THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    1969 Tanzania Safari, (More pics added)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1969 Tanzania Safari, (More pics added)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted
The pictures below are from a good friend of mine's dad. He went for a month and a half safari in Tanzania's Ruaha National Park area in 1969. He took elephant, sable, kudu, lion, buffalo, zebra, and several other species. He is now eighty-nine years old. He remembers his PH as being a Keith Cormac. He is sending additional photos but thought I might post these as I received them today. If anyone ia familiar with the area he hunted or has heard of Keith Cormac any info would be appreciated.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful images of time gone by...Wow!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the rest!!

Certainly a different time but that "Lion Lynching" picture bugs me for some reason.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I had the same initial reaction, but I think in times past the lion was viewed very differently to how it is today.

Most of the old books take the view that the only good lion was a dead lion, hence the difference in how the trophy pic is displayed.

Either way they are some great pics of an era African hunting will never see again.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We hunted an area bordering the Ruaha in 07. Nice area with a wide variety of game.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
We hunted an area bordering the Ruaha in 07. Nice area with a wide variety of game.

So did I . . . with Usangu and Zahir.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keith Cormac was based out of Chimala. He lived about a mile from me when I was a kid. The hunt could have taken place anywhere but in 1969, most of his hunting took place on the Usangu Flats and the area that would touch the southeast and southwest corners of the Ruaha NP. He used to hunt in the area that would become the NP, but if memory serves me correct Ruaha became a NP in 1967. (George Rushby and Eric Balson were the local game wardens and they were both instrumental in the establishment of the Ruaha as a NP)

Keith's father was Major Cormac who owned the Chimala Hotel(located where Chimala Mission Hospital is now) plus a couple of farms in the area.

Keith was a PH and in his off time he would hunt crocs. Skins were at a premium in those days. His boat was an eighteen inch pipe split into with caps wielded on the ends. He had outriggers to 55 gallon drums which also were utilized as storage. He would pole up to spotlighted crocs at night and shoot them. Then dive into the water and tie a rope off to a foot before they sank. He offered to take me with him multiple times, and I certainly wanted to go. Mom was afraid of the crocs and hippos. My Dad wasn't worried about crocs and hippos, just bilharzia. Unfortunately I never got to go.

Keith later had a farm in Masailand south of Arusha. I heard from a mutual friend that he passed away in the early 2000's.

Thanks for posting the photos. I would certainly like to see more if you get them.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Great pics, I really like these old black and whites of years gone by. It stirs your mind as a modern day hunter ...What was it like back then....1969, I was 10 and the only thing I knew of africa was where it was on globe or map.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
Keith Cormac was based out of Chimala. He lived about a mile from me when I was a kid. The hunt could have taken place anywhere but in 1969, most of his hunting took place on the Usangu Flats and the area that would touch the southeast and southwest corners of the Ruaha NP. He used to hunt in the area that would become the NP, but if memory serves me correct Ruaha became a NP in 1967. (George Rushby and Eric Balson were the local game wardens and they were both instrumental in the establishment of the Ruaha as a NP)

Keith's father was Major Cormac who owned the Chimala Hotel(located where Chimala Mission Hospital is now) plus a couple of farms in the area.

Keith was a PH and in his off time he would hunt crocs. Skins were at a premium in those days. His boat was an eighteen inch pipe split into with caps wielded on the ends. He had outriggers to 55 gallon drums which also were utilized as storage. He would pole up to spotlighted crocs at night and shoot them. Then dive into the water and tie a rope off to a foot before they sank. He offered to take me with him multiple times, and I certainly wanted to go. Mom was afraid of the crocs and hippos. My Dad wasn't worried about crocs and hippos, just bilharzia. Unfortunately I never got to go.

Keith later had a farm in Masailand south of Arusha. I heard from a mutual friend that he passed away in the early 2000's.

Thanks for posting the photos. I would certainly like to see more if you get them.

Hope this helps.

I have already forwarded this to my friend. Thank you so much. I have been assured he is scanning me more photos from his 1969 safari. I will post as soon as I receive.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Certainly a different time but that "Lion Lynching" picture bugs me for some reason.

First thing I thought was "they hung the cowardly lion from the Wizard Of Oz!"

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Artistry of Wildlife:
Great pics, I really like these old black and whites of years gone by. It stirs your mind as a modern day hunter ...What was it like back then....1969, I was 10 and the only thing I knew of africa was where it was on globe or map.

if you like old black and white pictures, i would strongly recommend you read Months of the Sun by Ian Nyschens. i just finished it and it is a fascinating look at what hunting( and ivory poaching) was like in the late 40's early 50's complete with black and white pictures. in those days, lions were considered vermin and shot on sight with no regrets. the book is an absolute must read when it comes to comparing hunting today versus hunting then. Mr Nyschens was a man who has been there- done that( he killed more elephants during his ivory hunting/poaching days than Karamojo Bell)!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

AlisaWheels:

Was Cormick's farm not close to Gerard Miller's?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fujotupu,

It nabours Gerhards farm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wowo:
Fujotupu,

Was not sure if they were neighbours but knew the farm was a stone's throw away. Spoke with Gerard this morning prior to posting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fujotupu,

P.S. If you add another "wo" to the current 2 you'll get a few chuckles from the TZ folks. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool post.

Gerard pointed Cormicks farm out to me on several occasions and if memory serves me correctly it was not fenced.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wowo is indeed abbreviated ;-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to store my kit on his farm. Did some training and due for a refresher course with the Mze

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

Feel your pain brother....

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
From my friend Jon Speed:

"Steve, I have been on 2 elephant hunts with keith on resident permits in 1970 in south massailand. This is the period i was helping the national parks finalizing the tarangire park boundries. I also was on hunt with keith in singida area . His last family farm was located near lolkisale mountain south of arusha when i visited him last in 1990 period. Keith was one hell of a bushman and a solid guy under pressure. I learned a lot in my time with him. One of the really classic tz professional hunters"

The 70s must have been a fantastic time to be up there........ Jon & others must have had an absolute ball in those days! Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think my dream vacation is time travel back to East Africa, I think even earlier than 60s and 70s. Maybe the turn of the century Smiler Go for a couple of years hunting!!

Great pictures!!

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
Very cool post.

Gerard pointed Cormicks farm out to me on several occasions and if memory serves me correctly it was not fenced.

Hence the difference between Gerard's farm and Cormick's. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wowo is indeed abbreviated ;-)

If you knew the true meaning of WoWoWo Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tupo
Mi najuwa mana ya hio jina!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tupo
Mi najuwa mana ya hio jina!

As in Jennifer Lopez? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

AlisaWheels:

Was Cormick's farm not close to Gerard Miller's?

fujotupu,

We left Chimala in 1970 and lost track of Keith. I don't know when he moved to Masailand.

I don't know Gerhard Miller but believe he lived close to Keith. In conversations I have had with Eric Balson about Keith and Mike Smalling, Gerhard's name has come up. I believe Balson and Miller are related by marriage. (I could be wrong on that) Eric Balson passed away earlier this year in Linden, Alberta.

Mike Smalling is another former PH from Chimala that lived about an hour away from Keith in Masailand. Do you know him?

All the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wowo confirmed Cormick to be Gerard's neighbour - I knew he was close by but not that close!

I never met Smalling but have heard of him and as far as Gerard goes, has lived in TZ all his life, wrote a book; both his late father and mother were Professional Hunters as is he.

for your personal interest:

https://www.trophyroombooks.co...s/miller_g_lives.pdf

His mother was the first ever lady to be granted a PH license and to this day still goes out buff hunting with Gerard.

For the recoil wimps:

Mama Miller (80?)tracks, stalks and shoots a .500 double like it was a toy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real pleasure to sit with the old timers and hear their stories.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerard is a big rally car driver in tz if I am not mistaken...he basically hunted in the same era as George Angiledes.

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ailsa,

I've met Mike Smalling a few times. Very quiet and reserved man. He's friend to the Miller family. Gerhard's late uncle, Hannes Wessels (also a respected PH in his daySmiler, and Mike were great friends. They used to go out hunting regularly on resident permits in Masailand. Almost right up until the old man passed away (H.Wessels). Mike does live approximately an hour from the Keith/Millers farms. Depending on the road conditions:-) Have lost touch and am not sure if he's still farming there.

Had the "privilege" of being the apprentice in camp. Western Tanzania 1998/9 one or two consecutive safari we had Danny McCallum, Gerhard Miller and Eric in camp. Great stories from another era.
All had stories of that special part of Tz, south western. Danny was actually born at what is today Lake Rukwa.
Eric was the regional warden for the entire Mbeya district. Which encompassed Chunya the area we were in. I've just remembered a very touching incident when Eric first arrived in Camp while being introduced to the crew we got round to the game scouts. The old timer among them, Andrew Kagombe (hard as nails old school scout), gave a crisp and stiff salute (something you don't see today)!! Andrew had been under Eric's charge as a youngster in the game department back then!! They still remembered each well. After perhaps 30 plus years!!
Eric, tells of how they finally got some really cunning man eaters on a bridge using kids/babies looked inside steel cage. Everything else had failed and the man eaters and caused absolute havoc. The rural people finally agreed to try this as a last attempt. I can't remember if they got them all but they definitely got one or two. I'm sure there's an account in Eric's book. I think the river was to Nzombe. (should have written this all down..)
Elsie Miller, Gerhard's mother, tells of Frank's (her late husband) obsession with getting a 150 pounder!!How it drove her crazy! How she was damn sure he'd walked away from one or two. This quest took them to many places but if memories serves me Frank concentrated much on his efforts in Masailand. He never did get one but I'm sure that in the happy hunting grounds he's still out there searching!

Many many wonderful and amazing stories..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerhard won the Tanzania Rally Championship in Morogoro Tz last year, 3rd time!! Over 61, out of practise (not entirely) in an older car...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ailsa,

Mike Smalling now lives in Njombe.

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Awesome photos. I hunted that area in 03 and 06. Thanks for sharing.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
Wowo confirmed Cormick to be Gerard's neighbour - I knew he was close by but not that close!

I never met Smalling but have heard of him and as far as Gerard goes, has lived in TZ all his life, wrote a book; both his late father and mother were Professional Hunters as is he.

for your personal interest:

https://www.trophyroombooks.co...s/miller_g_lives.pdf

His mother was the first ever lady to be granted a PH license and to this day still goes out buff hunting with Gerard.

For the recoil wimps:

Mama Miller (80?)tracks, stalks and shoots a .500 double like it was a toy.

Thanks for the information. I will order Miller's book.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ailsa,

I've met Mike Smalling a few times. Very quiet and reserved man. He's friend to the Miller family. Gerhard's late uncle, Hannes Wessels (also a respected PH in his daySmiler, and Mike were great friends. They used to go out hunting regularly on resident permits in Masailand. Almost right up until the old man passed away (H.Wessels). Mike does live approximately an hour from the Keith/Millers farms. Depending on the road conditions:-) Have lost touch and am not sure if he's still farming there.

Had the "privilege" of being the apprentice in camp. Western Tanzania 1998/9 one or two consecutive safari we had Danny McCallum, Gerhard Miller and Eric in camp. Great stories from another era.
All had stories of that special part of Tz, south western. Danny was actually born at what is today Lake Rukwa.
Eric was the regional warden for the entire Mbeya district. Which encompassed Chunya the area we were in. I've just remembered a very touching incident when Eric first arrived in Camp while being introduced to the crew we got round to the game scouts. The old timer among them, Andrew Kagombe (hard as nails old school scout), gave a crisp and stiff salute (something you don't see today)!! Andrew had been under Eric's charge as a youngster in the game department back then!! They still remembered each well. After perhaps 30 plus years!!
Eric, tells of how they finally got some really cunning man eaters on a bridge using kids/babies looked inside steel cage. Everything else had failed and the man eaters and caused absolute havoc. The rural people finally agreed to try this as a last attempt. I can't remember if they got them all but they definitely got one or two. I'm sure there's an account in Eric's book. I think the river was to Nzombe. (should have written this all down..)
Elsie Miller, Gerhard's mother, tells of Frank's (her late husband) obsession with getting a 150 pounder!!How it drove her crazy! How she was damn sure he'd walked away from one or two. This quest took them to many places but if memories serves me Frank concentrated much on his efforts in Masailand. He never did get one but I'm sure that in the happy hunting grounds he's still out there searching!

Many many wonderful and amazing stories..

Thanks for the update on Mike. Yes, he is a reserved individual. I knew he had another farm by Njombe but didn't realize he had moved there.

Being in a camp with McCallum, Miller and Balson certainly had to be a privilege. I would have loved to be able to be there. They certainly are memories to cherish.

Love the story about Balson's old game scout. Reminds me of the story of von Lettow Vorbecks return to Tanzania in the 1950's. It certainly was a different place and time.

I try to stop by and see McCallum at DSC every year.

The quest for a 150 pounder is neat. Thanks for sharing. Did Balson tell you the story of Prince Bernard turning down the second largest elephant ever shot because he was to majestic? The elephant was poached(in Rungwa I believe) a couple of years later and weighed just over 200 lbs per side green. My copy of Rowland Ward shows them to be 192/189 after drying. Do you know if the Tanzania Game Department has them on display in either Dar or Arusha? If so I would like to stop by and see them sometime.

The following is a thread that shows Bwana Balson's obituary from an Alberta paper if you are interested.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...651089991#7651089991

Thanks for sharing your story.

All the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Mike Smalling related to a Marshall Smalling?

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

Feel your pain brother....

Zahir's great uncle was Omari Sherdell. Omari was a great guy and friend of my fathers. We hunted the Usangu with him out of Rujewa occasionally. Zahir's father was Hassan Mulla and he would come along occasionally.

If I remember correct Omari shot a bull that went 137/90's on the Usangu in the 60's. I used to have a photo of the ivory but can't find it now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
Is Mike Smalling related to a Marshall Smalling?

Marshall is Mike's older brother. He was a PH for a number of years. Do you know him?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Met him at the Conventions back in the 90s.
Nice guy..he wanted me to hunt with him at Usangu...I never did hunt with him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
Met him at the Conventions back in the 90s.
Nice guy..he wanted me to hunt with him at Usangu...I never did hunt with him.

Marshall is a nice guy. I lost track of him for decades. I believe he is retired from PH'ing. He was living in Dar the last I heard.