Notify
Tools

Best VALUE in 375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Brno all the way, or if you wish as CZ550.

And in H&H cause true happiness is trying to locate ammo for your new 375 Ruger anywhere in Africa.

I was weaned on a Brno, yep the one with the stupid back to front safety..... dont know why they even put it on cause I never use it, the bolt is so sticky if you push it forward on a shell, but dont close it that's my "safe" position, all i do when I want to shoot is push the bolt handle down and I'm good to go. Have been doing it now for 40 years, never let me down yet!

Alf,
you are absolutely spot on with your comments, couldn't aggree more,
Mal.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bang/buck I vote Sako L61R...

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for pre 64 win. and if thats too costly I would get me a Whitworth Express Mauser for about $800 give or take a hundred dollar bill...

I have owned a few CZs and to me they are too bulky and thick and I like trim slim rifles..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-64 custom in .375 and I do like its slim and trim shape.

But I also have my share of CZ 550 Magnum customs, including one in .458 Lott, and I do like that big bad six shooter, let me tell you.

To each his own (or both or all Big Grin).

What I would add, though, is that I have never yet seen a factory rifle that I didn't want to modify in some fashion or other.

So for me, they are all starting points only.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13617 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
FWIW, there are not that many off-the-shelf choices. If you just want a using 375, the CZ is probably the cheapest way to go. And like Zimababwe said, it holds 5 down, which ain't a bad thing. All the CZ's I've had were very, very accurate too.

But, IMO, they are ALL too heavy, but you can get a CZ re-barreled to a lighter contour with new sights and bolt handle for not much mopney, and have a handy rifle while retaining all the good features.

Here is a 375 I changed over to 416 Rem. Holds 5 down and is a lot handier. Lightweight and so much more than a 375.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were getting a CZ I would consider the 9.3x62. Much lighter and handier and not much difference in effect.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The CZ 9.3x62 isn't as light as it could be. Mine weighs 7.92 lbs. with the open sights I added.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is still lighter. The stock fits me better too. Not a lot of new 375s or 9.3s I like.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pre 64 model 70. I would suggest that this is the best 375 H&H. Unfortunately it is not the cheapest unless you get it from a family member, like I got mine. A friend, however, bought a CZ in 375 H&H from your, and my, hometown Gander Mountain. He got it for less than $900. We will both be taking them to Botswana this May for Buffalo an at. ( non southwestern Pennsylvanians, please excuse the Pittsburghese). While I like my Model 70, his CZ should be just fine when it is time to shoot.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
The CZ is always a good buy, as is the Ruger, but the weight is better suited to a .416 or .458 Lott. Another choice I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is a used or almost new Whitworth. They have a 98 Mauser FN style action, good sights and are the right weight for a .375. I have a pair of them, they always shoot good too.

Don't tell people about the Whitworth. It is hard enough finding a really good one.
wave

Another to start buying whenever you can is the
..... never mind.

Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
I have a pre 64 model 70. I would suggest that this is the best 375 H&H. Unfortunately it is not the cheapest unless you get it from a family member, like I got mine. A friend, however, bought a CZ in 375 H&H from your, and my, hometown Gander Mountain. He got it for less than $900. We will both be taking them to Botswana this May for Buffalo an at. ( non southwestern Pennsylvanians, please excuse the Pittsburghese). While I like my Model 70, his CZ should be just fine when it is time to shoot.

Thanks. I'll run over there this weekend. BTW - Have you ever seen anything worthwhile in 375 at the Gun Show behind the mall. There is one this weekend.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Interarms Whitworth Express, M70, Brno 602

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having handeled and currntly owning rifles worked over by the Biesen's, for the $ this is the best value I know of right now:

375 biesen rifle on GB

yes it is opening at 4k, but you should be able to get that or more out of it if you can ever let it go and you sould spend more than that for another one now (not to mention the 1-2 year wait).

That being said any model 70 pre 64 or classic would be a good choice if you are looking to be under,say $1200. keep your eyes open and you would be suprised what you will find on the used market.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At risk of copping a flaming stir I would think that something like this Best value 375 would have to come very close to fulfilling the criteria. While no-one praises Savage for the aesthetic qualities that so many of us desire, I've seldom heard Savage maligned as to their accuracy or reliability. Could it be that beauty is as beauty does? It may not be my first choice for a rifle to take to Alaska or Africa but I wouldn't be too proud to take it to either, I might even be able to afford the trip the same year as buying the rifle. Big Grin
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dla
I haven"t been to the gun show in a couple of years. Each time I go I end up buying something. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 375 laying aroung there.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dla69,

I have not been to Greensburg show last several years but in years prior Bill Hice was often there. He will have a sign and several Winchesters on his table. If he is there he is likely to have or know the whereabouts of a Pre - 64 70. Most of his stuff is real clean original condition.

If I was looking for a 375 I would search for a pre - 64 from the early to mid 1950s.

HBH

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I must say I am really pleased with my Winchester M70 Classic Stainless that I've had for about 5 years. This rifle is fairly light for a .375, very accurate (300 grain Barnes Triple Shock in .5" at 100 yards, 3 shots)points and handles great, has back up iron sights, has the claw extractor and controlled feeding that everyone wants in a big game rifle and has a great 3 position safety that most people want anyway.
I can highly recommend this rifle!
Second choice would be a Ruger but these are heavy then on down the line to CZ's, Mausers, etc etc all of which you will want to modify to some degree to be more like a M70 anyways.
Why not just start with a M70?

Snell,

I have one of those M70's in Stainless. I have not broken it in yet its brand new. I would like to know the load you use for your 300 Grain Barnes Triple Shock.

Thanks Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you ask the PH's in Zim if you are better off with a new Ruger 375 or the normal 375H&H like I did in Reno you will find that the outstaning majority like the 375 H&H. Just like they don't realy like the new 300WSM. Maybe its just them but they live there and hunt there daily and I trust thier judgment. The CZ is no doubt the best bargain and I have shot it with subMOA with no problem. The big difference is being comfortable with the gun and practice, practice, practice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank Martinez will kill me for this, but the whitworth is the best buy for the money; trim, 8lbs without scope, controlled round feed, slick action. Plus you dont have to do anythiong, just add a recoil pad and go hunting for about 800 or 900 bucks!
the CZ is overbuilt and clunky IMO, for the caliber. action needs smoothing etc.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
dla
I haven"t been to the gun show in a couple of years. Each time I go I end up buying something. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 375 laying aroung there.

There were 2 375's (although I counted 5 458's Confused). Neither of them were what I was looking for.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
patience!! i just got this 375 JRS (will use 375 H&H shells, but i9s blown out to give an extra 200m fps) off gunbroker. Tooki 3 months of looking, though.
http://ww.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93257486

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote