Find
Notify
Tools

Botswana Ele finished?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted
We are hunting in July this year with Mark & George Kyriacou again. Apparently this is the last year for ele in Botswana- it is closing next year. Anyone else heard this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard they had 2 more years which I interpreted to mean 2013 was it. I have no idea if it is true.

I am heading to Botswana in August for elephant. Better try for the big one while we still can.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That's what happens when you let people of dimished cranial capacity run anything. If this is indees true, the elephants will destroy the habitat then push on to neghboring countries and start that process there. Hopefully that will raise quotas and lower prices Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
I think to some degree they will stay open, but I've heard CT 1, CT2 and CT3 are closing after this season, CH1/CH2 (Butler's baby) is likely closing after 2013 and Johan Calitz' NG32 concession is coming to a close after this year, plus a ton of other areas I'm sure.

If it doesn't close all together, I can promise prices on the remaining quota will go up. Go while you can!

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
We leave to hunt with Graeme Pollock in NG 47 in 28 days......but who is counting ??

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Truly sad news... another country headed the way of Kenya. Destructive policy for their wildlife and their economy in the long run!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is a long term benefit to sustainable hunting, if for several years to a decade the tourists see the progressive destruction of habitat followed by a couple seasons of seeing dead elephants from starvation.

A similar situation occurred related to poaching in Cameroon, and now WWF is backing hunting and the anti-poaching effect it has had in the southeast.

The problem is that long term benefit does not always coincide with short term benefit. I am hopeful that this will help justify hunting as having an indirect but real conservation benefit with actual photographic proof. I just don't know how many hunters will care enough to actually spend the money to photo safari and in which case we will only have the non hunters to rely on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
I think to some degree they will stay open, but I've heard CT 1, CT2 and CT3 are closing after this season, CH1/CH2 (Butler's baby) is likely closing after 2013 and Johan Calitz' NG32 concession is coming to a close after this year, plus a ton of other areas I'm sure.

Greg

Since we are booked in CT2 June 2013, I hope someone will confirm this or advise otherwise.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
quote:

Greg

Since we are booked in CT2 June 2013, I hope someone will confirm this or advise otherwise.

I'll look into it with Johan and get back with you.

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Maybe it is a long term benefit to sustainable hunting, if for several years to a decade the tourists see the progressive destruction of habitat followed by a couple seasons of seeing dead elephants from starvation.

The antis never admit it. They will always find other excuses for their failures. and the po-lo-mo believe what ever they are told.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
quote:

Greg

I'll look into it with Johan and get back with you.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Have you heard anything further?

Thanks

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The antis will come up with their usual idiotic suggestion of contraceptives for elephants ,or on one nature program a vet giving a dog baboon a testicle cut and tie ,what happens when you let the lunatics run the asylum

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote