything I intend to take. The only real interest I have left is in rustic camps in remote areas. I don't need a chef in camp or a chalet with en suite bathroom. Hunting for me is different than a vacation.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff brings up a good point . At 61, I am thinking a bit more about what I spend on hunting. It has been, at times, out of control.

I have whacked 50 buffalo. I find myself asking why should I spend the money on another? I dearly love hunting them. I am having a much harder time justifying the expenditure.

It appears that 2018 will be the first year since 2005 that I am not going to Africa. We are going to Argentina, Australia and Tajikistan instead.

Right now I wish I had done more sheep hunting when I was young and held Africa for later in life.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
at 36 now and started my Africa bug over 20 years ago, I like it as much now. Hunting Asia/Europe/America is great also but Iam like Baxter I could go to Africa just for the trip and safari life.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is interesting reading everyone's post. We are all unique in many ways.

A friend who hunted about everything Tanganyika had to offer except rhino left the country in 1965 and has never gone back. I have asked him to go back with me and he politely declines. I show him pictures of the house he was raised in and the house he built. We talk of old friends, of old hunting places. He has no interest in returning. He wants to remember Africa "the way it was".

We put my brother on an East African Airways flight, 50 years ago this summer, to go to college in the States. He never returned. I have asked him to go hunting with me. To see old friends. He has no interest. (He will hunt with me in America, but not Africa.) He is happy to see the photos and hear of my trips, but it is not for him. Money is not the issue. He has traveled the entire world except Africa. He just wants to "remember Africa the way it was".

Both have what I call the Isaac Dinesen (Karen Blixen) syndrome. They both hunted Africa.
They both loved Africa and had fond memories, but they choose to relive Africa, only in their memories, and then, only in the memories of their youth.

I have returned to Africa and will continue to return. More times to visit than to hunt, but I still return to hunt. There is something about Africa that is in my soul and in my being that I pray will always call out to me. At least I hope it does. I hope I never get jaded about the landscapes and the flora and fauna and the people. I hate the long flight, but my spirit is refreshed and reborn when I wake up to the call of the cape turtle dove. It will always be a good day when it is morning in Africa!

Posts: 818 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as I have money and there are Buffalo, I'm going!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My response would be a combination of many comments that have already been made. Going to Africa heals me; it's been my yearly (and sometimes twice yearly) therapy. I've been 14 times (actually more if you consider hunting more than one country on one trip to Africa with different PHs). But, it seems that the cost in USD gets higher and higher. I've shot the Big Five, the Dangerous Seven(some species more than once) taken over 120 plains game(some also more than once). I've taken my own rifles, hunted alone, had my wife accompany me on at least 6 safaris, and have hunted with friends as well. There are some species that I would still like to take, but given that the costs now are so high, they are cost prohibitive for me. I have a daughter and her family who now lives in Alaska and that part of the country now intrigues me. I have a prime Nevada area 24 mule deer tag this year (after 12 years of buying preference points) and I'm finally getting excited about hunting the West again. I also love to fly fish and have done so for the last 44 years. The big fish of the Pacific Northwest still draw me back over and over again. I've spent many years hunting Mexico and have enjoyed that as it is close to home and offers its own species and challenges. Nothing will erase my love for Africa, but I'm not as rabid about hunting there as I used to be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Biebs. I was looking at the Offered and Discounted Hunts the other day and saw one where the outfitter basically said they were going off into the woods with some little tents to see what was there. That sounds like a great hunt to me.
Other than that, I have only been three times so there's still lots for me to see and do over there, even on a fairly civilized hunt. My desire is right up where I wish my bank account was.
About the only kind of NA hunting that really gets me excited is bob white quail. I'd hunt those every day if I could.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
This year was trip 3 and I could hardly contain myself. I always find myself thinking to the next trip before the current trip is done. I have so many more wants and trips than $$$$ and time. Already looking forward to 2019 and my 2017 safari has not yet cooled down yet.

I love lost the majority of the passion for hunting in the states. Hunting public land with 10,000 other orange hat wearing hunters gets old. Not a good experience for my youngster.

I apply apply apply and for example this year I applied for around 40 tags and drew 1. It is a great tag. I could purchase some over the counter tags but don't have much desire to hunt with the masses, worry about what the hunters all around me are doing and if they are going to shoot over the top of my head.

Africa truly is my happy place.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
The Mara, the Tana, Voi, the Aberdares, the Lado, Arusha, the Selous, Naro Moro, Moyowasi, the Zambezi, Laikipia, Kafue, Thika, Maun, Maputo - all of these places have their own histories (yes in the context of hunting, that's how I learned about them), and to see them would be awesome.

For my own waning...it has been watching the deterioration of these areas. It makes me sad to see them and remember how they once were.

Exactly!!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's so much to see and do and so little time. I'm 57 and will go as long as I'm able. Always torn between going back to places I've loved and doing things a bit differently and going to new places with unknown outfitters/Ph's. Haven't been to Uganda, Zambia or the Caprivi Strip yet, but they are on the list. Want to go back to the Selous, get in shape and hunt buffalo and leopard on Longido mountain,do a walking hunt along the Wuku in Lukwati,etc.

My wife went to Masailand with me this year -- her first trip. She asked me this morning if she should get her hep booster. I said it depends on whether she wants to go back. She made an appointment.

When I'm not booking a trip to Africa, I'm collecting and reading books on African hunting, history, culture and politics. So I guess I'm still addicted.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting thread. I went on 3 safaris back from 1983-1989, when I was in my twenties. 15 and 24 day safaris in Zimbabwe and a 24 day safari in Botswana.

After that, marriage, kids and other obligations kept me from going back for 20 years. It bothered me quite a bit to no longer be going but I had bigger concerns in life, not the least of which was an unsupportive wife when it came to such endeavors. Fast forward to 2009 and I planned a 2 week family vacation/hunt to South Africa for the family. it was a fantastic family trip. I haven't been back since.

Instead of going back, I had to deal with the mortgage industry meltdown and an expensive divorce. Now, that's all behind me and I'm actively considering several African hunts in the coming years. One of the first upcoming hunts is probably going to be with Alan Vincent in the Selous for my son and I. Alan was about 10 years old when I first hunted with his father and taking my son over to hunt with him will be a special opportunity.

After that, I'm interested in Zambia, Mozambique, west Africa and a couple other places I'd love to hunt and experience. I plan on hunting somewhere in Africa at least every other year going forward, as long as my health and finances will allow.

But I also 'get' where Aaron is coming from as there is nothing I'd rather hunt than big bulls during the elk rut. Big mule deer are right behind that.

For me, the fire is burning brighter than it has for a long time.

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 57, and have only been over to RSA once, and that was to hunt plains game. During my stay, I took a nice Impala, Nyala, Bushbuck, Greater Kudu, and Gemsbok. The Kudu is what I went there for, and I was hooked. Not a day has passed since then that I haven't thought of going back. I'm a working man who has to save for these things week to week, and I think I have enough time and money to do it one more time, this time in Namibia. I hate the plane ride, and the stress that goes with traveling that far, but it is worth it to me. I am glad that the DG bug has never bitten me, and that my interests lay with Kudu and a few other plains game, that keeps it affordable. I think that one more trip will be enough, then I can work on my remaining North American goals.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Well Aaron.......money does not seem to be a problem for you. For many of us it is. So some of the things you do routinely are what some of us hope to do once.

I am not pointing fingers , just saying it like it is.I have been to Zim twice and Namibia once. I am not a collector but I find myself in a place where I only am really interested in hunting things I cannot afford now. Shot a couple buff, but want more to do with the dangerous game. Sadly that is not my financial position in life.

On the other hand I like wilderness and hunting for North American game in the middle of nowhere. I have guided up here in Northern Canada for decades. Real wilderness........no people. So barring a win in the lottery I am content with that.

I can never afford what I want to do in Africa now in the future. So it is a non-entity. But maybe, just maybe I can pull off some other North American hunts that I have been putting off......not real wilderness by any means but things to do, like Coues deer in Mexico and perhaps pronghorn in NM. Shot lots of them in Alberta, WY and MT, but still want to get a buster. Time will tell.

Africa.......has greatly priced itself out of my ability to do what I want. I am not a trophy collector.......only certain species appeal to me. Most cost a lot of money., LOL

Cheers to all.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am getting to the point that unless I can be in a remote camp, Africa just doesn't feel right. I for sure have ZERO desire to hunt behind a fence; only did that once on my first hunt for a few species, and while I never saw the fence, I always knew it was there.

Just shooting ordinary plains game doesn't hold the appeal it used to. I don't regret shooting what I have, but for me there needs to be an element of challenge - that is why the cats are so intriguing to me. You can elevate the challenge by being more selective on anything. Let's face it: a kudu of 60 inches that is free range is a tremendous animal. But bopping an ordinary buffalo doesn't really appeal to me much. I have only shot 8 buff, but don't find them as satisfying as an elk or moose hunt. And frankly, hey don't hold a candle to a big bear.

As for Aaron, he is from a different planet. I heard from my brown bear guide he just booked a bowhunt for brown bear...he needs a bit more challenge than I do.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Namibia young maaaaaannnnnnn.....

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More than anything in the world I would like to go buffalo hunting.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if I should throw in my .02 or not having not been to africa

I dreamed of going to africa, I would use some of my allowance to buy an african hunting magazine I believe it was published about 4 times/year but always thought the prices would be out of my reach

Now i'm almost 30 so still plenty of time but I look at the cost to get there and hunt and it certainly seems attainable until you start to figure all of the "extras" and the logistics, realistically i'd love to bring home a kudu & gemsbuck for shoulder mounts and I have to ask myself is it worth it?

so my desire is probably a 5: I can find better things to do with that $$, I can go hunt out west quite a few times DIY or a few decent drop hunts or even a fully guided hunt

where my desire to change would be if I could talk my wife & parents into joining me, but I'm not sure if an outfitter would want me/us as I would partially want to "hunt" africa to see africa and not in the manner of a photo camp, I want to take my rifle & camera for a hike. so if they were going my desire is up to an 8 or 9

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
As long as I have money and there are Buffalo, I'm going!

Agreed...I'm even getting used to that god awful 16 hour flight to Joburg Big Grin

I'll never shoot a 100 buff, but I'm damn sure gonna try dancing

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
I don't have the experience of many on this sight. I have been 5 times. US customs, shipping companies, SAPs and unscrupulous outfitters are all real pains in the ass. They truly take a lot of the fun out of it. I don't mind the long flight from Atlanta. Red wine and Ambien help alot. I have finally found several outfitters that I would hunt again and again with. That is the key. Honest people without BS. I would stay home now and hunt my own land for deer, bear and turkeys, but my family loves Africa. As long as I can afford it, I will continue to take them. I never need to pull the trigger again. Watching and helping my boys is far more enjoyable. I have run out of room, so the next trip is going to cost me about 150k for an addition to the house before airfare, daily rate,trophy fees etc. maybe just pics and cull hunts. My wife and daughter love going. So for our 20th wedding anniversary next year, it will likely be another trip. Per animal, it is probably the best value on the planet.

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have only been twice and cannot wait to return. I feel Africa is by far the best value for my coin. I am blessed to have a wife that loves going as much as I do. It will take a lot of trips before the desire wanes.

Safe travels..........Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I still want to hunt in Africa but aside from other things I want a good hunt for my money.I don't want to pay a fortune and shoot an immature buff.I don't care for hunting crocodiles or hippos or fishing.I want a good leopard or buff or bull elephant for a good price in truly wild area.If I can't have that I might just stay home.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't want to pay a fortune and shoot an immature buff.I don't care for hunting crocodiles or hippos or fishing.I want a good leopard or buff or bull elephant for a good price in truly wild area.If I can't have that I might just stay home.

The type of hunts you are talking about have a market value and none will really be as affordable as you would like them to be and should you find any at throw away prices then beware.

You need to bear in mind that in most African states, the hunting of Leopard in particular is governed by restricted quotas and that in itself is an automatic price regulator; I very much doubt any outfitter is prepared to offer a freebie on one either unless you go and shoot a PAC in someone's back garden. Big Grin

Where Buffalo is concerned, you have already done a few rounds of the block and should have by now gained enough experience in knowing how to differentiate between a mature/immature, bull or cow and it really boils down to selecting the reputable outfitter who can deliver the goods - and there are quite a few without looking too hard.

Posts: 2046 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
One more trip. Their are still a few animals that I would like to hunt and then I am done, maybe.

Posts: 773 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
There is way too much black on my rifles barrels.
In other words, got to put proper wear on my rifles with far more use on big game in both Africa and Australia!
Non trophy Buffalo and Elephant in Africa and more Buffalo snd Banteng in Australia.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Araon,
You have been too much. It has dulled your passion. You should take me along on the next lion hunt and let me shoot it. Maybe my excitement for taking my first Simba will reignite the fire Smiler

Quite frankly like most I have the same problems with Africa. The cost of shipping animals home, the pain in the A** airlines and overall cost of dangerous game.

Not to mention Ibex, Mooose, Tahr, big mulies, sheep etc. etc.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sitting at the airport now heading to Alaska for bear. My wife and I have lbs of gear due to the weather and camping out.

When I think of Africa, I take a carry on and maybe a gun. All in all, cost is the same for big game in Canada or Alaska. But it is different - different challenge, different people, different hunting.

I decided to work an extra 5 years to afford all of this lunacy. I hopefully will take grandkids to Botswana or Namibia in 10 years too.

Hunting will never be “cheap”.costs go up , prices go up. Fact of life. So, do. What you can afford, have fun and take someone you love.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I am sitting at the airport now heading to Alaska for bear. My wife and I have lbs of gear due to the weather and camping out.

When I think of Africa, I take a carry on and maybe a gun. All in all, cost is the same for big game in Canada or Alaska. But it is different - different challenge, different people, different hunting.

I decided to work an extra 5 years to afford all of this lunacy. I hopefully will take grandkids to Botswana or Namibia in 10 years too.

Hunting will never be “cheap”.costs go up , prices go up. Fact of life. So, do. What you can afford, have fun and take someone you love.

While I agree with you in some respects......the glamour game in Africa ends up being way beyond the glamour game in North America. Plus you do not have the "tack on" trophy fee rates, the daily rates that are more for one day than a lot of entire hunts are in North America.

If you are hunting polar bear or sheep (with an outfitter where sheep have to bear hunted through an outfitter for non-residents) yes, they are expensive. But on the flip side way less hassle. Okay I know polar bear is a problem for you Yanks. Wink But my point is that most North American hunts cheaper when you factor all things in........flights, dip and pack, permits, etc.

When I hunted buff in Zim the first time back in the late 80's, as well as Namibia, dip and pack and permits were included. Second time in Zim for buff years later.....dip and pack was there but I think it was $500. Something I could live with. Now it is ridiculous. Just a bloody scam in my opinion. No way the rates should be what they are.

Why does everyone on here forget that local people are paid peanuts compared to North America. Yes local get a few dollars a day compared to North American guides getting a couple hundred a day, sheep guides more in some cases, plus pay for the use of their trucks if required, ATV if required, and fuel to feed both.

Yet over here hunters think they are getting gouged for a $4k hunt for deer or bear...close to what the daily rate is for one day with some camps in Tanz.

Hunter expectations have changeover the years and in North America it is disproportionately reflected due to wages. In the old days I would head out on a pack trip with two hunters for a couple weeks. Just me to wrangle, guide, cook, skin and salt hides and look after whatever came along. If you wanted help it usually involved riding up to a ridge and calling out on a radio telephone. If you had a heart attack, well...you were probably dead.

Now we all want to kill shit in 7 days, then at the max and back to the grind that all of you seem to love so much. In the uncontrolled/no high fence environment that many work under in North America.....well the guaranteed kill is not something we can always promise.

But still in the end, Canada and Alaska is a real experience that city dudes need to embrace. Real hunting, no guarantees on the kill. The big ting is that hunters need to compare apples to apples..........hell, if I could hire a couple of people for a few dollars a day I could be just like overseas. God knows our vehicle cost and fuel costs...hell all our cost up north are not cheap.

But hunters from the states seem to think we pay the same rates they do and it is far from the case.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to go back to Africa, but am completely turned off by the extras--air charter is a total ripoff, dip and ship, air freight, on and on. At age 69 I am not sure I want to put up with the BS. I have had a blessed life though, having hunted 7 provinces of Canada, 16 U S states, taken 21 different species of N. American game including 2 sheep, mtn goat, brown and grizzly bears to name a few. Wing shot and fished in 7 south American, central American, and Mexico countries.
Hunted 5 African countries on 11 safaris, taking 2 elephants and 6 cape buffalo. So, I can't complain. However, I am not quite ready to hang
it up, so I am going to Brazil in January to fish for Peacock Bass and to Australia on a cull Buffalo hunt next July. I am beginning to look for non-trophy hunts, group hunts for fun, and not planning on bringing anything back.

BTW, I am one of those fat asses they talked about who doesn't exercise. I still get it done.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's always one more Buffalo to wrestle :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
My interest and enthusiasm for hunting Africa has waned considerably. I doubt very seriously I'll return as the cost and associated headache (travel, nickle and dime add-on, dip pack, taxidermy, everyone with their hand out) simply isn't worth the experience to me.

Whacking PG's has zero appeal. Suppose I'm the odd man out as I've never been interested nor could get excited about hunting buffalo. Everything else that would be of interest (to me) is simply too expensive, and I don't see the value.

I'd rather spend the money on travel and cultural experiences.

Hunting in my foreseeable future will likely consist of hunting in my "backyard", and enjoying time afield with family and friends.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote