THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What insurance is available to DG PHs and trackers?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What insurance is available to DG PHs and trackers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious to know what kind of health, life and disability insurance plans are available to DG Professional Hunters and trackers? I would like to hear from the industry members themselves. I bring this up as it seems with the injuries to Punki, Alan Shearing and now John Greef and his step son Dusty that there might be a need for a permanent relief fund. Perhaps a non profit with IRC 501(c)(3) status so all US residents could take a tax deduction for contributions.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Not sure about life insurance policies, but Global Rescue does a hell of a job getting wounded hunters from the field to a hospital. They don't just take you to the closest hospital either, the medical staff on hand keeps you stable until they get you to a hospital affiliated with Johns Hopkins. Not sure which hospitals those are, but I would assume that they are of the highest quality considering the fact that Johns Hopkins recommends them.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
that is simply evac insurance and would be no help in paying hospital costs, disability payments, etc.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
.500NE

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
.500NE

tu2

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
.500 Jeffery.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
.600NE if you can afford it?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
that is simply evac insurance and would be no help in paying hospital costs, disability payments, etc.

Correct, but a Medical evacuation can cost upwards of $100k, so I think it would help to have it. I think if you ticked the "professional big game hunter" box on the insurance application, they would either laugh you out of the office or the premiums would be out of this world. I think Andrew's form of insurance is probably the only one available!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Most quality medical insurances cover evacuation and hospitalization, examples of these are MARS, GOODHEALTH ( AETNA ), a lot of PH's are on these covers which cost about $1000/ year. They are excellent,have been tried and tested, and any dangerous game PH should be on one!! On these covers, all bills are paid. There is no reimbursement for loss of income however.

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
Most quality medical insurances cover evacuation and hospitalization, examples of these are MARS, GOODHEALTH ( AETNA ), a lot of PH's are on these covers which cost about $1000/ year. They are excellent,have been tried and tested, and any dangerous game PH should be on one!! On these covers, all bills are paid. There is no reimbursement for loss of income however.

BUPA is another very good medical insurance scheme.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
.600NE if you can afford it?

Flame thrower as used in the Rambo movies... flame

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
more seriously - a few phs were discussing this at a BBQ one evening and anumber opted for a short barreled DR in 30-06 caliber loaded with softs. One of them has gone ahead and ordered one with Heym, more as a "fun gun" then for this particular purpose I suspect! He guides with a Heym .577 DR Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do happen to have a Searcy 470 NE DR. That should suffice...

Rich
DRSS
470 NE and 9,3x74R covers this planet

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, in the aftermath of Brittany's accident we got involved with a charitable foundation called Something More Safaris...working with them, we sort of rolled Brittany's ad hoc "Punki Recovery Fund" into what they call the "Boddington Fund", with the sole purpose of providing relief to safari industry workers (any/all job description or status) who are "injured in the line of duty." SMS is a 501.c.3 charitable foundation, so donations to this fund are fully tax deductible. We are working with Larry to help out John Greeffs and his family through this fund. You might check out the specific thread on that, or check out the Something More Safaris web site. Most outfitters have some insurance, but one of our big lessons is that African insurance may not work exactly the same as ours! Thanks, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I know that Olivia McCallum, Myles McCallum's wife, is involved in an insurance program for PHs and others in the industry that provides coverage for accidents in the field like the one Alan Shearing experienced last year with a buffalo. My impression is that the coverage is very good (few exclusions and low deductible) and the payment history is quite strong. The premiums sounded like they were in the ball park mentioned by Martin. Perhaps the coverage is the same referred to by Martin.

Mike

Posts: 21669 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, it is my understanding that there are reasonably priced insurance plans for DG safari personnel for evacuation and medical treatment, BUT nothing out there to replace lost income?

Is this where Something More Safaris comes into play? To fill the gaps of medical coverage and provide relief for being unable to work?

Can a tax deductible contribution be made to Something More Safaris and it be designated to the relief of a particular individual such as John Greef?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like everything in Africa- from mining through PH to pilot, there is no insurance against loss of income...Which is why in an earlier thread I said I would never knock a PH for his choice of rifle or caliber...even if it was a .460 weatherby Wink- Every man has his own plan- both as to a rifle but also things like taking malaria prophylactics. You go down with malaria/tick bite fever/sleeping sickness you loose income...get sick too often and operators will start booking other PH's who take more care over the little bugs that will kill or cripple you as surely as the big five

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Bore Core, the answer to your question on John Greeff is yes. Please look at that thread called John Greeff Relief Fund. It will direct you to the Something More Safaris --- Boddington Fund-- and you can make your donation which will go directly to John. I am working closely with Craig Boddington and also Dave Dunn who manages Something More Safaris. We will communicate to all her and to Johns friends how we do with the fundraising. Thanks again for your support. We are also doing a Searcy Double Rifle Raffle. PM me if you wish to know more.

Regards,

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback. It looks like the Boddington Fund is the way to go. I will be sending a check soon and will be on the look out for the raffle details.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is called long term disability. It cost me about $32.00 a month and will pay me about $6K a month as long as I am disabled; indefinitely.
Not that expensive however the insurance company may have a different idea about the definition "disabled".
It may also be a different rate pending your profession. It is available in the USA.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote