THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    I viewed the Chinese's tourist body shortly after his killing by an ele in Bots.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I viewed the Chinese's tourist body shortly after his killing by an ele in Bots.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Everyone,

I am in the Ridgeway Guest house in Harare as I write this after finishing up a seven day tuskless hunt in Chewore South with Alan Shearing of CM Safaris.
The previous week I was at the Limpopo Horse Safaris on the Mashatu Game Reserve in the Tuli area of Botswana where the Chinese tourist was killed.
I was on my Sunday (May 4th) introductory ride when my guide got the message by radio that some Chinese guy had just been killed by an elephant nearby.
After putting the horses away and leaving for our tented camp by Landrover we were passed by a Botswana police truck with a distraught looking Chinese man in the back. The cop was asking for directions as all the dirt roads are mostly unmarked. He went on in front of us, but we soon came upon the scene.
This man's body was very close to the road. The story I got from the Botswana cop was the same one you have already read about, except with a few details missing. First, the five Chinese men were trespassing on a private game reserve. They did not have the permission of Mashatu to be there and they did not have a guide with them. They saw a group of elephants, stopped the open truck they had rented and walked closer to the breeding herd to get photos. One small to medium sized cow (judging by the holes in his body from her tusks)became agitated and charged the group.
Do you know the old joke about how you don't have to be faster than a lion, only faster than the guy next to you? Well, I can confirm that truism applies to elephants as well. The man who was killed was clearly the heaviest, slowest and most uncoordinated of the group. Apparently, when the cow charged they all took off running, but this guy was the slowest and also managed to trip and fall to the ground while trying to escape. He never got up again as she was on him in a heartbeat and tusked him five times and dragged his body back and forth in the dirt. He had one hole in his left thigh, a smaller jabbing hole on his stomach, another hole in on the bottom of his left rib cage, and the remaining two big gapping holes that killed him. It looked like one long thrust that started about five inches under his armpit and came out almost dead center in his chest.
I would say it was a humuliating death as she dragged him across the ground stripping his clothes away. His pants and underwear were down around his ankles and his shirt was pulled up over his head covering his face. His privates were fully exposed. When his body was taken away you could clearly see the troughs the cow dug with her tusks in the dirt underneath him.
I had my camera out to take some photos so I could post them here, but the Botswana cop wouldn't let me. I asked him three times, but he kept telling me no in an increasingly irritated manner. There were several cops there so I couldn't sneak a few either.
One other thing, he had a burned down cigarette butt pinched between his right hand index finger and thumb which of course is more proof that smoking kills.
It was a stupid way to die. The Mashatu guides were all down on the Chinese as being too cheap to spend any money for a proper game drive.
Viewing his body and then knowing I was to hunting tuskless a week later in the thick early season jesse added a real pucker factor to the rest of my trip.
I will file a seperate hunt report on it, but it did include one charging cow shot in self defence a five yards by Alan and myself.

Cheers,

Mike Core

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very informative, thanks. Tuli Block was my first African hunting experience, down by the "green greasy Limpopo River." Sorry to hear that is where the obscenely stupid death occurred. There is much to be said for dying well, which would be the opposite of this.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stupidity is shocking. Cost him his life.

One can never trust an elephant.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Thank you for posting this.

Very informative indeed.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68645 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible in every aspect imaginable Eeker

No respect/regard for tons of wild beasts...USE MUCH CAUTION ALWAYS Roll Eyes

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more I hear about this the less sorry I feel for this genetic dead end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Why my first rule of hunting or even visiting any place wild in africa with elephants - don't get touched by one.

Stupidity kills

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Why my first rule of hunting or even visiting any place wild in africa with elephants - don't get touched by one.

Stupidity kills

Mike

Back in the 90's, I took the (then ) wife to Zim. The area was absolutely incredible in those days. They had a high fenced area that was very well protected against poachers. it was largely for game viewing. There was a small number of juvenile elephants, perhaps 3/4's grown.

The wife thought it was great because they took her up to these elephants and she fed them peppermints. She loved it. Of course, I was a total ass in her eyes when I cautioned against further feedings.

The very next week, the very same elephant killed one of the ranger s assigned to guard it.

Never trust an elephant.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
and the winner of the 2014 Darwin Award is I.M. Fat

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Well, he wasn't a hunter and so he didn't know.
Shit happened and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
If you are not a hunter and watch NG and other animal loving shows, everyone one of us could have made the same mistake.
It probably happens more often and nobody gets hurt, but this time it did.
That being said, I can't say anything bad, they were just guys that didn't know...
None of us knows everything all the time...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 boarkiller

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Stupidity kills

Mike

Back in the 90's, I took the (then ) wife to Zim. The area was absolutely incredible in those days. They had a high fenced area that was very well protected against poachers. it was largely for game viewing. There was a small number of juvenile elephants, perhaps 3/4's grown.

The wife thought it was great because they took her up to these elephants and she fed them peppermints. She loved it. Of course, I was a total ass in her eyes when I cautioned against further feedings.

The very next week, the very same elephant killed one of the ranger s assigned to guard it.

Never trust an elephant.

Anything that out weighs one by a ratio of 25-30 times should be treated with utmost caution.

Many people also have this delusional view of elephants - big slow rigid stupid that is just plain wrong. Also tourist from asia might be conditioned to see elephants as docile cause the asian ones are much more docile and often seen in public/religious settings.

If there is a wild elephant anywhere near me - I want to be armed.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several yrs ago Sis took me to Estes Park on a golf course where a bunch of elk were feeding and laying around etc. Some of the bulls were bugling. Very interesting to me as a long time elk hunter to be able to watch them up close. Some less than 50 feet.

I watched quite a few really stupid people try to get up close enough to "pet" a couple. Signs all over the place to "stay a safe distance these are WILD animals".

It's almost shocking to watch how STUPID some folks are when it comes to wildlife.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6003 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RickCap
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Very sad and what a CF! Alan Shearing is a gentleman and scholar and truly a pleasure to hunt with. I hunted with him in 2012 and will be doing so again this August.

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate NY, USA | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is also poor judgement to wish to take photos of the body in order to post them here. I think the police officer was quite professional in not allowing it. I doubt a police officer would allow a person to take graphic photos in my country, and I would imagine it would be the same in yours.

But perhaps I have jumped to the wrong conclusion, and you wished to just photograph the tusk marks in the ground, which would be less offensive.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I see it more and more. Most folks have never been around big animals like horses and cows and don't realize how dangerous they can be. Now throw in the "wild" aspect and there is a whole new level of danger.
NatGeo isn't helping by portraying them as people either.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
I think it is also poor judgement to wish to take photos of the body in order to post them here. I think the police officer was quite professional in not allowing it. I doubt a police officer would allow a person to take graphic photos in my country, and I would imagine it would be the same in yours.

But perhaps I have jumped to the wrong conclusion, and you wished to just photograph the tusk marks in the ground, which would be less offensive.

The desire to take photos of the damage done to the human body by an elephant to post here among hunters, my be insensitive at the scene, but in the defense of Gun Core, they may help some here who seem to think elephants are not all that dangerous, and the pictures should be posted at all game viewing parks, for the greenies to see the results of the stupidity of approaching animals in those parks where these animals are even more dangerous than those in the hunting areas.

.................Just another view of the debate! coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair point, Mac.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had my camera out to take some photos so I could post them here, but the Botswana cop wouldn't let me. I asked him three times, but he kept telling me no in an increasingly irritated manner. There were several cops there so I couldn't sneak a few either

Ever heard about respect for the dead ?

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by donner:
quote:
I had my camera out to take some photos so I could post them here, but the Botswana cop wouldn't let me. I asked him three times, but he kept telling me no in an increasingly irritated manner. There were several cops there so I couldn't sneak a few either

+1000 tu2

Let's also remember his family & how they would feel if they saw such pictures of their loved one plastered all over the net!

Even the detail in the original report is unnecessary and in bloody bad taste. 2020

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Photos = not cool.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:

The desire to take photos of the damage done to the human body by an elephant to post here among hunters, my be insensitive at the scene, but in the defense of Gun Core, they may help some here who seem to think elephants are not all that dangerous, and the pictures should be posted at all game viewing parks, for the greenies to see the results of the stupidity of approaching animals in those parks where these animals are even more dangerous than those in the hunting areas.

.................Just another view of the debate! coffee

Sorry Mac, no can agree. I have seen more than my share of dead bodies and in this instance I do not see the point. Just needless gore that shows a lack of respect for the victim.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
This scene reminds me of the Dravidian in George Orwell's "Shooting an Elephant."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Showing the photos isn't going to make one say, "Gee, elephants are dangerous."

A few years ago a cop emailed to a friend a photo of Nikki Catsouras, a young woman who crashed Daddy's Porsche and was decapitated. The picture of her is all over the internet as a result of the cops complete lack of judgment. It ended up being emailed to the young lady's father, who then sued the police department but lost the case; courts ruled he had no right to privacy.

So I think the Bots cops got it right.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to be an EMT firefighter. If I caught you trying to take non authorized pictures of a dead body on my scene I would have kicked your stupid ass!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I asked him three times, but he kept telling me no in an increasingly irritated manner. There were several cops there so I couldn't sneak a few either.
One other thing, he had a burned down cigarette butt pinched between his right hand index finger and thumb which of course is more proof that smoking kills

After reading this comment, I doubt the intentions for taking a "pic(s)" were to educate us.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like to shoot my rifle and I like to kill and Africa is where you go to do that.

With a sig line like that I'm not surprised with such a distasteful post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
If you are not a hunter and watch NG and other animal loving shows, everyone one of us could have made the same mistake.
That being said, I can't say anything bad, they were just guys that didn't know...

I think you are right on. I have done plenty of very stupid things in my life and escaped injury or worse. I am in no position to ridicule the poor deceased in this case.

There, but for the grace of God, go I.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by donner:

I think that is the class taught right after respect for wild elephants.

Or maybe it is the other way round.

Anyway, I have much less respect for dead idiots than say your average dead.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I call it K.I.S.S...keep it simple stupid...A couple of bucks from the guys and they would have all walked away alive.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:
I would say it was a humuliating death as she dragged him across the ground stripping his clothes away. His pants and underwear were down around his ankles and his shirt was pulled up over his head covering his face. His privates were fully exposed.

maybe he was not there to take photos and he tripped over his pants.

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

100% Agree tu2

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

archer

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I used to be an EMT firefighter. If I caught you trying to take non authorized pictures of a dead body on my scene I would have kicked your stupid ass!

tu2

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clee:
quote:
I like to shoot my rifle and I like to kill and Africa is where you go to do that.

Honestly, the most disturbing post I have read in a while.

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lorefuma:
quote:
Originally posted by clee:
quote:

Honestly, the most disturbing post I have read in a while.

My sig line is a quote from Ernest Hemingway. You might have heard of him.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The heading: " I viewed the Chinese ...etc" says it all. Like it was a bank holiday event, and then get pissed off when he can't take photos?

I've seen a lot of crap things but would not ever think of posting pictures to "educate!"

Hate the illegality of anyone being in an unauthorized place, especially in a wildlife refuge, but no-one deserves the flippant "obit" handed down by Guns Core.

Absolutely distasteful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:

My sig line is a quote from Ernest Hemingway. You might have heard of him.

Mr.Hemingway is an alpha-male hero to many here on AR.

Anyone think that dead Chinese tourist was dumb?...well just consider

Ernest, his brother Leicaster and their father Clarence, -all three of them blew their own brains out with a firearm...now thats dumb!

Following family tradition, the actress-model and privileged life 42yo Margot Hemingway , took her own life, the day just before
the anniversary date of her grandfathers suicide.

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - E.Hemingway

btw- I bet if you slipped the cop a few $$ on the sly, he would have let you shutterbug away.
not that I would be much interested in seeing the images.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't need to see pictures. I've got a pretty good idea.

Posts: 10311 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sitting here looking at a rather small set of tusks that came from a bull who killed two people the night before I killed it. I got to see the aftermath of the encounter. I will never forget it.

I have mixed thoughts on the subject. I think what I saw many years ago definitely taught a lesson to me. It reinforced just how dangerous elephants are whether they being hunted of not.

I think the opinion on the pictures should be based upon intent. If the intent was to educate , IMHO, it is different than if the intent was to titillate.

Personally , I don't want to see them regardless of the intent.

I agree that I don't care for the Hemingway quote.