Tools

New World and New Decisions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big mule deer turn my crank......

Yep, me too, having been raised in Utah and now living in Nevada, where mule deer were the only deer to hunt. Some whitetails have now found their way into northeastern Utah. Not sure about extreme northern Nevada. Fairgame: Are you sure that you didn't mean Whitetails? Not sure of any mule deer in the State of Mississippi, as they are pretty much a deer of the Rocky Mountains, Western Great Plains, U.S. Southwest, Western Mexico, Western Canada, etc. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Guess I will drag out my old M 70 Westerner .264 and go back to hunting them myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Big mule deer turn my crank......

I was on a very substantial private estate on the Mississipi and would have loved to hunt these magnificent deer. Unfortunately, it was out of season. They like Bushbuck enjoy the really thick stuff. Some excellent heads there

Andrew: you were seeing whitetail in Mississippi.

They pale in comparison to a Mule Deer!! Big Grin

Posts: 2661 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"driving around in a land cruiser". Makes me laugh. I learned it as "Diesel stalking".
Half to chuckle every time someone tells my about their Big African Adventure!

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Not at all like the road hunters jamming the back roads all over the inter mountain west is it..... dancing

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Guess I will drag out my old M 70 Westerner .264 and go back to hunting them myself.

Let me know when you're comin my friend?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkiBumplus3:
"driving around in a land cruiser". Makes me laugh. I learned it as "Diesel stalking".
Half to chuckle every time someone tells my about their Big African Adventure!

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

No, no, no - its the "SRTT". Slow Rolling Truck Technique rotflmo

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Not at all like the road hunters jamming the back roads all over the inter mountain west is it..... dancing

I hear this all the time, but I hunt the west every single year for numerous weeks per year and never, ever see this happening? I don't know where it is, but I'm glad I'm elsewhere!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Leopard, Lion, Cape Buffalo and Elephant. Cape Buffalo is my favorite to hunt in Africa.

The greatest rush that I have experienced dangerous game hunting is black bear with hounds. Outfitters do not share that much about some of the charges because everyone is trying to protect the sport. Every bear is different but when they are coming at you in thick bush you better have a case of toilet paper.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
The average Western USA hunt that I have participated in is a 1000 strong conga line of pickup trucks road hunting elk, pronghorn, mule deer or whatever else. If it isn't a conga line of trucks, it is a mountain covered in hunter orange. The result is the same, you have to hike 3-5 miles beyond the trailhead to get away from people.

Not to mention having an idiot in orange point his rifle at you while using his scope as a binocular! That has happened to me more than once while hunting in NA.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in Belgium and Sweden, once each.

In Belgium I was invited to hunt wild boar, from a tree stand.

There were bullet holes in it!

In Sweden we were hunting moose.

The season opens at some specific time in the morning, as soon as that hour arrived, there was an endless cacophony of shots!

I think I will take my chances with buffalo, lion and elephants anytime instead.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68589 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
In our west , there is tons of places you’ll never see a person in hunting season and top that by excluding weekends and you are in paradise

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
In our west , there is tons of places you’ll never see a person in hunting season and top that by excluding weekends and you are in paradise

100%

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
After three trips to Africa, I simply have no desire to ever hunt deer in NA again.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No solution in sight.

I have money up on 4 hunts in 2020 and 3 in 2021. One was cancelled and has already rolled me to 2021. Another has indicated that if the hunt doesn't happen in 2020, they will roll me to 2021. My guess is that the others will do the same. So now, I have a new problem. Just how do I go on 7 hunts in 2021? I figure I would be gone at least 10 weeks.

I have 6 business class tickets previously purchased. Plus I have a bunch of high dollar concert tickets. The first of those has now been "postponed until a TBD date."

I think I am going to be forced to ask to roll some of these hunts to 2022. I just can't be gone 10 or more weeks.

If I have learned anything about this , it is that I am no longer going to pay my invoices for future hunts the day they come into my office. I would have a lot more cash in my pocket.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a leopard/tuskless hunt booked for this year, and I would actually be about half way through it today if things were normal. I was going to book two spots on a yacht based black bear hunt for ‘21 at DSC this year, but passed because they wanted 50% deposits. I’m really glad I held off.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Smart move, Larry. I used to be that way too. Most of us are now paying bills and invoices only on the date that it absolutely requires us to and not ahead of their actual due date. Good luck with your hunts. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

We have postponed a group mixed game hunt to RSA until 2021 and have also rescheduled a top dollar fly fishing trip.

Am really enjoying getting to know our new 800 h ground / shoot in Germany at the moment and am out 2 or 3 times a week - lots (and I mean lots) of wild boar, roe deer and ground game and its a simple joy to see the flora and fauna change from winter to spring! Roe season opens next week! Battle the decision on what rifle to take out!

I am thinking that when the C19 restrictions are lifted and the dust has settled a bit, I will do a spur of the moment trip to Hungary or Czech Republic and try for a trophy mouflon! Something on my bucket list. No planes or big trip, just load the Landy Defender with some simple gear and drive 900 kms to Hungary or Czech and hunt 3 or 4 days. Maybe even self cater. We'll see ....

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2320 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Hey Larry, I was to be leaving on Delta 4/28 to JNB. Had non-refundable Buisness Class tickets for me and my wife. I waited until Delta cancelled the flight which just happened last week. Called the Delta Refund number. (Specific Number) Was on hold for no longer than 10 minutes, was expecting a battle with them wanting to issue an ECredit instead. Nope! Did not even need to ask for a refund, the gal pulled up our flight details and said I assume you want a refund. Done! Was on the phone with her less than two minutes. She said it could take up to 5 weeks before I seen the $12K credit back on my card. I was fine with that. But it hit my card in about 48 hours. So worth a try, your not out anything. Wait until they cancel and then call.

Mac

Posts: 1746 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
Hey Larry, I was to be leaving on Delta 4/28 to JNB. Had non-refundable Buisness Class tickets for me and my wife. I waited until Delta cancelled the flight which just happened last week. Called the Delta Refund number. (Specific Number) Was on hold for no longer than 10 minutes, was expecting a battle with them wanting to issue an ECredit instead. Nope! Did not even need to ask for a refund, the gal pulled up our flight details and said I assume you want a refund. Done! Was on the phone with her less than two minutes. She said it could take up to 5 weeks before I seen the $12K credit back on my card. I was fine with that. But it hit my card in about 48 hours. So worth a try, your not out anything. Wait until they cancel and then call.

Yup. I am waiting .

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

Where I hunt in Pennsylvania I seldom see another hunter for weeks at a time. Not sure where that orange army hunts, but it isn't where I hunt.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I honestly hope the whole world changes its attitude towards China!

They are friends of no one, and are out to get whatever they can for themselves!

Hopefully big companies will move their manufacturing facilities elsewhere in Asia.

Come to think of it, if African countries can get their act together, they can provide the manufacturing facilities.

But, I am not holding my breath.

Post of the year!

I believe that China is the enemy of the world who are quietly seeking to dominate the world...they are very clever, sneaky and patient about it too

Back in the early 1940s my grandfather was reading his bible as he always did every day when he came home for lunch and a knap from where he was working on the ranch. The radio was talking about the danger with Russia. I made the comment that Russia might take over the world. My grand father told me to not fear Russia, the great bear of the north, because the bible said the yellow race (China) will rule the world for 1000 years till the end of earth.

Lately I have been thinking he may well have been right considering the state of the world today.

…………………………………………………………. oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have hunted in Belgium and Sweden, once each.

In Belgium I was invited to hunt wild boar, from a tree stand.

There were bullet holes in it!

In Sweden we were hunting moose.

The season opens at some specific time in the morning, as soon as that hour arrived, there was an endless cacophony of shots!

I think I will take my chances with buffalo, lion and elephants anytime instead.

Sounds like a fine thought! At least cape buffalo don't carry rifles.
...……...…………...….........…. jumping
old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote