New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible first African hunting trip
 Login/Join

posted
Hello:
I joined this group to try and get some questions answered. I am planning to take my first and only trip to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo. I am hoping to do this in the next 1-2 years, depending on my wife's health, as she has a very serious genetic disease. Given that I am an optomist and think that I will be able to to go, I have the following questions/concerns:
I have watched a few videos, and the TV series Tracks Across Africa, and that series has me wondering about a few things.
In a couple of recent shows, they had the hunter shooting from what could best be described as a portable shooting bench. It was a 4 legged contraption with a "pouch" for the buttstock and a rest for the forend. When the hunter had shot, or was about to shoot and was loading his rifle, he moved to the right side of the rifle, facing it, while the PH steadied the left side. The hunter then opened the bolt with his left hand, pushing it to the rear, and then proceeded to load additional rounds with his right hand. Is this common, or per the PH's request/concern, or what? The next question is about optics, or lack there of. I really don't like scopes and prefer to shoot receiver sights. I have been shooting them for over 55 years. I notice that with the exception of the PH, every hunter has some type of scope on his bolt rifle. I have seen hunts using double rifles, and one or two using a lever action. In those cases, no scopes were used. So can one use a bolt rifle with receiver sights, or is that frowned upon? And my last question may be a bit difficult to put into words. When does the PH shoot if you have already shot? If they think you did not get a good hit, or is by agreement beforehand, or what? I know of a video or two I have watched by a PH who states "the animal chooses how it wants to die", and almost always as soon as the hunter has taken his shot, that particular PH shoots also. Maybe this is the wrong way to think, but if I have gone through the time, expense and work it takes to fulfill my dream to go to Africa to hunt, I want to be the one who kills my trophy. I don't mean to come across rude, or insulting, or ignorant, but if I can go, this will be a one time only opportunity to do something that I have dreamed about since reading my first African hunting book when I was 10. Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good place to ask these questions. You could get as many different responses as there are active members on this forum!
4 legged shooting sticks are popular in Europe. The advantage is obviously the much steadier suport compared with traditional African 3 legged sticks. The disadvantage is that they are much slower to put up, slower to get the rifle on and more difficult to reload and swing around for that important second shot. Great for distant shots on antelope but not ideal for Buffalo in thick cover where 3 legged sticks are usual.
The majority of clients hunting buffalo are not young and their eyes aren't so good with open sights. Scopes enable longer shots. A long shot on a buffalo is over 100 yards. Shot placement on that first shot is everything and if you can get in a solid second hit you will recover your buffalo. If you choose to not use a scope you will just be expected to stalk closer.
Be careful watching videos filmed in South Africa. Most hunts there are behind fences and the conditions are very different on proper wild buffalo further North.
If your PH doesn't trust you he may be keen to put a killing shot in as soon as you have fired. Kill a few plains game animals cleanly and he will have confidence in your ability. The members of this forum will recommend PHs that give you every opportunity to kill your buffalo before they intervene. Banning your PH from shooting your buff when he feels it is necessary is just silly. If he can see it is gut shot for instance he has a moral obligation to finish it. Your PH and trackers all want to go home to their families in one piece. They don't want to die to protect your ego. Personally I wouldn't want to hunt with a PH who wanted to shoot as soon as I did but I have been hunting them for nearly fifty years.

Posts: 355 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJG1951:
Hello:
I joined this group to try and get some questions answered. I am planning to take my first and only trip to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo. I am hoping to do this in the next 1-2 years, depending on my wife's health, as she has a very serious genetic disease. Given that I am an optomist and think that I will be able to to go, I have the following questions/concerns:
I have watched a few videos, and the TV series Tracks Across Africa, and that series has me wondering about a few things.
In a couple of recent shows, they had the hunter shooting from what could best be described as a portable shooting bench. It was a 4 legged contraption with a "pouch" for the buttstock and a rest for the forend. When the hunter had shot, or was about to shoot and was loading his rifle, he moved to the right side of the rifle, facing it, while the PH steadied the left side. The hunter then opened the bolt with his left hand, pushing it to the rear, and then proceeded to load additional rounds with his right hand. Is this common, or per the PH's request/concern, or what? The next question is about optics, or lack there of. I really don't like scopes and prefer to shoot receiver sights. I have been shooting them for over 55 years. I notice that with the exception of the PH, every hunter has some type of scope on his bolt rifle. I have seen hunts using double rifles, and one or two using a lever action. In those cases, no scopes were used. So can one use a bolt rifle with receiver sights, or is that frowned upon? And my last question may be a bit difficult to put into words. When does the PH shoot if you have already shot? If they think you did not get a good hit, or is by agreement beforehand, or what? I know of a video or two I have watched by a PH who states "the animal chooses how it wants to die", and almost always as soon as the hunter has taken his shot, that particular PH shoots also. Maybe this is the wrong way to think, but if I have gone through the time, expense and work it takes to fulfill my dream to go to Africa to hunt, I want to be the one who kills my trophy. I don't mean to come across rude, or insulting, or ignorant, but if I can go, this will be a one time only opportunity to do something that I have dreamed about since reading my first African hunting book when I was 10. Thank you.

Welcome to the Forum MJG

1. Check out Zimbabwe for your Cape buffalo hunt. This would be a great experience and not a farm hunt.

2. Shooting sticks are what are used in Africa. I like the try-pod better than the bi-pod. Have your own set and take them with you to Africa to use. A little practice and you get real good at it.

3. Open sights are welcome and I use them to take the 2 Cape buffalo that I have. We got close and then closer., both shots were under 50 yards. just have a rifle that you are confortable with.

4. All camps would take care of your wife. plan on having an additional person available to take your wife out viewing. that is what I did and my wife had a great time.

5. The 4 legged rifle rest is starting to be used, and it takes a bit getting used to.

6. You and your PH need to chat before you go into the field and when he can or if he need to back you up.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1621 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I'm not able to visualize the scenario with the rest and the loading of the rifle but I can tell you that almost all PHs use some sort of rest "sticks". Saves a lot of wounded game.

It's your safari and don't forget that. If you want to hunt with a receiver sight do it. I always recommend a scope to my clients because that works better for most hunters.

As for when the PH shoots you need to be very clear with your PH on that subject. Most PH's do not want to shoot your game. If there is a dangerous situation the PH needs to shoot.

I've taken quite a few African animals on 21 safaris and the PH has only shot twice. In both instances it was at my request.

Feel free to contact me any time if you have other questions or concerns.

Cheers,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12978 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
First of all, bear in mind that all hunting shows are promoting products.

Not necessarily being the best advice.

You can use open sights, but you will be at a great disadvantage in many situations in the bush.

There are so called professional hunters who never deserve the name, best known is an utter idiot called Mark Sullivan.

Search his name on YouTube, and if you have one ounce of real hunter in you, you will immediately see what I mean.

Been hunting in Africa for over 40 years, and non of my professional hunters has ever fired a shot to save us.

A few have, after asking to do so to finish an animal and to check their rifles.

Pick a good outfit to hunt with.

Go with an open mind.

Hunting in Africa is NOT like hunting deer in America or Europe.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68266 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are most likely to find standard 3-legged shooting sticks on your PH's truck. Make a set and practice before the safari. If offered the type you describe, I'd pass.

I hunt with open sights for buffalo. Just be aware that you'll be losing some opportunities by doing so. A black animal standing in deep shade can be surprisingly hard to see properly and in detail. Go someplace with plenty of buffalo & you'll get plenty of opportunities.

If you're only going once, I'd strongly suggest that you go somewhere that is truly wild. The quality of the hunt greatly outweighs the increased cost.

Trying to do a single hunt for buffalo will be difficult... You're going to want to go back!

Posts: 444 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You have plenty of time.

Use it to practice.

Start with a 22 rim fire.

Shoot a lot.

Off hand.

Then try something bigger.

A 308 is great.

A rifle roughly the same weight as the one you will use is even better.

I get people here to shoot 5 rounds on a target that is roughly 8 inches in diameter.

Take your time. The object is to place all shots in the target.

Holding the rifle up during this takes its toll.

Try increasing your speed.

Quite often one has to take a quick shot 0n safari, so speed does count.

Sometimes.

Not many shots will be at long range, but sometimes they do.

So be familiar with your rifle’s bullet drop.

I am not a fan of a piece of paper stuck on the stock displaying this.

Most people are notoriously bad at judging distances.

Try to learn this.

Using a range finder is not always easy.

We never do.

Good old Kentucky windage is our method.

As my professional hunter says.

“If you can see it. You can hit it!”

Good policy to follow. clap

Posts: 68266 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The only thing I would add is that it's your safari and if you want to shoot over iron sights go ahead and do it.

People will try to talk you out of it and they will be right.

Scopes are better. Full stop.

Receiver sights are a step up as far as irons go but still far behind low to medium power scopes.

Still, so what?

That does not make iron sights bad - unless of course you can't shoot them for shit.

Then you better use a scope. Big Grin

I have shot elephant, buffalo, zebra and I forget what else with iron sights and not only can it be done but it is also challenging and rewarding in a very old school way.

Good luck!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13578 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
First off, good luck on the one trip to Africa. Many on here made the statement, myself included, and failed miserably. Africa beckons you to return.

Read some hunt reports on here. Stick with a tried and true outfit like CMS or Muchinga.

Mark Young is also a good source of info.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7618 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love hunting buffalo. Consider Tanzania. You can get two on a ten day license and up to four on a 21 day license. A lot of the expense is getting there, so that is a way to add bang for your buck. Multiple animals may be available in other countries as well, but I'd ask.

As far as scopes, I prefer them, but all on my DG rifles are detachable. I used to detach on a follow up, but now I use Swaro Z6i 1-6 where when you crank it down to a 1 and turn on the lights, you have a red dot. Faster than any irons other than a peep. A good scope will give you more shot opportunities. Not only extending your effective range, but also allowing more precise shots in tight cover and avoiding intervening obstructions.

Never used a four legged rest, always a tripod or bipod. Prefer the three-legged sticks. Practice getting on them and shooting with them. Lean into them to help steady them. I sometimes use a walking stick with a forked end to steady my right elbow.

As far as the PH following up, I'd never want a PH to follow immediately no matter what. That said, there are times when it is necessary. Talk to your PH ahead of time. Once, we were running after a buffalo and the PH, being quite a bit younger than me outdistanced me. The buffalo broke cover and headed for the horizon in Masailand. I could not shoot safely and yelled for the PH to shoot. He did.
I asked another PH to finish a bull that was in tall grass. He was taller than I and I couldn't see it. But most of the time, I want the PH to let me finish the job, if necessary. Fortunately, it's not necessary most of the time. It simply depends on the circumstances.

Feel free to send me a PM. I love to talk about hunting buffalo.

Posts: 10231 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
First I want to thank you all for answering my questions. On the comment about banning a PH from shooting my buffalo when he thinks it is necessary, I did not mean it in that way. I just want to make sure I am given every chance to finish the buffalo off. As for receiver sights and the comments about having to stalk closer, that, to me, is what hunting is all about. That to me is the most enjoyable part of a hunt. Lastly, thank you for the suggestion of where to possibly book a hunt. This is a fantastic forum and have already spent many hours reading on various topics. And thanks to Saeed for making it all possible.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
MJD1951

Tanzania is a great option for Cape buffalo... they have 7 day and 10 day license and you can have 2 cape buffalo on you license and some additional game animals.

Budget wise, Zimbabwe offers some of the very best. However, Zambia, the strip in Namibia and Mozambique also have good spots to check out.

I did that in 2010 for my first hunt, and then I have been back a few more times. And have hunted in Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Check around for different options available. most camps are accessed by charter and I am not sure on the charter cost these days.

October & November are on the warm side and that is the end of the season for a few operators, that is always an option to consider.

Plan away, as there are many on here who have a vast wealth of knowledge to share with you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1621 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As others have said, its your hunt, you are the one who gets to make the call re equipment. As long as you are safe, and the rifle is safe, I cannot see any good PH refusing you.

That being said, it can reduce your chances.

Early season hunting with really thick bush can make it harder for you to see your target with iron sights. You will have more difficulty finding a hole to shoot through in those cases- so don't book really early season if you want to do the irons... but that can make it harder on you physically (and on your wife if she goes along) as it will be hotter then.

If you are looking to do this in 1-2 years, you should start checking with outfits and start making up your mind about where soon. While there are short notice hunts and you can luck into something, if you want your choice of camp and dates, sooner is better.

As to that contraption you describe, I haven't seen the show (I tend not to watch them), but the 4 legged cradle contraptions are more steady, so some PH's want every advantage to getting the best first shot off. Lots of client hunters are not really all that experienced of hunters, and I have heard tales of the new sport not even knowing how to load his rifle or where and how the safety works. I have yet to see the 4 legged things when I have been there- lots of times its 3 legged or 2 legged sticks, but using the PH's shoulder or an improvised rest or even (shudders) offhand do happen. The more you practice, the better you will be.

As to where to go, well, that's up to you and your desires and willingness to spend money.

Zimbabwe is probably the least expensive wild hunting, but if you are OK with high fence, South Africa can be a lot less expensive, and in reality, if you are bringing a spouse with health problems, South Africa's transportation and medical infrastructure is the best of any of the buffalo range states.

Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Mozambique are all great free range buffalo destinations that I have tried. Botswana and Namibia are also likely excellent, but I have not been there. I have hunted South Africa, and enjoyed it immensely, but was unwilling to hunt buffalo free range for the prices and conditions stated there. (There is some free range buffalo hunting in South Africa near Kruger, but its very expensive...) and as I have shot quite a few already, hunting game farm buffalo seemed just killing a buffalo to me- but I am sure some places do it right and it would be a challenging hunt.

If your circumstances restrict you to only one, then I would encourage you to try a larger sample type hunt- Full bag in the Selous in Tanzania, or a cat plus buffalo plus sable in either Zimbabwe or Zambia (Mozambique is also great, but they have some issues with import back to the US with some animals). More money, but if its once in a lifetime, might as well do it all if you can. (But a cat really pushes you to use a scope...)

Posts: 10917 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will echo what many have already stated. If your dream was to hunt Africa with irons, then do it! As long as your outfitter/PH understand your goals and expectations, there should be no issue.

Some other things to consider and maybe help narrow things down are what type of terrain do you want to hunt? Buffalo hunting can range from the thick jesse along the Zambezi valley to flood plains along the delta in Mozambique to the mountain forests of northern Tanzania. Hell, I think there are still opportunities in the Okavango blocks in Botswana where you might be able to glide through the delta on a mokoro.

Also, consider the animals you will not be hunting but would like the opportunity to see. IMO some of the greatest experiences come from encounters with game that you are not hunting. Some areas have a wide array of game and you might see game around every bend. Some areas might be great for buffalo but you will see little else.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are getting a lot of comments here. I have been on 15+ trips, taken most of the game in Africa.
I have shot a variety of rifles - .375 HH, 9.3x62, .416 Rigby and many of the smaller calibers.

Here is some hard won advice.

1. For your first trip, use a reputable agent. You do not have the time, experience or resources to get all of the info you think you need. If you are going for dangerous game, this is even more true.

2. Pick an outfitter that has many years experience and a solid reputation. CMS Safaris, Thierry Labat, Kowas in Namibia, Tollies in the Eastern Cape, Uganda Wildlife Safaris - Christian Weth and several more.

3. If Buff and leopard are on your plate, go to Zimbabwe. Zim PH's are the best trained and have the areas. Zambia has many issues - avoid this place for your first. Namibia and RSA are fine but the dangerous game is limited. Mozambique is very good - Mokore Safaris there are excellent, however getting there is more time consuming than Zim. Tanzania is super but very pricy for a first timer. There are great areas in Tanz.

4. If you base your hunt on prices, you will lose out. The best hunt is the hunt where you get what you are paying for and get a shot opportunity. That costs money. Bad areas are cheap... for a reason...

5. LISTEN to your PH. He will save your butt. DO NOT tell him not to shoot. If he needs to shoot, he will. My first buff was shot in the chest (lungs and part of heart) at 30 paces. The buff jumped, turned and ran right at us. I fired a second shot and missed. I then fired a third shot simultaneously with the PH and the buff dropped at 7 steps. The PH put his shot just below the left eye. I hit the buff in the meaty part of the neck. TRUST your PH..... Unless are Chuck Norris and John Wick wrapped into one - you will not have the skill or quickness to assess the situation to make a decision that will save your life.

6. Be flexible. Shoot what the PH tells you to shoot. You will not be able to judge good from bad or good from great in terms of trophy. LISTEN to your PH. He does this everyday.

7. Have fun and take a million pictures... Saeed, the owner of AR, takes at least that many everyday on his trips....

Posts: 10336 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have fun and take a million pictures... Saeed, the owner of AR, takes at least that many everyday on his trips.

I am a story teller!

And I was told a picture tells a thousand words!

By the way, your recommendations above are excellent.

Anyone interested in pictures look at the Photo Forum!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the topic of pictures has come up, I'll offer one additional comment. IMHO, you need three -- an SLR with a good telephoto. I carry one in my pack on the gari and generally don't take a whole lot of pictures with that camera, but the ones I do, are generally pretty good.

Second, I have a little Leica pocket camera with a zoom lens and a veiwfinder that tilts off the back of the camera. It has two great advantages. First, it fits in my left breast pocket so it is always with me. Second, that tilting veiwfinder allows very low angle shots which are great for trophy photos and other phots as well. I find that most of my photos are on this camera, partly because it is with me. And I always have a lot of photos of flowers. Don't forget the flowers, bugs, tracks, etc.

Finally, don't forget your phone for trophy shots. Take photos on that as well. You can send them easily and they can be reduced to a print easily now. The quality is pretty amazing.

My two cents.

Posts: 10231 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a store full of cameras.

My recommendations for safari, for those really into taking pictures and short video clips, forget the SLRs.

Too big, too cumbersome, and require a number of heavy lenses.

My two must carry cameras are both from Sony - a friend has a camera store, sells every conceivable make, lets me try anything he has.

The two cameras are the RX100 VII in its latest version.

Small pocket camera.

Has 1 inch sensor, 200mm zoom, takes fantastic pictures and 4K video clips.

This one I carry in my pocket on safari.

The other is the Sony RX10 IV in its latest form.

Excellent camera with a 600mm zoom.

Takes fantastic pictures and 4K videos.

Only SLR I take is a specialized low light camera to use in camp.

Talking of cameras.

All other makers have given up on good quality pocket cameras with a reasonable zoom.

I have used, previously, cameras from Canon, Panasonic and Nikon.

Now it seems only Sony offers one.

Might wish to have a video camera man accompany you.

The resulting video will a life memory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Since the topic of pictures has come up, I'll offer one additional comment. IMHO, you need three -- an SLR with a good telephoto. I carry one in my pack on the gari and generally don't take a whole lot of pictures with that camera, but the ones I do, are generally pretty good.

Second, I have a little Leica pocket camera with a zoom lens and a veiwfinder that tilts off the back of the camera. It has two great advantages. First, it fits in my left breast pocket so it is always with me. Second, that tilting veiwfinder allows very low angle shots which are great for trophy photos and other phots as well. I find that most of my photos are on this camera, partly because it is with me. And I always have a lot of photos of flowers. Don't forget the flowers, bugs, tracks, etc.

Finally, don't forget your phone for trophy shots. Take photos on that as well. You can send them easily and they can be reduced to a print easily now. The quality is pretty amazing.

My two cents.

Lavaca's two cents is worth a fortune. Excellent advice and what I do.

Posts: 10336 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have a store full of cameras.

My recommendations for safari, for those really into taking pictures and short video clips, forget the SLRs.

Too big, too cumbersome, and require a number of heavy lenses.

My two must carry cameras are both from Sony - a friend has a camera store, sells every conceivable make, lets me try anything he has.

The two cameras are the RX100 VII in its latest version.

Small pocket camera.

Has 1 inch sensor, 200mm zoom, takes fantastic pictures and 4K video clips.

This one I carry in my pocket on safari.

The other is the Sony RX10 IV in its latest form.

Excellent camera with a 600mm zoom.

Takes fantastic pictures and 4K videos.

Only SLR I take is a specialized low light camera to use in camp.

Talking of cameras.

All other makers have given up on good quality pocket cameras with a reasonable zoom.

I have used, previously, cameras from Canon, Panasonic and Nikon.

Now it seems only Sony offers one.

Might wish to have a video camera man accompany you.

The resulting video will a life memory.

Good advice as well... however, I do not have a camera store handy. Saeed is a pro when it comes to cameras and videos.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Don't listen to Dogcat as he is anti Zambia and this country can boast some of the finest Buffalo destinations on the continent late-season deals would be the economical option if you do not mind the heat but you will be on lots of Buffalo every day and at any range you want and close enough to shoot free hand. The Luangwa Valley is truly wild big game country that paints a picture of classic Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9923 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the journey. Planning for and doing your first safari is . . . well, a once in a lifetime experience. And you will find the planning to be a fun aspect of the trip.

In terms of countries and outfitters, do your due diligence. Focus on outfitters that control their own areas and run their own camps where possible. Helps to avoid finger pointing if things go south. The southern African countries will offer the best deals, e.g., South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Zambia (lots going on with Zambian concessions so extra due diligence is required). Scope versus open sights, I have done both. If it were me on my first and perhaps only trip, I would use a scoped rifle. I would hate to have iron sights limiting my opportunities on a relatively short hunt when I may or may not ever be back.

Enjoy the ride, you only get to do the first safari once. Wink

Mike

Posts: 21532 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Don't listen to Dogcat as he is anti Zambia and this country can boast some of the finest Buffalo destinations on the continent late-season deals would be the economical option if you do not mind the heat but you will be on lots of Buffalo every day and at any range you want and close enough to shoot free hand. The Luangwa Valley is truly wild big game country that paints a picture of classic Africa.

Andrew
I am not in favor of 1st timers going to Zambia becuase of situations like the one you are in with Ibi and CME. Further, I would not book a hunt to Zambia unless it was through a "reputable and honest" agent that will back you up if something goes wrong.
Based on the recent past and your posts on other threads, I struggle to see value in your advice.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:

Andrew
I am not in favor of 1st timers going to Zambia becuase of situations like the one you are in with Ibi and CME. Further, I would not book a hunt to Zambia unless it was through a "reputable and honest" agent that will back you up if something goes wrong.
Based on the recent past and your posts on other threads, I struggle to see value in your advice.

Can you point to us ONE instance where hunting with Andrew did not go well?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Andrew

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Andrew
This is a ridiculous statement and you have done much to damage my reputation and that of my country

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Andrew
This is a ridiculous statement and you have done much to damage my reputation and that of my country

Well I think you did that all on your own. You sold me a hunt that never happened and I still haven’t been refunded. It has been said many times that if you make that happen this all goes away. Until then every post you make is going to be met with resistance by others.

Blaming the client is a new one for you. Bravo!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn. This is amazing.

I vividly remember Andrew’s first post on this matter . He was irate and was pretty much demanding an apology. Must be close to a year later and CME stil doesn’t have his money .

Unbelievable.

Posts: 12079 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Andrew

You don't need anyone's help on your reputation.... your actions speak loud enough.

As to your country, you seem to be representing them very well indeed through this whole episode. I have no bone to pick with "Zambia". I have issues with hunting outfits that do not follow through on committments, take the money and disappear, etc... There are good operators in Zambia as I noted previously.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cme:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Andrew

Well I think you did that all on your own. You sold me a hunt that never happened and I still haven’t been refunded. It has been said many times that if you make that happen this all goes away. Until then every post you make is going to be met with resistance by others.

I sincerely hope that you are making headway with the recovery of your hard-earned money and if my posts are met with resistance by some then so be it but that is AR and I am here to stay

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cme:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Andrew

I sincerely hope that you are making headway with the recovery of your hard-earned money and if my posts are met with resistance by some then so be it but that is AR and I am here to stay

killpc

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Damn. This is amazing.

I vividly remember Andrew’s first post on this matter . He was irate and was pretty much demanding an apology. Must be close to a year later and CME stil doesn’t have his money .

Unbelievable.

What has this to do with Buffalo hunting?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
For a new member asking for advice, this sure has taken a new life of it's own.

Forum members have many hunts under their belts and they steer you in a direction that they have had a good experience, however there are many good operator's out there to look at.

MJG1951... AS you can see, you asking for a direction on where to go, has grown new legs.

Wishing you well on your search for a place to experience a great African hunt.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Damn. This is amazing.

Unbelievable.

Any advice from you should be looked at very carefully based on the track record....

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Damn. This is amazing.

Unbelievable.

Any advice from you should be looked at very carefully based on the track record. ...

Define "track record".

But if you would, please do so on this thread.

Poluting every thread possible with your abject hatred for Andrew Baldry simply diminishes the value of threads having nothing to do with the topic.

My 0.02, your milage may vary.

Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7618 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Andrew

There is a whole thread about it.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Andrew

No you pretty much did that to yourself.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of great advice here.

Pay special attention to they of dog at and lavaca.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Andrew is being crucified for something he did not do.

I would hunt with Andrew without question.

Have had many friends who hunted with him, some more than once.

Those who are continuously attacking Andrew, are you friends with Ibi??

The real crook who took the client’s money?

Because that is how you look.

Doing nothing but diverting attention from Ibi, the man who took the money, and bringing attention to Andrew who was a victim of this sorry story.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew was engaged in every aspect of putting it together.

He ensured all his other clients got refunded at the expense of Mjines who got left with no chair when the music stopped and suddenly Oly thieving Andy knows nothing and is blameless.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE