Find
Notify
Tools

Press Release From Namibia's NAPHA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
If I read right, all a bad PH has to do is up his rates and he will be as hard to spot as a mamba at midnight.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve, It isnt just the wording that has me upset. The issuance of a threat implys not only the ability but a willingness to follow through with it. On the one hand I think they are trying to clean things up. On the other I smell greed. Using the Lacey act against a hapless hunter who unwittingly is in violation is akin to using a 50 BMG on a dik dik. Overkill isnt even an adequate description. This was a threat, not a simple you might be in violation statement. I still want to know why American hunters were singled out. I also want to know why the folks who issued this statement decided to use the biggest gun in the arsenal. I want to know what they are going to do about the situation being discussed in regards to the leopard hunt. Last is there going to be equal enforcement of all different nationals in the future? A felony conviction for an American as well as all the legal grief compared to what? Will everyone from every country who commits the same offense receive the same treament and penalties? It would appear not.

Karl, I would like to hear your opinion on this. I really want someone to convince me that this is just a big misunderstanding.

Mike, I would just like to say first off, that I cannot speak for NAPHA, and that what I post here is my own opinion.

I agree that the wording sounds harsh, but I do think that the intention was not to scare off any normal law abiding client/ hunter. The fact is that there has been cases where trophy hunters has willingly and knowingly broken the law, and I think this press release is aimed at them. Also, you should understand that the person that wrote the press release (I am not sure who it was, so this is speculation), does not speak English as a first language, so the wording may sound even harsher. I do not think anyone should write Namibia off as a hunting destination because of the press release, but I do think that if you feel strong enough about the press release, make your feelings known to NAPHA by sending them an email.

Also, I do not think the statement is aimed at forcing anyone to hunt with a NAPHA member only. If you want to hunt with someone that is not on their membership list ( http://www.natron.net/napha/members/index.html ),with either BGPH, PH, MHG or HG behind their name, just ask them to email you a copy of his/ hers last regisration at MET as a PH / hunting guide, as well as his/ her registration at Namibian Tourism Board as a hunting safari operator.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I don't blame you or other hunters, esp American hunters for being pissed off by all this and like Karl, I'm sure it's more a case of inappropriate phraseology than anything else. I'm equally sure that the threat wasn't intentional.

Karl Also raises a good point when he say that whoever wrote the press releases probably doesn't speak English as a first language which could well explain a lot.

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
I want to support Karl's statement that 10 to 1 a guy with English as second [Read: School-taught, and read between the lines as his most disliked subject!] language drafted the press release. I know how often my best intentions of making a friendly leg-pulling joke come across as most obnoxious due to poor choice of words!

The advice to each hunter planning to visit Namibia to ask for a copy of his actual registration(s) as some class of PH or Hunting Guide and as a Safari Operator is really worth following to the letter! To this it should be superfluous to add: Remember that not a single PH license issued by any province in South Africa is worth anything in Namibia: Make sure your Safari Operator and PH or Guide is/are registered in Namibia if you plan hunt there. Do this BEFORE you advance any money as deposit!.

[Much the same advice applies in South Africa - but there you have to be sure that you only hunt in the province(s) for which your Hunting Outfitter is licensed.]

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
Since I've got a right to face my accuser, how they gonna get all those involved to a US court to testify?

Well, if it is anything like the case involving Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso, the US Border Patrol agents, the US .gov will fly some Africans over first class, put them in a nice hotel, give them blanket immunity and have them testify against you.

And while I mean no disrespect to the PH that are defending the press release, the "No speake or writy good engrish" excuse is not reassuring. The press release was a shot across the bow of American hunters. I had a friend visited by some feds to 'ask a few questions' after a guided hunt on Indian tribal land here in the US. I have no desire to follow in his footsteps because of a pissing match between two Africans.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It was foolish of NAPHA to threaten to report foreign hunters who may unknowingly (or even knowingly) break Namibia's hunting laws.

It will not help, but can only hurt, their cause.

And how can they hope to extricate themselves from this fix?

By reversing course and suggesting that they will turn a blind eye to foreign hunters who break Namibian law? Hah!

They have really screwed the pooch on this one.

Still, Namibia is a great hunting destination, and this ill-advised press release sure as hell won't keep me away! Smiler

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that the trade association stay out of "reporting people to foreign governments". No need to turn a blind eye but the case against the hunter needs to be willful for something to move forward. If the hunter is charged with a crime and isn't in the country to answer for it they can extradite him or refuse his entry in the future. Any communication with our government needs to come from the Namibian government, not a private club.

If they don't like SA PH's coming up and hunting Namibian territory then don't let them into the country. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

If they actually did this i would bet the outcome would be a slap on the wrist to anyone in African (PH, outfitter, etc...) but the American hunter gets nuked.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
Sent to NAPHA and MET this morning (with copies of the press release)...

I have been participating/following a thread on the Accurate Reloading internet forums about a press release from NAPHA. I would like to confirm that this was actually released from NAPHA and I have a couple of questions about a specific case that may have triggered it.
First the release then the case.
Then regarding the case specifically. What are the penalties that have been imposed (or will likely be imposed) on the professional actors in the event (the Namibian Outfitter, the Namibian PH and the South African dog handler)? What were the conditions of the Canadian admitting unconditionally that he hunted illegally? Is his statement available? And what penalties might he face (or avoided) by signing the statement?
This is a very active topic with a number of members declaring there unwillingness to return to Namibia if NAPHA is truly threatening to police them and report them to the USFG for prosecution under the Lacey Act if they do something wrong. As such I would like to hear from the source itself to make certain that we have a full understanding of this issue.
Sincerely,
John Hunt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:16 AM
To: jhunt@hunthosted.com; napha@mweb.com.na
Cc: sts@met.na; kamab@africaonline.com.na
Subject: RE: Latest press release

Dear Mr. Hunt,

The approved NAPHA Press release you will find below.

Before we get to the case in question, some comments: It is not our intention to go after the international hunter. We want the co-operation of the hunter to clarify and if needs be, to address the local PH and/or Outfitter. It is the hunters responsibility to know what is legal and what not. For years we have given seminars at SCI where we inform hunters of legal issues and ethics, also our Press Releases serve the purpose of informing hunters.

To your question: At this stage we cannot say anything about the penalties, because they will have to be determined by our legal system. I do not quiet understand your second question: A Ministry official and our Disciplinary committee Chairman questioned the parties involved, and the Ministry official recorded their statements. Statements are with our Ministry of Environment and Tourism and are not available at the moment. Penalties, will be determined by the legal system in Namibia.

Finally, we are of the opinion that hunters should live up to their pledge: hunting is applied conservation, and that does not leave any room for illegal hunting.

Yours truly,

Diethelm Metzger

NAPHA President

Mr. Metzger,

I think you are at what we call “a tipping point” on this subject. So if I can be so bold as to suggest that you have American public relations firm look at what you are trying to accomplish and what you have actually done with this memo. Because I believe that there is a cultural element to this that you and NAPHA do not understand, because if you did you would recognize the dangerous place you have positioned hunting in Namibia and would work very hard to change it and quickly.

In your note below you state “It is not our intention to go after the international hunter. We want the co-operation of the hunter to clarify and if needs be, to address the local PH and/or Outfitter.” But then your press release threatens American hunters with enforcement of the Lacey Act. Which one is it?

If you think it will be of any benefit whatsoever to threaten American hunters then you are sorely miscalculating your message. You might want to review some of the comments on the Accurate Reloading site in relation to this memo? Pay attention to the small poll that shows 51% of the respondents are less likely or now simply won’t come hunt in Namibia. Now think what happens as this gets more broadly discussed at SCI and DSC.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/2281037711

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/7121094711

Sincerely,

John Hunt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve and Karl et all,
I agree that there is probably a language issue. That said they sure as hell understand the threat of the Lacey act. I dont want anyone to think I am supporting illegal activities. I am not. My concern is that Americans were singled out when the case being quoted did not involve anyone in the US. The Lacey act is a very serious threat. It should not be used lightly. As far as the gent from NAPHA goes I think he still has some explaining to do. How can you possibly expect a foreign hunter to know the intricate details of your laws? There are things that are obviously wrong, others not so clear. Then there are permits etc. We have to trust our ph to have everything in order. This is especially true when we hunt with NAPHA members. I do by the way. I agree with John that this is a public relations nightmare. I still want to know why hunters from the US were singled out. Also since you said you would post the names of phs who were in violation, who was involved? Is there more to this story we are not hearing? Also if a hunter is not a member of SCI ( I am) they are apparently at a disadvantage from not hearing your seminar. You need to hold your members to the same standards you are applying to the clients.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is the hunters responsibility to know what is legal and what not. For years we have given seminars at SCI where we inform hunters of legal issues and ethics, also our Press Releases serve the purpose of informing hunters.

WOW!!!! Is this really their response? Why am I not surprised - this sounds very Germanic to me:

-Before you come hunt in Namibia, you need to study and learn the hunting laws.

-You need to go to SCI and attend seminars to learn the rules of hunting in Namibia.

-you need to google Namibia Hunting and find the hits for NAPHA press releases

Because YOU WILL be reported by NAPHA if you break hunting laws even while acting under the guidance and direction of one of our MET licensed "Professional Hunters".

If you are not willing to do this, don't come hunting in our country.

These guys confirmed they really have their heads up their asses. I thought they deserved the benefit of the doubt- but they are serious and stand behind their original statement.

Do yourself a favor and go to Zim and hunt with a reliable PH, because if you hunt in Namibia IT IS YOUR FAULT for not knowing the hunting rules and regs and CERTAINLY NOT NAPHA or MET's fault for failing to police their own citizens and their illegal hunting practices.

Really, what a bunch of jerks they are. Let's see bookings drop 30% and see what they say then.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job JohnHunt. NAPHA may have opened itself up to prosecution for blackmail, greenmail, and racketeering. Sportsmen will end up paying bribe money to NAPHA to keep NAPHA from filing false reports to the respective sportsman's foreign government. NAPHA is acting like an organized crime syndicate rubbing out non NAPHA PH's. Don't tip a NAPHA member and watch how quick they file false charges with the foreign government.

At the core of this matter is money. NAPHA's goal is to eliminate market competition not protect sport hunting.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Just to underline NAPHA's complete lack of sense.

Consider this, USFG is watching all sport hunting throughout the world. In fact you can argue there are plenty of USFG employees that would love to shut down trophy hunting.

Now consider that USFG doesn't need CITES or anyone else to forbid the import of trophies into the US. Give them a good reason and they will shut it down all on there own. For instance Polar bears... I bet Saeed can bring one home, but just try to bring one home to Denver. Same goes for black faced impala, cheetah, etc...

Now consider that Namibia itself has officially acknowledged that they can't manage Leopard hunting (hence they shut it down temporarly). They reopen it and start reporting hunters (and by definition telling the USFG that they are still having a hard time managing Leopard hunting). Guess what the response might very well be... the restriction of the import of Leopard hides to the US from Namibia. USFG might just decide to "manage" it for Namibia.

Guess what that will do for Namibian hunting.

They are playing with fire on this on a number of fronts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Namibian Government may well bring criminal and civil charges against NAPHA before NAPHA destroys an important revenue stream.

NAPHA is playing with fire on all fronts with its misguided amateur antics. NAPHA is meddling not managing.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since we can not rely on our NAPHA ph to know and keep us in compliance with Namibian law I have one thing to say
Zambia here I come!

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand what is the problem?

You have to follow the law wherever you hunt, if it is back at home, in Africa or in Europe.

Not knowing a law and breaking it is no excuse anywhere and applies to all laws!

IMO this press release was a warning and that is the way I understand it.

The press release intentions are IMO made to make US hunters aware of the Lacey act and the possible consequences of breaking it unknowingly.

Ask yourself how many US hunters know that such an act / law exist?

Do they know the full implication, content and consequences of this act?

If you visit any country you know that there a laws and you know if you don’t follow the laws you open yourself up to possible problems.

I agree 100% NAPHA that it is the hunter’s responsibility to make sure he knows the local laws!

The US aspect the same from foreign hunters if they want to hunt in the USA!

IMO NAPHA addresses US hunters in particular in their press release is because of the increase of hunters from the US in recent years and not to single them out but to protect them!

NAPHA or at least some of their members did report extreme misconduct / law breaking of visiting hunters to national hunting association in Europe.

I think Namibia / NAPHA I doing up to now a much better job than the other countries in Africa to clean up and keep hunting clean!

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Mike Smith please check your PMs

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
I think we are dealing with a Tuetonic one track mind. These Namibians are so fixated on their original point, they can't see anything else that has come up since. "They are only trying to help the Americans." This reminds me of the start of WW1. When it finally dawned on the Kaiser that the crap was fixing to hit the fan, he couldn't call his general off. "The mobilisation has started and can't be stopped."

Gpopper

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO NAPHA addresses US hunters in particular in their press release is because of the increase of hunters from the US in recent years and not to single them out but to protect them!

If this is protection I dont want it. I agree that ultimately we the hunters accept resposibility for our actions. Obviously you and the rest of Africa have a problem understanding the severity of the Lacey act and what it is intended for. A small unintentional violation of a simple paperwork error could put us in violation technically. This is not what the act is intended for. It is intended to protect wildlife by being able to posecute hunters and others for violations in other countries. It is not however intended to be used on small relatively inconsequential offenses. It is intended to prevent serious circumvention of the law. A hunter should be held accordingly for infractions. Minor infractons should be handled by the country they are comitted in. Major breaches of the law which constitute a felony should be pursued under the act. It is both the seriousness of the violatin as well as the intent. The point is if someone screws up purposely or accidently they should be held accountable accordingly. This does not mean throwing the Lacey act at any American hunter who has a problem. You had better first look at your own people. We trust our ph to keep us out of trouble both in the field and in having correct permits, making sure we hunt in accordance with the laws etc. If not what are we paying them for? I could if allowed get all of my own permits, set up a hunt on particular sections of land, and hunt by myself quite nicely if it were allowed. The organization has to hold its members to at least the same standard as the visiting hunter. Truthfully since they are in fact in a position of authority they should be held to an even higher standard. None of us have a problem with and are all for Namibia cleaning up the industry. We do not take kindly to being threatened. WE do not take kindly to being singled out in a press release that comes from an event involving a Namibian ph, South African dog handler, and a Canadian client. NAPHA has just put themselves in a very bad position. If they press ahead with the bias they have openly shown they will loose lots of American dollars and I imagine quite a lot from Europe as well. If they reverse course they look like it is the wild west out there and anything goes. Perhaps an apology is in order to us. So why have we not heard about all this misconduct everyone alludes to? Who are the culprits? Who are the phs? What was the offense. Did someone poach a lion or leopard or was it a paperwork error? You do see a difference here dont you?
Since Napha reported or some of their members did, that europeans created serious violations to hunting associations in europe I must ask this. Where these hunters under the direction and control of a NAPHA member at the time and if they were what the hell was the ph doing? I want things to get cleaned up but I also want fairness and equall responsibility from all parties including the NAPHA members involved.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
If they reverse course they look like it is the wild west out there and anything goes. Perhaps an apology is in order to us.

The possible penalties of Lacey Act violations are so severe it's hard to imagine a simple apology would regain hunters confidence. Their stated willingness to legally and financially destroy the lives of clients due to unintentional hunting violations may require reorganization of NAPHA from the top down to repair the damage.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Freischutz,

looks like you are in the minority opinion here. Perhaps you should take it upon yourself to start something similar in Zambia, there are probably way too many Americans bringing US dollars into Zambia as well these days. What with Africa leading the way to a worldwide economic recovery in the past year and all...
I would expect the Namibian government may execute the board of NAPHA by years end as well as they have handled this issue. Isn't that the way things are handled in your countries?

regards,

Rich
I can spend my money any way I like here

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
bump

One of Us
posted Hide Post
freischuetz,

NAPHA has committed extortion. The sooner NAPHA officials are arrested and prosecuted the better for Namibia. Non-NAPHA PH's are allowed by law to conduct safaris in Namibia. NAPHA has broken the law. NAPHA's greed is going to land them in prision.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Freischutz,

in gang dominated parts of some of the larger cities merchants pay the same type of "protection money" you are talking about from similar groups. Protection from those groups own gang members beating them up, destroying their business, scaring customers away. etc.

English is obviously not your primary language, so let me put their memo in simpler wording.
"If we find out you hunted with a non-gang member (insert NAPHA here), we will attempt to get your trophies confiscated and your ass arrested when you return to the United States...".
Is that simple enough for you?

Just say NO! to Namibia

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Allow us to introduce ourselves. We are a group of stakeholders: AR members, International Hunters, Professional Hunters(NAPHA & Non-NAPHA members), Predator Control Specialists,Commercial Farmers from Namibia(cattle/game), Taxidermists, Shipping Agents that will not tolerate NAPHA's uncalled-for behavior.

This following statement is based on "pure facts" and not like a empty vessel that makes the most noise.

- The Minister of the Ministry of Environmental and Tourism of Namibia (MET) has not stopped hound hunting nor hunting of leopard/cheetah for 2010. NAPHA, who knows why, has falsely sent this message into the world. Before such decisions can be made it must be agreed to in the Cabinet and then it must be gazetted. Neither have been done up to now. It was further said that MET wanted to wait till the end of the hunting season to recognized the status of the quota issue, only then will a decision be made. We quote:

“When I spoke with Beytell (MET’s director of Parks and Wildlife) in late August, neither of NAPHA’S recommendations had been implemented, but the prohibition of hunting with hounds was under serious consideration. Beytell said it was much too early to talk about a moratorium on leopard hunting permits for 2010, as such action may prove unnecessary. He said they were most likely to wait for the end of the hunting season and see how many additional leopards are actually taken” (The Hunting Report, September 2009, Vol 29, No 9)

- NAPHA called on a Special General Meeting on 31st of July(only for NAPHA members) to meet in the middle of our hunting season to cast a vote concerning the issues on leopard/cheetah hunting in Namibia. Less than a 100 members attended this meeting, a vote was casted and NAPHA ran with it to the media. The question everybody is asking: Was that a true indication or implication of all stakeholders involved? Makes one think that this whole issue was carefully planned, but not entirely thought through.

- Monopoly and Jealousy is very active within NAPHA. We are referring to South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe's houndsmen entering Namibia legally, with work permits, using Namibian Safari Operators to conduct their safaris. We have not heard any complaints from those countries associations about Namibian Safaris Operators conducting safaris in their countries. Or are we missing something here?
We also quote Graig Boddington's remark on this issue :

“Certainly in Namibia, the primary emphasis for closing leopard hunting with hounds is not a moral, ethical, or even common sense argument. I believe it is pure outfitter jealousy, those who do not have a pack of hounds available, or choose not to use them, trying to shut down those who do.” (http://www.sportsafield.com/FAQ/Boddingtonbloghounds.htm)

- The so called policy to hunt only with NAPHA members is "RIDICULOUS" If 90% of Namibia's Professional Hunters belong to NAPHA then one should hunt with the remaining 10%, because they do not seem to participate in unethical and unlawful practices. We need to recognize that everybody should be dealt with under the ordinance of MET for illegal practices. It is not up to NAPHA to prosecute these individuals, but up to MET. NAPHA can not speculate misconduct in Namibia, spread these roomers across the world without proof. It is law to first charge, prosecute and then find someone guilty. NAPHA's guesswork is sending the wrong message out to the wrong people. They are cutting their nose to spite their face. For that matter, for all of us!

- "THE LACEY ACT" - NAPHA used this as a threat to USA clients, because that is what it was, no matter how you look at it. We do not believe that NAPHA ever considered to follow through with this, but to simply warn Professional Hunters from Namibia, to stop with illegal practices. We have to believe that they addressed the wrong entity and they should post a letter of apology.

All the above statements were "facts" We want to leave all the stakeholders with one conclusion and the only "assumption" throughout this statement.
If NAPHA is suppose to represent most of the Professional Hunters of Namibia, why did they not handle this internally, with proper consideration within Namibia? Why sent a message to the international hunting industry of paranoia?
NAPHA gives us no choice, but to consider that a "animal rights group" has infiltrated within their association.

Please forgive us, but we chose to stay anonymous for the time being, "till our new house is in order"

PINKPANTHERONTRACK

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
FYI All:

Diethelm Metzger wrote me via email today and said they will "post a clarification on the board by Friday!"

Hmmmmmmm......

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too bad we cant apply the RICO statutes on them. It certainly seems to apply.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Well....here's where the rubber meets the road.

Several weeks ago an AR member posted a great 10 day deal in Namibia. I've hunted Africa several times over the years but I immediately started thinking that it would be a great little trip for the wife and myself this season. Now, I am an extremely honest hunter as I am sure this outfitter is...but after this NAPHA business, I just won't be visiting Namibia. The reality is that I can painlessly afford a $15,000 hunt but I can't remotely afford a minor PH slip up combined with "big brother" deciding I or the wife should have "known better" thus yielding a felony beef in the US. I don't need that kind of potential trouble as unlikely as it might be. I am simply too reluctant to place my own welfare in the hands of some professional organization that apparently has so many of its own people "off the reservation" that it must target me. I'm off to Zim. or RSA this year.

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 404WJJeffery:
FYI All:

Diethelm Metzger wrote me via email today and said they will "post a clarification on the board by Friday!"

Hmmmmmmm......

Well it is Friday at 5:22 PM in Namibia.

coffee

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
John, have a look here:

http://www.africahunting.com/h...a-press-release.html

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
quote:
Originally posted by 404WJJeffery:
FYI All:

Hmmmmmmm......

Well it is Friday at 5:22 PM in Namibia.

coffee

Johnhunt just posted the update.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just require the hunting PH to present the papers for export and the trophies in person at the appropriate office the day before the client leaves the country. With the client in tow. The notion that they will have to lie to government officials in person may cure the entire problem.

Rich
fix it!

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
I still would be a hell of a lot more comfortable if the author of the original draft and all on the board that approved it were canned.

Gpopper

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The entire NAPHA board must be replaced by a true vote of NAPHA membership to restore credibility to Namibia hunting. The NAPHA act was willful and heinous and intended to uterly destroy the life of an American citizen. It was the threat of a despot. Remember this, a leopard does not change its spots....Replace the NAPHA board immediately!

posted Hide Post
We have been following the threads involving the unfortunate and ill considered NAPHA policy statement. We are dismayed by the wording in the statement, but we also believe that the extreme sentiments and aggressive words in the statement were born of an honest desire to combat very real dangers that threaten game conservation in Namibia , as elseywhere. Namibia takes their position as stewards of this resource very seriously, and they have seen this resource abused in recent months. In a desperation move they have unwittingly and unintentionally offended the very hunters for whom they have worked to provide exceptional hunting.

Without question, the original policy statement is offensive. But also without doubt, the calmer heads within the administration, both of NAPHA and of the country, have stepped forward to attempt to explain, to apologize and to rectify the damage done in the hunting community.

In Namibia we hunted with Joof and Marina Lamprecht's Hunters Namibia Safaris. We were immensely impressed and moved by the sincerity and commitment of the Lamprechts, their family, their staff and many of the people with whom they interact constantly on a government level, to assure that the quality and quantity of the game and the availability and suitability of the habitat remain among the finest available in Africa. They have spent countless hours in meetings, on committees and, working on the land to fulfill what they see as their duty to their beloved county and the amazing number of species that live there. They have sometimes placed themselves in physical danger to combat poachers and illegal hunting operations. They are dedicated to the welfare both of the game species and the hunters who legally pursue them.

We are deeply troubled by the reaction of some forum members, who seem determined to punish the country of Namibia and the many fine individuals who provide exceptional support for hunters in their country. Anger is understandable; an attitude of resentful retribution is hardly better than the words that have occasioned it.

Rather than depriving Namibia and the fine hunting operations there of our dollars and our support, we might recall words that we have spoken in the past that others found offensive or "threatening", and now accept the sincerely offered apology offered by NAPHA. Namibia, and the game species that depend on hunting for survival, need us more now than ever before. Who are we to react to misspoken words with arrogant and punitive actions of our own, and what good can that possibly do?

Tom and Linda Worthington
Cascade, MD

Posts: 3 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom and Linda

Well Said

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
The entire NAPHA board must be replaced by a true vote of NAPHA membership to restore credibility to Namibia hunting. The NAPHA act was willful and heinous and intended to uterly destroy the life of an American citizen. It was the threat of a despot. Remember this, a leopard does not change its spots....Replace the NAPHA board immediately!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom & Linda,

how nice for the two of you.

NAPHA has not disavowed the intent to notify US
authorities RE the Lacey Act.

The two of you might not look so nice in a prison somewhere with your assets seized under the RICO Act, which could also be used. That is the "stick" being used.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
The first time I was able to attend the DSC show 3 years ago I met several very nice couples from Namibia. I really liked them and had made up my mind that Namibia would be my first international destination. I have no desire to punish the nation of Namibia or the good people I have met. The ones who have punished Namibia and the good operations there are the jackasses on NAPHA's board who put out that stupid statement. Those people have to be replaced by NAPHA members before I would consider going to Namibia.

Gpopper

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbanger:
The first time I was able to attend the DSC show 3 years ago I met several very nice couples from Namibia. I really liked them and had made up my mind that Namibia would be my first international destination. I have no desire to punish the nation of Namibia or the good people I have met. The ones who have punished Namibia and the good operations there are the jackasses on NAPHA's board who put out that stupid statement. Those people have to be replaced by NAPHA members before I would consider going to Namibia.

Agreed! Make the names of those NAPHA members who conducted the plot public.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Extreme words and attitudes? You bet! In light of the NAPHA statement I decided to put my money elsewhere. Apparently a lot of other folks reacted to this the same way. It would appear someone at NAPHA took note after getting all the negative feedback. They issued the new press release and explained some of it. They still have a long way to go. I dont see where they have changed their bias or program. It is obvious they are worred about the financial impact after this blow up. They have alienated many of us who would have supported them had this been approached differently. The only way I can make my voice heard is by witholding my buisness. Someone else making excuses for this said there was a language problem. They dont need a translator for this. No change in attiude or policy means no dollars! I only hunt with NAPHA members when in Namibia. I support them trying to reign things in and protect the hunting heritage. I do not however appreciate the bias or having a target on my forehead. Someone has to answer for this. There needs to be a change in management. As in any buisness when someone screws up this big heads will roll.

Happiness is a warm gun