Find
Notify
Tools

why hunt elephants
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
a lot of people ask me why elephants ...

here is as close as i can come to covering those reasons ..i am in johannesburg airport between a safari in tanzania and one in zimbabwe , what better to do in a four hour wait !! i will add pics when i get to a faster internet connection ..

I could feel the sunscorched ground heating the soles of my feet , a trickle of sweat slowly creeping down my spine …my hatband was wet , we had left the vehicle almost 6 hours ago , the giant circular footprints, their cracks showing that it was indeed an old elephant that had left his sign in the roadside dust. Now, many miles and several hours later the sound of a branch cracking had stopped us dead in our tracks …the wind was good , directly in our faces as we waited , ears cupped poised to get a direction on the next crack …seconds became minutes and there it was , not loud but clearly audible the trackers moved to the back, and I walked into the front, Justin right behind me, his rifle ready, taking care to be quick but quiet.

Like a ghost he appeared in front of us , a massive old elephant bull , intently feeding on a recently felled acacia tree. We were standing at about 30 yards, the wind, fickle in the heat of the day suddenly cooled the back of my neck and five seconds later he swung his huge head towards us , raised it to look down his nose at us and then boldly walked in 15 yards trying to see where or what we were, a movement from behind us and he locked on …rushed forward a further five or 6 yards and trumpeted ..swinging his huge head from side to side , deciding what to do .

Our hearts were racing , he had but one full tusk at most 40#, his working tusk a chipped and scarred memory of what it once was … we needed to treat this just right in order to let him go , at ten yards the ball was in our court .

I took a step forward and raised an arm above my head , instantly he recognized us and came in ,shuffling and kicking dust - I shouted and waved my arm while taking a step forward , the elephant just 6 yards in front of me “HEY COME ON !”

He bowed is head and at the same time took a backward step, whew, I knew it was over …several seconds passed , I took another step and he turned and shuffled off , not actually all that scared from the encounter ..

Justin grabbed my shoulder … “that was incredible” his face shining “that’s what I like and that’s what I came for”

Hunting elephant is far more than just killing one, it’s the many many approaches, experiences like we had just had that if you are lucky will happen several times on a hunt …and as you hunt you will realize that every moment spent around these beasts , the largest animals on the face of the planet is a special moment …moments when you truly interact with them and when the time comes and you find “the” elephant every time you touch your ivory you will be magically transported down a lane filled with elephant memories .

Whether your elephant is 30 pounds a side or 60 pounds a side it becomes irrelevant when compared to the magical elephant moments that keep us coming back for more time and time again. Simply being close to an animal that is aware of ones presence and then having the outcome hinge on your next reaction is what makes elephant hunting so unique.

The hunt itself , the classic hunt that everyone dreams of , hours of following skilled trackers as the move sometimes seemingly just on a sixth sense following miniscule sign on the ground …many parts of Africa an elephant hunt is as traditional as it every was , there is no easy way of doing it and hours of following tracks , sometimes only to lose them , other times to be betrayed by fickle wind with just the sound of departing elephants as a reward for all your hours of work …but when it goes right and that’s more often than not and after hours you find yourself within range of your quarry , unsure of what ivory he is carrying , its an incredible moment as you surmise , hope and wonder what ivory he is carrying and its always with great anticipation , that you raise your binos for that first clear look ! without our trackers , in my case Bashop is my right hand man , I would not have had even a small portion of the successes I have and I owe it mostly to him , and his predecessors .. we are firm friends , friendships built on amazing moments , I owe my life to him and his to me as we have gotten each other out of some pretty close jams over the years …they say a PH is only as good as his tracker and I couldn’t agree more ..

Then of course there is the ivory , the silky smooth feel , like silken crème, its what has fascinated man for centuries , leading in some places to the demise of elephants themselves , be it billiard balls ,intricate Chinese carvings, piano keys or an elegant trophy capped in precious metals on display for people to admire, ivory is something one simply cant get enough of ..

I find myself at times just longing to touch , polish and stroke the gleaming white shafts , be it seconds after a trophy has been taken or years later in someones trophy room , the feel is still the same , somehow cool and warm at the same time , almost like it has a life of its own , the fine grain within , the delicate dirt filled cracks on the outside …

100 Pounders and even those approaching that number are largely a thing of the past , however the memories , the hunt , the anticipation , the miles of travel and sweat, despair and hope that go into an average day of elephant hunting will always be there ..thats what keeps me coming back ..

Real men don’t cry they say, yet its not uncommon after literally years of dreaming , just as much time saving , often hundreds of miles of walking and many many experiences later , when you come face to face with such a huge and majestic animal , your blood runs thick , your heartbeat clearly audible in your ears ..the crash of your double rifle and its all over …. The next few minutes will be some of the most emotional you can possibly have in hunting as you admire the beast, largest animal to walk on the planet…everything comes flooding to the surface and before you know it you realize yes , real men do cry and this is a moment worth crying over.

The lord has blessed me with the privilege of hunting way more than my share , I am grateful for that and I cherish my moments around these beasts …One day I will own my own set of ivory, collected with my double rifle, and within those tusks will be the memories of the hundreds of people from every walk of life , people who actually enabled me to make a living doing what I love to do and after sharing moments of deep fatigue , extreme excitement and everything in between , collected the ultimate African trophy with me . Weather they are 30 pounds or 70 pounds each they will be so much more to me than just a trophy.

As you plan your next big game safari …be it for elephant , buffalo or one of the big cats be sure to chase the experience as much as the trophy , that’s what its all about …of course the trophy is what you take home but it’s the experiences and memories that make the trophy so valuable to you !
May the wind stay true for you
Ivan Carter

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Well said Ivan!

Johan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonderfully said, Ivan, and brought back many memories. As I stood next to my elephant this year, I felt and experienced emotions I hadn't in years. It was like being 12 years old again by my first deer, and marveling at the wonder of it all. Hunting is truly a mix of many things, and the kill is probably the least of them.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have been fortunate to have hunted two elephant bulls. I consider it a privilege to have been able to do so.
I also shot a tremendous bull in the Selous in 2006.
I have the skull home and the big ivory also...

Ivan, I can understand what you are saying.

Mike

I smile and give thanks that I was so fortunate

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Very, very well said.

Good hunting.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, Ivan! You said it like it should be said! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I look forward to your first book Ivan! It'll be a bestseller for sure; very well written, and a well put rebuttal to the "blood lust" critique the anti-hunters are always peddling."

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

I question from a novice. Why are 100 pounders a thing of the past? Are the genetics gone? Is it just the fact that the animals are not being left to get old enough to grow long / heavy ivory? Poaching?
There seems to be a good population of Ele's these days.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
Have you ever thought of writting a book about your experiences as a PH? I would be the first to buy it. Good work! patriot

The more people I get to know, the more I love my dog!

Posts: 117 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 26 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ivan, only real hunters know what it means.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

I sincerely hope one day I may experience the emotions that you just instilled in me today! I, thank you for sharing your extreme passion of these majestic beasts and what its's like standing face to face with them!

I'll never forget this writing of yours for it has touched me deeply!

I've only hunted PG till now but one day...but maybe one day... I may have the privilege of you guiding me into a world I have never known or yet even dreamed of til now!

Thank you sir! beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only problem with hunting elephant, I found, was that afterwards I was a lot less interested in deer hunting.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Well said, Ivan.

Why hunt elephants? Because they are the greatest game animal on earth!

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do believe that hunting elephant and coming within "a hand-full"

of yards of a big bull even once, whether or not one pulls the trigger,

could very well cause all other hunting experiences to pale by com-

parison. Now we've all seen the REAL wounded lion charge clip below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tbSuGINWic

This lady hunter had made a poor shot on a male and four or five

PH's had to sort out. The lion ultimately made a savagely fierce dead

on charge and was shot such that he was killed with his head falling on

the feet/legs of the PH who made the killing shot. That too could be a

hunting experience that would best all others. But I guess such charges

and such close and dangerous kills are even rarer than stalks to ele-

phant bulls that conclude within five paces. Pondoro said if he could

make his living hunting man eating cats he's choose that over even his

beloved ivory hunting. But even HE could not get enough work from the

cats. I think the ivory hunting provided him quite an interesting life

myself. I'll bet most of you agree.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just returned from a long planned ele hunt. I did not shoot an elephant but all the feelings and experience of the hunt just expressed by Ivan are real for sure. Will post more details once I catch up with stuff.......

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I will ever be able to afford to hunt trophy elephant, but if I could, I would be honored to hunt with Ivan.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hell, I'd drop Little Jimmy for a breakfast sandwich. Bring on the elephants.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great write-up, Ivan.. I count the days till I am able to hunt elephant again. There is nothing like it.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy:
The only problem with hunting elephant, I found, was that afterwards I was a lot less interested in deer hunting.

Funny, I think I am even more interested in deer hunting after hunting elephants et al. Every kind of hunting has its own peculiar charm. Africa is great, but it isn't the only show in town...

Maybe what I like about deer hunting is that I do it myself. Who hunted my elephant? My PH. All I had to do was keep up and shoot.

Ivan, good writing.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great explanation of why we hunt. Thank you
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. That was awesome.

Posts: 41776 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Ivan. thank you!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Great description Ivan.

I've discovered an interesting paradox on successful and unsuccessful stalks/hunts. On an unsuccessful one there is always a little bit of elation that we can go again, on a successful one I'm a little bit disappointed that it's over.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As you plan your next big game safari …be it for elephant , buffalo or one of the big cats be sure to chase the experience as much as the trophy , that’s what its all about …of course the trophy is what you take home but it’s the experiences and memories that make the trophy so valuable to you !
May the wind stay true for you
Ivan Carter

This is the part of safari that cannot be easily explained to the uninitiated and unfortunately some people completlely miss the "experience" as they are blinded by their success or lack of measured in inches and dead animals.

Ivan,

Great read. Thank you!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very well written. Thanks for posting.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Ivan:

I agree with what you said that "hunting elephant is far more than just killing one." Unfortunately, for me anyway, the "far more" is all bad. I have seen too many videos of guys walking up to an unsuspecting elephant and dropping them with head shots. While I would never begrudge you the right to do it, it just seems pointless and cruel to me. There just seems to be something particularly sad when one of these magnificent beasts falls to the ground. For those that want to do it, I say go for it. It's just not for me.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Well Said !

PS. Next time you got 4 hrs to waste at Johannesburg airport give me a ring I will stick you to a beer and a decent piece of meat Wink

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then of course there is the ivory , the silky smooth feel , like silken crème, its what has fascinated man for centuries , leading in some places to the demise of elephants themselves , be it billiard balls ,intricate Chinese carvings, piano keys or an elegant trophy capped in precious metals on display for people to admire, ivory is something one simply cant get enough of ..

yes...

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another great elephant hunter, C.H. Stigand, expressed it this way: "There is something so fascinating and absorbing about elephant hunting that those who have done much of it can seldom take any interest again in any other form of sport. It seems so vastly superior to all other big game shooting that, once they have surrendered themselves to it's charms, they cannot treat any other form of hunting seriously. Everything else seems little and insignificant by comparison."

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
THANKS Ivan !!
You are killing me slowly with your posts..

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the part of safari that cannot be easily explained to the uninitiated and unfortunately some people completlely miss the "experience" as they are blinded by their success or lack of measured in inches and dead animals.

i agree mark and more than once i have had a very very happy guy get sad or mad when the scale or tape told him less than he hoped ...that saddens me ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with what you said that "hunting elephant is far more than just killing one." Unfortunately, for me anyway, the "far more" is all bad. I have seen too many videos of guys walking up to an unsuspecting elephant and dropping them with head shots. While I would never begrudge you the right to do it, it just seems pointless and cruel to me. There just seems to be something particularly sad when one of these magnificent beasts falls to the ground. For those that want to do it, I say go for it. It's just not for me.

dave ,
unfortunately the videos often dont show the whole story and what it took to get to that moment ... thats what i am talking about , i too would not have any interest if one just had to walk up and shoot in the head , like anything when it goes just right it looks easy ...its not ! thanks for the comments ...

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember it being as easy as just walking up to an unsuspecting elephant and dropping it.

I remember being in a large group of elephants, with bulls in front of us, cows and calves all around, younger bulls getting in shoving contests......... All the while waiting to get the right opportunity at the selected bull. With the trumpets of the shoving match bulls rattling me to the core. And yes, I DID need to keep telling myself "THIS is why it's dangerous game hunting........THIS IS dangerous."

I'll tell anybody that being in that close to elephants spooks me more than just a bit. But damn, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. And THAT is why we hunt elephants.

Posts: 105 | Location: Missoula MT | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote