Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
If I remember correctly Terry Palmer got nailed by an unwounded leopard as they drove underneath a tree

Sam;

I thought he was doing the leopard hunt as commonly done back then, chasing with hunting rig. The leopard focused on him and jumped into the high seat!!! Yikes!

Best regards, Darin

The way I heard it was that they weren't hunting leopard at the time. They happened to drive under a tree and a leopard dropped down on him while he was sitting on the high seat. I heard the story over 20 years ago, and my memory isn't all that great, so your probably correct on the incident.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in camp with Ronnie, Alister, Terry and Mark Tout. He beat the leopard from Terry as it had come up over the bonnet. Mark also had to help the shit out of clients pants.Mark hunted on crutches as he had leg blew by land mine. Mark was my hunter and I had my lechwe as # 2 for quite a spell and even have picture in record book. That was first of 11 trips for me (1985). Alister and his lovely wife Pauline spent one night with me in Missouri. He damn certainly deserves his reputation, he worked hard for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by katiesguns:
I was in camp with Ronnie, Alister, Terry and Mark Tout. He beat the leopard from Terry as it had come up over the bonnet. Mark also had to help the shit out of clients pants.Mark hunted on crutches as he had leg blew by land mine. Mark was my hunter and I had my lechwe as # 2 for quite a spell and even have picture in record book. That was first of 11 trips for me (1985). Alister and his lovely wife Pauline spent one night with me in Missouri. He damn certainly deserves his reputation, he worked hard for it.

Thanks for clarifying Terry and the leopard event! Those guys were definitely in the "good old days". WOW!

Congratulations on your lechwe! He must have been a monster! I don't suppose you have pictures you could post.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
If I remember correctly Terry Palmer got nailed by an unwounded leopard as they drove underneath a tree

Sam;

I thought he was doing the leopard hunt as commonly done back then, chasing with hunting rig. The leopard focused on him and jumped into the high seat!!! Yikes!

Best regards, Darin

Looks like my story was just a story Wink

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Looks like my story was just a story Wink[/QUOTE]

Sam; Isn't that what most Hunting Stories are?

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by katiesguns:

Very interesting and thanks for that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
So true, Darin. Congrats on your success!

I had a chance at them in the Caprivi when hunting with Vaughan Fulton in 2009. He asked if I wanted one. I said sure, I guess so.

We were primarily hunting elephant and buffalo. But a few days later, we saw a beautiful red lechwe ram on the banks of the Chobe, unfortunately on the Botswana side.

I casually mentioned how beautiful he was and how things would be different for all concerned if he was in Namibia, on our side.

Then I off-handedly asked Vaughan what the trophy fee was.

Vaughan: "$4,000 US."

Me: "You've gotta be sh#ttin' me?!"

Vaughan: "No, Mike, I'm not sh#ttin' you."

Lechwe hunt over!!! Big Grin

But they sure are lovely.

Mike,

My wife and I stayed a few nights in Vaughan's camp on the way to Vic Falls on our 2009 driving tour shortly after your hunt and he mentioned he had one on quota. An outfitter friend in Windhoek had mentioned to me earlier in the week that he had a client coming who needed a Red Lechwe for some special recognition and a game ranch one would not due. I got on the sat phone with him and he and his client drove up to hunt that lechwe a short time later and got one. Vaughan never charged us for staying in camp. What's the commission on a $4,000 lechwe? Big Grin

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
George, I never knew that Vaughan filled that quota. Kinda makes me feel like even more of a cheapskate for complaining about the price! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darin,

I had the pleasure of hunting with Ronnie in 2008.
It was truly a pleasure to spend 10 days with Ronnie in the bush.
He told me at that time this would be his last hunt.
We hunted hard and were rewarded with this 49" old brute....and a Kudu!
See you soon.

Steve
[IMG:top] [/IMG]

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve416:
Darin,

I had the pleasure of hunting with Ronnie in 2008.
It was truly a pleasure to spend 10 days with Ronnie in the bush.
He told me at that time this would be his last hunt.
We hunted hard and were rewarded with this 49" old brute....and a Kudu!
See you soon.

Steve

Steve,

Which camp did you hunt from?

Wow what a buffalo!!!!! Totally amazing!!!'that Kudu wasn't to shabby either!

Did you hunt any plains game?

The McFarlanes are part of Botswana history!

Seems like you and I have crossed paths more than once! Can't wait until the next time!!

Can't wait, Darin

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Serious buffalo Steve.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote