Notify
Tools

Ugly Americans
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cats,
I had originally planned to tell you to fold you soapbox up into a nice tight little package and then stick it up your ass.

How'd you know the soap box would have fit up his ass ?

<BWN300MAG>
posted
Well, there would be more room if he removed the stick... Regardless, it is amazing what one can accomplish when perseverance and determination control the handling of an unpleasant situation. But really, what does it matter, isn't this just another of those "silly posts" on AR?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 fine examples of quality trolling troll

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To pinpoint any specific Nationality is just pure BS and ignorant beyond belief....

says it all beer

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:
How about this one?
For many years I flew from the United States to northern Quebec to hunt caribou each September. On one trip at the tiny airport in Scheffersville a loudmouth from Australia .......

Who said the great American fiction writers are all dead. Wink

(Don't feed the trolls! troll I keep telling myself that!)

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitro X allow me to ask you a blunt question, please.
How would you know if I have ever been to Quebec for 'bou and what qualifies you to suggest my brief "story" was fictional?

One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
ugly, ugly...

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:
I'm usually pretty laid back and have learned to keep my mouth shut. The exception is when I see some ungrateful nation such as France whom the USA bailed out of the mess they allowed themselves into, then stuck us for the money they owed us, BAD MOUTH any AMERICAN at anytime! They should be on their knees thanking us yet!

A couple of points. First of all, France bankrupted its national treasury financing the American colonies fight for independence from England. So the gratitude should run both ways. Second, France permits free speech. That means if people want to be ungrateful, rude, etc., they are free to do so.

By the way, it's always a suspicious sight to see cats and JOEYBONES posting right next to each other. Wynnwood and Carmelo? How are you guys doing?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
It must be getting so close to game...Makes us bowhunters turn into Jerks. Maybe if we rode around all day in the bakkie, we'd be more pleasant???
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Sorry Terry ...I couldn't resist. Wink

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
The French King supported the Continental Congress' fight with England. But France had been at war with England off and on for a very long time. England was stretched pretty thin at the time, which was to France's advantage (France wanted to see at least SOME benefit to fighting on the American side before they were willing to commit). But, the Americans were popular in France: particularly that Benjamin Franklin -- the darling of the parlor scene. Grumpy John Adams, who later would be much more of an Anglophile as a Federalist, didn't fare so well. Supporting America played well to the Parisian culture. When France jumped in, it opened up what can only be considered to be a world war. And, at the time, France didn't have freedom of speech. Louis and Marie Antoinette got very short haircuts, first. In the mean-time, there have been some intervening factors: WW-I and WW-II to name a few.

Having said that, I think it IS valuable to remember that we have had long relationships with these nations. There ARE grounds of gratitude -- and obligation -- on both sides. Whether those grounds are honored, or even whether they temper our dialogue, seems to be the sad question. After all, we are free to foul our beds if we feel like it. I'd rather try to avoid earning the handle of being called "ugly" for doing so.

Dan

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if we're entitled to apply for college credit for the history lessons on this thread? roflmao nut

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HEY! Joeybones why don't you post something right now so 500grains' paranoid nature takes a hit? bewildered
Only Carmello I've ever heard about is a candy bar and Joeybones sounds like a mafia hitman too me. Sorry Mr Grains but you have the wrong Cat here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perforator:
Ironic isn't it, that the countries we give the most financial aid to do their best to trip us up at every turn. Speaking of foreign aid, I'm all for cutting it completely and using it for the poor in our country! I too get to travel to many countries and far and away, people from Europe and the Middle East, believe the Left Wing blatherings of the news channels and extremly dislike the US and its foriegn policies. Funny though, this country is the top destination for emmigration in the world. Go figure.

Don't be so naive. Do you think the US (Or any other donor country) gives money to African countries for nothing in return! They get their shares worth be it gold, oil, strategic military base, diamonds, political support, etc. They will never cut aid altogether to Africa. And African leaders will never be grateful for it either Cool

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting conversation was overheard by my daughter while having her nails done by some vietnamese expatriots. They were saying how GW is much too soft. If he were much of a president at all he would be much more aggressive in his persuit of terrorists in Iraq and do whatever needed doing to see that they had no place to hide. Go figure.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't be so naive. Do you think the US (Or any other donor country) gives money to African countries for nothing in return!

Yeah, I'm sure we are getting a good return on our money. Roll Eyes

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously your Gov thinks so. they just cancelled all outstanding debt clap

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who-wee this is a great thread!

As a genuine Redneck Texan here's my take:

1) Assholes have no specific national origins nor borders!

2) Every country has their own set of the aforementioned.

3) Regarding France: I lived there, drank tons of the local potions, dated the girls, made a lot of friends and love the place - Their government has done them wrong in a big way and now the good people in France are getting a lot of unfair gup from the US in particular, but there are changes in the works over there, wait and see. They (their government) didn't support the war, but the folks I know over there were all for the ousting of Saddam!!!However that said and for the record, I can not support France due to their government's current positions on domestic and foreign affairs!

4)"Ugly Americans": I personally got a little hammered at the airport in SA and unwitingly made an ass out of myself as well - "Ugly American" ,no! Drunk, loud and excited after a great adventure - yes!!!

I have seen this type of manic behavior 1n every country that I have been in (4 continents worth) - usually and almost always exclusively performed by the locals themselves - come on out here and see for yourself!

beer

Reckon some better drinking manners are in order for those of us (all nationalities) that like to live it to the fullest!

Maybe that's the moral of this story!

Jeff