THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    No Black people at SCI? Is it only for White hunters?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Black people at SCI? Is it only for White hunters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There were some interesting observations on another forum here:

Is SCI only for Whites?

quote:
Been here at SCI convention here n Reno for two days and have not seen a black hunter. I've passed at least 15000 convention attendees and have not seen a single black person.

What is going on?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does this have to do with African Hunting, the forum topic?

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
True...but it is a Demographic a statistical characteristic. Not a whole lot of young black kids are exposed to hunting...so they grow up not hunting...simple as that.

My roomate in college had never roped off a horse(I had done a 100 times)...he was from Dallas (City boy)...not that he did not like it...just not exposed to it.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter54:
Is SCI only for Whites? What is going on?

Interesting observation donttroll

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting observation

Not so much...an observation, but that's about it. Given the number of languages I heard and nationalities I saw at the show, the word must have not gotten out that it is for whites only. But then one could make the mistake of categorizing all non-blacks as whites and think they have a point.

I saw more blacks than people in wheelchairs...why is SCI not doing anything for handicapped hunters? We could be at this ad infinitum...silly, really.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Why would someone go to the SCI Convention looking for any ethnic group.

I must run up the bsflag

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
This is an important point. A real enemy of our sport is if the African or international hunter crowd gets painted as nothing more than a "Rich White Guy" club. There is strength in numbers! Now, SCI has done a decent job of being inclusive of women in recent years and creating a bit of a female subculture with the help of the likes of Fiona Capstick but they really need to seek out high profile African American hunters...or create them. Making people like Karl Malone a prominent face for the organization in print and in person would be a great start. Funding outdoor TV shows with racially diverse hosts and participants would also be productive. They need to market themselves and "signal" to the larger population that everyone is welcome and that this organization is not some "good old boys" network to be despised by the masses. Keep in mind that I don't suggest these things to be PC at all, but to suggest ways to help the image of SCI and hunters in the long term.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
THE SHOW IS OPEN TO ANY CLUB MEMBER! if blacks choose not to join/attend, that's their business. a quick look at Hunter54's previous posts pretty much says it all. pot stirring troll... donttroll

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I just returned from the SCI show in Reno. Although not many, I saw several black people there. In fact, one very distinguished black gentleman spent quite a bit of time at the CMS booth speaking with Myles.

This type of post is typical of Hunter54. He just likes to stir up trouble. Do a search on his past OPs.

Any member in good standing is welcome to attend and SCI does not discriminate against anyone joining. There were people of many different racial backgrounds at the show.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I just returned from the SCI show in Reno. Although not many, I saw several black people there. In fact, one very distinguished black gentleman spent quite a bit of time at the CMS booth speaking with Myles.

This type of post is typical of Hunter54. He just likes to stir up trouble. Do a search on his past OPs.

Any member in good standing is welcome to attend and SCI does not discriminate against anyone joining. There were people of many different racial backgrounds at the show.

Glad I am not the only oen who noticed this about this poster.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back as well.

I will admit that I did not see many black folks, but there were some. Yes, less than 10%.

There were also a fair number of what looked like Native Americans, and quite a few Hispanics.

I thought the convention was actually quite diverse. I sat next to a gentleman who was leaving the convention who came from France, saw a few Canadian hunters, several Mexican guys, and the large contingent of African folks.

Personally, I don't care for "niche marketing." If you are interested in international hunting, you will probably go to one of the shows at some point. I expect you would see more new folks when the convention is at Vegas, as that has a draw other than the convention, but that is my personal opinion. (And personally I prefer Reno, myself...)

Posts: 10971 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is SCI only for Whites?

quote:
Been here at SCI convention here n Reno for two days and have not seen a black hunter. I've passed at least 15000 convention attendees and have not seen a single black person.

What is going on?

Maybe they're all still hung over from your president's inauguration party? Confused

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I was only at SCI the first two days yet I saw a number of blacks, browns, asians and native americans. Oh, and I also saw and spoke with my friends Todd Williams, Ivan Carter, Craig Boddington, Peter Swanepoel, Diethelm Metzger, Karl Stumpfe, Larry Barnett, Johan Calitz, Peter Chipman - who, by his own definition, is "colored" - and many others.

I thought it had been previously determined that Hunter54 is a troll. killpc I see no valid reason for this posting other than to stir

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTroskie:
quote:

Is SCI only for Whites?

quote:

What is going on?

Maybe they're all still hung over from your president's inauguration party? Confused

Too busy signing up for and collecting social grants, no wait, so sorry, that's here. Roll Eyes
As a matter of interest, Natal Hunters have a number of members who are not pale under their shorts.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never attended the SCI convention but based on the comments above there were some African Americans at the convention.

Ask yourself these questions;

A. What percentage of hunters (regardless of ethnicity) go to Africa? I'd bet a very small number. (Based on a quick internet check there were 15,000,000 licensed hunters in the U.S. in 2011; one of the posters above indicated a number of 15,000 attendees at the SCI convention. That is 0.1%)

B. Of that very small percentage that go to Africa to hunt how many go the SCI convention?

C. Would you spend approximately 25% of the cost of a plains game hunt to go to the SCI convention?

SCI convention - Airfare, lodging, meals, ground transportation approx $2.000.00
5 days plains game hunt with airfare (no trophies) $8,000

I'm not saying the convention is not beneficial to some but for many hunters economics rule.

First impressions are lasting ones and usually wrong. In the last five years I've hunted Africa four of those years and each & every time while in the airport or on the aircraft I get the question "Are you going to see family?". When I tell them I'm going hunting I get this surprised look. The point being surprised looks can cause one to be less than comfortable (and some times extremely proud) and maybe that's why you dont see many Black hunters at the SCI convention, that surprised look from a few people.

Another reason we don't go the convention is Accurate Reloading. This site has way more info than any convention could ever hope to have. The info is available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
SCI is color blind, the only color they see is green. I am sure they could care less what your ethnicity is so long as you have the one membership criteria they value most at the convention, greenbacks.

Mike

Posts: 21668 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Boltshooter, thank you for your post and your observations. They are both interesting and thoughtful...and thought provoking.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is SCI only for Whites?

quote:

What is going on?

An obvious attempt at trolling and stirring up shit...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Who cares if it is a trolling post...the question is, "Could SCI market itself better and more widely than it does?"

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is SCI only for Whites?

quote:

What is going on?

They are hunting?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering others posts by this gentleman, this is nothing more than a flagrant attempt to stir the pot. Same old same old..........

While I didn't go to Reno the intent to see if there were any minorities , I certainly saw plenty.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Who cares if it is a trolling post...the question is, "Could SCI market itself better and more widely than it does?"

SCI (and DSC) for that matter, are open to one and all. Even the most dim-witted can see it's a different sector of the market. Even in the US, there are not many (as a proportion of population percentage) who hunt period.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the old saying? "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!"

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who cares? What someone else likes to do and what I like to do doesn't concern me one bit.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
donttroll

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stupid post.

What ever happened to Marc Watts here??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Membership in SCI is VOLUNTARY, anybody that is willing to pay can apparently get a membership.
I sent my 3 yr. re-up in a couple of weeks ago, nowhere did it ask me for my ethnicity. So SCI is not an exclusive club for white guys.
Any & all races are welcome, some just CHOOSE not to, they have that right & I respect it. A whole lot of white hunters aren't members either.
Maybe Mike Rogers should start wearing his cap sideways & the theme music be hip-hop.
Hasn't being PC gone far enough?
Anybody can join & be welcomed, why do we need to chase anyone?

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe they're all still hung over from your president's inauguration party?

hehe, I forgot I liked you Chris...

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Is SCI only for Whites?

All you have to do is consider where the above link comes from! I say just consider the source! There is always some sort of pot stirring there!

There is a reason Accurate Reloading is the top hunting & shooting web-site in the world today, and that reason, I find, unlike AR, is there seems to be little real knowledge on hunting or guns, and a lot of in-fighting on most other web-sites.

On the theme of the link posted by Hunter54 there is a reason so few Blacks are less involved in hunting in general, and African hunting in particular. That reason is that they are mostly city folks, with no familial exposure to hunting so most do not take it up as adults. The fact that you will find far more black people at a rap concert than at a hunting show is #1 the hunting shows like SCI are very expensive, and # 2 is they have far more background in Rap, and other music than they do in hunting of any kind.

SCI convention is a members only show, and very expensive to attend, so it effectively turns people of every ethnic background away at the door, so as Mike says it is a dollar thing not a racial thing! I’ve taken short safaris in Africa that only cost about twice what it costs to travel and get in the door for all four days at the SCI convention, and I’ve been a member of SCI since the early 1960s, and never been to an SCI show!

.................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
54 no doubt is shit-stirrer (okay, from now on when someone stirs the shit, we can say "Hey, don't be a 54!"), but we do need to be more inclusive. It would be to our great benefit.

We should start something similar to Big Brothers/Sisters except take kids hunting.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite PHs is black. Does that count.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
54 no doubt is shit-stirrer (okay, from now on when someone stirs the shit, we can say "Hey, don't be a 54!"), but we do need to be more inclusive. It would be to our great benefit.

We should start something similar to Big Brothers/Sisters except take kids hunting.

HOW MUCH MORE INCLUSIVE CAN YOU BE THAN HAVING A CLUB WHOSE MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO ANYONE?? i suppose the club could start paying for a black/Hispanic/ native American's membership fee. oh, that's right, they have already tried that with federal subsidies for other things and 45 years later, nothing has changed...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The folks at SCI were the kindest people I`ve ever met,IMO,and I am very serious when I say that.They were as kind as the people in Reno.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
The folks at SCI were the kindest people I`ve ever met,IMO,and I am very serious when I say that.They were as kind as the people in Reno.

Hell Shoots, even I shook your hand at SCI!! wave

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

HOW MUCH MORE INCLUSIVE CAN YOU BE THAN HAVING A CLUB WHOSE MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO ANYONE?? i suppose the club could start paying for a black/Hispanic/ native American's membership fee. oh, that's right, they have already tried that with federal subsidies for other things and 45 years later, nothing has changed...

tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Hell Shoots, even I shook your hand at SCI!! wave
Where did you disappear to?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

ban him if it is an issue...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

tu2

Someday the majority of population will vote to outlaw hunting.

Ooops, it has already happened in lots of places (cougar hunting in California, bears with dogs in many states, etc. etc.).

Go back to sticking your heads in the sand guys.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Someday the majority of population will vote to outlaw hunting.

Ooops, it has already happened in lots of places (cougar hunting in California, bears with dogs in many states, etc. etc.).

Go back to sticking your heads in the sand guys.

100% true. It does us no good to bask in the "exclusivity" of our hunting fraternity today if it means that tomorrow that same exclusivity bites us in the ass when the majority (effectively created by us) votes down our activities. No one suggested that SCI pay membership fees for minorities but simply noted that, just as it did with women, SCI needs to make a concerted effort to market to other segments of the population. It is in THEIR and OUR long run interest that they do so! Finally, to make a comparison between this activity and federal subsidies is just silly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The SCI guys are all fighters.One should have listened to all the conversation in the shuttle buses about our elected representatives not doing enough for us and about getting all our kids to learn to hunt and shoot as early as possible.The message was that they are more than ever trying to take hunting away from us.