Find
Notify
Tools

Lion Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
The 416 does like those 400 grain Swift A-Frames and I have LOTS of them loaded and ready to go Cool

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
The 416 does like those 400 grain Swift A-Frames and I have LOTS of them loaded and ready to go Cool

Nuff said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Will-

Looks like you've answered your caliber and bullet question. I'm predicting one shot - one kill. Sometimes Lions will move a short distance as they don't know they're dead, sorta like some Buffalo I've known

Marc-

Where ya been???

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moved to Southern California last February. My son Ryan is a freshman in high school, and it seems like all I do is drive him to baseball tournaments. I'm enjoying it. MLB scouts are already keeping a close watch on him. Priorities of single fatherhood are more important than hunting right now. Glad I got all those safaris in when I did, because right now it's impossible for me to 'get out and play.'

I think you're right; looks like Will is ready!

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your priorities are in order. Good luck to your son. If you ever get up here, give me a shout.

And your input here on AR is still welcome.

Gonna be at SCI vegas?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed this thread. I plan on taking two rifles in June on a Lion/Leopard hunt.

Three of my rifles were in the running.

pre 64 Model 70 300 H&H

Pre 64 actioned Hoffman Arms .375 H&H

Talon actioned Harris/McMillian . 416 Rigby

I think at this point it will be the .375 & .416 with the .375 used on both cats.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike I am coming to Vegas. See ya there.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Will: Nice! tu2 Marc: Glad you're closer! Some of us will have the hometown advantage this year with SCI! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Moved to Southern California last February

You mean people actually move TO California? Who woulda thunk it?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have never shot an African lion so my recommendation may lack a little weight! However I have shot a lot of game with the Nosler Partitions in many calibers, and many types of rifles. I’ve also used Swift A-Frames on a number of animals and in my opinion it holds together a little too well for the cats, but is fine for very large animals that require an expanding bullet and very deep penetration.

My pick for any of the cats of the world from the size of a cougar to a five hundred pound African lion would be the 300 Nosler Partition from a 375 H&H rifle, or a 286 gr from a 9.3.

This is based on the fact that the only one shot kills I’ve had on Cape buffalo where the brain was not hit have been with that bullet, and chambering, and got very good penetration with it as well. All other buff have required at least three shots regardless of chambering or bullet type!

On one Buffalo faceing me slightly quartering to his right a NP placed in the crease between the right leg and the neck of a buff @ 75 yds blew the heart to bits, and ended up just under the skin just in front of the left hind leg and the bull made 35 yds and died. I think on a lion that NP would have dropped him on his belly down for the count very quickly!

Add me to the Nosler Partition crowed!

………………………………………………………… old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote