Notify
Tools

Best VALUE in 375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted
This place is bad for me.

I haven't been to Africa yet, but I'm thinking about buying a 375. (I already have a 338 WM and a 358 Win, so I'm more than set for a PG hunt.)

I've been watching most of the threads here talking about various guns including the Don Heath article.

That leaves me with the question, what is the best value out there for a 375. I realize there is no right answer to this question, I'd just like to get people's input.

Thanks.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would wait for one of the new M70s.

Cheers,
Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ 550

OR

A .375 Ruger African.

I Really like the Ruger it is a well thought out rifle.

The CZ is a functional and tough rifle but it is a bit crude and the safety must be dealt with before hunting DG with it.

The Ruger is ready to go. But it isn't an H&H if that means anything to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adrook:
I would wait for one of the new M70s.

Cheers,
Andy

They aren't producing them in .375.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I must say I am really pleased with my Winchester M70 Classic Stainless that I've had for about 5 years. This rifle is fairly light for a .375, very accurate (300 grain Barnes Triple Shock in .5" at 100 yards, 3 shots)points and handles great, has back up iron sights, has the claw extractor and controlled feeding that everyone wants in a big game rifle and has a great 3 position safety that most people want anyway.
I can highly recommend this rifle!
Second choice would be a Ruger but these are heavy then on down the line to CZ's, Mausers, etc etc all of which you will want to modify to some degree to be more like a M70 anyways.
Why not just start with a M70?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same M-70 as Snell,

I didn't mention it because they are getting pretty hard to find.

But if you can find one it would be my first choice as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Ruger African, 375 Ruger caliber, is a fine rifle and caliber for the bucks. Top of the line would be the Ruger RSM, classic rifle in all respects, a bit on the heavy side, but lots of quality for the dollar. Same features, quality in custom would run minimum 2-3 times the purchase price for RSM, but if I had it to do all over again, would go with the new Ruger African. Half the money, but still gets the job done. Good luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I currently have 3 375's. One custon Mdl 70 SS,one Brno 602ZKK basically stock (barrel shortened to 21" new front sight Barrel band front swivel)and one full custom on a Westley Richards single square bridge Mauser action. I have used the Brno and the Mdl 70 extensively in Africa and prefer the Brno hands down over both the other rifles. I believe the CZ 550 to be the most cost effective buy on the market today for a bigbore rifle. That of course is only my opinion and is worth whatever you think.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think a Winchester Model 70 Safari Classic or Super Express (I own the latter in .375 H&H) are the best value. Buy a used one in good shape. If you decide to buy a CZ (I have one in 416 Rigby) I would suggest buying one that has been reworked by a good riflesmith and I have seen some CZ rifles by American Hunting Rifles (AHR) which look very nice.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
If you can find one, a used Winchester Model 70 is the way to go. If you can't...

I did a lot of research and checked out a lot of 375 H&H's before buying mine. Among current production rifles, I think the CZ 550 is the best value.

And don't underestimate the importance of weight. The CZ is a 9 lb rifle before mounting a scope. I tried the new Remington 798 and it is too light in my opinion. The weight of the CZ really soaks up recoil and gets you back on target fast.

I am still working up loads for my CZ and only have about 100 rounds through it, so I will defer to others on the Board with more experience to advise on the need for riflesmithing, but so far I am very pleased with the rifle and price I paid.

I will also say that CZ customer service in Kansas City is among the best I've dealt with in the industry. After putting a box or two of ammo through the rifle, I realized I was having trouble seeing the front sight. I called CZ explained my eyesight just wasn't up to focusing on the small bead provided. They sent a 3/32" bead free of charge!

This is my third CZ rifle and probably not my last.

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My advice is to search for a little used BRNO ZKK 602. Might be hard to find but they are available, you won't be sorry.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a friend who is selling a couple of m70 375's. PM me if you want more info. The guns are in Alaska. Nothing special...just basic guns.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the CZ with some modifications is the best bet. You can get the rifle for somewhere around $1000 brand new, then send it to American Hunting Rifles and for somewhere between $1200-$2500 have it made very functional and very attractive. See their webpage for CZ upgrades: http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm

I sent a .375 H&H and a .458 Lott in. They did a wonderfull job, were very prompt, and exceedingly pleasant to deal with. One of these days I'll learn how to post photos. But even with a very nice piece of wood, cutting the barrel down, gun-koting it, changing the safety and trigger, and replacing front and rear sights, and workin the action a bit they still are within a couple hundred bucks of Kimbers new Caprivi.

By the way, where are the directions for posting pictures? Thanks, Rich.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are trying to keep the costs reasonable, buy the Ruger that Dave Bush is currently selling in the classifieds or by a CZ and don't much to it. The CZ is pretty good as is and only gets better with use.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Surestrike.
I bought one several years back. It's been to Africa 4 times and I'm not sure how many days I've carried it in Alaska. This rifle has never once disappointed me.
For the cost of a CZ reworked you might look at a semi-custom rifle like Brown Precision (would be a bit more).

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I currently have 3 375's. One custon Mdl 70 SS,one Brno 602ZKK basically stock (barrel shortened to 21" new front sight Barrel band front swivel)and one full custom on a Westley Richards single square bridge Mauser action. I have used the Brno and the Mdl 70 extensively in Africa and prefer the Brno hands down over both the other rifles. I believe the CZ 550 to be the most cost effective buy on the market today for a bigbore rifle. That of course is only my opinion and is worth whatever you think.

Zimbabwe,

What is it about your Brno that is perferable to you?

I've never played with a Brno but I always hear good things about them. I am curious as to what exactly makes them so nice in the field? I might have to find one.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Look at the Kimber Caprivi in .375 H&H. One nice gun. Boddington has used it in Africa and was very impressed with it. I have personally seen a Caprivi in the .458 Lott and really liked it. That would be my choice, absent the ability to purchase a Model 70.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have several reason for preferring the Brno/CZ one being the magazine capacity . Don't really NEED it but it is nice to have it. My Brno has the old stock which happens to be very very comfortable to me. My Mdl 70 has a Dave Miller laminate which also fits me perfectly but I actually prefer the Brno. I'm probably the only person on the forum who actually LIKES the rear sight . Had no objection to the front either but when I cut the barrel to 21" I had to have elevation adjustment so I installed an ERA ramp and bead that has elevation adjustment in it. I like the square bridges with dovetails on which I installed Warne rings. Accuracy is well within an inch with the loads I use. Finish was ok as I am not overly picky about finish. Mine is a used rifle and was Jon Speeds last rifle he used in Africa as he told me. I would say it is smooth from use as it doesn't seem to have had anything done to it. Jon Speed had removed the front swivel and plugged the hole and checkered thru it as it was in the checkering. Hardly visible and I put a barrel band swivel when I cut the barrel. I liked it so much that when i wanted a 416Rigby I bought one of the first ones in town. It also has the barrel cut to 21" and the same sight/swivel setup as the Brno.It has a Brockman laminate which I like but not nearly as much as the original Brno stock. The Brno has the regular trigger which is very smooth. I like it better than the CZ set trigger but don't really have any complaints with the CZ. Have taken many animals with the Brno including a Leopard and many Kudu. Have taken an Elephant and several Kudu with the CZ. Both have Decellerator pads and are quite comfortable to shoot. The safetys are different on each one but I have NO problem with that at all. They are both quite positive in their operation. I'm probably different from everyone on this forum and know I will get much comment but when I approach a dangerous situation fully knowing the danger is present I put the safety off well ahead of shouldering the rifle. All in all it just comes down to the fact that it is just my opinion and has no real PROOF other than that, as most do most personal opinions.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I've got CZ Safari Classic in 375 H&H and had the custom shop do a little work on it, but it's not rough at all ...

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=532100028#532100028

Functions flawlessly and shoots nice too ...

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Look at the Kimber Caprivi in .375 H&H. One nice gun. Boddington has used it in Africa and was very impressed with it. I have personally seen a Caprivi in the .458 Lott and really liked it. That would be my choice, absent the ability to purchase a Model 70.

The new Kimber is $3k. A bit out of my present price range.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre-64 Mod 70's in 375 H&H are available on the used gun market and well worth the $$ they ask.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ] [/URL]
[URL= ] [/URL]
[URL= ] [/URL]

Lets see if these pictures work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok sorry, I couldn't resize the images without an error. But this is the .375 H&H I had customized by American Hunting Rifles. Rich.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rholden: Very nice rife! Congratulations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what the problem some people have with the current CZ safety. Mine is well shaped and located. Its operation is very positive; my only complaint is that it isn't silent when operated normally.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
my cz 550 is standard and there is nothing to complain about it shoots sub moa with the 24" barrel. it doesnt need any stock adjustments i can shoot it open sights or with the scope and its quickly in line. i only have one rifle that is not a bruno/cz and i regret it

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a Sako in Classifieds that's worth a look.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10395 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
rholden: Very nice rife! Congratulations.

+1. That's a beauty.

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the information.

One more question. What is the market price for some of the guns that people have been recommending? The M70, a new/used CZ, or the BRNO?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the safety on my CZ 416 is good. I don't see the problem others have with it. I believe all of the American Safari models come dual cross bolted now. Mine did. The pad looks and feels like a decelerator. I changed the front sight to a fiber optics which I ordered from CZ for $14. After a few cycles the action gets nice and smooth. Accurate too. It doesn't get much better. You can spend a lot of money on a custom and all you will get is a better looking rifle. IMHO. The CZ is a great and economical way to introduce yourself to a big bore. The biggest negative is their weight, but depending on how recoil sensitive you are that might be a blessing. BEST VALUE WAS THE QUESTION.

I bought my CZ online from Ozarkguns for under $900.00.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rholden,

Your custom CZ is beautiful. I wasn't knocking it in the post above. I have owned several custom rifles including a beautiful Al Biesen .458 which I still reget selling. I rarely leave a rifle as standard and most go to the gunsmth immediately for all the things I like done. That said, I just think the CZ straight out of the box is a good place to start.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Hi Butch agree, they can use a little bit of work out of the box, but they are a sound well built Magnum length CRF Mauser variant rifle, with the standard walnut stocks being far nicer than standard offerings from Rem and Win. It's amazing they can sell them for under $1000.00. Rholden, I'm sending my CZ to AHR for the CZ #1 upgrade also, more for aesthetics then for any real reason (it will look more like that Empire Mauser on the cover of "Dangerous Game Rifles")

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ is always a good buy, as is the Ruger, but the weight is better suited to a .416 or .458 Lott. Another choice I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is a used or almost new Whitworth. They have a 98 Mauser FN style action, good sights and are the right weight for a .375. I have a pair of them, they always shoot good too.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point jstevens, that is why I just bought one from new_guy, but in .458. It will be here next week. There have been several in .375 floating around on Gunsamerica and others for $1,000 to $1,150.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla69:
Thanks for all of the information.

One more question. What is the market price for some of the guns that people have been recommending? The M70, a new/used CZ, or the BRNO?

Used Mod 70's generally run from $900 to $1200.
You can find NIB Mod 70's in the $1500-2200 range.

Just remember "The Best Value" usually doesn't mean the cheapest price.

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:
Just remember "The Best Value" usually doesn't mean
the cheapest price.

Yep. That's why I used a capitalized VALUE in the thread title.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Remington 700 Classic, if you do not mind push feed, they are inexpensive and readily available.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
What about the Sako's?

Do they have the features people looks for in a DG rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Among current production rifles, I think the CZ 550 is the best value.

+1

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas