New
Find
Notify
Tools

a most remarkable little antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I believe it was in the middle of the year 2000 when we were in zambia. It was along the river, the northernmost camp. Our PH was stewart finlay cooper, perhaps the best PH we have ever been with. It was a lion/buff hunt for 18 days. We shot killed buff. hippo and numerous other smallere animals in baiting for the lion. Our area was quite large, demanding trips of 50k or more just checking the furthest baits. The night music provided by the lions zebra and hippos had provided music to sleep by. But on to the most memorable part. Puku abounded in the area . for those who have not seen them they are a small impala sized antelope with a soft orangish brwon hide that is very soft to the touch. Normally they are quite tame and will allow you to drive or even walk up very close to them. The horns remind one of reedbok.
In any case we were seeing them by the 100's. even having the opportunity to take pictures of a baby at arms length. There was however, one old male. He had acquired quite a harem and was quite protective of them. this old guy would lead his harem into the thick grass whenever we would pass. He was a magnificent old guy with horns much larger than anything we had seen. But every time we would approach, we and his harem would disappear. This was just unheard of with puku.
On this hunt my luggage was lets say misplaced. I was left to do the entire hunt with a 470 double and one box of ammo, procured in joberg. Now this was hardly the perfect rifle to hunt for this wise of antelope that wouldn't let up come within 200 yds.
It took 3 full days of sneaking around and hunting for an antelope, that normally could be taken within 15 minutes. Every time we would try to close the distance, he and his harem would disappear into the tall grass.
finally he made a mistake. He stopped to stare at us. Granted it was still 200 yds, but this was the first time he had stopped. Now came my moment of glory. a 200 yd shot offhand, without sticks on a little antelope, with a 470 double and open sights. He disappeared with the recoil of the shot, but i thought it had been good. We look for a short time and found him with this large hole through the chest.
Perhaps this story is a bit long, but he has remained one of my most honored opponents. The 17" horns on his head have held a place of honor in the game room, and his memory will live forever. It doesn't take a huge dangerous beast, sometimes it just takes one smarter than we are.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this , this is what hunting is all about. The essence....Butch

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yes a very good story - thanks. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2812 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Very nice story, thanks for sharing. Would it be possible to post a photo?

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most Excellent!!!!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed this, thanks!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

It's not always the glamour game that we remember most. Nice story.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good story.
In 2000 in Namibia we had hide and seek with Steinbok. The first one just evaporated and we gave up. The second one would be available one second and hidden the next. Finally after three hide and seeks I got him with my trusty 06.
Like you say....the little ones are sometimes way harder than the big or dangerous ones. I value him the same as any of the rest of what I have been fortunate to take. Of course all the girls and kids say, "Awww...he is so Cute!"

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote