posted Hide Post
btt

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
btt

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Frank has done good work, I made my reservation a few minutes ago. However, the desk did not seem to be aware of everything. You may want to keep this forum open to quote everything to them. coffee

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't really find that surprising. Like I said, last year they had lost my reservation. I spoke with someone on the phone to make it and luckily they sent an email confirmation. I had all that with me, so they found a room. They were accomodating, just took a while to get checked in.

David

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitely make sure you communicate all the details; I have also spoken to two different guys there, & it's been a little confusing. MAKE SURE you get a confirmation # as advised by x2mosg, & insist on the rate that I have mentioned above.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I booked at the Hilton last night. It's a little pricier than Harras' in Reno earlier this year, but good Lord you make up for it in lower admission fees to DSC than SCI!

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Folks:

Traditionally we have had two AR events. One, a dinner or whatever on Friday and the 107th Birthday Party on Saturday.... It ain't really a birthday, but an excuse to bring your favorite drink or whatever and stand around and lie about stuff.

In the past, I have gone to the liquor store and stocked up on about $250 worth of soft drinks, wine, spirits, beer, etc. along with cups, ice, mixers, chips, etc. It isn't too difficult but it'll take up most of Saturday afternoon getting ready. Attendees put money in a hat as their good character directed.

The main reason for the Comfort Inn is that it has a "party" room that is really cheap and easy to clean up (with thanks to those who always help!). We moved motels once when we discovered that they wanted a tipping fee or to sell the drinks at a bar they set up... and problems with the licensing.

Anyway.... I'm kind of in the air as to my health. I think I'll be just fine, but the last thing I need is to worry about making reservations, etc...

So... If you've enjoyed the Saturday Night party and want to arrange it (not very hard... you just need transport, a credit card and faith in your fellow AR guys to cough up your expenses)... p.m. me and I'll tell you what I did and where closest good liquor store is, etc.

I hope someone will do it. I know the PH's look forward to coming and we had a dozen last year along with about 5 booking agents.

I look forward to a contact???

If you notice, I have two ID braclets on. One from the admission for the pacemaker.. and the other from the night prior when my old friend, Mr. Kidney Stone, came another %^&$%^&#ing time to visit me. Damn those things hurt!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge: Die Ou Jagter (Ed) & I have been in communication about the Saturday night party, & we'll cover all the planning so we can continue the tradition. We'll probably E-Mail you a few times for guidance, but we'll make sure it happens. You take it easy - good-looking women are tough on us old guys ...... FRANK

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Judge: Really enjoyed everything you did last year. Take it easy and get well.
Guys: If additional help is needed, let me know.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I'll be more than happy to pitch in and help. Frank, PM me on what I can do when you guys get a plan together.
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there an email address for the folks at the Comfort Inn some one overseas could use and get the same rates?
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Robert, This is a link to the hotel and address

http://maps.live.com/localsearch/details.aspx?lid=YN826...nsPhBkYp02&mkt=en-us

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Folks:

Traditionally we have had two AR events. One, a dinner or whatever on Friday and the 107th Birthday Party on Saturday.... It ain't really a birthday, but an excuse to bring your favorite drink or whatever and stand around and lie about stuff.

In the past, I have gone to the liquor store and stocked up on about $250 worth of soft drinks, wine, spirits, beer, etc. along with cups, ice, mixers, chips, etc. It isn't too difficult but it'll take up most of Saturday afternoon getting ready. Attendees put money in a hat as their good character directed.

The main reason for the Comfort Inn is that it has a "party" room that is really cheap and easy to clean up (with thanks to those who always help!). We moved motels once when we discovered that they wanted a tipping fee or to sell the drinks at a bar they set up... and problems with the licensing.

Anyway.... I'm kind of in the air as to my health. I think I'll be just fine, but the last thing I need is to worry about making reservations, etc...

So... If you've enjoyed the Saturday Night party and want to arrange it (not very hard... you just need transport, a credit card and faith in your fellow AR guys to cough up your expenses)... p.m. me and I'll tell you what I did and where closest good liquor store is, etc.

I hope someone will do it. I know the PH's look forward to coming and we had a dozen last year along with about 5 booking agents.

I look forward to a contact???

If you notice, I have two ID braclets on. One from the admission for the pacemaker.. and the other from the night prior when my old friend, Mr. Kidney Stone, came another %^&$%^&#ing time to visit me. Damn those things hurt!

JudgeG great to hear from you and see that you are still in good spirits. Unfortunately you may not be able to take in any "spirits" for a while but I wish you well and hope to see you standing tall by January.
BtW, If memory serves and you are wearing a gown similar to my own experiences, I hope the weather is warm 'cuz otherwise your backside must be feeling mighty chilled in that chair.
If its warm you may be feelin' sticky!
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've had my pacemaker for over two years now and I feel better with it. It's nice to not have to undress in the airport security lines. They have to pat you down now! Much faster!

Ernest, I hope you are feeling better soon!

I look forward to seeing you all in January in Dallas! There are very few things in life that give me such joy as being able to visit with good people at the DSC. I am honored to be among such good friends!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RVL III: If you don't get anywhere by E-Mailing the Comfort Inn, let me know, & I'll secure a room for you ..... FRANK

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG, Good to see you post. We've all been concerned as you know. You're a big part of this little community. It's good to know you've made it through surgery and seem to be doing well. Here's to a fast recovery and seeing you in Dallas in January.

David Walker

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Judge,
It's good to see you're still kicking. Thanks for the update and most of all thanks for starting the AR party tradition at DSC.

Just about the only thing that makes the Comfort Inn worthwhile is the availability of the party room for Saturday night. The reason everyone started staying there is because of the party room and the fact that they offered room rates $20-30/night below the nice hotels closer to the DSC exhibition hall. This year, it looks like the Comfort Inn's rates are just barely under the Renaissance Hotel and the Renaissance is a whole lot nicer and within easy walking distance of the show.

The AAA rate at the Renaissance is $107/night and they have other rates starting at about $119/night. Self parking is free.

I've had a lot of fun the last couple of years at the Comfort Inn. The Birthday Bash is always a lot of fun and I've had a ball staying up 'til 2 AM watching retreever relive his elephant hunt. This year however I think I'll stay at the Renaissance and commute to the Comfort Inn for the party.

The best part of the whole DSC show this year is that I won't be selling raffle tickets or otherwise groveling for donations. Everyone is safe, so please don't be afraid to talk to me anymore.

See ya'll in Big-D!

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
btt

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
This year however I think I'll stay at the Renaissance and commute to the Comfort Inn for the party.

See ya'll in Big-D!

My plan as well.

Mike

Posts: 21682 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm booked at the Comfort Inn. Didn't have to ask for the special rate. I told them Jan. 9 and 10 and he quoted me $109.99 without mention of the DSC or AR. Guess he's been getting a lot of requests for these dates lately. Anyway, I'm in. What do I need to bring to the b-day party. How old is Ray this year?

David

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
We'll be at the Anatole. See you guys there! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For safety sake I'm booked at the Renaissance. If I don't get run over in the parking lot between the hotel and the show I'm pretty safe there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,
Wine, women, and song. All things in moderation. Hope you get better soon. I'm trying to work out the details to attend now.
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge,
I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles.
I do hope you are feeling better soon. Looking forward to hearing some great stories at Dallas!
Melody

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Die Ou Jagter & I are getting together along with a few other AR members on Sept. 13th to do a little shooting & eating, and we'll do some planning for the Saturday night party then. If anyone is interested in helping with the party - providing something, bringing something the night of the party, any ideas - contact one of us before then; we welcome any & all help ....... thanks.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Frank,
I'm driving up from Houston and will bring an ice chest or two with beer, mixers and ice. I'll also bring a bottle or two of something appropriate.

Let me know if you need anything special; I'd look forward to helping out any way I can.

Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Judge, Hadn't heard you were in the hospital - best wishes for a successful recovery in short order.

By the way you are lookin a little skinny - need anyone to smuggle some real food to you?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to join the merry band of AR there at the Comfort. This is in anticipation that the hazing pulls short of sweirlies and mandatory streaking. I have booked a room, but Habib, who manned the desk would not relinquish the group rate. I will try to get a hold of the manager on Monday.
I look forward to meeting everyone.
Camshaft

Posts: 345 | Location: Cameroun, South Africa | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
camshaft: Let me know if you cannot get the group rate issue squared away ...... I'll call if needed. FRANK

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank, I will call the manager on Monday and see where it goes.
I plan to be there with my brother. We will be in attendance for the whole session. We are both Cameroun born Americans. We will have a booth under Bombazi Wilderness trying to find a few more adventurous souls to do a self guided Cameroun hunt or a South African hunt.
Cam

Posts: 345 | Location: Cameroun, South Africa | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I'll be at the Renaissance as well.

JudgeG, I hope your health continues to improve and hope to meet face to face in Dallas.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Update for the rooms for DSC in January at the Comfort Inn: the hotel management has changed the rates from $89.99 for Wednesday & Thursday (01/07 & 01/08) and $109.99 for Friday & Saturday (01/09 & 01/10) to a straight rate of $99.99/night for any of these nights that we'll be staying if you're telling them you are part of the AR group. For me (I'm staying all four nights) it's a wash, but if you're arriving Thursday or later, it's a little more savings. Also, I have reserved the meeting room that we've used in the past for the Saturday night party. So, if you haven't made your reservations yet, make sure you mention the AccurateReloading group ..... FRANK

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to meet up with you guys at the show. Not sure where I will stay. This will be my first time there.

Got'er done

Posts: 40 | Location: Middleburg, Fl. | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone is welcome Saturday night around 6:00 at the Comfort Inn; you'll see someone at the show that can direct you to the party.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Just let me know what we need for the get together. I'll be glad to pick up a bottle or a case of beer and/or snacks as needed. If all that is handled, I'll pitch in to the fund. Need to see that noone gets left holding the bag this year.

David

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, David ....... after our Sept. get-together, Ed & I will post what we'll need, & then let everyone volunteer. Judge: if you have any suggestions, please let us know.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally did the reservation thing! See you all there.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Just booked my tickets -- then ran into "da bitch" at the Comfort Inn -- YIKES!-----will call back tomorrow and try again --
And in the FWIW column -- I have had it with the Reno BS -- looking forward to meeting with you guys in Dallas and haveing a cold one.
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a Texas "local", it sure is neat to see all the AR guys at the Dallas Safari Show! I too am tired of the Reno BS. I hope this is the biggest AR get together yet. Now if we could just get Saeed and Walter there. thumb

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
My wife Tania and I will be going to the DSC show this Jan. It will be our first time to this kind of event.
We both work for a Power/Water Utility that allows us to get Government rates. We booked a room at the Hilton Anatole in the Executive rooms for $160.00/night. They said all of the standard rooms for DSC were booked. We stay at this hotel when the HAI show is in Dallas.
My wife and I would be interested in attending the AR get-together as a couple of newbie’s.
Also, I hope you get well Judge! Semper Fi!!!!

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote