THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    1969 Tanzania Safari, (More pics added)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1969 Tanzania Safari, (More pics added)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
I spoke with the gentleman that is represented in the pictures today. He indicated that he took
the rhino along with a long list of other species in the same area. All of his taxidermy work was done by Rowland Ward
and is still in great shape. His son, (my neighbor) has the lion rug, elephant tusks, buffalo and several other species so I can vouch
for their condition. His dad is a little nervous about this internet thing and does not want his name out there.
He is, none the less, excited to hear that someone actually knew his PH and is familiar with the area on which he hunted.
He is putting together a complete list of all trophies taken on this hunt. I was surprised to hear him include Roan.
You guys have sparked life of an eighty-nine year old gentleman and are allowing him the opportunity to dig up
memories from long ago.
Thank you for all the feedback. I am getting more joy from this posting than anything I have done for a long time.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RickCap
posted Hide Post
I hunted this area in 2005. I hunted in the Usangu Game Concession which is now part of the Ruaha National Park. I hunted out of both the Kimbe camp up in the highlands and the Maji Moto (hot water) camp along the Ruaha River. The scenery, paricualry in Kimbe, and the game was spectacular.

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate NY, USA | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow some amazing information here. Wish i had known there was someone i could maybe have called on in Njombe when working that way (down by the lake out of Ludewa (sometimes written as Rudewa)). Had my 50th birthday there!

I will have to order that book.

Have driven the Ruaha quite a few times. The road now is excellent. So many Baobab trees.

I rember reading about Rushby and the Njombe lions, when he was based in Mbeya? Some fairly ordinary country between Mbeya and Makimbakao.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Damn, what a thread??

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim:
I've enjoyed reading all this.
Those pictures are great.
The one of the buff and kudu are exactly the way I like to see them posed. Sure a lot better than the hunter hiding way behind and ducking down as is common these days.

Congratulate the old fellow on having such a great hunt, hope his memories are clear as a bell.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great...
:-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Thanks for posting on the gentleman's behalf. Great photos and stories. I spoke to Gerhard Miller he was great friends with Keith and says he was a formidable PH and a true natural.
The two of them went to Zambia together when hunting was closed in Tz. Caused abit of a stir with the Zambian old timers :-)

Rockdoc,

Great country back there. Most people tend to focus on the North/Masailand..
It was wild back then and still a little today..

I haven't gotten round to getting Rushby's or Eric's book. Another to add to the list would be Gerhard's Book. As its about his family of hunters and the old days. There's an old picture of elephant bulls migrating taken from a hill, quite a sight! His father, uncle and mother. Very interesting reading. "The Lives of a Professional Hunting Family"
Leon

One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wowo:
Tim,

Thanks for posting on the gentleman's behalf. Great photos and stories. I spoke to Gerhard Miller he was great friends with Keith and says he was a formidable PH and a true natural.
The two of them went to Zambia together when hunting was closed in Tz. Caused abit of a stir with the Zambian old timers :-)

Rockdoc,

Great country back there. Most people tend to focus on the North/Masailand..
It was wild back then and still a little today..

I haven't gotten round to getting Rushby's or Eric's book. Another to add to the list would be Gerhard's Book. As its about his family of hunters and the old days. There's an old picture of elephant bulls migrating taken from a hill, quite a sight! His father, uncle and mother. Very interesting reading. "The Lives of a Professional Hunting Family"
Leon

As another point of interest the guy holding the leg of the rhino is Keith Cormac

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Wed, 21 May 2014 04:02:54 GMT-0700', '21 May 2014 16:02')+'</nobr>');21 May 2014 16:0221 May 2014 16:02Hide PostWowo confirmed Cormick to be Gerard's neighbour - I knew he was close by but not that close!I never met Smalling but have heard of him and as far as Gerard goes, has lived in TZ all his life, wrote a book; both his late father and mother were Professional Hunters as is he.for your personal interest:https://www.trophyroombooks.co...s/miller_g_lives.pdfHis mother was the first ever lady to be granted a PH license and to this day still goes out buff hunting with Gerard.For the recoil wimps:Mama Miller (80?)tracks, stalks and shoots a .500 double like it was a toy.

I have had the pleasure of spending time with Gerard's mom on his farm. Loved every minute of it.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit of additional information I just thought of:

If I remember correct, in Rushby's book by Bulpin, Rushby says that Major Cormac, Keith's father was the first Scot or GB citizen to finish the marathon in the Olympics.

I also heard something along these lines from an oldtimer who new Major Cormac in the 1950's.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickCap:
I hunted this area in 2005. I hunted in the Usangu Game Concession which is now part of the Ruaha National Park. I hunted out of both the Kimbe camp up in the highlands and the Maji Moto (hot water) camp along the Ruaha River. The scenery, paricualry in Kimbe, and the game was spectacular.

Glad you had a good hunt.

I am familiar with maji moto but not with the Kimbe camp. Can you describe where this was located?

Thanks.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote