New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Lechwe
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Back in the “Old” days in the Okavango Delta, Botswana, even before game scouts were required, the Red Lechwe populations were vast (probably just as large today), they were the game of choice for camp meat and leopard bait. Trophy animals were hunted last on safari because they were so plentiful… The only animal species of such numbers I have encountered while hunting were the Black Lechwe in Bangweuela Swamps. Simply amazing!

Recently I saw the trophy fee prices for Red Lechwe hunted in its natural habitat and I was shocked. Of course, those “Old” days’ trophy fees on all animals has certainly changed. Makes sense though, especially for Red Lechwe, as I believe they are only indigenous to places in Botswana and a few places in Zambia. With Botswana closed it now limits hunting availability to Zambia. The game farms in South Africa, Namibia and even Texas do offer introduced Red Lechwe hunting.

Just for fun (and to keep my memory bank full) here are a few photos of Red Lechwe my husband and I took in 1996 and 1997.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Awesome "back in the day" pics. beer

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7622 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! I agree with frostbit, I really enjoy going back to the beginning posts of this forum and reading some of the older hunt reports.

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great pics and a glimpse back to the "good old days"!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Great memories. I managed to hunt Botswana for the first time the last year it was open. I've never seen such a concentration of wildlife. I was hunting elephant, but the numbers of buffalo, zebra, lechwe, impala, etc were amazing. Nothing, however, topped the number of giraffes. I wish I could have experienced it when the cats and other game were on quota. In a few short days we had two daytime leopard sightings. It is a very special place.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Beautiful trophies.
Thanks for posting these.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Great pictures. Like most people, I wish I had gone sooner, when what seemed like a lot of money was actually a lot less than you can do the hunts for now.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great pics.

It's nice to see pictures of safaris from the distant past. Well, two decades anyway...

Posts: 2623 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
Thanks for the great pics.

It's nice to see pictures of safaris from the distant past. Well, two decades anyway...

Weird! Seems like yesterday! Take heed!

Love to share my memories with AR members!

Best regards! D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fine lady with a beautiful smile.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great memories and some fine trophies you have there Darin.

There is only one GMA Kasonso Busanga in Zambia that can offer Red Lechwe and they are very expensive.

They used to occur in the middle Kafue where I am and there is talk of re introducing them there.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Special to do those trips together...

Whilst we are down memory lane do you care to share details of the rifles used and the distances at which they were taken? Only if you want to of course!

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ronnie McFarlane

Posts: 1915 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Darin,

We shot one there in '04. It was so wet we went from Maun to Ivory camp by boat, we were walking around in knee deep water and you could see the bream swimming out in front of the Cruiser as we crossed from one semi dry spot to another. The lechwe were spread far and wide so I shot just a representative one and nothing like what you and Bob took. Nice trophies BTW.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
red lechwe are still on quota in certain Caprivi concessions , although in small number, IIRC.

Posts: 13389 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Nice photos. It reminded me of the Chobe lechwe I shot with my father back in 1983

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:

Whilst we are down memory lane do you care to share details of the rifles used and the distances at which they were taken? Only if you want to of course!

Actually that was the only times we used our custom built .308s Ruger models 77 (Robar--Robby Barrkman) with 180 gr ammo. After that we learned we could shoot everything with .375 and .416. -- .308s only get to go deer and elk hunting now.

One day I shot 4 lechwe for leopard baits. Ranges for me were 100-150 yds. My husband's lechwe was the longest shot, about 185 yds.

Best regards, Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
Ronnie McFarlane

Yes!!! In 1996 I booked with Ronnie, but mid-safari elephant opened up in Botswana and Ronnie arranged for Terry Palmer to finish my first safari. Ian and Vira McFarlane, Ronnies Dad & Mom, also joined us after Ronnie went elephant hunting. In 1997 Ronnie hunted the entire 14 days with us.

Do you know Ronnie or the family? Ronnie's brother, Alistar, was rather infamous.

Best regards, Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
red lechwe are still on quota in certain Caprivi concessions , although in small number, IIRC.

I didn't realize that! Are they pricey?

Thanks, Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
Nice photos. It reminded me of the Chobe lechwe I shot with my father back in 1983

WOW 1983!!!! You remember the "good old days" too!

Best regards, Darin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
Ronnie McFarlane

Yes!!! In 1996 I booked with Ronnie, but mid-safari elephant opened up in Botswana and Ronnie arranged for Terry Palmer to finish my first safari. Ian and Vira McFarlane, Ronnies Dad & Mom, also joined us after Ronnie went elephant hunting. In 1997 Ronnie hunted the entire 14 days with us.

Do you know Ronnie or the family? Ronnie's brother, Alistar, was rather infamous.

Best regards, Darin

No remember meeting him at the shows in the early 90's.

Posts: 1915 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

WOW 1983!!!! You remember the "good old days" too!

Best regards, Darin

Yes, I was 12 then. Terry Palmer was also our PH

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks, Darin

Darin,

I hunted one a couple years in the Caprivi. They are not easy to hunt there, quite a lot of poaching pressure during the high water seasons. As I recall the Trophy fee was not outrageous, but the permits were scarce. If you like I can PM the outfitter I used there, occasionally they can offer them.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's really cool!!!!! tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeE:
quote:
quote:

Thanks, Darin

Darin,

I hunted one a couple years in the Caprivi. They are not easy to hunt there, quite a lot of poaching pressure during the high water seasons. As I recall the Trophy fee was not outrageous, but the permits were scarce. If you like I can PM the outfitter I used there, occasionally they can offer them.

Folks here may be interested in prices and tag availability. The "Red Lechwe" gods have blessed me with more than my fair share.

Glad to hear that there are a few natural habitats huntable. Sorry to hear the poachers are putting so much pressure on them. As I said there were literally thousands of them grazing on golf course like flats.

Best regards, Darin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Karl Stumpfe in his Bwabwata concession has 1-2 on quota. Don't know the price but they aren't cheap.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13389 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can recall when Red Lechwe were $400. but then a 10 day two buffalo safari in Tanzania was $8,500. that included 5 PG animals.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I can recall when Red Lechwe were $400. but then a 10 day two buffalo safari in Tanzania was $8,500. that included 5 PG animals.

Good Old Days!!!!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
So true, Darin. Congrats on your success!

I had a chance at them in the Caprivi when hunting with Vaughan Fulton in 2009. He asked if I wanted one. I said sure, I guess so.

We were primarily hunting elephant and buffalo. But a few days later, we saw a beautiful red lechwe ram on the banks of the Chobe, unfortunately on the Botswana side.

I casually mentioned how beautiful he was and how things would be different for all concerned if he was in Namibia, on our side.

Then I off-handedly asked Vaughan what the trophy fee was.

Vaughan: "$4,000 US."

Me: "You've gotta be sh#ttin' me?!"

Vaughan: "No, Mike, I'm not sh#ttin' you."

Lechwe hunt over!!! Big Grin

But they sure are lovely.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
So true, Darin. Congrats on your success!

I had a chance at them in the Caprivi when hunting with Vaughan Fulton in 2009. He asked if I wanted one. I said sure, I guess so.

We were primarily hunting elephant and buffalo. But a few days later, we saw a beautiful red lechwe ram on the banks of the Chobe, unfortunately on the Botswana side.

I casually mentioned how beautiful he was and how things would be different for all concerned if he was in Namibia, on our side.

Then I off-handedly asked Vaughan what the trophy fee was.

Vaughan: "$4,000 US."

Me: "You've gotta be sh#ttin' me?!"

Vaughan: "No, Mike, I'm not sh#ttin' you."

Lechwe hunt over!!! Big Grin

But they sure are lovely.

Now that is funny clap

Darin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:

Actually that was the only times we used our custom built .308s Ruger models 77 (Robar--Robby Barrkman) with 180 gr ammo. After that we learned we could shoot everything with .375 and .416. -- .308s only get to go deer and elk hunting now.

One day I shot 4 lechwe for leopard baits. Ranges for me were 100-150 yds. My husband's lechwe was the longest shot, about 185 yds.

Best regards, Darin

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful pictures amd obviously great memories.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There are some huge ranches in Texas that have free range or near free range Red Lechwe in far south Texas on the Yturria.

Like $4000.

About the going rate for a trophy fee in Africa and you get the meat.

https://www.wildlifesystems.co...cpricelist_20173.pdf

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter Chipman has a $5000 deal for a 1 day hunt.

https://www.diana-hunting.com/pdf/90299-3.pdf

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These guys are $3400 trophy fee plus daily rate:

http://www.africanskyhunting.co.za/pricelist.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a late season hunt in 1988 with Allistair as my ph. Ronnie was supposed to be my ph but he had recently fed his arms to a lion to keep it from eating his face! If I remember the story correctly, he started off by feeding the lion his rifle first. Good story!!
Lechwe quota had been shot for the year and I wanted one badly. I remember 3 heads shot by early clients that were all over 34", absolute monsters. This was the first year the camp had opened for hunting and the game was unbelievable. I wouldn't shoot a huge kudu because I had already shot one but it was estimated to be over 70". I can still see that kudu in my dreams. He was with 9 other bulls and easily over a foot taller than the others as they eased across the floodplain. I flipped my safety off twice but knew it wasn't right so I passed. Allistair wouldn't talk to me for two days he was so pissed off. He only told me later that they had plenty kudu left on quota.
I'm still waiting on a lechwe.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmagltd.:
I had a late season hunt in 1988 with Allistair as my ph. Ronnie was supposed to be my ph but he had recently fed his arms to a lion to keep it from eating his face! If I remember the story correctly, he started off by feeding the lion his rifle first. Good story!!
Lechwe quota had been shot for the year and I wanted one badly. I remember 3 heads shot by early clients that were all over 34", absolute monsters. This was the first year the camp had opened for hunting and the game was unbelievable. I wouldn't shoot a huge kudu because I had already shot one but it was estimated to be over 70". I can still see that kudu in my dreams. He was with 9 other bulls and easily over a foot taller than the others as they eased across the floodplain. I flipped my safety off twice but knew it wasn't right so I passed. Allistair wouldn't talk to me for two days he was so pissed off. He only told me later that they had plenty kudu left on quota.
I'm still waiting on a lechwe.

Sevenmagltd;

Which camp were you in?

And yes, I definitely remember hearing about Ronnie's lion encounter. Wounded by a client and ultimately his main tracker, Baeti, was able to pick up Ronnie's rifle and shoot it. "Good old days"!

I was told that every cat hunter in Botswana had been hit by a cat. Both Ronnie and Terry Palmer bore the scars! I related that information to a PH in Tanzania the night before he was hit by a leopard I had not shot well. I settled the score later.

I also assumed that all African countries were abundant with the herds of game like Botswana. I have certainly found out that isn't the case. I rarely passed up shooting opportunities after being enlightened. Your Kudu will stay in your dreams, as well as Alistar's reaction.

Please share some photos if you have any from that safari! We didn't take a lot of pics like we do now.

Best regards, Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Peter Chipman has a $5000 deal for a 1 day hunt.

https://www.diana-hunting.com/pdf/90299-3.pdf

Looks like the Kafue Lechwe are getting a good trophy fee, but are like the Black Lechwe in Banguela so numerous one day is all you need. I understand the antis want these areas closed down to hunting!

Thanks for the info, Darin

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly Terry Palmer got nailed by an unwounded leopard as they drove underneath a tree

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I remember correctly Terry Palmer got nailed by an unwounded leopard as they drove underneath a tree

Sam;

I thought he was doing the leopard hunt as commonly done back then, chasing with hunting rig. The leopard focused on him and jumped into the high seat!!! Yikes!

Best regards, Darin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting out of Jao Camp. All those photos were on 35mm film and they are priceless! I was in the prime of life going on my first safari! Now, I'm on extended warranty running on fumes. LOL
As a side note, I fell in love with those lechwe to the extent that I now raise them on my place here in Texas. Just had another baby a couple of weeks ago and expecting more soon. Cheers!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote