New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beginner's сommon mistakes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There are a lot of advises for new african hunters. Can you tell me about beginner's most common mistakes?

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
Believing that over investing in equipment & "toys" can compensate for no or poor investment in practice, preparation & knowledge (learning)

PS: This applies far wider than just for a begginer in Africa.....

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I have been told by my friends, who have already hunted in Africa, there are following biggest mistakes:
- avoiding practice to shoot from shooting sticks;
- poor physical training;
- bad hydration (too much or too less drinking of water).

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Using price instead of quality as the most important criteria. A bit like buying the sizzle instead of the steak.

Not doing enough research before buying.

Not reading/understanding the information that's sent to them.

Lack of firearm/shooting preparation.

Not bringing the PH a bottle of good Islay malt whisky. animal rotflmo animal

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Not reading about the history of Safari, Africa, etc. Everyone, before their first trip should read Safari: A Chronicle of Adventure by Bartle Bull, The White Nile, The Blue Nile, Stanley and Livingstone, Hunter by J.A. Hunter and a bunch more. It will make your experience much more enjoyable.

Also, make sure to spend a few days doing something other than hunting.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Also, make sure to spend a few days doing something other than hunting.

Preferably before the start of your hunt to get you over the jet lag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only been 'there' once, but have traveled a lot.
Failing to do anything but hunt. It's an experience. Experience all of it.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
-Lack of adequate rifle practice
-Packing too much gear/clothing
-Mounting everything
-Not enough photos
-Thinking that you won't go back

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having to fight through the "highs and lows" was surprising to me. After and entire day of seeing virtually no animals,busted stalks, etc being tired, frustrated and having a "shooter" appear at dark. One has to be aware that the animals may show up at any place, any time and you must remain vigilent and ready right up to the moment the rifle is secured for the night.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting as quickly as they see game. Hunting Africa taught me a great deal of patience, because the PH was patient. He acted like this wasn't going to be the only shot, or the best shot, if you'll stay calm and wait.

I think back and I know that I never would have waited 30 minutes for a 56" kudu bull to move out from behind a yucca. It wasn't my style. I would have moved around to get an open shot and been busted by the four cows I didn't see.

The PH was patient, so I was. About 31 minutes after we first saw him, he stepped clear of the brush...and boom....game over.

Posts: 13872 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say the biggest mistake not mentioned is having zero interest in your PH. If you are going to Namibia for a ranch hunt, probably no problem. But if you go to an area that is sublet, know your PH.

A PH is far more important than anything other than your ability to shoot. But shooting, like physical conditioning, isn't that demanding.

Kensco:
Just noticed you live in Perth. We used to own a house in Mandurah. In fact, I am wearing a t shirt right now from Cave's House, Yallingup WA that Ms AZWriter bought when she lived there.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always....Spend at least one day at your destination before you go to the hunting area...especially after passing through Jo'berg airpor...this means that your kit will have time to arrive before the hunt starts, you will have caught up a little on the jet lag, and your PH has time to buy you a set of spare cloths and ammo if they still haven't arrived. (In my experience the rifles usually show up because they are security items, but all too often you are trying to make a very fast plan to get the guy some kit and some exotic ammo. (NB...Exotic is something other than .308, .375 or .458)

Most guys have too much scope on their rifles and keep turning the /&%¤#"! things up. If you are hunting in the desert maybe you do need a 3-9 but for most african work there is alot of wisdom in a fixed 4x on a plains rifle and a 1-4 on a big game rifle. The PH calls the trophy size...he is using the binoculars. All you need to do is see that you have a clear shot and are seeing the same animal as the PH!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Shoot something huge even if it's beyond your "planned" budget! Wire the funds to the PH immediately upon your return home. My biggest rookie mistake was passing on what was probably a minimum 30" Nyala because A) I didn't know what a big Nyala was or looked like and B) The trophy fee would have put me $1000 over budget. I still think about that Nyala just standing there for about 20 seconds at about 60 yards. Nice Lyre shaped horns too....the PH must have thought I was a complete moron.

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with Woodhits.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Use a rifle you know well and can handle well.

And bear in mind that a 375 is not only legal for dangerous game, but also capable of killing them without too much hassle.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Poor shooting is a problem for many hunters, and not just neophytes. It's great if you can do all of the other things, but first and foremost, you are there to shoot, so you had better shoot well.

You need to wring out your rifles beforehand and be sure that they are functioning as they are supposed to do -- and that you are shooting well with them.

Sufficient practice, offhand (i.e., standing unsupported) and from shooting sticks, is key - and practice should involve taking shots in rapid succession, so that you get in the habit of making quick follow up shots.

Standing around watching after shooting once is a good way to lose an animal.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13664 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Shakari said using price as the single most important factor in choosing your safari.

Booking too short a safari and booking that short safari 2x1. If you can't afford 10 days or more wait a year and save a liilte more money. You'll thank yourself later.

Spending thousands on a rifle. There is no need for a cannon on your first buffalo hunt. A factory 375 with a scope is just fine. Use the money on trophy fees.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1) Not reading enough. John Reader's " Africa, A Biography of the Continent" is a great place to start, followed up with any and all Africana you can get your hands on. It will help you communicate with the great folks you are going to meet.

2) Going directly from the airport to your hunt. A day or two to decompress is essential, especially the first time.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spend more days there than you think you can be gone from home. I never go that far without spending at least 2 weeks there. Time passes quickly there, save up and make it count. I see 5-7 day safaris advertized and I almost made the mistake of thinking that I could get a little experience on a short, cheap hunt,,, it would of been the biggest mistake of my lifetime,,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen! Very useful information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
- Lack of patience. In Africa, watches are there purely for decoration purposes, and "tomorrow" represents any date between now and 2342 AD or thereabout.

- Expecting everything to work. In Africa, things do not work, by principle. Therefore, anything that works is a pleasant surprise for the natives. Learn from them.

- Wanting to achieve things on schedule, forgetting the ultimate goal. If the ultimate goal is to hunt a buffalo and have fun, don't mistakenly interpret this as being "the goal is to get a buffalo on Tuesday before 5PM, and to do some enjoying on Wednesday from 9AM to 4PM, and to be on the road to WatchamaKallit on Friday by 7 prompt". When you're in a river, just follow the flow, it makes things so much easier. It will look like it's going backwards at times, but it will ultimately lead to the ocean.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three things come to mind
1. Not taking extra money for the animals you come across and just can't pass up.
2. Not planning extra days to see the area before and/or after the hunt.
3. Last but not least:
Thinking this is the only trip you will make to Africa! Once there you will get an incureable disease that can only be sated with return trips.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big mistake: Fooling around with a lot of different bullets and/or handloads to see which ones shoot the best.

"It's the Indian, not the arrow."

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second crane's motion regarding Reader's Afirca, a Biography of the Continent.

Plan a few days to see Kruger National Park if you are reasonably close. Best way to see it is with your PH. Let him make the arrangements. Africa is very affordable, and the plane trip long, so make it pay.

Many, if not most factory rifles have problems that may not be noticed hunting here. Put at least 200 rounds through a new rifle. Check feeding and extraction with various amounts of ammo in the magazine. Feed every round you take through the action. Use premium bullets. I like Barnes TSX's. The name of the game is penetration, so go with heavy bullets.

Treat the trackers, skinners and household/camp staff with courtesy. Learn their names. And don't forget them when you tip.

Don't go with an absolute list of animals. Take what Africa gives you.

Buy and read Kevin Robertson's "The Perfect Shot."

Find shoes that have fairly soft soles. Athletic shoes are fine. Check other threads on this topic. Stiff soles make noise.

Most important: Relax, have a great time, take a lot of pix. I still remember my first safari like it was yesterday, and that was ten safaris ago. Oh yeah. Buy and use a journal, preferably leather bound.

Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Something that really helps some new African hunters is a trip to a wildlife park/drive before the hunt. You get to see what shooter animals look like and don't look like. It can really help your confidence in your PH when you have an idea of what you are looking for. There were two new guys with us in 09 and they said the park trip was very helpful.

Posts: 6 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I agree also with Brice note:
Buy and read Kevin Robertson's "The Perfect Shot."
and with Indy note:
Big mistake: Fooling around with a lot of different bullets and/or handloads to see which ones shoot the best.

My further note: if you fear for your rifle beauty choose as gun a rough "work horse" and live at home your Rolls Royce rifle, Africa can be dangerous for guns beauty,

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would add spending time with the guys in camp. Nice to get acquainted and speak with them while in camp. Thank them for their help. A little attention goes a long ways. Also, when my trackers followed up on a wounded puku for 4 1/2 hours, a case of beer that night shows you appreciate their hard work.

Also, what tendrams said.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:

Treat the trackers, skinners and household/camp staff with courtesy. Learn their names. And don't forget them when you tip.

+1 and don't fall in love with the lady staff we call it reversed khaki fewer jumping

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Roman

Much has been covered but I would say again

1. Packing too much. I got to the point where I checked my rifle case, with ammo inside, when you could do that, and only had a carry on consisting of

one long pair hunting pants, one pair shorts, two hunt shirts, lightweight warm sweater, medium weight jacket, small binos, cell phone with internet, car charger for cell phone, hat, sunglasses- 2 pair, socks light weight sport clothes for around the fire and casual shoes for the fire.

I regularly bought my toiletries there so I could carry on easily and get around flying rules re 3 oz or less, and razors.. A ten minute stop for the basics and sun screen.

2. Not shooting quick enough/being ready

Many hours of boredom, walking then suddenly that ________ jumps out and your PH says shoot, and you are still playing around, have your scope up too high etc. and miss the shot

3. Take a rest before hand

I learned the hard way, better to take a day in a nice hotel and rest up, though it may not be such a long trip from Moscow through Dubai or Paris, but still, rest up so you don't get sick and so on

4. Bring a little "ditty bag" as we call it to carry your spare ammo and hat and sunglasses in the truck, as well as your camera. Keeps it all together and tidy and you don't lose things.

5. Pack your rifle in the case with a soft case, for transport on the truck and to keep it from getting damaged while rumbling around in the bush.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mistakes:

1. Not practicing with your rifle enough. Practice (with the same loads) from the bench, standing, from sticks, sitting, and lying prone.

2. Not taking enough pictures. Take pictures of EVERYTHING. This means not just your animals or posed shots, but actual hunting photos, loading your animals into the truck, the camp or lodge, eating dinner, sunsets, sitting by the fire, etc. Also, before the hunt, visualize and plan out the actual poses you would like your PH to take of you and your animals, and try to be creative. I carry a small digital camera on my belt so that it is ALWAYS with me while hunting. Be sure to take enough photo cards for your camera. You can always delete the poor photos later. When you get home, sort out and print the best ones for your album. Looking at those photos will take you right back to those wonderful moments.

3. Not taking enough money for "extra" animals of opportunity.

4. Not spending extra time in Africa to just relax and enjoy the trip. I usually go to Kruger or another park just to unwind and have fun. This is best done before your hunt. This is very important if your wife is along on the trip. Also, she'll probably love the roadside-stand shopping.

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judging your safari's success or failure on the number of animals taken and how they scored for SCI. Safari is a total adventure and much more than just shooting animals. If not shooting a 40" buffalo or whatever will make or break your safari you'd better stay home because you'll have missed the safari experience.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Molepolole:
Mistakes:

1. Not practicing with your rifle enough. Practice (with the same loads) from the bench, standing, from sticks, sitting, and lying prone.

2. Not taking enough pictures. Take pictures of EVERYTHING. This means not just your animals or posed shots, but actual hunting photos, loading your animals into the truck, the camp or lodge, eating dinner, sunsets, sitting by the fire, etc. Also, before the hunt, visualize and plan out the actual poses you would like your PH to take of you and your animals, and try to be creative. I carry a small digital camera on my belt so that it is ALWAYS with me while hunting. Be sure to take enough photo cards for your camera. You can always delete the poor photos later. When you get home, sort out and print the best ones for your album. Looking at those photos will take you right back to those wonderful moments.

3. Not taking enough money for "extra" animals of opportunity.

4. Not spending extra time in Africa to just relax and enjoy the trip. I usually go to Kruger or another park just to unwind and have fun. This is best done before your hunt. This is very important if your wife is along on the trip. Also, she'll probably love the roadside-stand shopping.

Glen

What Glen and Mark Young have said....

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Expecting everything to go as planned. It is wise to remember that an adventure is something that you rather wish wasn't happening at the time, but which makes a hellava story later!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 404WJJeffery:
3. Take a rest before hand
I learned the hard way, better to take a day in a nice hotel and rest up, though it may not be such a long trip from Moscow through Dubai or Paris, but still, rest up so you don't get sick and so on

+1000.

I routinely depart for a safari sick as a dog. This sucks and is invaribly brought on by working like a madman right up til time to board the plane. I need to practice what I am preaching, but if you can stop work a few days before you depart, you will be rested, healty, alert, and generally better off when you arrive in Africa.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Selecting the wrong/dishonest PH.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Forgetting that safari means journey; in every sense of the word.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
To add to Milo...
If possible, drive into camp rather than fly. It tells you more about the country than Dar or Josie do.
For some people it may be too stressful, I like the safari.

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Crowkiller
posted Hide Post
I wish I had planned a day for sightseeing and jet lag recovery the day after I landed in Joburg.

Bring a facemask. Game in Africa zeroes in on the human face like North American game.

Warm up on one of your "lesser" species first, instead of charging after your main trophy.

TANSTAAFL

Posts: 73 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Not listening to, and failing to rely on the advice or instructions of your PH. thumb But, with that said, DON'T BE A RUBE!!!

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Taking expectations with you to the field.

I told my PH that I left my expectations on the airplane. I was simply interested in soaking up as much hunting and Africa as I could.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote