Find
Notify
Tools

Dande North
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Just amazing. Given what it takes to grow an elephant like that, I think we are looking at one of the top trophies to come out of Africa in the last quarter century.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KPete:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
That bull had an exceptionally large segment of tusk inside the lip. Amazing specimen. Cool

Many thanks for the kind remarks, Mike, especially from someone with your success with elephants. Not surprising, then, that you should note the issue with the tusks relative to 'inside the lip' markings. From your experience, do you suppose it was presenting symptoms of pachydermal dente mutilato stultiloquentia impaction of the tusks? I'm told this is not unlike an impacted molar in a human.

By the way, best regards from Buzz and the gang! They knew you would appreciate the photo.

Would be hard to tell without seeing the nerve. If the nerve appeared sort of gray and black looking versus reddish, that is a possibility. Regardless, exceptional photo of a very interesting elephant.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
So maybe we should guess the real weight ? Smiler Or how many meters Kim is standing behind the tusks

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear rumors this is a fake Roll Eyes

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2082 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
... Due to export prohibitions, these tusks will be surrendered to local authorities and will never make it to the US. ...

Noooooooo.
Time to shop for real estate overseas. All my trophies from a recent hunt in Zim are going to Europe.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Words are inadequate. Outstanding!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
I hear rumors this is a fake Roll Eyes

+1, I heard the same this morning!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rumor is unfortunately true gentlemen and the only reason that I am butting in is that I am inundated with emails etc and Kim seems to be away!

It is infact a 10 and 8 lbs cow shot as a ration. Just goes to show what one can achieve with trick photography! Basically the tusks are pegged in the sand with Kim 20 meters behind them with his hands in the air at the right angle that it looks like he is holding them and Justin takes the pic from a low angle right infront of the tusks!

I am afraid the days of 100 lbs in the Valley are long gone! The many of you who were tricked should not feel bad as you should see all the messages from the "pros" who also took it "hook line and sinker" Kim once again sorry for butting in but it was getting hectic!!!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hot damn, that is the best Aprils fools ever to us hunting guys. Or should I say,
October Fools shocker animal

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I could see this being done on April fools day with a quick explanation to all that fell for the joke. If you look at the photo closely you can see where the hunters raised hand is actually behind the tusk.

Frankly, I think KPete should be ashamed of himself for trying to pass this off. What he should have done is post this on some anti-hunting site. Now that would have been funny.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2318 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Cleverly done........ and the best/funniest part of all is the furore being raised on the anti hunting sites. Smiler

Man but your name is kak with the antis! LOL

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
And, it went viral on FB etc..

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
One thing got me thinking is how many ANTI hunting orgs that are watching AR, within one hour Pieter Kat, LionAid and a few more had this posted all over.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
LOL! THANK GOD! I was losing my mind thinking that the trophy of the century was going to be stuck in some government warehouse! Even went so far as to PM the hunter offering to help him store it in Canada. Great prank!

dancing

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you all for your very kind and congratulatory posts. Quite frankly I had not expected the kind of overwhelming response that this post has generated in 12-hours, especially given the very poor quality of the photo. The wife herself chided me this morning saying, "for goodness sake, if you're going to post your picture the very least you can do is stand closer to the camera".

Of course, she's right, and fortunately Justin (Buzz's videographer/photographer extraordinaire) had snapped one where I wasn't standing ten-feet behind my beloved tusks. You'll find that photo below:

Oh, I have confirmed that this is a record - for me, anyway. As my only other elephant was a tuskless, this ration cow is the finest and largest ivory I've ever taken. (I suppose it's also the smallest ivory I've ever taken, too, but that doesn't quite have the same ring to it.)

As for their weights, they are still approximate but are believed to be in the region of 160 and 144 ounces respectively (that's 10 pounds and 9 pounds each). Certainly better than the other tusks I managed on this hunt, but by no means less exceptional to a relative novice like myself. I'll let each of you be the judge:

Sure this is all very impressive, but please don't let the enormity of these trophies overshadow what was most important: A fantastic safari with a great PH, a superb team, in a remarkable part of Africa that has to be experienced to fully appreciate.

That, and having the opportunity to play an important part in protecting elephants and other African game through sustainable hunting. This elephant represents much needed protein for the villages in the area; money from the trophy and daily fees has gone to improve schools, build wells, and staff clinics; and, has helped to fund anti-poaching patrols to safeguard elephant herds. Without hunters, the elephants of Zimbabwe are destined to the same sad fate as those in Kenya where hunting has been prohibited.

Many apologies if my initial enthusiasm got the better of me. My only excuse is that perhaps the contagion of Walther and his buffalo photo has become viral.

Mea maxima culpa.

Should have done this on April 1 to get ahead of Saeed.
Good laugh. Or, you really shot a big 'un and now are covering you butt.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, I was simply THUNDERSTRUCK, I had no words, just speechless! I was about to bow down to all involved and begin a true round of hero worship. I'v spent much of my last 15 years stomping around the lower Zambezi and of course never dreamed such a bull was alive in either country. Best post of the season gents... I am still a bit speechless, but recovering!!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So is the pig a fake too??

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 1805 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Contact Anna Seidman at SCI's litigation department. She is looking for hunters that have had their hunts cancelled this year, or who have been and hunted elephant, but not allowed to bring their trophies back. SCI is still pushing this issue as of today, October 8, 2014. I certainly wouldn't turn those tusks over to anyone until "the last dog is hung" on the USFWS prohibition issue, if I were you. Good Luck, and by the way, a huge congratulations!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!! Trophy of several lifetimes!!

I hope this bull passed on his outstanding genes!!

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Damn. I fell for that hook, line and sinker!!!

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the whole hunt was faked.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt if I would buy a used car from that chap now .. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Fooled me...

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, talk about fanning the flames of the anti's I don't think anyone could have done a better job.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
You'll now be chided on the same Lion Aid site for killing baby Dumbo...

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
DamnI love it
Excellent joke on us all
Nice set of tusks anyway
Still a shame you can't bring it back

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dukxdog:
Superb. Circumference at lip and lengths?

I guess about 4" and 3" Big Grin

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Fooled most of us. Big Grin Still, the information that I have posted above from SCI is INDEED VALID.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Gotta say that if they were mine, I'd be looking at ways to ship them to somewhere like Europe or elsewhere where there isn't an import ban because there's no way on God's earth, I'd be happy with leaving them in Africa and most certainly not leaving them with the Zim Govt.

THIS!

And then finding a smuggler to get them home!

Damn man, that is fanfarrgintastic!!!!!!!

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
At a quick glance....fooled me .
Roll Eyes
I need to remember that camera angle in future for my marketing dancing

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hook, line and sinker. First telekinesis, now this.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Man you can tell I'm not an elephant hunter! I not only bit. but swallowed that hook line and sinker!

................................................................... sofa

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was a good one. We were able to dream for a few hours anyway.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great post - what fun & excitement. I hope your hunt as good!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Far and away the best post of the year!!!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best post of the year for sure!!!!!! Stultiloquentia Huh rotflmo

cheers

Nick tu2

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should have been saved for April fools day

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
This was even discussed at the Lone Star Outdoor News event at Beretta Gallery in Dallas. 0nly in passing with patrons, but many were duped.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Now that was a good Aprils fools for Oct but it would follow suit for a picture replacement...