THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Your choice for one and only safari?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your choice for one and only safari?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
All,

I was watching Boddington's African Experience today and he said that if he could only go on one safari ever it would be a 21 day safari in Tanzania. Now this is hypothetical because no one goes on just one safari, but if you could only go on one modern safari: What country? What area/areas? What outfit? What animals?

Let's hear it ladies and gentlemen. What's your choice?

I don't have much Africa experience yet, but as of now my pick in a 21 day in Tanzania!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go on three safaris to Zim or Namibia for the same money, and shoot 3x as many animals.

Safari 1: Namibia plains game and leopard, and sand grouse!
Safari 2: Zim sable and buffalo, leopard if you didn't get one in Namibia.
Safari 3: Zim Elephant and whatever PG you haven't shot yet.

Left lion off the list...chances are you won't get one in TZ anyway.

OK if you had to choose one country one safari I would vote for Zim, booked now for next year while the prices are still good. Spend 10 days at Lemco/Bubiana to get your PG and leopard at lower daily rates, and then 10 days in the Valley for DG.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I agree with Boddington, but it would be a full month and would be 2 weeks in Masailand and 2 weeks in Selous, on the 21 day license of course. Big 4 and a huge host of PG, Croc, Hippo, etc.

Yep, that is the one for me!

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Would staying in Africa but going from one country to another, and then another, then another be cheating?

If so, then 1 month in Tanzania would be my choice.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Actually, after thinking about Calebs answer, I wish to modify mine!

A 20 year safari through all the huntable countries in the world with long periods of rest in between hunts in Texas.

There. What the heck. It is my fantasy isn't it?

Wait a miunute ... that is what I am currently doing. Wow, my life is a fantasy!

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since its gonna be a thread of some dreamhunt that will be "untouchable" or out of reach, but yet could dream of...My "only safari" would be hunting jungle-elephants in India with my 10 bore double....but since that is impossible, hunting for a "full bag" in Ethiopia spending the traditionally 90 days. thumb

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Botswanna,Jeff Rann,24 days,Okavango Delta,3 trophy bull eles with the smallest being 55lbs/side,with a trophy lion mixed in.
wesley

Posts: 676 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
This is really out of my price range, but if I could afford it. A 40 day trip to hunt buffalo, lion, leopard, zebra, hippo and giraffe. Also, a trophy elephant.

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also opt for Tanzania if it were my first Safari, but haveing hunted many times in Tanzania, I think today I would opt for Botswana and hunt for a big Elephant...in which case I would go with my good friend Johan Calitz and only for the holy grail of elephants, the 100 pounder..If I failed then I still would come home with a lot of wonderful memories or a great hunt, and a buffalo or two along with some plainsgame I suspect.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
21 days in the Matetsi of Zimbabwe with lioness on the ticket. Since I have alread done this at least 3 times I would still like to get a Lioness. The first trip I missed on lion and the next 2 it was closed to lion. I cannot visualize any better place in Africa than Zimbabwe although there are probably some. I am quite satisfied with Zimbabwe.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

My dream safari would be the one that lets me finish up on the main queries I have not yet taken in Africa. They are the bongo and mountain nyala. With prices going higher and bookings further out particularly for the nyala either of these may not happen. A safari to take both is probably only a fantasy but the idea that at least I MIGHT get one or the other makes the idea just that more delicious.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tanzania w/o question for me. I'd do 28 days for a lifetime of memories. Book the hunt with Raoul Ramoni and plan to spend as much time as necessary in his Mwambesi area for big elephant. Then spend the remainder in one of his areas around Tarangire Park or Rungwa for the buffalo, plains game and cats.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
21+ days with my own PH, John Venter. We already offer Elephant, Lion, Leopard, 2 Buffalo, Hippo, Crocodile and PG for a mere $52K plus trophy fees. I'd try to hunt all 11 blocks we offer. If we're dreaming, I'll dream big!
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A Safari to Natron, Maswa and Rungwa would suit me.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
If I could take only one safari and it was limited to 21 days,it would be in Tanzania. It would be a big four safari, but the primary focus would be on elephant and lion. Plains game of note would be gerenuck, lessor kudu, Grant's gazzele, E. African impala, sable and roan.

While there are several great operators, I'd be very happy with Miombo Safaris, Luke Samaras Safaris or Safari Trackers.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Tanzania. Twenty one days.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
My choice would have to be a 21 day licence extended to 28 days in one of the best areas in the North or the West of Tanzania for the 'full bag'.

At current prices, daily rates and charters would be in the region of US$100K plus trophy fees, but it has to be one of the best possible African hunting safari experiences available. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see so many of you taking your dream hunt in Tanzania. I have a 21 day hunt booked in the Selous for 2009. I actually think my ultimate dream hunt might be Mountain Nyala.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would have to say yes to Tanzania . Chasing Buff in the best area's with no time limit. If ya gotta dream ,dream BIG!

Posts: 60 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: 09 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
My dream African hunt would be a 30-day safari with just me and a PH on a bakkie starting in the Kaokoveld in northwestern Namibia and working our way toward the Caprivi. I would hunt leopard, lion, elephant, cape buffalo, crocodile, hippo, and plains game. We would take only 7 days supply of food and would have to hunt smaller antelope for subsistence. It would be camping in a tent and the PH would have to be skilled in wilderness living.

The trophies and meat would have to be hauled back by skinners called in by radio - can't leave anyting to waste.

My dream Australian hunt would be on the same line, with buffalo, sambar, banteng, and crocodile being my main quarries.

Now if I only had the money to do all that I would be on the plane tomorrow.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
My dream safari would be in Zimbabwe with Roger Whittall Safaris. My PH would have to be either Peter Wood or Thierry Labat. 30 days but split into two different areas. Staring in Nyakasanga for an Ele Bull, Buffalo, Hippo and a croc. Then down to Humani for Leopard and some Plainsgame.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 694 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Tanzania by far for a 21 day safari...

Tanzania 09 21 days... clap

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Buy the kruger park lock the gates invite my mates for a 2 year hunt what ever we want and if i wake up after this dream and seeing my bank balance i will have to hunt at our local taxidermist with a paint ball gun.

Sorry David your lion got a blue paint mark on before it left couldnt get it out i thought it was stalking me LOL

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote