THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Back From Bundu Safari Make Up Hunt.........................

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back From Bundu Safari Make Up Hunt.........................
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well where to start..........

I guess first thing is to say I am using an old laptop because my Sony Vaio was damaged during my hunt so I can't post pics for at least 2 weeks, sorry.

I went back to Tanzania with Bundu Safaris for a return trip, a 10 day cape buff and plains game hunt. As some may recall my first hunt did not go very well, more on that in a moment.

I will have to keep this brief for now as this old laptop has a bad habit of just shutting down on the spur of the moment and I lose all entered data.

I took 2 long guns, a Ruger Magnum 416 Rigby with a Swaro 1.5 x 4 30mm, Nosler Partitions, TBBC solids. And what I belive to be the first ever Ruger Gold Label SxS 12 gauge used in Africa.

I hunted with Brian Van Blerk out of Lobo camp. I belive others have posted pics of this beautiful and well run camp. The staff and service is excellent and I would not hesitate to bring my wife and family. Brian is top shelf as a PH and person. Just a great guy.

We started out shooting birds with the Gold Label. It worked great on francolin, gueina and sand grouse. It was great fun. Brian took a hand with the shotgun and he is no slouch with a scattergun either, he is now seriously thinking of aquiring a Gold Label for back-up in the leopard blind.

My hunt only lasted 3 days, as bad as my first hunt was this one went totally to the other extreme. The hunting Gods were very generous as you will see.

I took the following animals............

A Cokes Hartabeest, one shot, NP, 130 yrds, he taped 18 1/2 inches.

A Grants, one shot, NP, 230 yrds, he taped 23 inches.

A Cape Buff, one shot, NP, 60 yrds, he taped 44 inches, hard boss, nice drop and curl.

A Warthog, one shot, NP, 200 yrds, good for the area at 12 inches.

A Impala, one shot, NP, 190 yrds, he went 24 inches, very wide.

A Cape Buff, one neck shot to drop him in his tracks and 2 insurance shots ( he just would not die ), NP and TBBC Solids, 40 yrds, he taped 46 inches, just a little soft but great drop and curl.

A Zebra, one shot, NP, 180 yrds, nice mane, used him for lion bait.

Thats a brief run down on the game I took. If anyone has any questions on the distances I took the game at using a 416 Rigby and 4x scope Brian will be at Reno. It still amazes me how flat the Rigby shoots. I feel its perfect for the " one rifle " safari.

I ran into Paul Horsely, the PH on my previous hunt that went bad. I asked Paul to walk with me, we talked. I told him how I felt, he told me how he felt and we parted shaking hands, I'll leave it at that.

I was treated like a king on this return hunt by everyone involved. There is a lot of $$$ being invested in this area ( Lokesale and Lobo ) by the company. It will only get better and better there.

Game was everywhere. It was like the Crater. We saw a huge black maned lion on day 3, lots of female lions, leopard, great herds of buff, and hundreds of mixed herds of zebra and wildabeest.

I know this is a short post, I will for sure get pics up when I can. Bundu Safaris is a hell of a place. I took all my heads in 3 days with no effort at all. As I said the Gods were smiling on me for sure................................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear of your success! And, the mended fences with the previous PH... Congratulations.
Will look forward to a more detailed report & pics!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJ,

Wow! I cannot wait to see the pics! Sounds like an awesome safari. Congratulations on what sound like outstanding trophies. I know you are pleased. Brian is fantastic. I cannot wait to one day do the 21 day spree at Lobo!

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Fantastic outcome. Great for everyone involved.
COME BACK WITH PICS PRONTO!!

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't see hunting listed on there web site. I have been looking for a place to get a buff in the range that you did. And I was interested in prices. Do you have the link for there huntuing?

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
JJ, I'm sorry, and don't mean to drag up old memories, but I don't seem to recall the details of your first hunt gone bad. I browsed the hunt reports and didn't find anything.

If you have a link could you share it...just so I can have the whole story in perspective.

Congratulations!

EDIT: I FOUND IT:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../323104603#323104603

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
A more comprehensive report and pics please.

Thanks for the appetizer, congratulations anyway. thumb

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
JJ,

Sounds like you struck gold, looking forward to your pics. Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
A buff of 44" and anotherone of 46" ???
Man, without doubt you are a very lucky happy hunter...

Those big masailand buffs keep me dreaming...

You OWE us a complete report and lots of pictures !! Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I'm glad it all worked out for you.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ I am very glad you had a great hunt! While you were gone there was another "hunt gone bad" story, but unfortunately, it does not seem to have had a similar happy ending!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the 'make-up' hunt did the job. Congratulations to you and the outfitter.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJ,

I am glad to hear the operator made it right with you and delivered a great hunt!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Great to hear that Lady Luck smiled at you during the hunt. What a fabulous results from 3 days of hunting!
Congrats and thanks for sharing. Can`t wait for photos! Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a terrific safari! That's a great bag and that it only required three days is fantastic.

Your outfitter, Adam Clements, is to be commended for the way he addressed and resolved your previous problem hunt.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
JJ,
Glad to hear things went well and you enjoyed your hunt. That's the way it should be! Looking forward to see your pictures.

Looks like another favorable report on Noslar Partitions.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations -- looking forward to the pictures as well.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow, JJ what a hunt...a 44" and 46" buffalo in three days? Man, the red gods were smiling on you! Congratulations and I look forward to your pictures. Glad all was worked out between you and your former PH. Lolkisale and Lobo are unique areas and when conditions are right, you can't find a spot for bigger buffalo! Good hunt.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Great hunt JJ, and congratulations on a 44" and 46" buff in three days!

There are lots of good hunts, and some exceptional hunts, and I believe you found the latter, in this case. The very long lasting part of this hunt is the patched "POT HOLES" between you and the PH. Nothing but good can come from that effort! thumb beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a great hunt. Congratulations. Can't wait to read a more detailed report and see some awsome photos.

Also congratulations to all involved for working out an ugly situation so well.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ,
great results and fine report.Congratulations to your success.
I recall the initial snafu somewhat in that multiple owners and possible agents were involved.
Because your experience is note worthy ,I think it might also be of value possibly,for you to briefly outline who actually picked up the tab and "made good" on your previous safari.

The reason I mention this is because I heard of reports that those same people are not trustworthy.(In the eye and word of their competitors)

I tend to believe action is stronger than words,therefore like to document the deeds and characters.

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went back and re-hashed the original snafu.As Sheephunter says there was Adam ionvolved and also Wendell.Questions about who owned what?The PH was lazy,refused to take you into buffalo,would not follow track into forbidden zone.You nearly came to blows with PH.Afterwards he said you were lazy, would not hunt, had unrealistic expectations.Adam seemed inclined to believe the words of his man, and when you were offered a rehunt by the other "partners " his last word publicly was that he was not sure if he would make amends with you or not.

So I too ,am curious as to how things got patched up.Who stepped in to resolve the issues? How could you make amends with that PH?How could we avoid stepping in the same quagmire that you did with the first hunt?Final talley, who were the horoes and who do you still list among the villins?The good, the bad, and the ugly!

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eyedoc,

Long story short it was a PH/client rub more than a problem with Bundu. I met the PH on my return trip and we talked things out. He told me what he thought and I told him what I thought, we shook hands and parted ways.

As far as Bundu goes its a first class operation as you can see with great buff. I have recommended them to several people even after mt first snafu hunt...........JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great job JJ...!

Everything in 3 days huh, including a 44 & 46' buff... outta sight! cheers

Lets see those pics.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
JJ,
Damn fine job...I hope you chased that big black maned lion south..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian is a 1st class PH and an even nicer person. Hard working and a great companion.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote