New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rate for Non-trophy Lion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any ball park figures for a non-trophy hunt for lion?

I would kind of like to hunt a lion, but think they make rather ugly trophies (JMO).

Male or female wouldn't be a deal breaker, as long as it wasn't a penned animal set free.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Lions in the Buybe conservancy might be going cheap?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:

I would kind of like to hunt a lion, but think they make rather ugly trophies (JMO).

Male or female wouldn't be a deal breaker, as long as it wasn't a penned animal set free.

BH63

I would check Burkina Faso or Benin for a good rate non caged lion.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Check with Shaun Buffee, John Sharp or Martin Nel for Bubye lions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

BH63

One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Bubye valley conservancy lions are not cheap that I know, west africa is the best chance at a low price in a lion hunt mainly burkina faso and benin, not sure about cameroon but might be lower because they are not as requested as in other parts of africa.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:

BH63

BH63,

While I am very much, "To each his own," if you find a Lion mount to be ugly, why would you want to hunt one?

In my opinion, it is one of just a few trophies that I consider to be "The Holy Grail" of trophies to be hunted anywhere on this planet.

A Lion, hunted and not mounted, I would consider a catastrophe. The respect I hold for this creature is beyond measurable, you seem to "just think it might be cool to go kill one."

Again, to each his own.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3529 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

BH63

BH63,

While I am very much, "To each his own," if you find a Lion mount to be ugly, why would you want to hunt one?

In my opinion, it is one of just a few trophies that I consider to be "The Holy Grail" of trophies to be hunted anywhere on this planet.

A Lion, hunted and not mounted, I would consider a catastrophe. The respect I hold for this creature is beyond measurable, you seem to "just think it might be cool to go kill one."

Again, to each his own.

Steve

I agree.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:

BH63

BH63,

Again, to each his own.

Steve

I agree.

To me, the big cats are where the "Hunt for the experience and just take pictures" argument goes pieces! They demand to be mounted, remembered and honored. YMMV

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
You have to acquire one for the Big 5.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as a non-trophy lion that is mature. They are all trophies.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:

BH63

BH63,

Again, to each his own.

Steve

I agree.

To me, the big cats are where the "Hunt for the experience and just take pictures" argument goes pieces! They demand to be mounted, remembered and honored. YMMV

True and your point is valid.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

BH63

BH63,

Again, to each his own.

Steve

Absolutely! Each to their own....
Taken two and have their bits here and there BUT the memory of the greatest hunts is what I consider the trophy.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I ask, What is a non trophy lion? And where are they offered?

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Taken two and have their bits here and there BUT the memory of the greatest hunts is what I consider the trophy.

I've only taken one, but I agree with ozhunter.

For myself, I find that the memory of the hunt is far more important than the trophy in most cases. Having a skull on the bookcase and a skin on the wall is no less a reminder of a great hunt than a full mount would be.

I know that most hunters love shoulder mounts and full mounts. I enjoy looking at others' trophies but the idea of having my own animals mounted feels too ostentatious.

To each, his own.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

I've only taken one, but I agree with ozhunter.

For myself, I find that the memory of the hunt is far more important than the trophy in most cases. Having a skull on the bookcase and a skin on the wall is no less a reminder of a great hunt than a full mount would be.

I know that most hunters love shoulder mounts and full mounts. I enjoy looking at others' trophies but the idea of having my own animals mounted feels too ostentatious.

To each, his own.....

+1, the trophy is the memory.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
+1 from me as well. I just did a non export lion hunt with my bow. I hired a camermaman to document the hunt and produce a dvd for my memories. Ive got a home full of taxidermy, i hunt for memories and experiences now.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
A Full maned Lion is one of the most Beautiful Trophies a man can acquire!!! Those are FEW and FAR between. To me it's about the Hunt and the memories.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think hunting a lion would be a very exciting and dangerous hunt. Killing a lion would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me, and would probably be the pinnacle of my hunting career.

However, I still think from an aesthetic viewpoint, they make ugly trophies. Whether full mount, or a rug, I just don't think they look good.

I used to live within a mile of Jonas Bros. Taxidermy, and I have seen as many as a dozen full-mount lions displayed together. Impressive, but not aesthetically pleasing to me.

That is a very subjective thing, of course.

I think a big moose would be an exciting hunt, but I have no desire to have one mounted.

I have little desire to hunt a bighorn sheep, but I think they make some of the nicest looking trophies of any animal.

When I say a trophy, I am referring to a mounted display of an animal, either a head, a shoulder mount, a full body mount, or a rug.

Not wanting to mount an animal because I think it makes an ugly trophy in no way diminishes the challenge or respect I have for the animal.

I think most people agree that hunting an elephant is one of the greatest hunts of all time, but most people only want to display the tusks or an ear, because a shoulder mount of an elephant would be considered by most, as rather ugly.

Cheers.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the african lion is a very difficult taxidermy job to make it look natural.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BH63,

Maybe I missed it but what do you consider a non-trophy lion? Non-trophy to me means a mature animal but something that will never meet some standard to make it a trophy. In the case of the lion I don't see how this applies. If you're just looking for a cheap lion but not an RSA captive bred lion there might be some export permits issued at sometime in the future from Zim for lioness. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one though. Additionally it may or may not ever be importable to the US.

mARK

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think hunting a lion would be a very exciting and dangerous hunt. Killing a lion would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me, and would probably be the pinnacle of my hunting career.

However, I still think from an aesthetic viewpoint, they make ugly trophies. Whether full mount, or a rug, I just don't think they look good.

I used to live within a mile of Jonas Bros. Taxidermy, and I have seen as many as a dozen full-mount lions displayed together. Impressive, but not aesthetically pleasing to me.

That is a very subjective thing, of course.

I think a big moose would be an exciting hunt, but I have no desire to have one mounted.

I have little desire to hunt a bighorn sheep, but I think they make some of the nicest looking trophies of any animal.

When I say a trophy, I am referring to a mounted display of an animal, either a head, a shoulder mount, a full body mount, or a rug.

Not wanting to mount an animal because I think it makes an ugly trophy in no way diminishes the challenge or respect I have for the animal.

I think most people agree that hunting an elephant is one of the greatest hunts of all time, but most people only want to display the tusks or an ear, because a shoulder mount of an elephant would be considered by most, as rather ugly.

Cheers.

BH63

Is it safe to assume you want to "check the box" LION....?

An Elephant shoulder mount, ugly?

I would assume a Rhino is ugly as well?

How about Leopards?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3529 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the saying goes. Sure, lions are not as beautiful as leopards. Guess what gets the most attention in my trophy room? Lions every single time.

I will admit to killing 3 lions that I did not mount. All cattle killers. Shot in the same night.

All the rest, I mounted every single one of them. Same with leopards.

I would have a real hard time going on a lion hunt and not mounting the lion. I didn't really consider the cattle killers a lion hunt. I had no idea I was going to do it when I left the US.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

That seems presumptuous of you. I'm guessing that he wants to have the experience of hunting a lion(which is beyond comparison IMO) but he doesn't want the mount.

quote:

How about Leopards?

Some of us(me) don't really find shoulder mounts or full mounts of any animal aesthetically pleasing. To each his own.

Why mount something if you don't want to look at the mount?

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as a non trophy fair chase hunted free range lion.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That seems presumptuous of you. I'm guessing that he wants to have the experience of hunting a lion(which is beyond comparison IMO) but he doesn't want the mount.

quote:

How about Leopards?

Some of us(me) don't really find shoulder mounts or full mounts of any animal aesthetically pleasing. To each his own.

Why mount something if you don't want to look at the mount?

Jason (and everyone else)

I knew when I challenged BH63 on this I would get this very reaction.

If you remember, I put up a thread (a pole) asking how many folks here though it to be OK with shooting stuff and simply taking its picture. A full 81% think its ok. I personally feel it to be a shallow act of selfishness. But, the results of my pole are what they are and I'm obviously the outlier on this. I feel there are more than will admit it, but internet forums being what they are, some are in fear of gambling their "forum popularity" to expose their true feelings. I frankly don't give a shit, I haven't met 99.999999% percent of the people on here. Those that I have met, I believe would say they believe me to be honest, reliable and focused on successful outdoor endeavors for all involved.

I'm fine with those who will call me presumptuous, pompous, elitist or whatever else. I am a man of principle. MY principles.

Is it only those of you whom disagree with me that get to have an opinion? Mine is as valid as is yours or anyone else. It is simply different.

For those that feel otherwise, thats up to them and I personally have no issue with them. I would pick up another "hobby" were it me. I value the life of animals, ALL animals considerably more than a few megapixels on a camera card. If I put enough value in it to take its life, "I want him forever"

I also feel that MANY people on AR and other hunting forums would NOT EVEN HUNT if they couldn't post pictures on a forum. I have discussed this with several guys who agree with my stance on this. We all came up with the conclusion that those that feel its OK to kill for a photo op are likely hunters that didn't start hunting until later in life. Myself, I grew up in a hunting family My earliest memories are of my father and I in the field. My values came from Pop. He was a hard man but drilled what he deemed important into me.

AS to killing something you think is ugly. Well why in the HELL would you want to shoot it? That is so completely counterintuitive and makes no sense. (to me)

We as sport hunters are a dying demographic, we are losing the battle of pubic opinion. Killing animals to simply put their photo on some website, for accolades isn't going to help us. Try to defend it. I'm a hunter and I can't see how. Conservation? sure but killing an animal like a Lion and not giving it the respect or dignity to mount it or some part of it?

And to answer your last question, Why kill something you find distasteful to look at?

Blaze away!! Big Grin

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Maybe a 2- 4 year old. sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Maybe a 2- 4 year old. sofa

You are right, Jim. I should have added an age qualifier tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the term "non-trophy" to mean an animal you hunt and shoot but don't export back to your country of origin to be mounted.

I will repeat, it in no way diminishes your respect for the animal or the hunt.

I have killed a lot of mule deer and elk in my life, but I have only mounted one of each. Does that mean I don't appreciate the other animals as much as the ones I mounted?? Of course not.

As for which animals I find too ugly to mount, that has nothing to do with their value as a game animal, but rather how I perceive their appearance.

And yes, I find a rhino mount exceedingly ugly, just as I find a wart hog exceedingly ugly.

I also find non-typical mounts of deer (no matter how large) to be extremely ugly. That is just my
subjective opinion.

Like they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

As for leopard, I think they make one of the most beautiful trophies around, but I would go for a rug, not a full mount. Just my preference.

I like my animal mounts to be aesthetically pleasing to me.

I don't get them to impress my friends with my prowess as a hunter, or to inflate my ego.

My most treasured hunting photos are the ones that show the PH and his crew posing with the animal. Not the ones that show me with the animal.

Apparently some forum members "get this" and others don't.

To each his own.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
AS to killing something you think is ugly. Well why in the HELL would you want to shoot it?
That is so completely counterintuitive and makes no sense. (to me)

And to answer your last question, Why kill something you find distasteful to look at?

So why kill something that you wouldn't want to eat?

I doubt that many hunters like to eat lion, leopard, or baboon meat, yet these are killed very frequently by hunters on safari.

So you only kill animals you think look attractive as a mount?

An animal's appearance has nothing to do with my desire to hunt it. It's the animals other qualities that make it a challenging and desirable quarry for me.

Actually killing something because you like the way it looks seems more bizarre to me!

A snow leopard is one of the most beautiful cats in the world, but I have absolutely no desire to kill one (even if legal).

But, like my Dad used to say "That's a difference between you and me."

Cheers,

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim does still offer PAC lion on occasion there were 3 cats near Lupane that were killing cattle in March that were on the block but it was a short notice deal and an Zim PH ended up doing the deed.

SAFARISEAN

Posts: 180 | Location: KC MO> | Registered: 31 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PAC animals are illegal in Zim.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you remember, I put up a thread (a pole) asking how many folks here though it to be OK with shooting stuff and simply taking its picture. A full 81% think its ok. I personally feel it to be a shallow act of selfishness. But, the results of my pole are what they are and I'm obviously the outlier on this. I feel there are more than will admit it, but internet forums being what they are, some are in fear of gambling their "forum popularity" to expose their true feelings. I frankly don't give a shit, I haven't met 99.999999% percent of the people on here. Those that I have met, I believe would say they believe me to be honest, reliable and focused on successful outdoor endeavors for all involved.

I'm fine with those who will call me presumptuous, pompous, elitist or whatever else. I am a man of principle. MY principles.

Is it only those of you whom disagree with me that get to have an opinion? Mine is as valid as is yours or anyone else. It is simply different.

For those that feel otherwise, thats up to them and I personally have no issue with them. I would pick up another "hobby" were it me. I value the life of animals, ALL animals considerably more than a few megapixels on a camera card. If I put enough value in it to take its life, "I want him forever"

I also feel that MANY people on AR and other hunting forums would NOT EVEN HUNT if they couldn't post pictures on a forum. I have discussed this with several guys who agree with my stance on this. We all came up with the conclusion that those that feel its OK to kill for a photo op are likely hunters that didn't start hunting until later in life. Myself, I grew up in a hunting family My earliest memories are of my father and I in the field. My values came from Pop. He was a hard man but drilled what he deemed important into me.

AS to killing something you think is ugly. Well why in the HELL would you want to shoot it? That is so completely counterintuitive and makes no sense. (to me)

We as sport hunters are a dying demographic, we are losing the battle of pubic opinion. Killing animals to simply put their photo on some website, for accolades isn't going to help us. Try to defend it. I'm a hunter and I can't see how. Conservation? sure but killing an animal like a Lion and not giving it the respect or dignity to mount it or some part of it?

Blaze away!! Big Grin

Steve

Steve, I think you took my comment as an attack. It was not. I simply believe that the "hunt" is more important than the trophy and I believe that quite a few others agree.

I do take issue with your idea that hunters who opt to only take photos are hurting sport hunting in the eyes of non-hunters.

If you believe that non-hunters find YOUR hunting more acceptable because you have a bunch of mounts you are mistaken. Most non-hunters seem to have very negative feelings about mounts. The average non-hunters sees mounts as a the hunter trying to glorify himself rather then the animal.

BTW, all of us are entitled to our own opinion. Just the same, all of our opinions are flawed to some extent because they are based on our emotions as much as they are based on fact(mine included).

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Blaze away!! Big Grin

Steve

Steve, I think you took my comment as an attack. It was not. I simply believe that the "hunt" is more important than the trophy and I believe that quite a few others agree.

I do take issue with your idea that hunters who opt to only take photos are hurting sport hunting in the eyes of non-hunters.

If you believe that non-hunters find YOUR hunting more acceptable because you have a bunch of mounts you are mistaken. Most non-hunters seem to have very negative feelings about mounts. The average non-hunters sees mounts as a the hunter trying to glorify himself rather then the animal.

BTW, all of us are entitled to our own opinion. Just the same, all of our opinions are flawed to some extent because they are based on our emotions as much as they are based on fact(mine included).

Jason,

You and I have always engaged in spirited debate. Frankly, I enjoy it. All of us just nodding in agreement doesn't enrich anyone or make us think about our positions. We become better suited to defend our positions as a result.

I'll say some things here that are going to be unpopular but they are glaring and the silence from elsewhere is deafening.

Hunting Africa and hunting the Big 5 specifically is expensive, extraordinarily expensive. There are no shortcuts, nor should there be. In todays "want it now" and "everyone gets a trophy mentality" many seem to think that they are somehow entitled to kill Lions and other iconic and treasured species.

To simply "want to go hunt one" doesn't do a species like a Lion justice. I see a Lion hunt as the pinnacle (a pinnacle) or the watershed moment of my African hunting endeavors.

To just want a picture? I personally don't buy the "I hunt for the experience bullshit." When did this become OK? We all try to quote the hunters of the formative years of our sport. What would they think?

Killing, just for the experience of killing rings hollow to me. Killing is in fact part of the whole deal for me as well, but its simply that, a part. The trophy is the rest of it.

Yes, I have a trophy room, yes, between my office, my trophy room and the cabin I'm building, EVERY animal I have ever shot, is mounted or will be mounted.

As I've aged, I kill less. I'm far more selective in my hunting than I was in my earlier years. But everything will be mounted, to some measure. I see no purpose in it otherwise. I
don't hunt for food.

BH63 asked if I would shoot an animal I didn't find visually appealing. No, I won't. Case in point, I hunted CAR a few years ago. I killed a Bongo, an LDE and most of the other stuff there.

I had Mike Fell as a PH. He really REALLY wanted me to kill a GFH. I wasn't excited about it, I find them rather goofy looking and didn't see it as a something I wanted in my room, so I didn't kill one.

Seeing one, yes, photos, yes. but killing one, no. The act of killing I get no particular thrill from, I value "life" far more than that.

I was fortunate enough to see a GFH's in the Bakos of CAR. I'm a richer person for it. The killing would not have enriched my being, one single bit.

Again, this is a discussion board and this is a discussion. No rights or wrongs, just different opinions and attitudes.

Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE] many seem to think that they are somehow entitled to kill Lions and other iconic and treasured species.

I see no purpose in it otherwise. I
don't hunt for food.

Regards,

Steve[/QUOTE]

Is there somewhere i can apply for the right to kill your iconic species? Just gotta make sure we keep the po' folk from shooting our lions.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve I live in a country where I cannot import lion or leopard. My interest in hunting came from reading Jim Corbett and John Hunter as a boy in the 1950's . According to you I should give up my dreams of hunting because some weasel in government decided they don't like me to hunt. Then you come along and would criticise me for hunting for memories. I plan to hunt leopard next year despite the views of the Australian government and you.

Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark smith:
Steve I live in a country where I cannot import lion or leopard. My interest in hunting came from reading Jim Corbett and John Hunter as a boy in the 1950's . According to you I should give up my dreams of hunting because some weasel in government decided they don't like me to hunt. Then you come along and would criticise me for hunting for memories. I plan to hunt leopard next year despite the views of the Australian government and you.

Mark

Your case is certainly not what my heartburn is, you have no option. The cases I am referring to, obviously have a choice in the matter. Would you leave the animal there if you were allowed to import it? My guess is no.

As to Hunting for Adventures response, I'm a bit confused. He seems to think that Lion hunting should be reduced so everyone who wishes to, can?

If he doesn't agree it's an expressive endeavor, maybe he should be the booking agent whom breaks through and finds Lions for the price of say, a buffalo hunt? 12-15K?

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SafariSean:
Zim does still offer PAC lion on occasion there were 3 cats near Lupane that were killing cattle in March that were on the block but it was a short notice deal and an Zim PH ended up doing the deed.

Good point!

I guess that is the crux of getting an economical lion hunt, you need to be there onsite (or able to get there within a day or so), in able to take advantage of problem animals.

Perhaps I should consider moving to Zim (wife wouldn't like that too much, I am afraid. LOL)??

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mark smith:

Mark

Your case is certainly not what my heartburn is, you have no option. The cases I am referring to, obviously have a choice in the matter. Would you leave the animal there if you were allowed to import it? My guess is no.

As to Hunting for Adventures response, I'm a bit confused. He seems to think that Lion hunting should be reduced so everyone who wishes to, can?

If he doesn't agree it's an expressive endeavor, maybe he should be the booking agent whom breaks through and finds Lions for the price of say, a buffalo hunt? 12-15K?

To be honest Steve, I don't see why you should have any "heartburn" at all because another hunter's viewpoint on African hunting and the mounting of trophies may be different than yours.

I don't see how it is any skin off your hide one way or another???

Personally, I would be happy for any hunter who managed to kill a lion in a fair chase hunt at a cut rate price.

Decades ago, I once hunted a lion for free in RSA when it escaped from Kruger and started killing game on a game farm. Due to other circumstances we weren't able to get the lion, but it was still an exciting (though short) hunt.

From some of your comments, it appears that you believe lions should be reserved for those worthy enough and wealthy enough to pay top dollar.

Not for us common folk "Let us hunt buffalo"!

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SafariSean:

While taking a cat as a PAC animals is not allowed the reclassification to trophy status offered as addition quota does happen. To finish my point the permits offered for direct tender are "short notice hunts" and can save a hunter $10-15K off the standard $50K plus fee. Zim does NOT have a CITES quota but does have a self imposed quota of 70 cats. ONLY Cheetah, Leopard, Croc and Ele export numbers are set by CITES. Lemko/Bubye while high fenced is a real hunt and John Sharp might have some insight as to a cheaper option there. Give him a call or email it may be worth your time.

SAFARISEAN

Posts: 180 | Location: KC MO> | Registered: 31 December 2011Reply With Quote