THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    At dawn tomorrow, my son leaves on the Ultimate Dangerous Game Hunt!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At dawn tomorrow, my son leaves on the Ultimate Dangerous Game Hunt!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
He's leaving in the morning for Afghanistan. I'm posting this here because this is where most of the folks I know on AR hang out.

My son (I won't give his name on an international forum) is a First Lieutenant infantry officer with the 25th Infantry Division in the U.S. Army. This will be his first combat deployment, but I can tell you all that he is as well trained as any soldier, in any army, in the world. He earned his Ranger tab last year, and has been training for this mission, along with the men he commands, for a year.

His company is relieving elements of the 101st Airborne Division in Eastern Afghanistan near the Pakistan border, on the edge of the Korengal Valley. From what he tells me, the unit they are replacing lost several guys last spring, but have not lost a soldier since. This info is of some comfort to his mom and young wife, but we all know there are no guarantees in war.

He's a platoon leader, but in addition to his own men, he will have an entire company of Afghan soldiers at his disposal to do most of the heavy lifting. He says more and more, they are trying to let the Afghans fight their own battles (makes sense to me).

As you can imagine, the next year is going to be a tough one on all of us "left behinds." God knows, if they would let me go with him, or in his place, I would be gone in an instant. But, alas, war is a young man's game.

I know that there are others of you who have been where we are now, and I would love to hear from you on how you got through it. Don't bother to suggest a lot a prayer, 'cause we got that one covered!

Thanks.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank your son, for his service, and Godspeed on his assignment...Our family went through this, 3 yrs ago, when our only son was stationed in the middle of Bagdad...Keep positive, your son is well trained, like mine, however one bit of advise I tried to convey to him, even though I knew he was well aware, was to stay alert, and aware of you surroundings at ALL TIMES! My son made it through,as yours will, and made me a very proud father. God bless you, and your family, Butch

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch. I'm going to talk to him in a couple of hours and I'll add that to the "keep your head down, and your ass up" speech I'm going to give him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear unknown friend.
I cannot give you the advice you are seeking. However I'd like you to know that I feel and understand your anxiety. Denmark, the country I come from, is also heavily involved in Afghanistan. I do hope, and believe, your son will be fine. From the bottom of my heart, kind regards.

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you mej. And thanks to all your countrymen, along with all the other NATO soldiers, who are standing with us in Afghanistan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your son is responsible for a number of young men; this task can be very heavy at times. One thing I would suggest is to help him as much as possible supply things that may be hard to get there. This can be especially important around Christmas time (dare I use that word instead of winter holiday?? I dare, I dare). Another suggestion is to send gift packages for Christmas because there are always people that do not receive anything from home. A good source of information on what the soldiers need for us was "military.com".

Posts: 231 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
God Bless him!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The entire free world is behind your and his efforts. The good thing to remember is that the country is behind him and he will not return to the cries of "baby killer" as some of us vietnam vets did. I know he is in the army but I must say anyway "SEMPER FI"
Be proud and confident and keep us posted.
God Bless!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big thanks to you for raising an honorable son. And most of all, a big thanks to your son for serving our great nation and other countries of the world!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I talked to him about an hour ago. I was the last time we get to talk before depature.

He did tell me that he expects to be a platoon leader no more than about two more months, before being booted to company XO or battalion staff officer. Seems there is some stupid rule about not letting anyone serve as platoon leader more than one year, and his one year with the current platoon is soon up.

He also said it will take about four days to reach his ultimate in-country duty post from the time he departs Hickam Field in the morning.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Godspeed to your son and to you and your family GAHunter. The price of freedom is a value the protected shall never know. You should be very proud. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
God bless you and your son.

... and another Semper Fi to one of America's best!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Thank your son from me and mine for serving our country! -Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I deeply appreciate what your son is doing for our country. God Speed

Hartley

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you know he will be in all of our thoughts and prayers you must have an enormous amount of pride in what he is doing tu2

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish him and his troops the best. And, I appreciate their service.

Ski+3

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Wish him luck and tell him thanks for me.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thank him for his service and pray for his safe return.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My prayers are with your son, and your family. Your son has been given a huge responsibility and it is young men like him that continue to allow me to live free and stand proud for their service to all. My nephew did two tours in Irag,, Marine Air Corp pilot,, he flew a for a year on each deployment. Being a control freak I worried about him everyday and not being there everything is out of my control or influence.I was thinking one day that I am not sure exactly when he grew up,, one day he was a blond headed carefree kid the next thing I see him siting in the cockpit,, full flight suit and helment with a thumbs up. It gives me huge goosebumps everytime I look at the picture, still not sure he can borrow my old truck even if he does fly a 100 million dollar plane! God Bless all those serving our nation!

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER,

Tell him to take care of his soldiers. And tell him we all appreciate his service.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely want to say a great big Thank You for services rendered. Because of your son and others like him we are all able to enjoy living free in the greatest country on earth.

Best wishes for a injury free tour and return home.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GAHunter, first of all, God Bless your Son and all of our soldiers everywhere, they do an absolutely vital job. As far as how to cope, you will do what ever you can. My son spent 18 months in Iraq, and I know exactly how you feel right now, but our soldiers are the best trained military in world, and they do a spectacular job, your son will be fine, just have faith, but you know that.

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! He called us at 9:00 p.m., est, and his plane was still sitting on the tarmac at Hickam.

I guess moving 4000 soldiers to a deployment is a little more complicated than simply getting on a plane and taking off.

One advantage of flying Army Air is they got to take their M-4s on as carry-on baggage. Personally, I think that's a great idea that all airlines should adopt as standard policy. Think about it, no more arriving at your bush camp without your gun 'cause the airline lost it!

Tell you what, since I live in Atlanta, I'll call Delta and suggest it. Y'all do the same with the other carriers.

We just might be onto something here!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just heard from him for the first time since depature. He's in Jalalabad, Afghanistan, waiting on tranportation to COP Monti, which is their duty station.

I had never heard of COP Monti, until I found this article on the guys they are replacing. Did not make me happy, to say the least. thumbdown

http://www.stripes.com/news/ch...s-cop-monti-1.126510

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and God bless! Thanks for his service.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a safe return.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER,
salute to your son and yourself for raising a fine boy!

He and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

patriot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37783 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My prayers are added to all the others;
for your son, the other brave military
folk, and all the families. It is serious
business going on in these places...

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I will pray for him.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please thank him for keeping my family safe with his service to our Country. I hope he has GREAT hunt! Bless him and keep him and his family safe. Members of my family have been in the service as far back as the Civil War so far as we can find. Like alot of families, they fought on both sides. My father was WWII, 2 uncles in the Navy(one on the Battleship Texas),another in the 82nd Airborne,one uncle in the MARINES, brother former MARINE. Both Grandpa's in WWI and to many others to recall here. I just hope he has great hunt and has a little time off from his job. I tell my 15 yr old how much he should be greatful for people like your son that he is safe from salute the terror of this world!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER I apologize, I missread your post. GODspeed and GOD bless him in his mission.

P.S just had a fellow worker come back from * months in Af. SHE is w/ the Air Force and saw abit of crap over there. but she is back safe and has served 2 tours on Iraq and 1 in Afgh. One tough souldier. Talks like there's nothing to it.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
God bless him and keep him safe. Thank him for his service to our country.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
God bless your son and your family. My thoughts are with him. My son is also deployed (I can't say where) with the 3rd Ranger Battalion right now. Your son should be proud of earning his Ranger Tab, as you know it isn't easy. May he and his platoon return home safe and sound.

God Bless

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4771 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Our prayers and thoughts are with your son and your family.

We hope and pray that God will watch over your son and return him home safely.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
GA prayers to your whole family. To many forget the cost of freedom. My son in law is completing his third tour.

The Best,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
patriot
God Bless your son and all of his fellow soldiers.

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wyoske:
patriot
God Bless your son and all of his fellow soldiers.

AMEN

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son went over in February. Hang in there!

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God bless and watch over your son and all our fine Soldiers.

Freedom ain't free.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ditto to everything that has been said by everyone previously! tu2