THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Do you still want to hunt Africa!?!?!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you still want to hunt Africa!?!?!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't mean that in the literal sense, but where are you in your desire to continue hunting the African continent?

Myself....I have mixed emotions on the subject. After 36 DG safaris - all across the continent, my desire has diminished a bit to be honest. I've shot dozens of different species in Africa, the Dangerous 7 many times (over 60 of them to be honest) and most of what I want to hunt has been hunted, with the exception of the Mtn. Nyala. That, or I am just having way too much fun hunting N.A. again. Just last week I took a 364" bull elk with my bow, and a great black bear the following day. I leave for an Arizona elk - Rez hunt on Friday, and several other great hunts this fall too.

Part of my heart will always reside in Africa, but with the exception of another upcoming LDE hunt - Africa is not quite as appealing to me as it was 10 years ago.....why is that????

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a desire scale of 1 - 10...a firm 8.

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I've never hunted africa but my desire to go there isn't based solely on hunting. As a "want to go to" place, on Pondoros scale, it's about a 16.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck yea! I'm ready to go back! 10!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been 25 times. I want to continue. However, it will probably be to new areas.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I will go back. But my desire has waned a bit as well.

I am cherry picking these days.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It comes down to travel, travel, travel, airlines, airlines, airlines, and personal comfort levels flying, immigration etc 4457, TSA,we can go on and on. Yes, I have hunted Africa for 22 years, but changes occur.......

Posts: 185 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I look forward to going to Africa even more now.

In fact, I am definitely more excited to go now than the first time I went.

Not long before our next adventure Big Grin

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hi Aaron,
I'm somewhere in that number as well and feel similarly. Just today, I was watching a Musk of hunt on TV I was telling the wife I'd like to do that one.

Still have a desire to go but it's not a gut burning passion any longer.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
23 Safaris, several Asian hunts, many in N and S. America. Lost a lot of the desire. I now hate travel so much that I have a hard time getting excited.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My desire to hunt Africa cycles up and down over time, but I still get really excited about hunting elephants. I haven't been to Africa in about 18 months, so I'm ready to go back. I've been thinking hard about booking a late season buffalo or elephant hunt.

The headaches of travel have definitely gotten worse over the years. After doing a couple North America trips, it highlighted the relative painfulness of travel to Africa.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, sir. Only 10 trips but still have a couple of animals that I want before I quit.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1119 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I don’t mind the long haul travel as long as it is business or first class. I don’t fool with the firearm hassle. I am simply beginning to look for something different. The only things left in Africa I would like to hunt are simply not worth the exorbitant cost...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I just talked one of my best friend's into going with me to Namibia on his first hunt to Africa, in 2019 and I took my brother on a trip to South Africa in 2013.

I find that their enthusiasm and enjoyment of preparing for and going on the hunt exponentially increases mine.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have yet to go, thus my desire is high.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I just got back...had a great hunt...shot 2 ele and some PG. And...I am sure I will go back. But...Africa has changed. The verticle termites have taken there toll. People everywhere! Very little wilderness anymore. Travel has gotten horrible.

On a 1-10 scale...I used to be a 10...I am a 5 now.

I have not changed...Africa changed...ease of travel changed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I’ll go again, but they better have loaner gun for me and no exorbitant price for it

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
I don't mean that in the literal sense, but where are you in your desire to continue hunting the African continent?

Myself....I have mixed emotions on the subject. After 36 DG safaris - all across the continent, my desire has diminished a bit to be honest. I've shot dozens of different species in Africa, the Dangerous 7 many times (over 60 of them to be honest) and most of what I want to hunt has been hunted, with the exception of the Mtn. Nyala. That, or I am just having way too much fun hunting N.A. again. Just last week I took a 364" bull elk with my bow, and a great black bear the following day. I leave for an Arizona elk - Rez hunt on Friday, and several other great hunts this fall too.

Part of my heart will always reside in Africa, but with the exception of another upcoming LDE hunt - Africa is not quite as appealing to me as it was 10 years ago.....why is that????

I do not have nearly the experience that you do. But I feel the same. I have rediscovered NA hunting and am enjoying it immensely.

I am down to about a 3 on the African interest scale. And the funny thing is that now I can actually honestly afford to do it without begging, borrowing or stealing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wax and wane on this. I have several trips planned but am headed to Asia as well. I am getting a little more excited about Canada and Alaska too.

Honestly, not much in the Lower48 excite me anymore. I am also getting more into fishing. It is less killing and less intense. However, if I have a super guide I would go. I have a great antelope guide, Jim Welles, and enjoy hunting them. I cannot get into bad food and stinky part time guides and bad horses. I would like to hunt eastern Colorado for mule deer if I could locate a good outfit with access to good der in a place not overrun by the public.

I want to hunt Wood Bison. Don't know why, but seems fun.

I weary of owning guns too. Too much hassle.

However, I will keep going to different places in Africa as long as there are "different" places .

I weary of the TV shows that over sell what the advertisers are pushing. Through trial and error, I have gotten rid of a lot of equipment and simplified. I really don't care about make and model of gun or ammo. There is not much difference.

I truly enjoy the local folks these days.
I envy their simplicity and day to day view of the world.

I will go back, and take my kids and grandkids to see what I see and feel what I feel.

I hope I never kill an elephant. I would rather dream about it. I will try to hunt leopards more though.

I would like to hunt a lion with dogs...if there is a way.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I'd rate my desire to hunt Africa for the fifth time as 10-10. The only reason I don't go every year is economics- I'm a 70 year old retiree with an understanding wife who has a well paying career and has been to Africa herself four times- three times for work and once with me in 2012 to Namibia. I'll be back to hunt with Sebra Hunting Safaris in 2019 for another blue bull eland, a waterbuck and hopefully the impala that has eluded me thus far.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The only way I will ever go back is with a group of friends to make the trip more memorable

I will never return alone

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted,
I agree. I am blessed to have a wife and kids that will go.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I asked Walter if he wanted to go on safari.

He had quite a thought about it before he said "yes, I would love to go hunt in Africa just once".

That turned out to be the very biggest lie I have ever heard!

Now wild horses could not keep him from going.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
For me I cherish the chance to get off the beaten track and to explore new horizons.

Maybe Aaron try something a bit different than the bog standard packages that are available?

Fishing is good for the soul.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Heck yes!

2018 early Zim buff booked, RSA Duikers and then Zambia sable.

2019 tbd

New places, new faces and new experiences !

Live it to the full whilst I can and am blessed to have a wonderful wife that shares my passion.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More i hunt outside Africa the more I like Africa.

For me Africa is limited to operators in save conservancy and tholo in botswana. I have little interest in trying something new in Africa and I have little desire to hunt dangerous game. I am also very happy never bringing a trophy back to the us.

I like the packaged Africa hunting vacation. For the $$$ I get a lot and I can control price inflation by limiting what I shoot. I personally think a Cape buffalo at $6500 trophy fee is a waste of money - I will just shoot eland or impala.

I like the professionalism of the operators from hunting to running camp to business dealings to trustworthiness to conservation.

I hope to hunt with my very limited group of operators for a long time.

Alternatives to Africa are fishing, buying more guns, travel, etc but not finding alternative paid hunting around the world.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am seriously thinking of paying one of my buddies to buy a left handed blaser in Zim so I have my gun to hunt with and don't have to travel with a gun.

The travel bitching can be solved easily by paying the $$$ and flying business on emirates. I am too cheap to do that and will bitch about the pain in flying to Africa.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did Emirates business on the last trip and am now totally spoiled. Ethiopian business is very nice also. Lufthansa and Delta are way down the list. Turkish business was very good as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes! I've hunted a lot of Africa and some places 3-4 times. I will continue and focus on new areas.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've only been to Africa 12 times so that makes me a rookie compared to some here but my desire has diminished. The travel is a big part but the ever increasing cost of dangerous game hunts is the most significant contributing factor.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still a 10. used to go once a year, now I go twice.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
In reading the main post again and fully understanding I am talking out of my ass here, it seems your interest in Africa was based solely on what you can hunt. Sounds like you've shot yourself out. I remember seeing one of your videos in which you hunted with Ronnie Blackbeard in Botswana. I was hoping for an extended section of the video where you talked with Ronnie about his family's long history in Botswana - but nothing. I think being in the business and having hunting as the main focus (and having incredible success at it) might have narrowed your view to the point that it has become routine. Whereas a wider historical/cultural/geographical view might provide more stimulation than just hunting. I mean hell, even the "greats" like Ker and Downey and Bill Judd (even though he was killed hunting elephant), saw an end to their hunting and their interest moved beyond (but not entirely). With 36 DG safaris alone, it makes sense that things might be getting stale and you are looking to new horizons.

Like I said, I've never been to Africa, but nothing would light my fire as much as to travel along the tracks of those who laid them - whether I killed anything or not. The Mara, the Tana, Voi, the Aberdares, the Lado, Arusha, the Selous, Naro Moro, Moyowasi, the Zambezi, Laikipia, Kafue, Thika, Maun, Maputo - all of these places have their own histories (yes in the context of hunting, that's how I learned about them), and to see them would be awesome. And also learn something first-hand of the country and the people. Besides flora and fauna, it's the people who make a country anyway - for good or bad. If I could shoot a nice impala (or roan!) for the fire - well, that might be the gilt on the gingerbread, one might say.

Just my .02

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point. There is a lot to Africa beyond hunting. Big place with lots to see and do. Plus with the favorable exchange rate, it is a cheap vacation. Would rather be in Africa than Europe at the moment...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Mara, the Tana, Voi, the Aberdares, the Lado, Arusha, the Selous, Naro Moro, Moyowasi, the Zambezi, Laikipia, Kafue, Thika, Maun, Maputo - all of these places have their own histories (yes in the context of hunting, that's how I learned about them), and to see them would be awesome.

For my own waning...it has been watching the deterioration of these areas. It makes me sad to see them and remember how they once were.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I really enjoyed my 3 times in South Africa, I have shot all the plains game that I have went for (almost). I have lost most of the desire to go again.

Like I said, I really enjoyed. The only way I would go back would be if by Son's were with me.

I am 100% fine hunting here in the states. It is more enjoyable and a different experience (tougher). That is just my opinion.

Like Opus, I think a "vacation" and no hunting, would be fine.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
The Mara, the Tana, Voi, the Aberdares, the Lado, Arusha, the Selous, Naro Moro, Moyowasi, the Zambezi, Laikipia, Kafue, Thika, Maun, Maputo - all of these places have their own histories (yes in the context of hunting, that's how I learned about them), and to see them would be awesome.

For my own waning...it has been watching the deterioration of these areas. It makes me sad to see them and remember how they once were.

Just imagine how the early pioneers would feel? I believe it was Jorge de Limas Alva(?) who said after seeing high rise buildings in Nairobi he never wanted to set foot in Africa again. Sad but inevitable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
The only way I will ever go back is with a group of friends to make the trip more memorable

I will never return alone

Agree with Ted. I have zero desire to kill an elephant, rhino, hippo, or croc. I also have no desire to hunt countries where you have to hire locals to help keep you from being killed so I can brag to my friends where I've been.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I have done paid hunting in North America - I find little value for money and massive uncertainty - weather related.

The only real value for money I have found in North America is Mule Mike and his free range hunts in Texas. He is an excellent outfitter - highly recommended,

Hunting Alaska is not cheap. The flights within the state are often the same price as a flight to Africa and road transfer.

Also African hunting is remarkably consistent - you don't get rained out. You are not burning $1k a day sitting in small tent.

There is no rut that makes exact timing not an issue. I am writing this from Europe where I started hunting the day the rut ended. It makes for a near impossible hunt.

There is plenty to choose from so if your primary animal is not successful you still have a lot of game you can hunt along the way. This depends on area chosen - but good areas have choice.

Good North America western hunting is not cheap and will never be cheap in the future,

Africa mean reverts - all the excess in dangerous game pricing did destroy demand. Prices at least at end of season last minute hunts are coming down.

The whole trophy dip and pack and shipping price escalation has soured people and more are leaving trophies behind,

African hunting is about trophies - skins, tusks, teeth and antlers to bring back. All the talk of hunting for the sake of hunting has little grounding when $$$$ are transferred. The demand for lion and elephant did collapse as did pricing when tangible trophies could not be imported. No one pays by the pound ivory trophy fee when the ivory is not imported.

Trophies don't matter to me - so I have little dealing with dip and pack or shipping.

Everyone I speak to about hunting in the stans talks about massive corruption shifty outfitters etc. last thing I want to do on a vacation is deal with someone trying to shake me down or hustle me. I can have little touristy scams like someone hustling me for $5 at an airport but I cannot have my outfitter hustling me.

I like English speaking guides - I want to be able to communicate with whom I hunt. I have pretty much choosen the people I can to hunt with. I have little desire to meet a new hunting partner or guide.

I want to be able to drink and eat well on a safari - I don't want to pay $1k a day to eat out of a can,

I don't want to hunt a place where I have to carry a sat phone.

If I want to be adventurous and go to remote places I will do it with a fishing rod - Brazil Amazon, papua, Oman etc

For my taste Africa is perfect. July/winter in the lowveld in Zim is ideal. I can skip the place in November.

The best way for me to get motivate to go to Africa is to spend $$$ hunting anywhere else. I comp it to Africa and Africa come out ahead by a mile.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
In reading the main post again and fully understanding I am talking out of my ass here, it seems your interest in Africa was based solely on what you can hunt. Sounds like you've shot yourself out. I remember seeing one of your videos in which you hunted with Ronnie Blackbeard in Botswana. I was hoping for an extended section of the video where you talked with Ronnie about his family's long history in Botswana - but nothing. I think being in the business and having hunting as the main focus (and having incredible success at it) might have narrowed your view to the point that it has become routine. Whereas a wider historical/cultural/geographical view might provide more stimulation than just hunting. I mean hell, even the "greats" like Ker and Downey and Bill Judd (even though he was killed hunting elephant), saw an end to their hunting and their interest moved beyond (but not entirely). With 36 DG safaris alone, it makes sense that things might be getting stale and you are looking to new horizons.

Like I said, I've never been to Africa, but nothing would light my fire as much as to travel along the tracks of those who laid them - whether I killed anything or not. The Mara, the Tana, Voi, the Aberdares, the Lado, Arusha, the Selous, Naro Moro, Moyowasi, the Zambezi, Laikipia, Kafue, Thika, Maun, Maputo - all of these places have their own histories (yes in the context of hunting, that's how I learned about them), and to see them would be awesome. And also learn something first-hand of the country and the people. Besides flora and fauna, it's the people who make a country anyway - for good or bad. If I could shoot a nice impala (or roan!) for the fire - well, that might be the gilt on the gingerbread, one might say.

Just my .02

Ya, that's probably true to an extent - but the fact is that stuff has never really interested me in the first place! I understand some are into the culture and history of the places they go, but not so much for me. I just want to HUNT. I still love to hunt, but as I read others here - and some of their reasons for waning interest, I would say mine falls more along those lines. Such as huge travel hassles, and the fact that some of the remote / wild places I've been are different now. SA for example is a nice place, but for the most part (not all of course) its just a long ride to south Texas high fence hunting - that interests me very little at all. I want to hunt wild / free ranging animals and that is getting fewer / further between, or just different from what it was 10 - 20 years ago, and of course the prices are not getting any cheaper either!?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

One has to live in the real world. If you want to hunt or be around big 5 - you will have to go to a large scientifically managed conservancy. There will be a outside double fence, you will have grind roads, a scientifically determined quota, guys with assualt rifles doing anti poaching.

All the talk of remote areas and fly in camps have few elephants and no rhinos.

The reality of Africa is same as the reality of us - there are no massive herds of Buffalo roaming any planes.

One has to deal with and manage the reality of humans. Just like one has to deal with and manage the reality that everyone of them will have a cell phone.

Mike