THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What if you don't want the trophies?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What if you don't want the trophies?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
Suppose you are planning a hunting trip to Africa but you don't want the trophies. You are not interested in adding anything to your wall. You know your survivors will be scratching their heads wondering what to do with them when you are gone. You consider it a waste of money to pay for the shipping, processing, and taxidermy of something you don't really want.

So, what if you don't want the trophies? Will the outfitter sell them to an eager soul who makes souvenirs for tourists? Is there a discount to the hunt? Will you be banned from the dark continent? Will the entire membership of AR put you on ignore?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier,

People do come on safari, hunt and leave with only the pictures. If you can live with that your total cost of the hunt will be significantly less expensive. If your really not interested in the trophies but only in having the hunt a management and/or off season hunt might be of interest. They can be very affordable.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not brought back anything from my last four safaris , each of which included one or more of the Big 5 ....
Don't feel any worse off for it, got some great photos, seems to suffice at my age.

PH's have made use of some of them, and I am informed some adorn dining areas or lodges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, what if you don't want the trophies? Will the outfitter sell them to an eager soul who makes souvenirs for tourists? Is there a discount to the hunt? Will you be banned from the dark continent? Will the entire membership of AR put you on ignore?

Grenadier:

If you don't want your trophies you have confirmed disinterest, relinquished your intentions to possess and basically what becomes of them.

At this point the outfitter is "lumbered" with them and IMO would be free to dispose of them as he sees fit; whether he chooses to sell, give away, or disperse in the bush for the weevils to feast on is his decision.

If this is your choice or intention why should the outfitter give a discount on an animal that has a set value; whether it ends up dead and on a wall or in the dustbin? coffee

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good way to increase your hunting to me. I don't know if I could do it though on something I really waited a long time to hunt and it was a 'biggun'.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
You get a discount.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the burden that goes along with anything hunting related.I wonder if they would allow one to decorate the funeral home with the mounts when I die?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if they would allow one to decorate the funeral home with the mounts when I die?

Sure, just let us know where that cow buffalo's skull is and we'll decorate the parlor for you...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Suppose you are planning a hunting trip to Africa but you don't want the trophies. You are not interested in adding anything to your wall. You know your survivors will be scratching their heads wondering what to do with them when you are gone. You consider it a waste of money to pay for the shipping, processing, and taxidermy of something you don't really want.

I am in the exact same boat. Taxidermy does nothing for me - i like seeing it at other peoples houses, museums, taxidermy shows and shops and bars. But i really don't like it in my house. Only stuff i like is europeans to put around the pool and buffalo horns made into a table top display.

I have left a fair bit of stuff behind in botswana at kanana - maybe i bring in some european mounts. I do have a lion being fully mounted - social pressure maybe but i think for the lion i owed it to him to be fully mounted. I will put him in my home office with my waterbuck and impala shoulder mounts - i rarely use the room and i think the trophies have something to do with it. The taxidermy is so life like.

A discount for not bring trophies would be great - i really don't care about trophy size and i don't get peoples fascination with it.

I rather have anton's pictures on my wall than dead animals.

Less trophies and taxidermy simply means money for hunting Cool

Too each their own choices. Now I will get banned from the taxidermy thread (which i actually like to check out)

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier,

Many of my clients feel the same way as you mentioned...I'm doing alot more TrophyShot Print Showpieces instead...I believe it will be MORE OF A TREND into that direction in the years to come tu2

The way many of them see it was... What are my wife and/or grown kids going to do with ALL these mounts ($$$$$$/??????)....Exorbitant shipping rates from Africa are ever on the increase and then the taxidermy costs here in the US.

Tens of thousands of dollars INVESTED going DOWN THE DRAIN in an instant. Frowner

They rather SAVE those HUGE sums of money and invest on several high-quality LARGE Custom TrophyShot Print Showpieces instead for a tiny fraction of the cost!

The money saved they put forth to enjoy a lot more hunting and/or vacation travel, etc.

Cheers!

Roland

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only brought pictures back from my last hunt.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
It's your hunt. Do what you want to do! I have some excellent trophies that I have left behind in Africa. Sometimes I wish I had them, but, like others have said, it increases your hunting budget, or allows you to do more with your budget.

Trophies are nice to have, but photos and memories will suffice.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
I agree. If you want to leave your trophies behind and get to hunt more , good for you. That's your choice.
I have had a hunter do that actually.
Depending on species , the trophies are certainly worth something , and your outfitter might work out a deal with a taxidermist or such who will buy them off you which would obviously discount your hunt some.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As stated it's your hunt and your animals so the decision lies with you, only thing to remember is that you will be liable for Vat of 14% on all trophies if hunted in South Africa,

Trophies are only exempt from this if they are exported.

JK

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I have never regretted leaving the hides and skulls over there. I have a wall of OUTSTANDING large photos that I can enjoy and share with friends. With budget issues being a major concern for me, I can hunt a lot more with the savings on dip/pack/ship/taxidermy. It works for me and I am regret free!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
It's your hunt. Do what you want to do! I have some excellent trophies that I have left behind in Africa. Sometimes I wish I had them, but, like others have said, it increases your hunting budget, or allows you to do more with your budget.

Trophies are nice to have, but photos and memories will suffice.

Shame Shame shame

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I have not taken the trophies from my last seven safaris. This included a LD eland and lots of other animals. A tough decision, but why spend thousands on shipping and taxidermy and then wonder what to do with it.
Also, sometimes the outfitter will let you shoot "cull" animals at much reduced prices.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dunno but why kill an animal if no use is to be made of it, i know the meat is eaten, but there is so much more

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i dunno but why kill an animal if no use is to be made of it, i know the meat is eaten, but there is so much more

That's simple, I enjoy hunting, especially Africa, and have a house full of taxidermy and no place left to display more. For me pictures will suffice. I think a lot also depends upon the depth of your pockets. The thousands of $$ you save on shipping and taxidermy go a long way towards paying for that next hunt.

I've been told by several PH's that they see more clients leaving their trophies in Africa due to the previously mentioned high costs. This seems to be especially so on plains game hunts. I've left two Cape Buffalo in Africa and my 3 elephants have all been non exportable bulls. No regrets on my part, although I do admit to wishing I had a nice pair of elephant tusks to bracket my fireplace. Unfortunately, my pockets aren't deep enough to spring for a trophy bull elephant hunt.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
In my limited experience the savings is considerable: In Zim if you're not taking the trophies you save the 4% gov't levy, the skinning. prep, dip and pack fees--both the PH and the taxidermy company, no paperwork, no vet fees, and no freight home. My last two hunts I left all in Africa and Australia. I stopped bringing a tape measure many years ago and no only take a photo or two. I've deposed of all of my taxidermy as I have no appreciation for it as artwork or memories or whatever (and most of the African mounts were junk anyway). This works for me and may not work for others. Bottom line is it is your hunt and do what you wish!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I wonder if they would allow one to decorate the funeral home with the mounts when I die?

Sure, just let us know where that cow buffalo's skull is and we'll decorate the parlor for you...

Now, Jorge, that was funny!

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
In many cases the PH would be happy for the donation!!!! Read your brochure/literature. You will likely find that there is already language in them that says in detail what you are not obligated to do. You can't keep the meat anyway, so if the hunt is most important to you, let them offer a freebee or whatever, but that's not part of "the deal".

I've left skins, etc. for the safari companies benefit, and they've reciprocated with the offer to supply skins in case of loss. Keep it friendly.

2 cents

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have so much stuff that I only get mounted extraordinary things or things I have never taken before .

I have brought the skulls home. Some were given away. Others are hanging outside at my hunting camp.

I have left the skins in Africa.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I love taxidermy, and if I had the funds, I would have a huge room or two, and do a lot of taxidermy. I do not have that kind of $.

From now on, if it is not something very special/exceptional/long awaited, I will be leaving trophies in Africa. I have left a bunch of PG over there in the past, I have never brought anything home from Argentina, I don't plan to bring buffs home from Australia this year, I gave my outfitter my last AK moose, etc. I am planning on taking a big group on a PG hunt next year. I will not bring anything home. I just don't have room, and I want to save the money. Each time I send stuff home from Africa, I could buy 1 to 1.5 air tickets back over.

That being said, I can't imagine leaving a lion or leopard, a big set of tusks(unless it was a legal issue), or something like a bongo. We each have our feelings on this and no one is wrong.

Roland's photos make great trophies on the wall, and bring back a lot of good memories.

I don't think it is disrespecting the animal if you don't bring it home and mount it. I think you respect it in the hunt and the way you treat it after while taking photos, etc.

Again, I wish I had a 10,000 sq foot trophy room and could fill it up, but that one isn't in the cards Cool.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Timely topic for me. I have a small house. Could spend $20-30,000 to expand but then I could use the same dollars to hunt and fish more. I am planning another trip to Africa. Plan on leaving trophies.
Also feel the shipping, packing, etc. fees are out of line, let alone the delays.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Posts: 6 | Location: Cody,WY | Registered: 30 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I fully expect to have my azz handed to me for this viewpoint, but here goes.

I see hunting, whether Africa, NA, Asia or Europe as a process, a circle if you will. Without sending home the trophies, to me, the process is somehow incomplete. The circle isn't full.

I would almost define a sportsman who has no desire to bring home some, or all of his trophies more as someone who just enjoys killing.

That's fine, just not how I view it. A hunting trip is an extension of who I am, how I was raised and even my world view of things.

I believe there is almost an implied responsibility to complete the circle, not just end the life and snap a few pics. so I can afford to go kill more stuff.

My trophy room defines who I am and how I've lived my life.

My opinion.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you build a dedicated trophy room african taxidermy will overwhelm ones house. These animals are damn big - I just went and measured the waterbuck I have shoulder mounted - it is 31 inches by 20 inches by 55 inches. It dominates the home office.

You need ceilings that are at least 12-18 ft - i have 9 ft ceilings - just not designed for taxidermy. For me its a lot more fun to look at taxidermy outside my home.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Unless you build a dedicated trophy room african taxidermy will overwhelm ones house. These animals are damn big - I just went and measured the waterbuck I have shoulder mounted - it is 31 inches by 20 inches by 55 inches. It dominates the home office.

You need ceilings that are at least 12-18 ft - i have 9 ft ceilings - just not designed for taxidermy. For me its a lot more fun to look at taxidermy outside my home.

Mike

Try a full mount Lord Derby Eland. That some square footage right there. But, being true to my own beliefs, I only felt it proper to full mount such a magnificent beast.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

Mike

Try a full mount Lord Derby Eland. That some square footage right there. But, being true to my own beliefs, I only felt it proper to full mount such a magnificent beast.

Steve

A Lord Derby eland is on my bucket list. And a lord derby deserves a full mount as does a lion.

The problem is not the cost of a lord derby eland hunt - but the additional house I would have to buy to store the trophy.

I actually like full mounted animals - used to go regularly to the Natural History Museum to see the african display when I lived in and now when I visit NYC.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Steve

A Lord Derby eland is on my bucket list. And a lord derby deserves a full mount as does a lion.

The problem is not the cost of a lord derby eland hunt - but the additional house I would have to buy to store the trophy.

I actually like full mounted animals - used to go regularly to the Natural History Museum to see the african display when I lived in and now when I visit NYC.

Mike

Nice!

All my spiral horns are full mount. They are truly that spectacular to me. I have no issues with others not mounting, euro mounting or only photo's, just for me, the hunt isn't over till the last trophy is on the wall or on the floor as it were.

I personally, will and have forego hunts in place of adding taxidermy, or square footage to put it.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Steve

Mike

Nice!

All my spiral horns are full mount. They are truly that spectacular to me. I have no issues with others not mounting, euro mounting or only photo's, just for me, the hunt isn't over till the last trophy is on the wall or on the floor as it were.

I personally, will and have forego hunts in place of adding taxidermy, or square footage to put it.

Steve

Staring at that makes me hungry!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Steve

Mike

Nice!

Steve

Amazing mount.

Steve you should stand next to it to give people an idea of how big the trophy is.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting points, including Steve's. I kinda agree with the circle deal and I am lucky I have high ceilings but I wish it was not so much pain to get them back. I am bringing 7 back as we speak and just the taxidermy is a whole hunt.

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Say on a buff plainsgame type hunt what do you guess the savings to be? Throw in a tuskless?

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
In my limited experience the savings is considerable: In Zim if you're not taking the trophies you save the 4% gov't levy, the skinning. prep, dip and pack fees--both the PH and the taxidermy company, no paperwork, no vet fees, and no freight home. My last two hunts I left all in Africa and Australia. I stopped bringing a tape measure many years ago and no only take a photo or two. I've deposed of all of my taxidermy as I have no appreciation for it as artwork or memories or whatever (and most of the African mounts were junk anyway). This works for me and may not work for others. Bottom line is it is your hunt and do what you wish!
Cal

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. I wasn't thinking and only got the shoulder of my really nice Nyala. May have to rethink that....

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Steve

Mike

Nice!

Steve

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously its a personal opinion and that's fine to each there own. I just can't imagine not mounting some of the more key species Sable, Sitatunga, Roan, Bongo, LDE, Mountain Nayla and maybe a buffalo or at least a good one. Then again if your simply hunting ordinary plainsgame maybe not because it is definitely true about the cost associated with mounts and another hunt paid for!! On second thought once you get over there and see the animals live and in person... might have a different perspective?

At the very least tell your story, show some pics and really enjoy the beauty that is African hunting!!!

Good luck tu2

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel very, very fortunate to have experienced some of the things I have, and hunted the magnificent creatures in some absolutely fantastic places.

I took this picture in CAR. I will cherish this photograph for the balance of my life. When I see my mount, I see this picture, when I see this picture I see my mount. Either one sends me back to that day in January when my life changed.

To not have this mount, mounted like it is, would have been a huge disappointment. Taking another hunt, to not mount this LDE would be a travesty.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who did the taxidermy Steve?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Who did the taxidermy Steve?

Jim Hartsock, Southwest Wildlife Art.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best thread here in a long time. What to do when your walls are full of mounts, and a large shop full of the ones that did not fit. Anything I hang up now is mostly European style mounts.

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote