Tools

"one of us" Remembered
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nick. The "Country Boy's" posts are greatly missed on this forum.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Having had the pleasure of Geo's aquaintance on several occasions I can only say he was one hell of a man. The last time I had spoken to him he had just taken a certain 10 point on our own (AR) "Harry's" ranch... and he was rather tickled about that!

RIP George.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I too, had the great pleasure of meeting George. A wonderful man! I always looked forward to seeing him in Dallas.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Never did speak to George, but did speak to his wife...I believe MIMs hunted with George in Africa...
His book was a pleasure to read...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was not fortunate enough to have met George. I was amazed, however, when he carefully and patiently answered my newbie questions on AR. Was a great gift.

He was a genuine gentleman ... I miss his posts.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for remembering Mr. Hoffman.

Way cool!

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the good fortune of having Geo. for a good friend and long before I was fortunate to have him as my PH for 21 days in TZ on my first safari. Geo. was always included in my family deer hunt at our Mertzon, TX ranch Thanksgiving week. Geo. and I were also known for scouting for deer from this hiltop location. Most of the time that was right after lunch and we would have the windows on his Toyota cracked a bit and the seat back reclined just a tad. We were never attacked by a deer thank goodness. Big Grin
I drove to Sonora to see Geo. just three days before he died. We had a good visit and a few grins however we both knew it was our last time together. We had many a gun conversation and took some good game while hunting with each other. The family hunt has always been fun but we sure miss the little fat man who could drink an orange Fanta soda in warp speed.
Mary still lives in the house in Sonora and someday I hope to get her to the ranch to hunt. She is no stranger to a rifle and has many fine African animals to her credit.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Mims, that's a downright, mighty fine tribute to your friend and our fellow AR member.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think of George when ever the subject of a .416 caliber comes up. I miss my discussions with him.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good Show, Mims. thumb

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
hope he is enjoying his safari in the sky...may he rest in peace

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote