THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    THE NRA and Big Game Hunting - Taking The Fight To the Forefront
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE NRA and Big Game Hunting - Taking The Fight To the Forefront
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
I don't need to wonder. SCI/DSC/HSC etc, as clubs, appeal to a relatively small number of hunters because the primary activity of their members is international trophy hunting. They each have big five animals on their logos for a reason.

I hope NRA do pick up the reins for all hunters. tu2 they are in a better position to do so.

Yes........... and when the Baby Boomers are out of the market these clubs/associations are toast. And they know it. It is a big concern for them. Just check out the age demographics for all hunting clubs and associations. Hell, check out the age demographics for those people using big game outfitters and fishing lodges.

There are not a lot of young people coming in on the bottom end. There are a few spending the coin, but not many. When I look at most of the younger hunters I see in camp, the majority of time Daddy or Grandpa is footing the bill. I have also noticed that when Daddy or Grandpa quits taking them or passes away, the younger hunters quit going on international and/or outfitted hunts.

Everyone seems to really be in denial about this and it should be a big concern.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:
I don't need to wonder. SCI/DSC/HSC etc, as clubs, appeal to a relatively small number of hunters because the primary activity of their members is international trophy hunting. They each have big five animals on their logos for a reason.

I hope NRA do pick up the reins for all hunters. tu2 they are in a better position to do so.

Yes........... and when the Baby Boomers are out of the market these clubs/associations are toast. And they know it. It is a big concern for them. Just check out the age demographics for all hunting clubs and associations. Hell, check out the age demographics for those people using big game outfitters and fishing lodges.

There are not a lot of young people coming in on the bottom end. There are a few spending the coin, but not many. When I look at most of the younger hunters I see in camp, the majority of time Daddy or Grandpa is footing the bill. I have also noticed that when Daddy or Grandpa quits taking them or passes away, the younger hunters quit going on international and/or outfitted hunts.

Everyone seems to really be in denial about this and it should be a big concern.
Hunter numbers are falling in some places - but not where I live, quite the opposite in fact. Economic prosperity has something to do with that but not all. Falling hunter numbers overall can be a big problem.

As for those hunters spending coin on big game hunts as we know them, trophy hunts interstate and international. Are there less people doing those hunts now than say 20-30 years ago? I dont know? I think the demographic will always be slanted toward older people who are more established. Younger hunters will kick in when they have the financial means.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
Just rejoined the NRA last nice after years of absence.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:
So I get that we all agree something has to be done by the major wildlife groups but that nothing will probably get done.
Sad.
I just returned from peacock fishing with Capt Peacock in the Amazon. On board were several DSC / SCI life members and two SCI Chapter presidents. The conversation at one point went to Cecil the lion and all of these men agreed that the biggest mistake was that the dentist shared his hunting pics on Facebook. I said I disagreed completely. I said we need MORE hunters sharing their trophy pics on social media. More hunters sharing what they bring to the conservation table. More discussion online about who we are and how we believe in what we're doing.
Most disagreed with me saying it's better to go under the radar.
Folks, under the radar is heading for a crash!

Gayne,
You just crystalized what Saeed has been saying for years on this website - SCI has their collective heads in the sand....

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
quote:
You just crystalized what Saeed has been saying for years on this website - SCI has their collective heads in the sand....

Great minds think alike

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hunter numbers are falling in some places - but not where I live, quite the opposite in fact. Economic prosperity has something to do with that but not all. Falling hunter numbers overall can be a big problem.

As for those hunters spending coin on big game hunts as we know them, trophy hunts interstate and international. Are there less people doing those hunts now than say 20-30 years ago? I dont know? I think the demographic will always be slanted toward older people who are more established. Younger hunters will kick in when they have the financial means.

Matt you can point at certain areas everywhere that is seeing an increase in hunters, but overall that is not the case. Furthermore, hunters that only hunt locally or stay in country are the vast majority and always have been.......... they are not the people in most instances that keep SCI and similar orgs going.

I have been in the outfitting business more or less for 39 years and the numbers of traveling hunters and overall demographics has been pretty obvious to me for years. Some of the orgs have already crunched the numbers internally........ they know where things are heading, but no one talks about it except behind closed doors.

There are always some outfitters who never lack for hunters due to what they offer, whether it is a particular species in high demand and short supply, exceptional service or a combination of several things.......... but if you look at the big picture a lot of outfitters are barely staying afloat and most are scratching for hunters.

It is not just due to the economic issues globally, it has to do with a number of things and age is a big part of it. It doesn't matter what people want to see or hope to see, things are changing and quite frankly the writing has been on the wall for a couple of decades.

I have watched the steady decline of the so called middle class and their ability to go on/to outfitted hunts and fishing lodges since the late 80's. They have been the bread and butter for the overall outfitting industry for years....... after all high end hunts, like the people who can afford them, make up a small percentage of international big game hunts.

Our western societies have been killing of hunting and gun ownership slowly for decades via social engineering, and it is working. The vast majority of educational institutions at all levels, and the people teaching in them, have been of the anti mindset for a number of decades. The result mind set of many and the peer pressure exerted in that direction has and is taking its toll.

It is going to take some significant changes to counter act this and given what I know about human nature, it is very unlikely that the course can be altered. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I believe the best that can be hoped for is that that our fighting this will mean a longer and more protracted death.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:

What I have noticed is an age gap. Most of the hunters that I know are over 60 or under 40. On deer lease / hunting club we are getting a lot of applications from 20 - 30 year olds that are successful and avid hunters. One of our young members was raised hunting, but two of them got into it on their own. I asked the groom (28 yo) at a wedding reception a few weeks ago if he hunts. His response was no one in his family hunts but he would love to try it.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 634 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
It seems the people I know who are interested in hunting (but do not yet) have ZERO interest in antler size, books, circles, scores etc. They seem to be interested in it for the experience, the challenge, and the good food. In my opinion, this is bad for SCI, but good for hunting. SCI NEEDS hunting to exist, hunting does not NEED SCI to exist. It's a matter of how you see the activity of hunting that determines which side of that question you are on. I'd rather have 100 ethical, ecologically aware hunters, than 100 hunters seeking the purple diamond belt buckle award. But that's just me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I have noticed is an age gap.

Yep.
When I worked at DSC, most of those that followed us on the Game Trails site were between 40 and 44 years old. Awesome thing was that our readers were 47% female.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:
Awesome thing was that our readers were 47% female.

That's cuz you're a chick magnet Gayne. Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that if any one if you sat through the first presentation at the NRA HLF meeting,you would all be terrified.

We are in real trouble here.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's cuz you're a chick magnet Gayne. Big Grin

I'm afraid only men on this page are aware of that

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
My disappointment is that I only just now clicked that video.

That is a well done message.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems the people I know who are interested in hunting (but do not yet) have ZERO interest in antler size, books, circles, scores etc. They seem to be interested in it for the experience, the challenge, and the good food. In my opinion, this is bad for SCI, but good for hunting. SCI NEEDS hunting to exist, hunting does not NEED SCI to exist. It's a matter of how you see the activity of hunting that determines which side of that question you are on. I'd rather have 100 ethical, ecologically aware hunters, than 100 hunters seeking the purple diamond belt buckle award. But that's just me.

Add 1 to that.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sitting in the Second day of NRA's Hunters Leadership Forum. For the first time in a long time I see a glimmer of hope. They are ramping up a multiprong attack and seem to be damn serious about hunters rights.

So here's to a better future. We have a long fight ahead of us and we are 10 years behind in the war.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
I am sitting in the Second day of NRA's Hunters Leadership Forum. For the first time in a long time I see a glimmer of hope. They are ramping up a multiprong attack and seem to be damn serious about hunters rights.

So here's to a better future. We have a long fight ahead of us and we are 10 years behind in the war.

Jeff

Jeff is right. I would place the emphasis on the word "war" above. Some of the tactics of the opposition are indeed military like.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My primary reason for coming to Washington to attend the NRA Hunters' Leadership Forum was to assess the level of commitment that the NRA had to making hunting issues a priority. Is this something the NRA is behind and committed to pursuing in the usual NRA fashion or was the NRA making a token commitment to appease it's hunting members? I think they are clearly committed to taking a leadership role on the communications and cultural challenges facing hunting. All of the senior NRA leadership participated in the meeting including LaPierre and Cox. The President of the NRA along with the First and Second Vice Presidents participated as well. While I think some of us were disappointed at the lack of specifics regarding the NRA's action plan at this point, I think that the NRA is committed to being in a position to roll out a plan in the next sixty days or so. I was also encouraged that I did not sense any resistance or reluctance on the part of SCI to support to effort. Everyone acknowledges that with 5 million members and a strong history of communications and advocacy leadership, the NRA is really the right group, in fact the only group with the capability, to do this. All in all, my assessment is the commitment is there, the wherewithal is clearly there, now it is time to see progress on the implementation end. This latter piece was something that LaPierre personally committed to make happen.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup.

It was clear to me that our questioning the right people about the plan got their attention.

They are 100% serious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update - good work fellows. From my experience SCI has always (in recent years) worked with the NRA in some capacity through Washington. NRA has the numbers and the funding and no doubt they can see that they will boost their own numbers by getting more hunters on board. They have the capacity to run the programmes to bring all hunters together and to train and motivate them for the 'battles' ahead.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand there were some SCI people there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
My primary reason for coming to Washington to attend the NRA Hunters' Leadership Forum was to assess the level of commitment that the NRA had to making hunting issues a priority. Is this something the NRA is behind and committed to pursuing in the usual NRA fashion or was the NRA making a token commitment to appease it's hunting members? I think they are clearly committed to taking a leadership role on the communications and cultural challenges facing hunting. All of the senior NRA leadership participated in the meeting including LaPierre and Cox. The President of the NRA along with the First and Second Vice Presidents participated as well. While I think some of us were disappointed at the lack of specifics regarding the NRA's action plan at this point, I think that the NRA is committed to being in a position to roll out a plan in the next sixty days or so. I was also encouraged that I did not sense any resistance or reluctance on the part of SCI to support to effort. Everyone acknowledges that with 5 million members and a strong history of communications and advocacy leadership, the NRA is really the right group, in fact the only group with the capability, to do this. All in all, my assessment is the commitment is there, the wherewithal is clearly there, now it is time to see progress on the implementation end. This latter piece was something that LaPierre personally committed to make happen.

Super news, I reckon I can keep on being proud of the NRA--pending developments--

I think with a push from all of us we could a least double NRA membership-that would certainly increase their clout.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update on the NRA meeting Larry, Mike and Jeff.

Do you get the idea that the NRA will be supporting trophy hunting/foreign hunting or will it be more a push to support meat hunters in North America?

Thanks

Posts: 816 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:

Do you get the idea that the NRA will be supporting trophy hunting/foreign hunting or will it be more a push to support meat hunters in North America?

Thanks

The NRA is committed to educating all and serving every hunter from the rabbit hunter to the elephant hunter.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully their main goal will be to get everyone singing from the same song-sheet - and not be standing ready to throw the next guy under the bus!!

When hunters constantly whine and point fingers - it plays right into the anti's hands.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right you are Matt.

One thing is crystal clear, the antis work together. We need to .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:

Thanks

The NRA is committed to educating all and serving every hunter from the rabbit hunter to the elephant hunter.

Jeff

Thanks.

I am cautiously optimistic that we may finally have an advocate.

Appreciate you guys going to DC and your input into this. tu2

Posts: 816 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The meeting was informative and at times, scary .

There was some analysis of the antis tactics. When one realizes that some of these tactics are very similar to tried and true military tactics, it is frightening. The opposition is quite clever and organized. We had all better wake up and stop whining about SCI and/or some other group. The division amongst us is playing right into the antis hands.

Some of the analysis of reactions and/or opinions about hunting by the general public was also eye opening. When questioned about opinions of trophy hunting, support/positive opinion falls drastically. On the other hand, support/positive opinion regarding hunting for food is quite high.

I have said for a long time that we are under attack. Until this meeting, I had no idea just how bad it is .

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report guys!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37886 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
While I am optimistic that we are going to start to see some advocacy and communications activities on hunting issues from the NRA in the next 60-90 days, I think it is also important to bear in mind that we did not get into this box overnight and we will not get out of it overnight. It is going to be a long, hard and expensive slog. It is a cultural battle. That is another reason I am glad to see the NRA stepping up on this matter. They are accustomed to battles that require persistence and a long term view.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is definitely a cultural battle - and not just about trophy hunting or the concept of hunting for conservation. It is going to be a tough road just to dispel the 'redneck' myth that persists in the greater community - about all hunters, meat hunters included. Especially so in the cities of course. There is also that real or perceived city-country divide in many places that may simply never be broken either.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

There was some analysis of the antis tactics. When one realizes that some of these tactics are very similar to tried and true military tactics, it is frightening. The opposition is quite clever and organized. We had all better wake up and stop whining about SCI and/or some other group. The division amongst us is playing right into the antis hands.

Some of the analysis of reactions and/or opinions about hunting by the general public was also eye opening. When questioned about opinions of trophy hunting, support/positive opinion falls drastically. On the other hand, support/positive opinion regarding hunting for food is quite high.

I have said for a long time that we are under attack. Until this meeting, I had no idea just how bad it is .

All that Mr. Shores says is quite true. The enemy however is not bound by morals, ethics or the truth. Lies, deceit and emotion are their best weapons. They use puppies and kitties to stuff their coffers. They bait and switch and are very patient. They take the low hanging fruit. But their goal is to end all hunting. Every time they file a frivolous lawsuit it taxes our limited resources to fight them.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

All that Mr. Shores says is quite true. The enemy however is not bound by morals, ethics or the truth. Lies, deceit and emotion are their best weapons. They use puppies and kitties to stuff their coffers. They bait and switch and are very patient. They take the low hanging fruit. But their goal is to end all hunting. Every time they file a frivolous lawsuit it taxes our limited resources to fight them.

Jeff

But fight them we must!

When Aaron and I were engaging with the LCTF, all of this was quite apparent then.

We tried to walk the fine between encouraging us to police our own while waging war against the antis. In some ways we were quite successful and in others not so much. Over time though...most all hunters warmed up to embracing science based lion conservation through hunting.

I write this for 2 reasons: 1) to illustrate that the battle is tedious and at times like watching grass grow...and 2) like MJines has been preaching as of late...while battling the antis...we must always make sure we hold ourselves to the utmost of standards.

The best way to put it are in the immortal words of David Crockett: "Be sure you are right...then go ahead!"

salute to the NRA tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37886 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jeff

I would largely agree. The only thing I would say differently is that their goal is to not just stop hunting, it goes far beyond that. If they had their way, we would all be vegans. There would be no pets. There would be nothing made with animal products. There would no testing if any kind using animals.

These people are out of their f'ing minds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

But fight them we must!

When Aaron and I were engaging with the LCTF, all of this was quite apparent then.

We tried to walk the fine between encouraging us to police our own while waging war against the antis. In some ways we were quite successful and in others not so much. Over time though...most all hunters warmed up to embracing science based lion conservation through hunting.

I write this for 2 reasons: 1) to illustrate that the battle is tedious and at times like watching grass grow...and 2) like MJines has been preaching as of late...while battling the antis...we must always make sure we hold ourselves to the utmost of standards.

The best way to put it are in the immortal words of David Crockett: "Be sure you are right...then go ahead!"

salute to the NRA tu2

as far as ethics, you are quite correct. Appearance matters in this case. Don't post your video of your helicopter hog hunt on Youtube. Suicide is overrated. Larry is also right. I have canines for a reason and it ain't to graze...

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you are shocked that many people do not approve of trophy hunting but do meat hunting you haven't been paying attention. Think about how that question would be asked, "Do you approve/disapprove of hunting animals as a trophy? Do you approve/disapprove of hunting animals for food? One has a more/positive ethical aspect to it (hunting for food), while the other seems merely exploitative.

Of course there is a lot more to know in order to approve of hunting for a trophy, that being the complex conservation aspect of it, but approve/disapprove questions never get into the esoteric nature of these things - it's not how you drive an agenda - see WA I-1401 for an example, "Do you want to help save animals from extinction?" Who would say 'no' to that other than those who already know the laws on the books or the facts about what the initiative states? And that number in this case was very small.

For those who attended the NRA meeting, did anyone bring up how hunting fits into the larger wildlife conservation model in the US, and the fact that if it were not for the funds generated by sportsmen our wildlife would be a pitiful mess? And did anyone in the meeting use the word 'fishing?' Hunting and fishing are the opposite side of the same coin. IN my opinion all of these organizations should be working together. Might seem that its redundant given that so many hunters fish and so many fishers hunt, but the fact that we have separate organizations working independently on issues is an opportunity (I think) to have a coalition of sorts among all outdoor sporting endeavors at a higher level.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:

Not that I recall. Remember this was not to discuss the merits of hunting. it was discuss a strategy to preserve hunting.

If you are shocked that many people do not approve of trophy hunting but do meat hunting you haven't been paying attention. Think about how that question would be asked, "Do you approve/disapprove of hunting animals as a trophy? Do you approve/disapprove of hunting animals for food? One has a more/positive ethical aspect to it (hunting for food), while the other seems merely exploitative.

Of course there is a lot more to know in order to approve of hunting for a trophy, that being the complex conservation aspect of it, but approve/disapprove questions never get into the esoteric nature of these things - it's not how you drive an agenda - see WA I-1401 for an example, "Do you want to help save animals from extinction?" Who would say 'no' to that other than those who already know the laws on the books or the facts about what the initiative states? And that number in this case was very small.

For those who attended the NRA meeting, did anyone bring up how hunting fits into the larger wildlife conservation model in the US, and the fact that if it were not for the funds generated by sportsmen our wildlife would be a pitiful mess? And did anyone in the meeting use the word 'fishing?' Hunting and fishing are the opposite side of the same coin. IN my opinion all of these organizations should be working together. Might seem that its redundant given that so many hunters fish and so many fishers hunt, but the fact that we have separate organizations working independently on issues is an opportunity (I think) to have a coalition of sorts among all outdoor sporting endeavors at a higher level.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember this was not to discuss the merits of hunting. it was discuss a strategy to preserve hunting.

But…isn't the way to preserve something to demonstrate its merits? I would posit that if you can show the merits of hunting to a wider audience you can better help to preserve it.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
There has been a tremendous amount of work done on surveying the public to understand their perceptions of hunting and conservation. Check out a fellow, Mark Duda and Responsive Management (www.responsivemanagement.com). Mark was one of the speakers.

I think a lot of ground work has been done to determine what resonates and does not resonate with the public on hunting. For example, since 1995 the survey data would show that the approval of hunting by the general public has consistently been in the 70% range. However, when you start to drill down and get more specific the numbers start to be more revealing and support in some cases starts to erode. While 78% of Americans support deer hunting, only 42% support mountain lion hunting. While 85% of Americans support hunting for food, only 28% support hunting for trophies. Ecological benefits of hunting resonate better than human benefits. Connecting hunting to habitat issues is a key to communicating about hunting. Etc.

The next step to is to take this data and craft the communication messaging around the themes that have been shown to resonate best with the public. Many of those are conservation themes.

So yes, the connection of hunting to wildlife conservation was a significant topic.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
So yes, the connection of hunting to wildlife conservation was a significant topic.

Bueno.

And I'm glad to see the info you mention was brought up regarding the specifics of what the public accepts and what they do not accept, that's super important information.