New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible first African hunting trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJG1951 There been some great advice given on this post. One thing I would like to add is if your time and money allow it try and spend a few days before your safari doing some sight-seeing. If you choose Zim or Zambia go see Vic falls, Tanzania has Zanzibar, and beautiful coffee lodges you can see and stay at on a short visit. Most African countries have their own historical places to visit. Something else to think about is hiring a videographer to professionally film and edit your safari.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
MJG1951 There been some great advice given on this post. One thing I would like to add is if your time and money allow it try and spend a few days before your safari doing some sight-seeing. If you choose Zim or Zambia go see Vic falls, Tanzania has Zanzibar, and beautiful coffee lodges you can see and stay at on a short visit. Most African countries have their own historical places to visit. Something else to think about is hiring a videographer to professionally film and edit your safari.

Good Advice, I now go a day or two earlier (or more) to get over the long flight and it gives you a chance to see and do something. I usually do some research and also ask the PH what there is to do and have someone lined up to drive you around and show you different things and to try out some great eating places. The big part of this is making sure that your firearm is secured. most hotels/motels have gun safes for customers to use.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sightseeing while you are there is underrated.

Next trip to SA I want to see Rourkes Drift and a few other battle sites.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I think that sightseeing in South Africa and Namibia is great. It's Africa! If you don't take a few days or a week with a tour guide to visit battlefields from Rourkes Drift to Blood River, Townships and museums or just hang out in a local cafe, you are missing Africa. The colonial history is just under the surfaced and it is fascinating. The culture is vibrant.

We have spent about one year in Africa over the last decade. We would usually hunt for a week or two then tour and explore for a month. It changed our lives. Brian

PS. It is safe to travel with a registered tour guide. They keep you out of trouble and they know the best, most interesting places to visit and the know all the plants and animals history and great place to eat and hang to.
Go for it! Check out Allan Tours, South Africa. ( He was once a dangerous game guide and a soldier in the Angola Border War.)and he has killed 7 wounded lions with a Sako .270. Yes a .270. Interesting guy.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3399 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, Read the Boar War story by Denneys Reitz, Commando. It will blow your mind. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3399 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also definitely take in a rugby game while you are there.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Is this hunting or sightseeing?

When I hunting I hunt

Nothing else.

I go sight seeing on it’s own

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68534 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote