New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need to buy a new case for my soon-to-be-delivered rifle from Sterling Davenport.

It needs to be protective enough to withstand the rigors of being placed in the rear racks of a bakkie and still protect the rifle.

I've looked at Dick Murray's scoped case and it appears to fit the bill well, but what else have y'all found that would meet my needs? I have a Boyt canvas case that's rugged enough but the padding is a little thin for my tastes. Oh, and it needs to fit into a Tuffpak.

Ok, what do y'all like?

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Based on Mims recommendation, I bought Uncle Mike's soft cases for transport in my TuffPak. I have used them twice now in Africa. They work for me, but your mileage may vary.

I got the ones with the pockets of the side -- it is a good place for a copy of the 4457 and I can put the bolt in there during transport. If you lose your bolt, do not call me -- you are on your own!

Here is a previous thread on the subject.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I bought a DoskoSport (scoped rifle model) last year and have been very pleased with it. It is a soft/semi-hard case. Plenty of extras and costs around $70. It is perfect IMHO for what your looking for.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post Driver

Anything Dick Murray makes is first class/best quality.

However Aleko of Heritage Arms, in his Africase line, makes a canvas rifle case that is reinforced over the scope area, that works great at protecting the rifle and scope in the rifle rack of the Safari Car.

I used them on my last 35 day Safari to Zim. They do fit in a Tuff-Pak.

They are first quality. Better than ANY other sort case I have ever used.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Padded Boyt canvas cases work fine. You don't want to get carried away, or they won't fit into the hsnger hooks in the back of the Cruiser.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I reccomend something more rigid than the Boyt for your new custom rifle and Africa.

After two weeks in a Boyt, my rifle had a 1" bright silver spot on the barrel and a matching wear spot on the stock - both from riding in those hangers (inside the Boyt) on the back of the cruiser.

I like them for "local" use, but the gun racks of a cruiser have proven too tough for them in my experience.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
Texas Hunt Company has a nice case. I have 5 and love them.

www.texashuntco.com

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I know I'm a majority of one but in the 8 safaris I made to Africa I never once put my rifle in a rack on a vehicle. The rifle never left my hands except to climb in or out of the back and if I was in the cab it stood between my knees. I never even have a soft case in Africa and when in camp the rifle is in the hard case. I have only one scratch on a rifle from anything in Africa and that was from a barbed wire fence. Again just my preference. All the rifles I have taken to Africa with the exception of my doubles have been customs. Sterling does do beautiful work without a doubt.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe, you're right; I do intend on this trip to keep the rifle with me in the cab of the truck.

Texas Hunt Co case looks good; the extra padding for the scope might be handy; I'll check on them some more. Thanks, Carlos.

New Guy, that's exactly the info I was looking for; thanks.

Tony, thanks also. I like Africase products but his gun case looks to be more suited to Blasers, with the attendent prices. I might order one to check it out, though.

Charles, thanks for the tip about putting a copy of the 4755 in the case pocket...that's one of those 'duh, why didn't I think of that before' kinda of things Smiler .

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
My travel set-up is a Murray leather case inside a Tuffpak. Two Murray cases fit perfectly in the Tuffpack with room for other stuff if you desire (I personally don't). I use the Murray cases on the truck and use the Tuffpak as my lock box in the tent.

The Murray cases do not fit in the gun hooks on a truck. They can be strapped on if you desire, but that's a hassle. I've always just laid them down in the basket over the cab of the truck. The Murray cases offer great protection - almost as good as a hard case but much more handy.

Another option for carrying a single rifle is to get a two rifle Aluminum case or Pelican case and cut the foam to fit a single Murray leather case. You won't be able to fit two Murray cases in a two gun hard case - other than a Tuffpak.

Any gun case pliable enough to fold up and fit in your duffelbag won't offer near the protection of a rigid Murray leather case.

Hope you find something useful in all this. There are many ways to skin a cat.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Heritage Arms Africase's I am refering to are full length cases that have very good foam padding with thin but rigid plastic over the scope area.
They did fit in the Safari car rifle rack.

Like zimbabwe I carry what ever rifle I am using in my hancd whether in the cab or ridding in the back.

If I was going to buy the Murray leather case I would get the scabbard and then you could tie the case to the rifle rack.

And also use it for ATV and horse use.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 padded Boyt canvas cases work fine for transport in the hunting vehicle.

Congratulations on your new Davenport rifle. thumb

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
After a lot of investigation, I bought Americase. www.americase.com
The ultimate. Trips to Africa, Canada, 3 states never a problem. Watch the video on their site.

Randy

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
another vote for Boyt Hunter.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I too, avoid the racks in the back of the
Bakkies if possible. However, that said, my rifles are soft cased and unzipped between my legs while riding in a vehicle. I can pull them out quickly and get out of the Bakkie within an instant. The soft cases are there to protect the rifle and scope from bangs, bumps, unnecessary dents, dust and scratches. I wouldn't go to Africa without them. I learned that after the first trip there without taking them. There are many good ones out there. Take your pick.

one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
I would choose this rifle case... Probably the strongest gun case out there... PELICAN!

http://pelican.ca/cases_detail.php?Case=1720

Maurice

Oups, did not see the last remark... ( Oh, and it needs to fit into a Tuffpak. )... Disregard my post I guess!

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I just used a run-of-the-mill Browning soft case. However, I carried the gun uncased in the cab of the truck while hunting, and in its case in the back seat while in transit.

The only damage suffered while in a vehicle was wear on the bluing around the muzzle due to being carried muzzle down on the rubber floor mats.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote