Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Press Release From Namibia's NAPHA
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
It is so easy to curcify the NAPHA Board, but how about we band together to actually thank them for having the courage to stand up and speak out against the illegal and unethical operators and the clients who encourage them with demands for certain trophies at any cost - (supply and demand...) whose actions THREATEN THE FUTURE OF THIS SPORT WHICH WE ALL LOVE SO MUCH.
Granted - their initial Press Release was heavy handed and badly written. Thier subsequent clarification does make totaly sence, though.

It is the very actions that NAPHA is condemning so strongly that will give the non-hunting movements all the ammo. that they require to use against us.

I fully support NAPHA.

Posts: 6 | Location: USA & Africa | Registered: 18 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got this release from the PHASA news letter.

NAPHA Press Release – 9th October 2009

We at NAPHA, the Namibian Professional Hunting Association, are proud of our country, our clients and our members who are committed to ethical hunting. Namibia is one of the few countries in the world where government and the hunting industry work closely together. In Namibia sport hunting is widely accepted and approved and our visiting hunters are treated well. In hindsight we realize that, unfortunately our press release of September 23 created several impressions that worked against us. We would like to correct those impressions and set the record straight.

First, some background on the issue of hunting big cats: On April 24 and June 15 this year, the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET, which has jurisdiction over our hunting industry) issued moratoriums, first on cheetah and then on leopard, for the issuing of trophy hunting permits. The export quotas for these two species had been met for the year. MET’s decision was supported by NAPHA, although several Trophy Hunting Operators had to inform clients of this on short notice.

Meanwhile, word of unscrupulous and possibly illegal leopard hunting began to reach us. NAPHA’s Executive Committee called a Special General Meeting, on July 31, of the membership to discuss the leopard and cheetah situation. An overwhelming majority voted to request MET to temporarily suspend hound hunting, and to draft better guidelines for fair-chase pursuit of these animals.

Second, our public perceived threats: We should not have invoked the US Fish Wildlife Service, the America’s Lacey Act or any other international authorities or laws. It was not our intention to threaten or single out any specific nationality of hunting client. A trophy that was taken unlawfully in Namibia, could in turn, trigger local laws in whatever country the illegal trophy is shipped to.

Third, visiting hunters are not responsible for knowing Namibia’s trophy hunting laws and regulations in detail. We agree that they must be able to put themselves in the hands of our qualified and registered Namibian Hunting Professionals and have the confidence that these laws will be kept.

Fourth, NAPHA itself: We are a not-for-profit, member-run trade association, not an arm of government, and we have no legal authority. Since 1974 we have sought to protect the right to hunt by establishing guidelines for fair chase and by advising government on game and land-use laws to sustain our wild species. Membership is voluntary and today the majority of Namibia’s Hunting Professionals belong to the association. In order to join NAPHA, Hunting Professionals are required to provide proof that they fulfill all the required criteria to operate in Namibia - this is one of the many benefits of booking with a NAPHA member. We are the only group that represents the private sector of the trophy hunting industry in Namibia.

Hunting Professional certification in Namibia is awarded by MET, not by NAPHA. There are legitimate Hunting Professionals in Namibia, who are not members of NAPHA. Disagreements can occur in any group of people, and some individuals are not “joiners.” It is not our intention to force people into our association. It is our intention, however, to get everyone in our country to play according to the rules in order to safeguard hunting for the future.

Illegal hunting became a fact of life from the moment the first game laws were enacted, centuries ago. Since then it’s been an ongoing battle, with standards continually evolving. Today Namibia has some of the most sane and sensible game laws on earth—and, as a direct result, some of the best trophy hunting. However, as long as there are hunting clients who want certain trophies at any cost and by any means, there will be Hunting Professionals willing to deliver, even here in Namibia.

The present furor has come about because we take these matters seriously and because we want to inform people about the possible pitfalls of hunting in Namibia with illegal, non-qualified and unregistered outfitters conducting unlawful and unethical hunting.

However, our original statement was too harsh; we apologize. With hunting under pressure in so many places, we cannot afford to create divisions within our own ranks—especially concerning matters that most hunters agree on. Response from around the world showed us this, and is helping to guide our actions. We appreciate the feedback.

Our goals here are self-regulation within Namibia and open communication with the international community—for the sake of our superb trophy hunting.

NAPHA Executive Committee

Posts: 73 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
It is true that the goal of protecting the resource is a good one; however, the means chosen and expressed are too extreme with a real potential of harm far beyond the benefit to be gained. I am currently planning a hunt in Namibia and will probably continue to do so.

I would like to avoid those who have played a role in developing and issuing these statements. If they are so radical in their approach to resolving issues then they are certainly not people to whom I will trust my well being and fortune.

So far I have been unable to access the NAPHA web site to identify the leadership. Posting of the names and outfitters with whom they are associated would be helpful in avoiding those with this radical attitude.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this thread needs a large dose of common sense and a lot less PARANOIA on the part of some posters. bewildered

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But, but, but it's more fun to go off half cocked!

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lamprecht's are the ones running the Namibia seminars at SCI I believe? Attended one a couple of years ago, good presentation. I would bet this is where the "attend the seminars at SCI to learn the Namibia hunting laws" idea came from? A lot of good people have and are working really hard for the better of Namibia, just don't know which ones to trust at this time. Until the current NAPHA Board is replaced things will not improve much in my opinion. I also think NAPHA will see a real decrease in membership by those that don't want or agree with the current policies being wielded out by the culprits up there. I think Namibia outfitters who are coming to the USA shows better be prepared to do a lot of fast talking. Hopefully the Government agencies will have this sorted out by then?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tom & Linda Worthington:
We have been following the threads involving the unfortunate and ill considered NAPHA policy statement. We are dismayed by the wording in the statement, but we also believe that the extreme sentiments and aggressive words in the statement were born of an honest desire to combat very real dangers that threaten game conservation in Namibia , as elseywhere. Namibia takes their position as stewards of this resource very seriously, and they have seen this resource abused in recent months. In a desperation move they have unwittingly and unintentionally offended the very hunters for whom they have worked to provide exceptional hunting.

Without question, the original policy statement is offensive. But also without doubt, the calmer heads within the administration, both of NAPHA and of the country, have stepped forward to attempt to explain, to apologize and to rectify the damage done in the hunting community.

In Namibia we hunted with Joof and Marina Lamprecht's Hunters Namibia Safaris. We were immensely impressed and moved by the sincerity and commitment of the Lamprechts, their family, their staff and many of the people with whom they interact constantly on a government level, to assure that the quality and quantity of the game and the availability and suitability of the habitat remain among the finest available in Africa. They have spent countless hours in meetings, on committees and, working on the land to fulfill what they see as their duty to their beloved county and the amazing number of species that live there. They have sometimes placed themselves in physical danger to combat poachers and illegal hunting operations. They are dedicated to the welfare both of the game species and the hunters who legally pursue them.

We are deeply troubled by the reaction of some forum members, who seem determined to punish the country of Namibia and the many fine individuals who provide exceptional support for hunters in their country. Anger is understandable; an attitude of resentful retribution is hardly better than the words that have occasioned it.

Rather than depriving Namibia and the fine hunting operations there of our dollars and our support, we might recall words that we have spoken in the past that others found offensive or "threatening", and now accept the sincerely offered apology offered by NAPHA. Namibia, and the game species that depend on hunting for survival, need us more now than ever before. Who are we to react to misspoken words with arrogant and punitive actions of our own, and what good can that possibly do?

Tom and Linda Worthington
Cascade, MD

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Larry - Marina Lamprecht presents specific seminars annually as SCI such as 'Non-Hunters on Safari', or 'The Family on Safari'. I have attended her seminars over the past few years and they are charming and informative - really worth while. That is what convinced my wife and children to join me on safari - great stuff!!The seminar to which Metzger so arrogantly referred in the letter posted of AR is, however, the 'official' NAPHA seminar on hunting in Namibia - that is presented by Diethlem Metzger (the arrogant President of NAPHA) and the CEO, Almut Kronsbein.
Big difference between those role players - I assure you!!

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
The Lamprecht's are the ones running the Namibia seminars at SCI I believe? Attended one a couple of years ago, good presentation. I would bet this is where the "attend the seminars at SCI to learn the Namibia hunting laws" idea came from? A lot of good people have and are working really hard for the better of Namibia, just don't know which ones to trust at this time. Until the current NAPHA Board is replaced things will not improve much in my opinion. I also think NAPHA will see a real decrease in membership by those that don't want or agree with the current policies being wielded out by the culprits up there. I think Namibia outfitters who are coming to the USA shows better be prepared to do a lot of fast talking. Hopefully the Government agencies will have this sorted out by then?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tom & Linda Worthington:
We have been following the threads involving the unfortunate and ill considered NAPHA policy statement. We are dismayed by the wording in the statement, but we also believe that the extreme sentiments and aggressive words in the statement were born of an honest desire to combat very real dangers that threaten game conservation in Namibia , as elseywhere. Namibia takes their position as stewards of this resource very seriously, and they have seen this resource abused in recent months. In a desperation move they have unwittingly and unintentionally offended the very hunters for whom they have worked to provide exceptional hunting.

Without question, the original policy statement is offensive. But also without doubt, the calmer heads within the administration, both of NAPHA and of the country, have stepped forward to attempt to explain, to apologize and to rectify the damage done in the hunting community.

In Namibia we hunted with Joof and Marina Lamprecht's Hunters Namibia Safaris. We were immensely impressed and moved by the sincerity and commitment of the Lamprechts, their family, their staff and many of the people with whom they interact constantly on a government level, to assure that the quality and quantity of the game and the availability and suitability of the habitat remain among the finest available in Africa. They have spent countless hours in meetings, on committees and, working on the land to fulfill what they see as their duty to their beloved county and the amazing number of species that live there. They have sometimes placed themselves in physical danger to combat poachers and illegal hunting operations. They are dedicated to the welfare both of the game species and the hunters who legally pursue them.

We are deeply troubled by the reaction of some forum members, who seem determined to punish the country of Namibia and the many fine individuals who provide exceptional support for hunters in their country. Anger is understandable; an attitude of resentful retribution is hardly better than the words that have occasioned it.

Rather than depriving Namibia and the fine hunting operations there of our dollars and our support, we might recall words that we have spoken in the past that others found offensive or "threatening", and now accept the sincerely offered apology offered by NAPHA. Namibia, and the game species that depend on hunting for survival, need us more now than ever before. Who are we to react to misspoken words with arrogant and punitive actions of our own, and what good can that possibly do?

Tom and Linda Worthington
Cascade, MD

Posts: 6 | Location: USA & Africa | Registered: 18 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who are these people running NAPHA and why remain anonymous?
A leopard is the only animal left on my list that I would pay to mount life sized. Namibia was at the top of my list until the simpletons that run NAPHA started throwing comments around about the lacey act. The only way namibia would remain in consideration would be to learn who these folks are who not only talk down to their clients but threaten them with int'l sanctions and or jail.

A bit of sunshine and fresh air is in order or we need to warn prospective Namibian clients at the conventions who don't visit AR.

Paranoia is not the cause of my concern since I doubt a paranoid person would hunt in africa anyway.

Adrian,

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Helgaard van der Vyver
posted Hide Post
In these days where I believe most Namibian Professional Hunters, especially NAPHA Professional Hunters like myself might prefer to keep a low profile and hope that somebody will repair the damage, it's probably suicidal to run your mouth, but regrettably the damage is done, so here goes and that's just me !

First a quote from what a respected pioneer and Professional Hunter wrote. I will not mention his name, because he is obviously not involved.

The Unprofessional "Professional Hunter"

Competition is not only confined to measurement of the trophy but to finding the trophy itself, particularly rare or impressive species, such as elephant, lion or Leopard.
The client ( or collector, because at this stage I cannot call him a hunter anymore ) who wants a specific animal and does not care how he comes by it. He will then go to a professional hunter ( who is not worthy of the title if he agrees to illicit or unfair measures ) to get him such an animal, by fair means or foul, usually the latter.
This makes them both guilty of the worst crime you can commit in the hunting world.

This is to me an accurate description of what gave birth to our current situation.
Be it the unprofessional PH or the client who's money did the talking, but combined their illicit or unfair measures obtained mostly in other countries were perfected here in Namibia.

Rare or impressive species like the Leopard are now abused, tortured and destroyed with perfection.

It will be a sad day when my son asks me if I had a part in destroying them, so much so that he can not hunt them in future like I did.

With this in mind I can understand the frustration and possible anger that people may have. It demands a mighty cool head to do the right thing, when the exsistence of something you cherish is threatened.
This applies both ways.

Although I do not support the original NAPHA press release and obviously somewhat reluctant to call myself one in this light, I am still a NAPHA member and do not make any excuses for being one.

I hope we can find a solution and regain the trust of our valued hunting clients abroad, so that our lives as sportsmen can be even more rewarding and satisfactory.

Posts: 42 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with the rank and file of NAPHA. I have several people I am proud to call my friends who are members. I also have no problem with the moratorium on leopard hunting. I do not particularly care for hunting with with hounds. My problem was and is that we as Americans were singled out and threatened. The second press release explains things much better but does not specifically address why we were targeted. I can only believe that they hold all Americans in contempt. Trust once broken is not easily regained. It will take time and hard work on both sides. I did what I thought was necessary to make my point. I am a collector but not in the sense you portray. I love to go different places and hunt different species. I get a lot of my animals taxidermied to remind me of the hunt. I dont give a damn about any record books. I only care about the experience and quality of the hunt. If something does score well that is a plus but not a deciding factor. My money for this year has been spent elsewhere. The second press release comes too little and too late. I cant unring that bell even if I would. Truthfully I am still pissed off by the initial message. I dont know that I would have anyway. How would you all suggest that we can rebuild that trust? I see that as clients we have to take a leap of faith and accept the risk to do this. What does it cost you as NAPHA members to rebuild this trust? What is the risk on your part? I understand that the NAPHA leaders are sorry. The question is are they sorry for what was said or sorry because of the backlash? I do not believe there was a genuine apology given.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Helgaard the problem now is one of trust.

NAPHA overreached with this policy statement and now have to retract it and significantly so. In my opinion NAPHA needs to consider that they are in full damage control mode. They have to decide between a loss of business for there members(which they are clearly loathe to do) or have the punitive power to report clients to foreign governments.
In my opinion they have no choice but to unequivocably state that they will not be party to reporting any visiting huntinter to foreign authorities. They just need to give that little bit of perceived power up to start the healing process.

Now let's say they don't and sometime next year an American hunter gets reported to USFG (it won't be me as I will be in Zim).

If you think the reaction was negative now, it would then go through the roof and NAPHA would have zero goodwill left to try and heal it. It could throw the Namibian hunting industry completely on its head.

If I had a hunting operation I would not think it is worth the financial risk to let NAPHA leadership think it has the authority or responsibility to do this. Leave it up to MET if someone has to do it.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NAPHA is going to be the one prosecuted before this is over.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not see the second statement as an apology but just another poor explanation of the first statement, more of a song and dance act to get some heat off of them. The original threat to contact US athorities for Lacey Act prosecution
could be costly enough to defend by the average US hunter that he could be destroyed financially even if he is innocent - most likely all on account of something his PH did or did not do properly. If they want to adress the situation, then direct it at those responsible - not the guest hunter who is attempting to follow all guidelines and most probably does not know all the laws & rules in Namibia. It is so unfortunate that this has happened because there was so much to offer there and now under these conditions it would be a real risk to hunt in Namibia. I don't think I would be comfortable hunting there and I almost booked there last year and was planning to go this year if things worked out. It is good however that there are several other good countries to hunt and anyone with an open mind will find an alternative hunt without a problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
NAPHA is going to be the one prosecuted before this is over.

WHAT ON EARTH COULD THEY BE PROSECUTED FOR????

SERIOUSLY, I would love an explanation for this prosecution, do you think that going around on every NAPHA feed saying "they should be prosecuted" makes you seem like a bad@ss?

I know I'm not the only one who laughs his ass off when I see you post, ignorant threats/ comments like this.

You're like the people at a town hall meeting saying, "we should secede from the Union!" Just wanting to make noise, we got your point NAPHA has broken the "LAWS of BULIWYF!"

Which fortunately for everyone else and I guess NAPHA is a magical land where you can condemn anyone/organization to your tribunals.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe NAPHA! I do believe action should be taken against NAPHA in the form of legal prosecution of NAPHA officials and a true vote of NAPHA members to remove NAPHA perpetrators or else an international financial sanction be implemented against NAPHA.

NAPHA institued a Schorched Earth Terror Policy against all non-NAPHA PH's. NAPHA's zeal in the wanton commercial slaughter of non-NAPHA PH's included the tactic of destroying the non-NAPHA member "food source"....the foreign sportsman. Mainly Americans. NAPHA pursued its regin of terror against innocent sport hunters without any regard to the complete and utter destruction of lives. NAPHA perpetrators do not want their names publicly listed becuase they fear that the financial destruction they cold-heartedly calculated for non-NAPHA PH's and American clients will now be visited upon them as it will be. NAPHA perpetrators can run, but they can not hide!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote