THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    THE NRA and Big Game Hunting - Taking The Fight To the Forefront
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE NRA and Big Game Hunting - Taking The Fight To the Forefront
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted
I'm sure by now most of you have seen the NRA's latest video.
http://outdoorbeasts.com/2015/...schooled-by-the-nra/
It was released on Oct 27 and, as it has been shared on countless websites and through social media, has been seen millions of times.
For the most part it is a proactive - not reactive - video.
Before I get to my question, let me state that I AM NOT BAD MOUTHING ANY GROUP OR ANY INDIVIDUAL when I ask, "Isn't it time hunting groups put forth this type of proactive message?"
YES, I know, I know some groups do put out videos about how great hunting is, blah, blah, blah. But not on this scale. And it seems as though most hunting groups come out with a message only AFTER something hits the media that necessitates a response.
ALSO, most of these same groups publicly and privately suggest members not share hunting photos on Facebook and social media.

Isn't it time for a shift in how we represent ourselves?
AGAIN, I AM NOT BAD MOUTHING ANY GROUP OR ANY INDIVIDUAL so please don't think otherwise.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Good video. One of the best I have seen from NRA.
There are a couple of good articles in this month's African Hunting Gazette on the successes in wildlife conservation made in Zim in Dande and Bubye conservation areas. Too bad they only get read by the faithful and not the general population.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big NRA pow wow on hunting next week.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Damn right it's time we became more proactive in our messaging, both in defending hunting and educating the public on the truth about hunting. And why are we scared or apologetic in calling out the organizations that purport to represent hunters? I have no problem in calling out the existing hunting organizations in saying they have largely been asleep at the switch for years in neglecting communication issues. We are where we are today because they failed to get ahead of the public relations issue in a proactive manner years ago.

As Larry said, there is an NRA meeting next week in Washington to discuss a more proactive agenda on hunting issues. Personally, I believe that if the NRA does not take the baton on this the days of hunting as we have known it are indeed numbered. I do not believe the existing hunting groups are up to the task.

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Concur

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic video!

Right to the point.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67392 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Okay, I am a little confused here. When I click on the link, the video that comes up is about Gun Violence.

What am I missing here?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Okay, I am a little confused here. When I click on the link, the video that comes up is about Gun Violence.

What am I missing here?

The video is an example of what one organization can do for its members, and doing what it is supposed to do.

As against an organization which has abandoned its members, and does absolutely NOTHING for its members, and lives only for one purpose and one purpose only!

Glorifying themselves in their bloody silly MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS!

That is the point.

Posts: 67392 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I really like the NRA's ad series called the Freedom's Safest Place.

My favorite so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2gcNfSbTP4

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The NRA ads are great, and they are running them on regular cable channels not just outdoor channels. My favorite is this one . . . a strong message delivered from a someone other than a middle class white person . . .

"I marched behind Martin Luther King at Selma, I know my rights . . ." That is stout.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I get it now, it wasn't the content of that particular video, but the idea that such videos could and would inform people about hunting from a realistic/truthful point of view.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The video is an example of what one organization can do for its members, and doing what it is supposed to do.

As against an organization which has abandoned its members, and does absolutely NOTHING for its members, and lives only for one purpose and one purpose only!

Yes

Glorifying themselves in their bloody silly MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS!

That is the point.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Damn right it's time we became more proactive in our messaging, both in defending hunting and educating the public on the truth about hunting. And why are we scared or apologetic in calling out the organizations that purport to represent hunters? I have no problem in calling out the existing hunting organizations in saying they have largely been asleep at the switch for years in neglecting communication issues. We are where we are today because they failed to get ahead of the public relations issue in a proactive manner years ago.

As Larry said, there is an NRA meeting next week in Washington to discuss a more proactive agenda on hunting issues. Personally, I believe that if the NRA does not take the baton on this the days of hunting as we have known it are indeed numbered. I do not believe the existing hunting groups are up to the task.

+1 on all accounts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36840 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
The NRA never backs down and they are always adapting and adjusting their message. They are also smart enough to use diversity for their message. What do most (if not all) hunting organizations use? The magazines and publications they all put out may have a few good conservation articles while the rest of it has ads for luxurious canned hunts and another old, fat rich guy (or gal) bragging about their recent hard hunt and the rewards they will get. Seriously? Some will say if it is legal we should support it and we must all be together. Legal does not make it right; it just makes it legal.

I have 0 class envy and I could care less about awards. I am happy for everyone's real or imagined successes. Good for you! However, if we want to send a positive message on hunting and/or firearms to the unknowing and uncommitted, we have to learn and adapt. We really need to get over ourselves as well. Hand one of the SCI, DSC or most any other hunting and shooting pub to someone outside those perceived "elite groups" and ask their honest opinion. I have friends that are NRA life members and hunters that are nauseated by some of the messages in many of these pubs. It does not matter what we think our message says. It is all about perception if we want to send a positive message to others.

If we care and want to better secure the future of hunting, we must change. If we refuse that and "do not care what the wacko's think", let's at least be smart enough to become a secret society and stop feeding the "wacko's" more information via our pubs and social media. The "wacko's" are more proactive and committed than we are to convert the uncommitted and unknowing.

Wouldn't it be nice to attend an award ceremony where we hear a story about a young person that knew nothing about hunting or firearms receiving training and education, then going on a successful hunt? And that young person thanking ______ for sponsoring and supporting them? I would much rather hear that story than another story about Mr. Richie Rich taking the new world record albino, purple maned lion! The wife and I find the stories from the Dallas Ecological Foundation's activities to be the best part of DSC's pubs. They send a positive message and they have the proper audience for that message.

The "wacko's" do not need to fight so hard to take our hunting and firearms rights and privileges away from us. We are giving them away.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
The NRA never backs down and they are always adapting and adjusting their message. They are also smart enough to use diversity for their message. What do most (if not all) hunting organizations use? The magazines and publications they all put out may have a few good conservation articles while the rest of it has ads for luxurious canned hunts and another old, fat rich guy (or gal) bragging about their recent hard hunt and the rewards they will get. Seriously? Some will say if it is legal we should support it and we must all be together. Legal does not make it right; it just makes it legal.

I have 0 class envy and I could care less about awards. I am happy for everyone's real or imagined successes. Good for you! However, if we want to send a positive message on hunting and/or firearms to the unknowing and uncommitted, we have to learn and adapt. We really need to get over ourselves as well. Hand one of the SCI, DSC or most any other hunting and shooting pub to someone outside those perceived "elite groups" and ask their honest opinion. I have friends that are NRA life members and hunters that are nauseated by some of the messages in many of these pubs. It does not matter what we think our message says. It is all about perception if we want to send a positive message to others.

If we care and want to better secure the future of hunting, we must change. If we refuse that and "do not care what the wacko's think", let's at least be smart enough to become a secret society and stop feeding the "wacko's" more information via our pubs and social media. The "wacko's" are more proactive and committed than we are to convert the uncommitted and unknowing.

Wouldn't it be nice to attend an award ceremony where we hear a story about a young person that knew nothing about hunting or firearms receiving training and education, then going on a successful hunt? And that young person thanking ______ for sponsoring and supporting them? I would much rather hear that story than another story about Mr. Richie Rich taking the new world record albino, purple maned lion! The wife and I find the stories from the Dallas Ecological Foundation's activities to be the best part of DSC's pubs. They send a positive message and they have the proper audience for that message.

The "wacko's" do not need to fight so hard to take our hunting and firearms rights and privileges away from us. We are giving them away.

Larry

tu2

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1819 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
The NRA is a great organization. Every gun owner in this country should be a member.

The late great Charlton Heston (long time NRA president) also marched with Martin Luther King by the way.

I found it a bit surprising when I first met Wayne LaPierre what a genuinely nice guy he is. Unlike a lot of big shots he is no phony.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
How many years we have been saying that SCI is nothing but a bloated self glorifying organization financed by our money?

Has any one likes listened to us?
Has anything changed?

Of course not, and as long as the current crop of incompetent, corrupt lot are in charge nothing is going to change!

Makes me proud to be a Life Member of the NRA!

I am also a Life Member of SCI, but I have not seen anything from them that makes me proud!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are 3 (perhaps 4) AR members who are attending the meeting with the NRA this week. Hopefully, We will have positive news to report.

I am told the incoming SCI president will be there as well.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
There are 3 (perhaps 4) AR members who are attending the meeting with the NRA this week. Hopefully, We will have positive news to report.

Don't hold your breath Larry for anything positive from SCI.

Each time they have a new president, people say things will get better.

They never did.

And I somehow doubt anything is going to happen now either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big NRA pow wow on hunting next week.

+1

Very excited to see what comes out of this. I feel NRA is our last best hope.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by larryshores:

Don't hold your breath Larry for anything positive from SCI.

Each time they have a new president, people say things will get better.

They never did.

And I somehow doubt anything is going to happen now either.[/QUOT

I am not Saeed. At minimum, they do not have the horsepower. I hope they have the will power.

SCI has done a great job on the bear issues here in FL. I will give them credit for that.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My guess . . . about 75% of SCI's motivation to attend this meeting is to keep an eye on the NRA and stay abreast of what the NRA is doing and how it might impact them. Sort of the old, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. In other words, I doubt that their primary motivation in attending to see how they can assist the NRA in becoming more proactive in messaging on hunting issues. Just a guess.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
My guess . . . about 75% of SCI's motivation to attend this meeting is to keep an eye on the NRA and stay abreast of what the NRA is doing and how it might impact them. Sort of the old, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. In other words, I doubt that their primary motivation in attending to see how they can assist the NRA in becoming more proactive in messaging on hunting issues. Just a guess.

Mike, Mike, Mike............ must you be so negative? LOL

Lets hope that, just for once, the new
SCI Prez is actually someone that will pitch in with the NRA and do something constructive. Having said that, even if he talks the talk, the NRA really would need to keep control of things and run the show.

Might be tempting for the NRA to let the ball drop in SCI's court if they hear what they want hear, and that would be a BIG mistake.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1819 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this all goes the way I predict, SCI will be relegated to a curious little sideshow role of purveyor of hunting convention and little else as NRA steps into the void of hunting leadership. It is not like SCI has not had it's chances.

Jeff

Administrator
posted Hide Post
That old saying "they could not manage a piss up in a brewery" is a perfect example of how to describe the bozos running it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

SCI has done a great job on the bear issues here in FL. I will give them credit for that.
And other places?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:

And other places?

I have no idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And other places?

I have no idea.

+1 Hopefully tomorrow begins a new day in hunter advocacy.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best news I've heard since this whole mess started.

I have a lot of faith in the NRA...only good can come from them jumping in the fight imo

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:

I have a lot of faith in the NRA...only good can come from them jumping in the fight imo
When did the 'mess' start exactly? Kenya in the 70's?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
No need to go back fifty years . . . the current mess started when the traditional hunting orgs, particularly SCI, failed to recognize the changing environment that was happening around them and start to transition from a "club" to taking a more proactive approach to advocacy and communications. Had that happened ten years ago, we would have given up a lot less ground than we have given up to date to the anti-hunting groups. A big part of addressing a problem is recognizing you have a problem. As indicated by the SCI apologists on AR, I do not think SCI has even begun to acknowledge they have a problem.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:

When did the 'mess' start exactly? Kenya in the 70's?

I don't know..I wasn't alive yet. Ill go with Mr. Jines answer above

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I get that we all agree something has to be done by the major wildlife groups but that nothing will probably get done.
Sad.
I just returned from peacock fishing with Capt Peacock in the Amazon. On board were several DSC / SCI life members and two SCI Chapter presidents. The conversation at one point went to Cecil the lion and all of these men agreed that the biggest mistake was that the dentist shared his hunting pics on Facebook. I said I disagreed completely. I said we need MORE hunters sharing their trophy pics on social media. More hunters sharing what they bring to the conservation table. More discussion online about who we are and how we believe in what we're doing.
Most disagreed with me saying it's better to go under the radar.
Folks, under the radar is heading for a crash!

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:

. . . but that nothing will probably get done.

I am not sure of the NRA's commitment, the primary reason I will be in Washington tomorrow, but there is no questioning their wherewithal. If they get involved, they generally do not get involved to lose or to fly under the radar.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they are serious.

The basic game plan is that there are 9 million hunters who are not NRA members. If they could get those hunters into the NRA think how powerful they would be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:

. . . but that nothing will probably get done.

I am not sure of the NRA's commitment, the primary reason I will be in Washington tomorrow, but there is no questioning their wherewithal. If they get involved, they generally do not get involved to lose or to fly under the radar.

+1 I will be excited to here what they have to say and hope we can have some input. The NRA usually doesn't do anything half way. Most importantly they damn sure don't run and hide when the sledding gets tough. You can't say that about afore mentioned groups.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And other places?

The Australian gun organizations might have been good at one time, but for the most part they suck worse than the SCI. SSAA is the worst.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

The Australian gun organizations might have been good at one time, but for the most part they suck worse than the SCI. SSAA is the worst.
SSAA mostly runs rifle ranges. They arent good hunting advocates and I don't want them to even try any more.

SCI has what? 30,000 members worldwide? Bugger-all....

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
SCI has what? 30,000 members worldwide?

Ever wonder why?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36840 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't need to wonder. SCI/DSC/HSC etc, as clubs, appeal to a relatively small number of hunters because the primary activity of their members is international trophy hunting. They each have big five animals on their logos for a reason.

I hope NRA do pick up the reins for all hunters. tu2 they are in a better position to do so.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV