Find
Notify
Tools

Second Lion of the Season
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen
Last month, as many of you may recall, I posted with much pride a photo of a lion I took in Tanzania. Since the cat lacked a bit of length between tail and snout, showed a touch of pink around the nose, and in certain light a 'hint of spots', I was prepared to catch some flack , especially in these highly charged times where lion are concerned. Yet many of the various responses I saw on AR left me shattered.
After much reflection, and encouragement from some of you , I decided to re-book another 21 days in Tanzania in attempt to take a " more mature" lion. I gave my good friend Aaron Neilson a call, and after describing the type of lion I was after, and hearing his response that his area held the kind of cat I wanted , book the safari with his outfit. I wanted to hunt with Aaron personally, but he was already committed to 21 days in April for bongo and Derby eland in CAR. Having done that hunt myself in April, I was jealous thinking of him enjoying the cold, crisp CAR mornings and the pleasant strolls after eland in the afternoon that reminded me of hunting cottontail rabbits in the October woods. Oh well, it was off to steamy Tanzania for me while Aaron enjoyed springtime in Central Africa.
On this safari I told my PH, no more small lions, and the nose better be blacker than Obama's daddy ! Size of the cat was also important to me, as I wanted no more mistakes. Even Boddington told me the reputation of our brand was riding on this hunt, and I should hold out for a big one rather than return with another small lion. I hunted and passed 6 males in Aaron's area. Several tempted me, and on one you could hardly see the spots at all, but with Craig's words ringing in my ear, I continued to hold out for something bigger.
Finally, on day 19 we found a track, and the look on my PH's face said it all-WE HAD FOUND MY LION ! A keeper for sure. After a hair raising stalk in thick bush, we found the old boy in a nasty bit of cover. Across 20 yards of Tanzania real estate we eyed each other, and one glance was all I needed. The rest is history. My Searcy bellowed twice, and the king was dead. I believe I will have The Wildlife Gallery mount him lifesize. I hope that my attempt to rectify my earlier mistake will wipe the smear of shame from my good name, and my AR brothers will share my pride in taking the kind of lion I always dreamed of.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow, it sure is getting deep here. Since when do lions grow more than a ton?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Nice one Dave! animal rotflmo tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo Man, if I knew we had one that big, I can assure, Dave would have never seen it!!! For I would have shot him long ago.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh Crap, Dave, I just spit coffee all over my keyboard, laughing too hard.

Man, I love your sense of humor.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have never met. Are you more than 3 feet tall?

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
That is a monster. tu2

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your lion is big enough to take down Walter's cape buffalo!

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That full body mount is going to cost you some bling

Good one

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blanco county:
Your lion is big enough to take down Walter's cape buffalo!

Whad-ya-meen? It et tree buffs at a sitting!!

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three like the one at the top of your screen?

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Your photoshop skills are coming along as is your story telling.

Next we need a full hunt report.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Man I wasn't expecting that, too funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Dave..I think this one is a keeper!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Dave, knowing that you are 6'5" and 275 lbs of solid muscle, I would have to say that is a big cat!!!! I'll get the form ordered for the upcoming mount. We'll use a 10' brown bear form and cut it all up until it looks like a lion. We will also ensure that we paint the nose solid black... rotflmo

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan, I'v been on the Atkins diet, am down to 262 pounds . I just sent Brock Lesner a new suit that may fit him now that I'v lost the weight.

Dave Fulson

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
That's more like it Dave. Now you can hold your head up high. I see you chose a manly caliber and left that puny .577 at home, another good choice if I say so myself. To avoid any bias, I will be glad to score your trophy, as we wouldn't want any suspicion as to its final measurements. Do I see a platinum ring in your future? Congrats on taking a mature Lion! All the best, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOU DA MAN,

Thanks for having a sense of humor in a hard place. I would enjoy meeting youn around a campfire.

tu2

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had you waited another season, he would have gotten even bigger and mane would have closed between the ears. Barely acceptable lion in this day and age ............

coffee

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Dave - I am very happy to see that you have used one of our Lions as your example of a proper Lion trophy!! Wish you would have gotten the outfitter and area correct though Wink

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
Dan, I'v been on the Atkins diet, am down to 262 pounds . I just sent Brock Lesner a new suit that may fit him now that I'v lost the weight.

With that tall tale I would have said the "Atkinson" diet.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam
Your giving away all my trade secrets ! LOL Just jabbing Aaron a little. Cheers

Dave Fulson

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Fabulous cat! What caliber did you use? I bet a big one! Were you scared? I sure would have been! That is a really big cat and I bet you are really proud to have taken The KING of King of Beasts! Good Job! Wink

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe it - you're "Lion"!!! lol

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
tu2 animal

Good one Dave!!! And you've also confirmed my issue with having posted trophy pics photoshopped!!! shame Wink

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Dave I guess you better get an addition to the trophy room for that.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I have my boots on that much BS could ruin your feet!!!!!!!! thanks for the laugh DAVE

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Decent lion Dave, but I am ashamed to be associated with the likes of you. Don't you know that one lion is enough for any man, and two in a single year is just pure gluttony?

Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
How long you gonna let that picture stay on here before you pull it???

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I bet you;d get some peta freaks foaming at the mouth about that is you said it was the "Rare giant forest lion"

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
That is what I was thinking. I mean how many Giant Forest Lions are there in Africa? How hard is it to poach a monster like that? I bet hyenas don't jack with them.

I bet PETA and the HSUS will have a field day with this, what is the annual quota on a bad boy like that one?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave.

In addition to your improved discipline and judgment skills your ability to catch the moment in word is with out equal. Your modesty is apparent as we notice the frontal shot evidenced by the gore on front of main, no doubt taken whilst animal was in full charge. Judging by the height of the animal your upward shot to the spine was very thoughtful thus eliminating additional skull repair work for Wildlife Gallery. So considerate in the moment when some less thoughtful person would have made a brain shot. It appears that your SAAM training has honed your judgment, shooting skills and confidence to Legend Status in your own lifetime.

In your April posting you seemed for some reason not to mention the perfectly placed shot, dead center between the base of tail and snout.

Did you notice the significance of the main hair standing on end? No doubt this animal chose his way to die but in the end realized the mistake as evidenced by the standing main of fright.

Dave ,more stories to come? rotflmo

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dave can we back up to April 1st.

Mike animal

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Dave,

When do I get back my 106MM Recoilless you borrowed ??
Big Grin

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna send this out in an email and see how fast it makes it back to me...

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I shot that lion's second cousin.

He had sabre teeth, and I killed him in Pellucidar! Cool Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never would have been possible without that quality belt Dave's wearing!!! tu2

(ok, so it's my turn for some shameless self promotion) shocker

JW

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Dave, you are having way too much fun hunting (and posting). Jeff, I agree on the Texas Hunt Co. stuff. I have used belt, ammo holder, and gaiters on two hunts-very good stuff.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote