New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back from Zim **PICS ADDED**
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Shannon and I made it back from Zim after a great wedding and hunt. We bumped into AR member Runas and his wife Steph at Afton Guest House and had dinner with them, they are a great couple and lots of fun. We also spent a night at the campfire in Zim with new AR member Richard Harland and his wife Brita, they had some amazing stories and it was our pleasure to spend a night in camp with them.

Shannon made a perfect shot on her buffalo taking out his lungs and all the plumbing at the top of the heart.

I made a not so perfect (horrible) shot on mine hitting him too high in the shoulder; and spent a day and a half tracking him until he crossed onto Mana Pools.

I did get a huge eland and grysbok, and a very nice impalla. I'll post some pictures later on today.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, looking forward to the story and photos!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I met Richard Harland for the first time at SCI this past January. He's truly a modern ledgend of African Hunting. I would love to share a campfire with him.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee
Great to hear you are back. Looking foward to your report, and again congrats on the wedding!
Michael

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you had a good trip. Sorry about your buff, though.

And congratulations!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Shannon & Lee

Welcome back and congratulations, looks like someone wants to go back for another buffalo soon Cool

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after talking to Richard Harland did you immediately start looking for a Mannlitcher 458. dancing Congrats on your hunt. sorry about the buff. Ca ca does occur with hunting tho!

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Wecome back and congrats !
Sorry to hear about the buff, just gives you another reason to come back for another.

Hope you guys had a super honeymoon and campfire with Richard Harland.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.

Here are a few pictures:

The Happy Couple

Shannon's Buffalo. Can you guess why we named him Ducky?

Impalla

Grysbock

Eland. I had to post two pictures of this guy.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice pictures.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The eland is awesome.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
great tuft and horns on the eland!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Lee, glad to see your post about your wedding and safari. I called Bill last evening, to see if he had heard anything from you.

You know that Shannon will never let you forget that SHE got her buffalo. Way to go Shannon. thumb

Lee, you did get a great looking Eland bull.

Looking forward to seeing y'all in Dallas.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both of you!!

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Lee and Shannon! That's a pig of an Eland Lee. Guessing he's at least 38"? How'd you like Victoria Falls?

Looking forward to your full report and more pictures. (Well, you can skip the report on your honeymoon night but pictures would be good!) Wink

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted Hide Post
i think shannon is by far your best trophy! jumping

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee,

I'm not sure but your wife may look happier in the pic with her buffalo than at the wedding. Congrats to you both on everything. The eland is real toad and I'm sure it will be one of your best ever trophies. I'm also very envious of the grysbok.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

Sweet! Many congratulations!! I think you landed yourself a good one there, after all, not all newly-weds spend their honeymoon on Safari... This lass has a sister, by any chance?? Wink

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice! I too have met and talked with Richard Harland. He reminds you of a well heeled college professor, and you would never know him to be the legend that he is from his appearance and demeanor.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
L Diddy,

Congrats to you and your lovely bride on the wedding and safari both!

She killed a fine old buff and that is a great looking eland, too!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did your bride shoot the buff in the horn? Congratulations to you both!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a great time. Love the eland.

What's the story on the duct taped buff? Did someone shoot the horn off?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Great looking eland.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,

Beautiful Bride, scenic ceremony, and yes a wonderful safari to boot!

BTW, great eland.

Best wishes for a wonderful life together.

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!!!!!

Shannon looks beautiful in her wedding dress. What an incredible place for a wedding, (and congratulations to Shannon on her buff).

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on all your trophies, especially the one in the white dress.

It ashame about your Buffalo, obviously your mind was on your wife not him. At least that would be my story. Good luck on your next hunt.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
Thanks for the responses.

Here are a few pictures:

The Happy Couple

Shannon's Buffalo. Can you guess why we named him Ducky?

It is quite evident, you picked well! Congratulations Hoss! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the kind comments!

The eland measures 40" on one horn and 40.5" on the other. I had no desire to shoot an eland as I got a great blue bull with Vaughan Fulton last year, but when I saw this guy I could not pass on him and I think my PH, Alan Shearing, would have hit me over the head with my shooting sticks had I not given it a go!

Shannon's buffalo measures 37", the grysbok 1.75" and the impalla 20.5"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the story on the buff's horn? In the picture it looks like it is held together with some electrical tape. Nice bull!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Sounds like you had a great time. Love the eland.

What's the story on the duct taped buff? Did someone shoot the horn off?

The horn has become quite a point (no pun intended) of contention here in the Hooker household.

Because I made such a mess of my buffalo, Shannon and Alan Shearing decided the only way to stop me moping around the camp was to ask me to back her up on her buffalo. I was shooting my 500 NE and Shannon had my Model 70 375 H&H. She shot her buff at about 25 yards and hit him perfectly in the lungs and top of the heart. The herd ran and he ran in a different direction. We went about 50 yards and he was standing under a tree about 60 yards away looking very sick. Shannon put another shot through his boiler room, and he got better in a hurry!! He ran around the tree and started to charge; I hit him between the eyes with my double at about 20 yards and he nosed into the ground. We were all very excited until I saw the horn laying off to the side of the buff. I said something like, "Oh my gosh, we shot off a horn!" to which Shannon responded, "WE!!!??? I know where all my shots went!"

If you look closely at the picture you can see my bullet hole close to his left eye; the horn was blown off when the bullet exited. You can also see Shannon's initial shot on his shoulder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back and congrats on the wedding and hunting. Too bad about your buffalo, but very nice eland. It was great running into y'all at the airport and from stories I guess your rifles finally made it.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. animal

I didn't know you were hunting with Alan. That explains why you met Richard as I knew he was headed that way. Sounds like some great campfire talk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
Welcome back and congrats on the wedding and hunting. Too bad about your buffalo, but very nice eland. It was great running into y'all at the airport and from stories I guess your rifles finally made it.

Thanks David, it was great meeting you also! My guns were also lost on the way home. I just got confirmation that United had finally located them and were sending them my way.

Alan said about 75% of their clients are showing up without guns this season. If we hadn't been staying in Vic Falls for 8 days before the hunt, we would have been in trouble.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
I feel your pain. animal

I didn't know you were hunting with Alan. That explains why you met Richard as I knew he was headed that way. Sounds like some great campfire talk.

Alan is still talking about your lever action elephant! I think he was very impressed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw shucks but that's nothing compared to having your new bride outshoot you and then blowing the horn off of HER buff. You are the one they will be talking about now. Smiler

PM to you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone! This is Shannon writing - yes, yes....Lee blew the heck off of my buff's horn...and I'll probably never ever let him forget that but I do have to be honest....although I practiced and practiced and pulled off a few "perfect shots", once that buffalo was mad - you would have thought he was 2 yrs. old and at least twice as big! And - well - yes - at that point - I sort of....froze. So - it is the perfect honeymoon story after all with Lee "saving the day" and my newlywed behind! Thanks so very much to Kathi Klimes for helping us to arrange the perfect trip! It was just perfect! I can't wait to go back - to hunt with Alan and such an awesome group of people! Lee and I have seperate hunts planned - so that I can get a buffalo home in one piece!! Thank you everyone for your kind words as well...I look forward to seeing lots of you in Dallas!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the family Shannon. Might do us good to have a little class and culture around here.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Lee and Shannon on your wedding and safari. Trophées magnifiques! Good hunting in the future, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Shannon & Lee very happy for you two....Shannon you look lovely in your gown...

Cheers and many happy years together!!! beer

Lee, that's damn fine shooting between the eyes at 20yds... thumb
Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Lee:

Your bride is a FOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote