Notify
Tools

New World and New Decisions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Yea, an all in cost of $100k or more will dampen one’s enthusiasm!

CORRECT!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Cheaper if you get two on one hunt! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68589 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trophy lion hunts in Namibia are a fraction of these costs. In addition there are 8 open permits for exportable problem lions in the Kunene. These hunts generally range in the $10,000 to $15,000 per hunt. Still a lot of $$$ but the trophy fees are paid to the Community and the PH only takes the dangerous game per diem. MET is trying to thin the lion population in the area.

Predator control hunts on area farms are in the $5,000 range. Some have exportable tags, the rest are problem animal hunts. You only pay the per diem if you do not connect.

All of the above are MET sanctioned and permitted hunts.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:
IMO I do not think there is any comparison between African hunting or hunting in North America. Africa holds romance, history, variety of game, # number of game one can hunt; cull hunts, the guns, the books, the explorers, new places, new customs, new people, style of hunting, trackers, different foods, PH's, the lodging, the service, the lower cost (plains game)...

quote:
All being said, if flights fly, so will I.

Jim

That might be true, but an Alaskan hunt is just as much of an adventure if not more so.

Yea, most African hunting, esp plains game and buffalo, is 100 percent. If that is your thing, great. But I get more satisfaction from shooting a big moose, big bear, or big elk than I do most African game.

John...I've hunted Africa 36 times in 9 different countries, my greatest adventure ever was Polar Bear hunting the frozen north. Just to see a wild polar bear was absolutely incredible...not to mention the rest of it. tu2

That says something, knowing how many Lions you killed

I think my lion hunting days are over...but if I could do either just one more time, it would be the Polar Bear! Smiler

Aaron, just curious as to why you are finished with Lion...is it the cost, availability, etc or did you just lose the passion/thrill for it?

PS: I haven't hunted either one but I did see both in the Bronx ZooWink

Mainly the cost...really good wild lions hunts are still to be had, but at a pretty high price tag. After shooting 15 of them, I guess I'm just not mad enough at em anymore to fit that bill!!! Smiler

Aaron, I would say that at 15 Lion, you probably shot more than any client alive today...good for you.

I can't imagine anything topping a Lion hunt so that Polar Bear hunt must have been incredible

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Trophy lion hunts in Namibia are a fraction of these costs. In addition there are 8 open permits for exportable problem lions in the Kunene. These hunts generally range in the $10,000 to $15,000 per hunt. Still a lot of $$$ but the trophy fees are paid to the Community and the PH only takes the dangerous game per diem. MET is trying to thin the lion population in the area.

Predator control hunts on area farms are in the $5,000 range. Some have exportable tags, the rest are problem animal hunts. You only pay the per diem if you do not connect.

All of the above are MET sanctioned and permitted hunts.

Compared to $75K just in daily rates for a 18 day hunt before even trophy fees makes this a bargain. Something to explore for sure.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We all picked our obsession and went in with eyes wide open, so we can't really gripe now about how much things cost, IMO.

I was within an eyelash of writing a check for a 2021 non-trophy elephant hunt when this mess hit. My plan is to save up money and do a longer, "better" hunt when things get more back to normal. Maybe to a different place, certainly for a longer hunt. Who knows, maybe by then we will be back to importing elephant!

At any rate, I go to sleep at night dreaming of walking through the bush on the track of a good bull, so I'm headed back just as soon as I can, God willing and the creek don't rise.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I’ve enjoyed reading the discussions about African vs North American hunts. When I finished my first African hunt with Jan du Plessis back in 2012, I told him ....”Jan, this was NOT my greatest hunt of my life (dramatic pause). It was the SEVEN greatest hunts of my life”. I had shot 100% of my targeted animals, to include Kudu, Gemsbok (2), Warthog, Mountain Zebra Baboons and Jackel. As much as I’ve enjoyed hunting deer, elk, turkeys and other North American critters, there’s nothing like driving around in a Toyota Landcruiser and seeing a herd of Zebra stampede away, or finding a fresh Leopard track dragging a fresh kill. Or waking up to the sound of doves calling from a nearby waterhole or hyenas howling after dark.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
... Or waking up to the sound of doves calling from a nearby waterhole or hyenas howling after dark.

Not to mention daily laundry service, hot showers, great food etc.. Africa spoils you. My bucket shower in the pic below was still better than just about every guided hunt I have been on in NA.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve enjoyed reading the discussions about African vs North American hunts. When I finished my first African hunt with Jan du Plessis back in 2012, I told him ....”Jan, this was NOT my greatest hunt of my life (dramatic pause). It was the SEVEN greatest hunts of my life”. I had shot 100% of my targeted animals, to include Kudu, Gemsbok (2), Warthog, Mountain Zebra Baboons and Jackel. As much as I’ve enjoyed hunting deer, elk, turkeys and other North American critters, there’s nothing like driving around in a Toyota Landcruiser and seeing a herd of Zebra stampede away, or finding a fresh Leopard track dragging a fresh kill. Or waking up to the sound of doves calling from a nearby waterhole or hyenas howling after dark.

As much as you love hunting with Jan, you should really hunt Tanzania once before you die. There really isn't any comparison.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
AAZW: I agree 100% with you on Tanzania, but unfortunately I don’t see me being able to swing such a safari, either financially or physically. With the recent downturn in the stock market, my IRA took a major hit. Both of my grown sons were recently layed off, and we’ve been paying their kids’ private school tuitions, mortgage payments, and property taxes. Sebra is the upper limit of what I can afford, and I know the Du Plessis family can use every client they can get come 2021.

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

As much as you love hunting with Jan, you should really hunt Tanzania once before you die. There really isn't any comparison.

I hunted the Selous with Adam Clements crew in 2002 for buffalo. I have had much better hunts and seen a lot more big game in the Caprivi, Botswana, and Mozambique. The hunt crew was just fine but the game I saw was unimpressive. We hunted the Pano Calavrias’ concession on the Kilombero River. Frankly I wasn’t that impressed and certainly would not pay TZ prices again. YMMV.......

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been spoiled by the Duckworths and Save Safaris.

I have little interest to hunt outside of zim, Mozambique or Botswana.

I actually like North America where I stay in motels, eat fast food and do long roads trips.

I am hunting Kansas and South Carolina this year. May go to tholo is travel opens up. Going to Brazil for peacock in September.

But next 5-10 years I want to get as much offshore fishing as I can. Hardcore popping and jigging I have limited years for that level of physical activity.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
While I won't be hunting Africa in 2020, I'll be heading out for nearby Michigan in 6 days to hunt turkey. Here's the Gobbler I shot there last year- 23 lbs, 9" beard, 1 ½" spurs.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I hate bureaucracy and red tape pretty much more than any other modern inconvenience.

And hunting in the USA is nothing but bureaucracy and red tape.

All I ever hear about is how the percentage of Americans who hunt is constantly declining.

All I can say is, no wonder.

I would rather hunt anywhere in Africa, than anywhere in the USA.

Period.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big mule deer turn my crank......

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
For pure hunting pleasure in the wild, there is nothing that compares to wild Africa.

The animals, the birds, the flowers, trees, rivers and nature all around.

Unspoiled by houses or power lines or roads.

We have been spending three weeks every year, for so many years, in this hunter's paradise.

And as long as it is available, we will continue to enjoy it.

I get constant invitations to go hunt all over the world from very kind and generous friends.

But, I have always declined.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68589 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
For pure hunting pleasure in the wild, there is nothing that compares to wild Africa.

The animals, the birds, the flowers, trees, rivers and nature all around.

Unspoiled by houses or power lines or roads.

We have been spending three weeks every year, for so many years, in this hunter's paradise.

And as long as it is available, we will continue to enjoy it.

I get constant invitations to go hunt all over the world from very kind and generous friends.

But, I have always declined.

+1!

For me, NOTHING! comes even close to Africa

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Africa it is but Also nothing like DIY hunts in the west, sleeping in the woods without anyone around

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I hate bureaucracy and red tape pretty much more than any other modern inconvenience.

All I ever hear about is how the percentage of Americans who hunt is constantly declining.

Period.

tu2

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Period.

Obviously I too love hunting Africa...but I am unfamiliar with all the bureaucracy and red tape you speak of when hunting in the USA?

Traveling at home is much easier, quicker and safer than traveling abroad...especially if one is traveling with firearms. I've never been required to get visas, shots, gun permits or organize multiple travel routes, and speak foreign languages when hunting here in the USA. Nor have I ever been required to apply for CITES import permits...and deal with the USFWS to get my trophy home - talk about bureaucracy and red tape.

Getting your trophies home is much easier, quicker and a whole lot cheaper...and if one is into the "meat" too, well that's something you can't generally get home when hunting abroad. I have 2 elk in the freezer from this past fall...its great!

Thousands of hunts, for virtually every species available in N.A. can simply be purchased without any applications / drawings if one chooses so...and the hunts are mere hours away, not 1-2 days of exhausting travel. Again, not that I too don't enjoy those far off trips (I've been on over 60 international hunts) but hunting at home is much less complicated IMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Period.

I live in Southern CA. Bear hunting now is restricted to spot and stalk, no dogs, no baits. Mountain lion hunting or even bringing in trophies from other States is illegal. To hunt public lands for Elk etc. takes years to get enough points for a drawing.

Heck, the only time I see even deer is when they walk by my house (front yard is a National forest).

So, to try and hunt out of State takes about the same time to travel to Africa and COSTS MORE. Last brochure I got, a guided Elk hunt in Montana was about $8K for 1x1 not counting tips, PG game in Namibia, RSA etc. is cheaper including air fare if one is looking at cost only. Not to mention hunting multiple species etc..

Now, if someone is living in one of the Western States and can get an OCT and have done scouting work during the year to go and have a DIY hunt, sure they can do that. However, that is not an option for most.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a guided Elk hunt in Montana was about $8K for 1x1 not counting tips,

Aaargghhh .... did you mention that blasphemous word "tips"? rotflmo

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:

JG:

That is a lot more impressive than a wall of Cape buff IMO.

Nice.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I hunted the Selous with Adam Clements crew in 2002 for buffalo. I have had much better hunts and seen a lot more big game in the Caprivi, Botswana, and Mozambique. The hunt crew was just fine but the game I saw was unimpressive. We hunted the Pano Calavrias’ concession on the Kilombero River. Frankly I wasn’t that impressed and certainly would not pay TZ prices again. YMMV.......

My first hunt in the Selous wasn't great, but all were better than ranch hunts in Namibia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My advice, for what its worth...consider N.A. hunting for the next 12 - 18 months.

Mexico, the USA and Canada have lots of great opportunities for hunters...and will most likely be the first / easiest places to travel to without difficulty.

I've spent the past 4 years focused again on chasing big elk, bears, sheep, the occasional moose, and western big game drawings in every state. Its been lots of fun...and I expect most of it will be back on line by this summer?

Just a thought!?

As someone who lives in South Africa and hunts all over Africa yearly, I meet a lot of American clients at airports, camps etc and I cannot fathom why they do not enjoying hunting NA.

Personally, I would dream of chasing bugling bulls in the mountains of Colorado or those big hog neck Saskatchewan deer. A self guided Alaskan adventure would be amongst the top three adventures I could dream off.

You guys in NA are blessed! Personally to me, I would rather spend 8k chasing a bull elk or big mulies instead of Namibian plains game!

Posts: 399 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

My first hunt in the Selous wasn't great, but all were better than ranch hunts in Namibia.

Totally agree John...but you and I very much like the same style of hunting / adventure / physicality of it all, etc. The great thing about worldwide hunting is it offers diversity for everyone...including high fence ranch hunting from a truck in SA. There's nothing wrong with that, everyone has their preferences as they should. I just hope folks, the outfitters included get a chance sooner, rather than later, to get back after em all. tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:
quote:
My advice, for what its worth...consider N.A. hunting for the next 12 - 18 months.

Mexico, the USA and Canada have lots of great opportunities for hunters...and will most likely be the first / easiest places to travel to without difficulty.

I've spent the past 4 years focused again on chasing big elk, bears, sheep, the occasional moose, and western big game drawings in every state. Its been lots of fun...and I expect most of it will be back on line by this summer?

Just a thought!?

As someone who lives in South Africa and hunts all over Africa yearly, I meet a lot of American clients at airports, camps etc and I cannot fathom why they do not enjoying hunting NA.

Personally, I would dream of chasing bugling bulls in the mountains of Colorado or those big hog neck Saskatchewan deer. A self guided Alaskan adventure would be amongst the top three adventures I could dream off.

You guys in NA are blessed! Personally to me, I would rather spend 8k chasing a bull elk or big mulies instead of Namibian plains game!

Lots of Americans do enjoy it of course, but a lot of NA hunting is a completely different animal than a Namibian PG ranch hunt.

Most generally one is after a single species...sometimes 2 or 3 at most in places like Alaska / Canada, but not always. Hunting (in general) in NA is much harder physically than anything Africa can throw at you - with a few exceptions. I've never seen a hunter packing out his zebra on his back, when hunting a ranch in SA. I can't count how many elk, deer, and a few moose I've packed out on my back...its not a lot of fun, but it is rewarding. I've never driven around and shot a big bull elk anywhere near a road, much less a vehicle. And yes...a DIY hunt in Alaska for moose / caribou is an incredible adventure / experience. Its also the single hardest hunt I've ever done personally...never shoot an Alaskan / Yukon moose 2 miles from camp, when you have to pack it out all by yourself! faint

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

JG:

Nice.

This!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posts: 2661 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Lots of Americans do enjoy it of course, but a lot of NA hunting is a completely different animal than a Namibian PG ranch hunt.

Most generally one is after a single species...sometimes 2 or 3 at most in places like Alaska / Canada, but not always. Hunting (in general) in NA is much harder physically than anything Africa can throw at you - with a few exceptions. I've never seen a hunter packing out his zebra on his back, when hunting a ranch in SA. I can't count how many elk, deer, and a few moose I've packed out on my back...its not a lot of fun, but it is rewarding. I've never driven around and shot a big bull elk anywhere near a road, much less a vehicle. And yes...a DIY hunt in Alaska for moose / caribou is an incredible adventure / experience. Its also the single hardest hunt I've ever done personally...never shoot an Alaskan / Yukon moose 2 miles from camp, when you have to pack it out all by yourself! faint[/QUOTE]

That is the main reason why enjoy the concept of NA hunting so much. I’ve only ever been fortunate to take a pronghorn. It was such a great experience. My uncle was the South African ambassador to the United States at one point. I might be mistaken but he was part of of the first international team to win the One shot antelope hunt in Wyoming. Due to his status and fondness for hunting, he was always in contact with the heavyweights of the industry back then and they would share stories of hunts and it was always passed down to me. It lit a fire to try and hunt NA as much as possible!

Like I said, you guys in NA are blessed with a unique style of hunting, treasure it and protect it at all costs!

Posts: 399 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Damn nice mulies JG. Are they mostly Texas deer or do I spot a few Sonoran beauties in there?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Damn nice mulies JG. Are they mostly Texas deer or do I spot a few Sonoran beauties in there?

The mounted buck by itself, and the top buck on the painted wall are both Sonora bucks. The lone buck grossed 213" as a typical and is 36' wide. The other Sonoran buck grossed 200. The rest are Texas deer from the sandhills country of West Texas, an area of very low deer densities, but some real dandy bucks if you get lucky enough. In fact the buck on the far right on the painted wall grossed 201", which is big for TX or anywhere else for that matter. My friend owns 65k acres that I get to hunt on so that helps.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Signs of hope on stuff returning back to normal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...navirus-2020-4%3famp

If cruise ships come back - African hunting will come back.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I can get 125% credit on my $20,000 cruise from this year carried over or I can get a 100% refund. I’m taking the credit! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
If I had unlimited finances I'd hunt everything and be enthralled by all of it. My favorite North American hunts are pronghorn antelope in limited quota areas, and elk hunts with limited quotas where there isn't a person wearing orange standing behind every pine tree.

The best hunts in North America that I have participated in are private ranch hunts on huge ranches, the one in February was 200,000 acres.

The average Western USA hunt that I have participated in is a 1000 strong conga line of pickup trucks road hunting elk, pronghorn, mule deer or whatever else. If it isn't a conga line of trucks, it is a mountain covered in hunter orange. The result is the same, you have to hike 3-5 miles beyond the trailhead to get away from people.

The cost of a private land good quality hunt for any species in North America is very high. Southern African lodge based type accomidations are very rare, even on private property. There are places like those owned by Ted Turner, that would equal or beat the top safari destinations in Africa. The normal guided Rocky Mountain American hunt is based out of a tent sleeping on a cot. Or based out of a backpack tent sleeping on the ground. As I get older the romance for that is waning.

The best public land elk hunts in North America will include a 5-20 mile pack in horseback. They will not have the biggest bulls, but these will be the best hunts. You'll experience true wilderness (doesn't matter Bob Marshall in Montana, Buffalo Thorofare in Wyoming, or wilderness in Idaho, New Mexico, British Columbia or Alberta or anywhere else for that matter). A huge all wilderness area with a horse pack in is a good hunt. Some will lead to an elk, some will not but they are good hunts. You will see wolves and bears, and incredible scenery straight out of Jermiah Johnson.

Going forward I am only applying for really good tags, I know I will not draw that many tags but my time is valuable to me, and by the time you get set up for a big hunt you could have just as easily done a good hunt on a private ranch, or in Canada or hopefully some day again Europe or Africa.

Every tag I applied for this year was a quality limited quota tag. Exotic ranches in Texas are full of game, and I get emails daily telling me they are having sales. I am sure there will be deals to had on good quality hunts in North America as well.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
For what a whitetail hunt in TX costs with a good chance for a nice buck, you can take a 4 animal plains game hunt in Namibia- and have a unique experience to go with it. Prior to 1995, I hunted all over the western US, Alaska, and 4 Canadian provinces. After my first African hunt, I haven’t hunted NA again. Hopefully I will be in RSA in late September on a plains game hunt to introduce my stepson to hunting. For sure I will be back in the Caprivi to shoot a buffalo in 2021. As an aside, I bought a donated whitetail hunt in Idaho at the DSC convention auction for the last week in October. If it happens, fine, if not, it’s a worthy cause. At age 72, the opportunities are shrinking and I intend to try to maximize them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just a thought!?

I guess it is a case of the "Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".
I haven't hunted nearly as much as a lot of people on here but I have been hunting in quite a few different places. Zimbabwe, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, British Columbia, Alaska, Colorado and New Mexico.
In my opinion the hunting part of an African safari is nearly always quite easy. The whole adventure, experience and quantity of game is why I love it and will go again.

DIY hunts here in North America are definitely the most difficult and physically challenging. For example backpack muley hunting above timberline at 12,000 plus feet in elevation in CO, or a horseback or backpack elk hunt in one of the wildernesses in NM. Central asian hunts come close to these as well.
Easy hunts on private land for elk and mule deer are available, but the public hunts are usually tough and thus very rewarding.

A lot of the North American crowd going to Namibia or South Africa on what I consider the cheap entry level ranch hunts are of the whackem and stackem mentality, so they want a target rich environment with easy hunting. They don't like NA hunting because it takes too much effort for a hunt that is usually only for a single animal. Different strokes for different folks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nmhunter4life:
quote:
quote:

Just a thought!?

I guess it is a case of the "Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".
I haven't hunted nearly as much as a lot of people on here but I have been hunting in quite a few different places. Zimbabwe, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, British Columbia, Alaska, Colorado and New Mexico.
In my opinion the hunting part of an African safari is nearly always quite easy. The whole adventure, experience and quantity of game is why I love it and will go again.

DIY hunts here in North America are definitely the most difficult and physically challenging. For example backpack muley hunting above timberline at 12,000 plus feet in elevation in CO, or a horseback or backpack elk hunt in one of the wildernesses in NM. Central asian hunts come close to these as well.
Easy hunts on private land for elk and mule deer are available, but the public hunts are usually tough and thus very rewarding.

A lot of the North American crowd going to Namibia or South Africa on what I consider the cheap entry level ranch hunts are of the whackem and stackem mentality, so they want a target rich environment with easy hunting. They don't like NA hunting because it takes too much effort for a hunt that is usually only for a single animal. Different strokes for different folks.

I spent 3 weeks last fall looking for 1 bull elk I was wanting / willing to shoot! I did find and shoot him...but that sort of hunting is not for everyone as you mention!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
a guided Elk hunt in Montana was about $8K for 1x1 not counting tips,

Aaargghhh .... did you mention that blasphemous word "tips"? rotflmo

Oh no! Not that again! killpc

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
quote:

JG:

Nice.

This!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not even close! When was the last time a wounded deer killed a hunter? Only dangerous if you can't stay awake and fall out of your tree stand! Give me buffalo any day!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was on a very substantial private estate on the Mississipi and would have loved to hunt these magnificent deer. Unfortunately, it was out of season. They like Bushbuck enjoy the really thick stuff. Some excellent heads there

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote