THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Alright Gentlemen: Somebody start the SCI report
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alright Gentlemen: Somebody start the SCI report
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted
For those of us who choose Dallas this year instead of Reno, I for one would like your intrepretation, assessment & overall impression of the 2010 Gala!

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those of us who made neither show, what was the show season like in general? Good, fair, or poor attendance? Good, fair or poor booking activity? Was the tone upbeat or subdued?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Reno Wed/Thursday and the traffic seemed slightly less than last year. The impression I got from outfitters was that the bookings so far were not terrible, but just mediocre. The one big difference I noted were that the day room auctions were going for a good discount compared to last year. One seven day Zim buff hunt all inclusive including the trophy fee went for $ 6,000. There were some good deals being made across the board. The popular Mike McCrave Scottish Red Deer hunt that retails for $ 5150 went for $ 3150 (or something very close to that). A hunt I almost bid on from Ashnola Outfitters in BC for a seven day Elk/Mule deer hunt went for $ 5000 with the outfitters price sheet (not the quoted auction guide price) listed it for 10K. Rincon Outfitters Coues deer hunt went for $ 2750 when a show special direct with the outfitter was listed a $ 3,000. I think the best deal was a 10 day plains game hunt in SA for four hunters. It was all inclusive to include four basic plains game animals for each hunter. It had an auction value listed at about $ 40k and sold for $ 10K! One notable exception was the Norma hunt for moose in Sweden somewhat orgainzed by Don Heath. It had an auction list price of $ 3k, but sold for $ 4,500. I didn't sit through all of both days auctions, but thats the impression I got.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Your First African Safari," the seminar I've moderated for the past 21 years, had just under 200 people in the audience, which is about what we draw every year. When I asked how many people planned to make their first safari this year or next, nearly every hand went up.

Nearly all of the exhibitors I talked with said they were happy with this year's sales, compared to last year. One Namibian outfitter had sold six hunts the first day; a friend from New Zealand said on Thursday he had sold as many hunts as he expected to sell all week. A South African friend on Friday, though, had not booked a single hunt.

I'd like to thank AR members who stopped by to say hello and buy my books at the Safari Press signings.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
I exhibited at both shows. Compared to past years - the attendance and bookings at DSC and SCI were down quite drastically - obviously as outfitters we were expecting things to not be great due to the world recession - and are aware that we will have to hang in there for things to improve.The outfitters and PH's I spoke to are much more positive towards DSC as they treat the exhibitors better than SCI ( who continue to bulldoze ahead with their own mission - thus ignoring concerns of the exhibitors )The topic that ALWAYS comes up at these shows are obviuosly the donations - Africa is by far the biggest donor - and this is having an affect on the industry - and SCI 's bloody mindedness on not coming to a mutual agreement between outfitters and themselves on how to make the donations work for all concerned.There are already advanced plans afoot, by top people in the industry to launch a show in the USA just for African Outfitters - and there is a massive positive response for this. Watch this space !!!!

Mark

Mark DeWet
Mark DeWet Safaris - Africa
E-mail: marksafex@icon.co.za

... purveyors of traditional African safaris

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
A moose hunt in Sweden for 5K yankees

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was my third SCI convention; I didn't go last year. It seemed to me that attendance was way down this year. You could walk down the central aisle in the main room with ease on Friday afternoon. In prior years, you have barely been able to move down this aisle by Friday.

My impression was that the premier groups (meaning groups I've heard of here or on TV) were doing very well, and the others not so well. I never had any trouble talking to anyone in a booth, though I had a wait a few minutes upon occasion.

I think it was Safari Lawyer in the thread comparing SCI and DSI talking about the food and drink - bad food and the cost way too high. I can't speak to the Dallas show, but he is exactly right.

You do have to admire the bus service SCI puts on. Its very efficient.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark DeWet:
I exhibited at both shows. Compared to past years - the attendance and bookings at DSC and SCI were down quite drastically - obviously as outfitters we were expecting things to not be great due to the world recession - and are aware that we will have to hang in there for things to improve.The outfitters and PH's I spoke to are much more positive towards DSC as they treat the exhibitors better than SCI ( who continue to bulldoze ahead with their own mission - thus ignoring concerns of the exhibitors )The topic that ALWAYS comes up at these shows are obviuosly the donations - Africa is by far the biggest donor - and this is having an affect on the industry - and SCI 's bloody mindedness on not coming to a mutual agreement between outfitters and themselves on how to make the donations work for all concerned.There are already advanced plans afoot, by top people in the industry to launch a show in the USA just for African Outfitters - and there is a massive positive response for this. Watch this space !!!!

Thanks Mark for an honest report, by a professional, without "tooting your own horn."

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mark,

How were the number of exhibitors this year?

I spoke to someone today and he said he thought there were fewer there this year.

FWIW, he also said bookings were down..... that wouldn't suprise me because of both the current financial and security issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Highlight Number One: someone with a wicked, warped sense of humor did the booth allocations. The esteemed Col. Craig Boddington had the end booth on a short row of four. Next to him was the TAA crew and Chifuti Safaris and Ivan Carter. Next to them was a taxidermy company from Michigan that Ivan thought highly enough of to refer ALL of his clients to. They establish a web page for your trophies when they arrive with weekly picture and text updates. Pretty cool! Next to them was an African jewelry booth. I really enjoyed the opportunity to meet Donna (Mrs B) and visit a bit with Tamela, Craig's secretary person in Dallas. If you check their website or call she is the person who makes sure your books, etc are properly inscribed by Craig and mailed out. Marvelous ladies, and I know the key to both of them's hearts. The black Australian Licorice. I had a bag in my bag and made the mistake of opening it in front of them. "Hand over the bag and nobody gets hurt!".

Anyway, fifteen feet across from Craig and Co. they had Geoff Miller and the Kalifornia Rigby Co. He did not have the guts to make eye contact with Craig.

Next best thing: Butch Searcy had his stainless Four Bore Double there and was taking orders. Eighty-five thousand dollars. Twenty-five pounds. The WOW!! factor was off the charts. Talk to Butch about the absolute last ever to be made PH grade rifle and a raffle. A piece of history available.

After that: visiting with a lot of the AR members on Friday afternoon at the Giraffe Bar. I had several people tell me I had a good sense of humor and was a very nice person in person. I may be getting soft in my old age.

It was a fantastic SHOT Show/SCI Reno week.

Next up is two weeks hunting plains game in RSA in early April! I got a CZ Custom Shop 300 H&H to pack along with my Searcy 470 NE double.

take care,
The 2010 version: a kindler, gentler ISS.

Rich

Hey, it could happen, we got a Republican sitting in Teddy's chair.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well from a Outfitter/Exhibitors point, the show was good, not mindblowing but we will survie as Mark put it,

DSC compared too SCI, well SCI the attention is better, but DSC just has a lot more better atmosphere,

SCI came past talking about more dontions and move up on the points etc. my opinion is that I will be sticking too the minimum cash donation, I jsut think of it as a more expesive booth price

Less people than prevoisu years, lot more talk and alot less doing

But the world will turn better again,

One thing I heard and this could be clarified by someone with the knowhow,

Is the rumour true that the next SCI President is the legal advisor too Out of Africa Safaris ???

If that is not so please advise If So ?? could be a reason they are still at the show after a lot of others got kicked out, Im know my Zimababwe Outfitters and PH'S are not happy witht hem still being there

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next best thing: Butch Searcy had his stainless Four Bore Double there and was taking orders. Eighty-five thousand dollars. Twenty-five pounds. The WOW!! factor was off the charts. Talk to Butch about the absolute last ever to be made PH grade rifle and a raffle. A piece of history available.

Didn't Butch have his new rising bite action there? Last PH or is it Field Grade? He just discontinued the FG. Then again, the PH is the FG with ejectors and some engraving. Did you take any photos of the 4 bore. Sounds fabulous.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
Steve - I did notice that there were less of the "fly by night - quick buck - bullshit the client " operators !!
Not too many new outfitters that I did not know.
All us operators that have been in the business for a long time ( 15 years + ) are still there - which is obviously GOOD for client confidence.
Secondly - I did hear some rumblings that the new SCI President is linked to Out Of Africa as a part share holder and legal adviser ! Apparantly SCI ( and the person concerned ) was taken to task about this ( in a not too favourable way ! ) BY ALL the African PH Associations, at a meeting held at the show. Unfortunately I do not know what the outcome was.
We will have to wait and see what develops - as I heard that those representing the various African PH Associations are not very happy with what is going on !!!

Mark

Mark DeWet

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was only there Wednesday. I had to go to Vegas on business.

The weather sucked. I got out just before they closed the airport. That is the number one problem with Reno. It is hard to get to in general. It is easy to get stranded there.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Highlight Number One: someone with a wicked, warped sense of humor did the booth allocations. The esteemed Col. Craig Boddington had the end booth on a short row of four. Next to him was the TAA crew and Chifuti Safaris and Ivan Carter. Next to them was a taxidermy company from Michigan that Ivan thought highly enough of to refer ALL of his clients to.

ISS - It was great meeting you! Thanks for the kind words. Charlotte really enjoyed visiting with you, and she too liked the licorice... DAN

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to see OOA surfacing again. I heard these same rumours last year about their connection with the SCI leadership. Truthfully they have never gone away. Even with all the negative information out there no one seems willing or able to rectify the situation at international. I will say that many of the local chapters have adressed it. I guess this just goes to show some of the major disconnect between international and the locals. Think of it as a very large disfunctional family. I am glad to hear there was some serious negative feedback. I too would like to know how that transpires.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I thought the world of you two. Charlotte is an amazing woman, very knowledgeable about the taxidermy business. I was sorting thru the cards I got to find your website.
If Ivan Carter thinks enough of your taxidermy skills to refer his clients to you, you must do good work, and 100% of the time.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great show this year. It seemed more relaxed and easier than past years. I was able to get fairly close to President Bush on two of his stops in the convention and got some great pics! And, his talk on Saturday night was fantastic. I must get a copy of it!!! For those that didn't go to the Saturday night banquet you missed out big time! Of course, I picked up my Searcy 450-400, ordered a new Carlton Evans Knife, picked up a custom knife that Arno Bernard had made for me with a beautiful damascus blade, meteroite bolster and mammoth ivory handles. Then there was a new pair of Russell boots. . . .and the list goes on. Seriously, this show seemed to be more laid back and relaxed than the previous ones that I have attended over the years. I even saw Mark Young with his greying ponytail! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark de Wet,

I believe you guys are going to shoot yourselves in the foot with this Africa only show. The most likely outcome would be to divide the market.

We all know SCI to be less than perfect.(OK, much less) They are, however, the catalyst that began my African hunting exploits, along with all my friends and hunting buddies.

I can't explain why OOA is still a part of the big dance but if half the allegations are true they need to be booted out and whoever it is that protects them needs to be removed from any decision making position at the very least.

Working together is the answer and I will not hunt with anyone involved with further dividing the hunting community. This is like forming a posse to solve a problem, then riding off in all directions.

I am but one person, a life member of SCI, but still only one. There must be thousands of us on AR alone who are due an answer on the OAA question and maybe if we all asked we could get some satisfaction.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
Adrian - I am NOT the catalyst for this African Outfitters only show - as far as I am lead to believe this is something that has been spoken about for sometime in the industry - and I really do not know enough about what is going on to comment on any definite plans - merely commenting on talk that has been bantered about ! Obviously there must be some concern about what is developing in the industry with regards to Africa and SCI for something like this to be talked about ! It could merely be hearsay - only time will tell.

Mark

Mark DeWet

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've also been approached a few times over the last two years for my opinion about a proposed 'Africa only and donation free' show but haven't heard anything about it for a few months. Whether it'll ever happen or not is anybody's guess.

Regarding the other issue. This was discussed a few weeks ago.

Debate also swirls around what many industry sources call the most controversial operator in Zimbabwe: Out of Africa Safaris. Founded by four former South African policemen and based in both South Africa and Overland Park, Kan., the company has done a brisk business taking a heavily American clientele to hunt on several ranches that, according to industry watchdogs in Zimbabwe, were seized by Zanu PF activists and independence war veterans. Critics, including the Zimbabwean Association of Tourism and Safari Operators, say that the group uses poorly trained hunting guides who, among other violations, sometimes endanger the lives of their clients and overhunt species in violation of the Zimbabwean government's hunting rules.

Zimbabwe’s Parks and Wildlife Authority banned Out of Africa last year from operating in the country. "This is an unscrupulous organization that doesn’t respect the environment and pursues unsustainable quotas," says David Coltart, the opposition leader. Conservationist Johnny Rodrigues calls the company the most "flagrant violator" of hunting regulations in Zimbabwe. Dawie Groenewald, one of the founding partners of Out of Africa, denies that his company has done anything ethically wrong and says that he has been slandered by white Zimbabwean hunters. "The white Zimbabweans hunting in Zim don't want anyone else coming in there to hunt - they hate South Africans coming to hunt in their kingdom," he told Newsweek. Out of Africa's attorney, Kevin Anderson , says that "these allegations about poaching and other illegal activities have been floating around for several years and they've never been substantiated." Anderson also says that Out of Africa recently decided to stop organizing hunts in Zimbabwe because "it's just become too difficult." Whatever the case, next week in Reno, Out of Africa will set up its usual booth at the SCI convention

Taken from:

http://www.zwnews.com/issuefull.cfm?ArticleID=13576

The new President (Elect?) of SCI does seem to share the same name with the aforementioned company's lawyer but whether the two people are related, I have absolutely no idea!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
An Africa only show will do everyone a world of good, including the African outfitters.

And I wish them the best of luck.

They won't have to put up with SCI black mail about "donations".

I also hope they will take immediate action againstshady outfitters like Out Of Africa, rather than turn a blind eye as long as the "donations" keep coming in, as SCI has been doing for years.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
Steve - re your above comments - I am still in Reno - and have it on good authority - that Mr. Anderson (SCI President elect) is indeed connected to OOA ! I know, and have a lot of Zimbabwe PH's as friends - and to say that they are PISSED OFF with what is going on is the understatement of the decade !!!
Apparantly representatives from PHASA, NAPHA, ZamPHA, ZimPHA, TanzPHA, Bots and APHA had a heated discussion with the powers that be at SCI during the convention on this very topic. As I said in my previous thread - unfortunately I do not know what resulted from the meeting - therefore cannot comment further.

Mark

Mark DeWet

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I reckon things might well change dramatically in the next few years with regard to shows.

I'm very aware of growing resentment in the industry (aren't we all Wink ) to the SCI 'donation' scheme and the ethics committee etc and although a new 'donation free Africa only' show would be welcomed in the industry, I'd guess it'd be a real bastard to set up and even more of a bastard to find a good location for....... however, if someone did set one up, I reckon it'd probably be warmly welcomed by the African hunting industry.

As for this year's shows, I'm hearing mixed reports. At one end of the scale, some have told me it was better than they expected and at the other, some took virtually nothing.

As I see it, the financial and security situations are probably meaning fewer bookings overall which in turn may well mean fewer people can afford to attend the next year etc..... To say nothing of the donation. Think how someone must feel about donating say, a 10 day hunt and then only sell 20-30 hunting days. Confused

Bearing in mind that 2009 was hardly a bumper season for many exhibitors, my sympathies go out to 'em if this season is also slow.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark DeWet:
Steve - re your above comments - I am still in Reno - and have it on good authority - that Mr. Anderson (SCI President elect) is indeed connected to OOA ! I know, and have a lot of Zimbabwe PH's as friends - and to say that they are PISSED OFF with what is going on is the understatement of the decade !!!
Apparantly representatives from PHASA, NAPHA, ZamPHA, ZimPHA, TanzPHA, Bots and APHA had a heated discussion with the powers that be at SCI during the convention on this very topic. As I said in my previous thread - unfortunately I do not know what resulted from the meeting - therefore cannot comment further.

So the SCI presidency is going to be the same as their "Professional Hunter Of The Year"?

What a joke!

As I understand it, there has been some questions raised about some of the past SCI presidents too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will someone please explain how this SCI donation scheme and points system works? I have heard many derisive comments about it so I would like to specifically know what outfitters are so pissed off about.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... and to say that they are PISSED OFF with what is going on is the understatement of the decade !!!

I continue to be baffled by this OoA hysteria. If the individual country governments and professional outfitter/hunter/tourism/parks groups can not control or eradicate OoA, how do they expect SCI will do any differently.

I mean really! Aren't these guys just out of work SAPS cops, who decided to get on the safari gravy train? Why can't the offended countries and PH/outfitters do anything? How can you expect SCI to clean up your mess when you can not [or will not] do it yourself?

However, on a more positive note, when we walked by their [OoA] huge display at SCI there was NO ONE, not a single client, there, and all the uniformed staff looking very dejected, so...maybe the economy or rumor will solve the problem if no one else can.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also confused about how they stay in business. To this day, people who stir the pot in Africa often just "disappear". It could be why they are leaving "Mugabeland".

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreCore:
Will someone please explain how this SCI donation scheme and points system works? I have heard many derisive comments about it so I would like to specifically know what outfitters are so pissed off about.

BigBore,

See the SCI Convention website. Under the "Exhibitor" tab you will find all the rules, rents, requirements, etc, as well as a list of the top booth assignment priority points holders. These points are accumulated over the years in a combination of booth rent longevity and donations realized by SCI. It is fairly well documented on that site. It appears that 2 point = about $1000 of donation [though the longevity points might confuse that math somewhat.]

I believe the booth rental income, and admissions pay for most of the actual cost of the convention, and the donations provide the funds to run SCI for the year.

Why the outfitters are "so pissed off" is another issue that they might address.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dr_dog_guy:
This was my third SCI convention; I didn't go last year. It seemed to me that attendance was way down this year. You could walk down the central aisle in the main room with ease on Friday afternoon. In prior years, you have barely been able to move down this aisle by Friday.
In my opinion - if you missed last year you missed the quietest show. This year was a little better it seems. Our bookings were better as were most of the bigger, more established outfitters I spoke to.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was my 25th time to rig up there. Overall we did better than I expected. The only derogatory comment I heard from anyone was too many tee shirt stands. I wouldn't know because except for the trail that went to the rest room I didn't see much. I remember the shows from the late eighties. Mostly at the LV Hilton and later the Reno Hilton. Quite small compared to now. BTW, it looks like Dallas in 2013 is out of the picture. They are stuck with Mandaly Bay in LV in 2012 then go back to Reno. I understand Reno made 'em a deal they couldn't refuse.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys and girls,

My unscientific and unsubstantiated assessment of the Reno show was that the attendence was definitely down although the first day was surprisingly well attended. The BUT comes as I think there were far less people there just for the party. I talked almost exclusively to people that had a real plan to book a safari in the near future. This of course is good for me but it also shows a glimmer of optimism in the country comcerning the economy and is encouraging for the safari industry in general.

BTW: Mokore Safaris, Zambezi Hunters and the DuPlooys who I work closely with did very well. If you are considering a safari with these outfits you should get in touch with me soon.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
as a clarification, i am reasonably certain that the points awarded for donations leading to booth placement are based on what the donation SELLS for, not it's retail value. that's why the 10 biggest exhibitors have raised so much money- their donations not only had a high retail value but more importantly, they sold for almost full value or in some cases over market value. a $50,000 hunt that sells for $5000 will raise no more money than a $5500 hunt that sells for $5000. at the end of the day, it is all about how much money SCI gets out of a donation- not what it is "worth".

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13443 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
as a clarification, i am reasonably certain that the points awarded for donations leading to booth placement are based on what the donation SELLS for, not it's retail value. that's why the 10 biggest exhibitors have raised so much money- their donations not only had a high retail value but more importantly, they sold for almost full value or in some cases over market value. a $50,000 hunt that sells for $5000 will raise no more money than a $5500 hunt that sells for $5000. at the end of the day, it is all about how much money SCI gets out of a donation- not what it is "worth".

Jerry, that is correct. The "infalted" market value may? only be used to draw higher bids.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have heard that they will be renovating the Reno Convention Center and thus the move to Las Vegas for a year. Any truth to this one?

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
UEG

It will be in Reno next year, then Vegas/Reno/Vegas/Reno for the next 4 years. About 1,300 exibitors driving up and down to move their exibits, booth materials & equipment back & forth. What brilliance and what fun for us!

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bahati,

Be happy, Vegas is 400 miles closer to Dallas. You will save $$$ and a days less drive those years.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of Zig Mackintosh
posted Hide Post
The African Hunting Show, hosted by the African Hunting Gazette, will take place in Atlanta, Georgia January 15-16 2011. Everyone is invited!

Zig Mackintosh.

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zig Mackintosh:
The African Hunting Show, hosted by the African Hunting Gazette, will take place in Atlanta, Georgia January 15-16 2011. Everyone is invited!

Zig Mackintosh.

What a thought!!! An all African show!!! You just need the top optics people and the double rifle people and I'm in!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arghhh!!!

Terrible timing for some of us nearby. The weekend of one of the biggest Gun Shows in Florida. [The Lakeland RIfle and Pistol Club Show]

Interesting location, easier to get to for most, but a long way for the West Coast hunters.

I hate to miss it.

Les