Never seen one like this before

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Can't say that one does much for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, but not my cup of tea. It looks like a raw cape with the head not yet skinned out.

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow! I like it.

~Ann

Posts: 19166 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How very European. Enough said.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Wow! I like it.

I like it too.

It would be perfect in the right place, but probably wouldn't look too good along side a lot of traditional mounts.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SUPERB!!!

I like things that are a bit unique...

Anymore photos/angle of that piece?

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its definitely 'artsy' but I rather like it. The key to this is where you put it and what pieces you surround it with to make it flow in your trophy room.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too feminine looking. Looks like a chic wrapping herself up in a fur coat.
It's a LDE BULL! He's suppose to look majestic!
OK ladies, take your best shots, been married 34 yrs., I can take it.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Too feminine looking. Looks like a chic wrapping herself up in a fur coat.
It's a LDE BULL! He's suppose to look majestic!
OK ladies, take your best shots, been married 34 yrs., I can take it.

Bwana Cecil; You already know better! diggin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the 1st 1 I've dug.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to my taste, but even if it were it does not do an animal like the LDE justice.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd need to see it from a few different angles to be sure, but I think it is beautiful...not traditional, and certainly not appropriate for a trophy room, but as a single piece in the correct location it could be magnificent.

I'm starting to envision other species given a similar treatment. I can see a Gemsbok or Zebra done that way very effectively.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I would have to say that while it is unique and interesting and I don't hate this, I just like a traditional mount so much better. The board it is mounted on just looks like a board. I think a shape of Africa of just a more organic shape in general would be more pleasing.

A full skin rug with a mounted head hanging on the wall would be better too in my opinion and would show of the size of the animal.

To me, the best memory of a hunt is right before the shot, when the animal is alive in all its glory. This reminds me of a caped out head before it goes into the salt. Interesting and a neat part of a hunt...but nothing like the moment before the shot.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grafton:
I would have to say that while it is unique and interesting and I don't hate this, I just like a traditional mount so much better. The board it is mounted on just looks like a board. I think a shape of Africa of just a more organic shape in general would be more pleasing.

A full skin rug with a mounted head hanging on the wall would be better too in my opinion and would show of the size of the animal.

To me, the best memory of a hunt is right before the shot, when the animal is alive in all its glory. This reminds me of a caped out head before it goes into the salt. Interesting and a neat part of a hunt...but nothing like the moment before the shot.

+1 reminds me of a picture taken in the skinning shed.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13153 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A full shoulder mount on a big Eland takes a great deal of room to mount on the wall,,, this type of mount might be the only option for someone with a limited space to display,,my first thought,, good idea on a one horned trophy,,,,,,then ,,, although not for me,, not a bad option

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Not what I'd want in my trophy room, but in the right office, it would be very classy.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not done to my taste........

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted Hide Post
Not my cup of Tea.

Posts: 97 | Location: columbus, ohio | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
That could be the most horrific waste of one of the most beautiful animals in Africa I've ever seen.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
That could be the most horrific waste of one of the most beautiful animals in Africa I've ever seen.

tu2

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
X2 tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of Picaso's paintings!

Absolutely HORRIBLE as far as I am concerned, but, others seem to like them.

Anything which does not display the animal to its best, is not to my taste.

But, I suppose who is to say what is best?

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ha?

Funny how the ladies on this forum like this mount - just goes to show why I am not a woman I suppose sofa

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66975 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
I reckon it is a unicorn caught up in one of those old fashioned washing wringers. It was such a fight that even a plastic palm tree and the ironing board got wrapped up too. Roll Eyes Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks a bit like road kill...

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I do not like that mount. Imagine taking one of the premiere african animals, including any of the big five, and then mounting it like that. LDE is a hunt that very few of us will ever get to experience, let alone do more than once, so why degrade the mount like this, compared to how a proper shoulder mount would display such a majestic animal.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's just spooky.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
In a word...NO

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Not for this African Hunter either. Spending that kind of money on that kind of hunt would have resulted in a different mount for my house!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:

Jerry Huffaker...master of the obvious.

Totally agree. Yuck.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just compared it to my Derby mount and I do not regret my choice of mount design at all. I'm thankful for that because its not like a buffalo, I don't think I have another Derby Eland hunt left in me.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Imagine taking one of the premiere african animals, including any of the big five, and then mounting it like that....

In addition to liking the above, I am also the guy who would rug a leopard and lion or skull mount a buffalo. Sometimes elegant is simple.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
and sometimes simple is butt-ugly. and would you take a leopard rug mount, turn it on its side, throw in a fake palm frond and window frame,then wrinkle up the remaining hide??

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Imagine taking one of the premiere african animals, including any of the big five, and then mounting it like that....

In addition to liking the above, I am also the guy who would rug a leopard and lion or skull mount a buffalo. Sometimes elegant is simple.

I have no problem with doing a leopard rug, and I have a couple buffalo skulls that I display that way, but I think it is a shame to do that LDE the way it is shown. The good thing is, my opinion on this one doesn't matter. As long as its owner likes it, that's all that matters. However, I'd never do an animal like that.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to meet one who got a full size leopard say, "Gee, I wish I would have rugged it..."

I can see it with a bear, but a leopard??

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I would like to meet one who got a full size leopard say, "Gee, I wish I would have rugged it..."

I would also do a simple horn mount on rhino (and hang my binos from it). I am a firm believer in understatement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

I would also do a simple horn mount on rhino (and hang my binos from it). I am a firm believer in understatement.

Well, I will stick to my original supposition: I don't think I will ever meet anyone who did do a full mount on a leopard and regretted it.

I don't shoulder mount everything I shoot; I don't even mount the buffalo skulls on a plaque - they are either sitting on the floor of my TR or on top of the bookshelf/rifle display.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tendrams - I am also a believer in understatement and simple elegance, and all of the mounts you mentioned I could easily live with (rugged leopard or lion, buffalo skull mount, rhino horn coat hook). I think there's a big difference between a rugged leopard or lion, and a rugged LDE cape and head stuck on a rectangular board. A rugged lion or leopard has a classic, vintage look to it. This mount has no redeeming qualities - it just looks dead. It would be a tremendous waste to mount a cape eland this way, but a LDE? This obvious attempt at trying to be "artistic" is a huge failure on every level. Just my opinion.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This mount has no redeeming qualities - it just looks dead. It would be a tremendous waste to mount a cape eland this way, but a LDE? This obvious attempt at trying to be "artistic" is a huge failure on every level. Just my opinion.

Don't hold back Molepolole. Tell us how you really feel.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Salvador Dali ? jumping

Different , but not quite my thing .

Scriptus. I thought perhaps a unicorn caught in one of our tornadoes.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote