New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beginner's сommon mistakes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not taking more pictures and not learning the benefits of shooting pictures in RAW format.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all! A lot of information which I never heard.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may sound contradictory to what I've said before but one of the worst things that a safari novice can say to his PH is "I don't really care about the trophies I just want to hunt". This is a cue to a slightly unscrupulous PH that the client is a rube and he can tell him to shoot anything.

A client needs to know what makes a good representative of the species in the area they are going to hunt and these good representatives should be the goal.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Roman

I thought of something else.

Always shake out your clothing and boots before putting on, check your bed and any sofa you sit on, under pillows etc. and if you have to visit the bathroom at night and it is outside your tent....don't...

I got bit by a poisonous spider that had crawled into my glove- it hurt! and I had to visit a clinic

I have found spiders in the bed, on the pillow, snakes under outdoor sofa cushions, a big ass lizard under my gun case and startled something one night walking to the bathroom outside my tent, asked the camp manager, he said from the tracks it was a hyena....took a big pot with me to bed thereafter!

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am taking my first hunt for PG this June and this is all valuable information. Already I'm doing most of what you folks recommend. When the snow melts I will practice my shooting this spring in anticipation of my trip. All these thoughts make real sense.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Your trophies will be important reminders of your safari, but so too will be your photographs. Unfortunately, most hunters end up with a couple of printed photos on a desk or bookshelf and a digital file full of snapshots in their computer that they will rarely open.

Instead, create a 'photo book' that captures your safari from start to finish. If you have a Macintosh it's really easy: You simply load all of your digital photos into iPhoto and then create an iBook. You then simply size your photos the way you want, add captions, and then with a push of a button - the file is sent off to Apple and a week or so later you get your a book complete with custom dust cover. PCs also have software and vendors that perform the same services.

There is no souvenir from our safaris that is more satisfying - or that is appreciated as often - as our photo books. The trick is to discipline yourself to take photos that help to tell the complete story of your trip, from the time you leave for the airport until you arrive back home. Trust me, nothing is better at recalling the many details and special events! And they make a great gift to your PH.

Oh, and as others have said over and over:

Accurate guns don't make accurate shooters.

Practice, practice, practice. It's for that reason that I recently obtained Bwana Moja's full-size cape buffalo shooting target. Trust me, this thing is impressive and a whole lot more than just a paper target! More on that later ...

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

one of us
posted Hide Post
Read my article "Seven Ways to Ruin an Otherwise Perfectly Good Safari", it's on my website.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote