THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    THE NRA and Big Game Hunting - Taking The Fight To the Forefront
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE NRA and Big Game Hunting - Taking The Fight To the Forefront
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The presentation that Duda did with all the survey information regarding perceptions of hunting, demographic breakdowns, etc. and a presentation yesterday on social media were the two most meaningful presentations to me. For one reason, I think having the data on what resonates and what does not with the general public . . . and not basing our arguments on what we think will resonate . . . is critical. We spend too much time preaching to the choir and advancing the arguments hunters like to hear. Second, social media and the Internet is the battlefield and if we cannot master it and control it on hunting issues, we are going going to continue to get pounded. Third, the battle is for the hearts and minds of younger people, the group largely 35 and under. That is why social media mastery is so critical.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Larry - you mentioned uniting hunting and fishing interests in a united front. Personally I think that might be a bit too much - in my experience the fishing groups simply run like hell when hunting is mentioned. You will be beating your head against a wall there. That is user groups I am referring to - companies with an interest (Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc) are different.

I hope I am wrong in that though...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Matt, I made the comment you referred to, not Larry-he just quoted my comment In order to respond.

Here's why I think it's important: fishing is next. If the anti- groups make successful headway against hunting, fishing will be the next target. Hunters are at a disadvantage because the animals they hunt have been turned into cultural icons: Bambi, duumbo, the lion king etc. the way the public views this charismatic megafauna is different than (at least now) the way they view fish. Other than Nemo, there aren't too many famous fish, and even Nemo is not a fished species. People anthropomorphize animals such as Cecil which makes it easier for anti-hunting groups to use that as leverage. Look at the data mike mentioned, there is a 40% difference between support for food hunting and trophy hunting. Anti hunters know this, exploit this, and make headway. Once trophy hunting is taken care of, they simply go to the next type of hunting. Once hunting is done, they go to fishing, the circus, pets, leather etc etc. whether it's realistic they can penetrate that deeply into our culture is debatable, what is not debatable is the fact they will try.

So, if fishing groups run when the word hunting comes up, they need to valet park their high horse and understand that they are, somewhere along the line, next. And it's worth joining in with an army that is already heavily engaged in the war to ensure their success than to sit back and hope they win, and if they don't, have to start from zero, or even negative, which is where hunters find themselves now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see the NRA join the hunting rights fight.

Also glad Larry, Jeff and Mike went to dc and gave money to NRA.

The animal right guys are a bunch of vegan fundamentalist driven by real capital - Paul Allen.

The chance then banning meat, animal products, meat hunting is zero. But they can do some real damage to trophy hunting - which is really expensive meat hunting with protein being donated in Africa.

Majority of cultural and religious vegetarians in the world consume animal products - leather.

The western animal rights activist are just lunatics.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Remember this was not to discuss the merits of hunting. it was discuss a strategy to preserve hunting.

But…isn't the way to preserve something to demonstrate its merits? I would posit that if you can show the merits of hunting to a wider audience you can better help to preserve it.

Everyone involved already knows the merits. When it gets to the point of influencing public opinion , then yes,I agree.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Matt, I made the comment you referred to, not Larry-he just quoted my comment In order to respond.

Here's why I think it's important: fishing is next. If the anti- groups make successful headway against hunting, fishing will be the next target. Hunters are at a disadvantage because the animals they hunt have been turned into cultural icons: Bambi, duumbo, the lion king etc. the way the public views this charismatic megafauna is different than (at least now) the way they view fish. Other than Nemo, there aren't too many famous fish, and even Nemo is not a fished species. People anthropomorphize animals such as Cecil which makes it easier for anti-hunting groups to use that as leverage. Look at the data mike mentioned, there is a 40% difference between support for food hunting and trophy hunting. Anti hunters know this, exploit this, and make headway. Once trophy hunting is taken care of, they simply go to the next type of hunting. Once hunting is done, they go to fishing, the circus, pets, leather etc etc. whether it's realistic they can penetrate that deeply into our culture is debatable, what is not debatable is the fact they will try.

So, if fishing groups run when the word hunting comes up, they need to valet park their high horse and understand that they are, somewhere along the line, next. And it's worth joining in with an army that is already heavily engaged in the war to ensure their success than to sit back and hope they win, and if they don't, have to start from zero, or even negative, which is where hunters find themselves now.
Look it is all very valid and makes sense - but I really think you could spend YEARS trying to get the fishing groups onside and simply put ourselves further behind the 8-ball. Fishing has huge participation, much more than hunting... but for those who don't partake in both you are really pushing shit uphill to get them politically motivated alongside hunters. That has just been my experience here in Australia - but I doubt it is that much different elsewhere in the developed world. My background is in both industries, as well as the political front - so I have seen inside both sides.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:

Look it is all very valid and makes sense - but I really think you could spend YEARS trying to get the fishing groups onside and simply put ourselves further behind the 8-ball. Fishing has huge participation, much more than hunting... but for those who don't partake in both you are really pushing shit uphill to get them politically motivated alongside hunters. That has just been my experience here in Australia - but I doubt it is that much different elsewhere in the developed world. My background is in both industries, as well as the political front - so I have seen inside both sides.

Have to agree with you Matt. The old saying is "All hunters fish, but not all fishermen hunt."

My experience over the last 4 decades in the outfitting industry has been that there are a lot of anglers who are NOT pro-hunting. Although you would think there are a lot of similarities on the surface, it usually does not play out that way. This is the reason that there are many jurisdictions where the outfitters who offer hunts and those offering fishing have two different associations.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
There was no discussion of how hunters might unite with fishermen. The reality is that you have to walk before you can run and we have plenty to do to even get most hunters on something approaching the same page before we ever think about trying to include fishermen too.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was no discussion of how hunters might unite with fishermen. The reality is that you have to walk before you can run and we have plenty to do to even get most hunters on something approaching the same page before we ever think about trying to include fishermen too.

I agree with MJ on this.
You would be surprised at how many hunters are not even members of the NRA.
I had a big blow up with my best friend a few years ago for flat out refusing to join the NRA!
It is a requirement for membership in our hunting club.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:

These numbers are not exact but close. There are an estimated 12-13 million hunters in the US. The NRA has approximately 5 million members and only roughly half of those members are hunters. So something like 20% of the hunters are members of the NRA. You can be disappointed in that but it also represents an opportunity.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Oh hell, the .45-70 for buffalo, bow hunting, long range shooting, etc. is enough. We need to unite to defend hunting before debating fly fishing vs. bait casting...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:

These numbers are not exact but close. There are an estimated 12-13 million hunters in the US. The NRA has approximately 5 million members and only roughly half of those members are hunters. So something like 20% of the hunters are members of the NRA. You can be disappointed in that but it also represents an opportunity.

I agree......... perhaps a bunch of hunters, seeing the NRA actively defending/promoting hunting, will decide to get onboard.

The dismal record for membership is actually fairly typical all over and with many interests.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup. 100% correct.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At serious risk of being flamed, I will venture my opinion that I am not real crazy about the idea of the hunting community engaging in a high-profile alliance with the NRA. Before you explode with apoplexy, hear me out.

I completely agree that the antis have gained some ground against us at least in the PR department. No need to go into the explanations of how that happened; most of us are too well aware of it. I also agree that enlisting the help of the NRA is tempting. Without a doubt they are well-organized, well-funded and can scare the Bejeezus out of many legislators. But consider this: the people whose help we need are the non-hunting public that is not anti-hunting which, I would argue, is the majority of the people in the US. We will never convince the antis that hunting is conservation. Neither do we need to convince each other that hunting needs to exist as a conservation tool, family tradition, means of obtaining healthy meat, etc. But we do need to convince the non-hunting/not anti-hunting public of these things.

The problem with the NRA is that for very many people, by some measures perhaps most people in the US, the NRA is seen as an extremist group that is in the pocket of the firearms industry. The vast majority of Americans believe we need to expand mandatory background checks; the NRA is opposed. Most Americans think tighter regulations of "assault-style weapons" is a good idea. The NRA is very vocally opposed.

My point is that as tempting as it may be to enlist the help of the NRA in our struggle to maintain our ability to hunt, I am very afraid that doing so will have more negative consequences than positive. If you don't have a lot to do in your daily life with the sorts of people we need help from-- the non-hunting folks who don't oppose hunting as long as they see it done "responsibly," whatever that might mean-- you may see help from the NRA as a Godsend. But if you spend most of your day rubbing shoulders with folks who don't hunt, fish or shoot you probably see where I'm coming from. Most people I know, including a lot of people who hunt, have a pretty negative view of the NRA. It is that reputation I fear being connected with.

Now, flame away.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdirks:
At serious risk of being flamed, I will venture my opinion that I am not real crazy about the idea of the hunting community engaging in a high-profile alliance with the NRA. Before you explode with apoplexy, hear me out.

I completely agree that the antis have gained some ground against us at least in the PR department. No need to go into the explanations of how that happened; most of us are too well aware of it. I also agree that enlisting the help of the NRA is tempting. Without a doubt they are well-organized, well-funded and can scare the Bejeezus out of many legislators. But consider this: the people whose help we need are the non-hunting public that is not anti-hunting which, I would argue, is the majority of the people in the US. We will never convince the antis that hunting is conservation. Neither do we need to convince each other that hunting needs to exist as a conservation tool, family tradition, means of obtaining healthy meat, etc. But we do need to convince the non-hunting/not anti-hunting public of these things.

The problem with the NRA is that for very many people, by some measures perhaps most people in the US, the NRA is seen as an extremist group that is in the pocket of the firearms industry. The vast majority of Americans believe we need to expand mandatory background checks; the NRA is opposed. Most Americans think tighter regulations of "assault-style weapons" is a good idea. The NRA is very vocally opposed.

My point is that as tempting as it may be to enlist the help of the NRA in our struggle to maintain our ability to hunt, I am very afraid that doing so will have more negative consequences than positive. If you don't have a lot to do in your daily life with the sorts of people we need help from-- the non-hunting folks who don't oppose hunting as long as they see it done "responsibly," whatever that might mean-- you may see help from the NRA as a Godsend. But if you spend most of your day rubbing shoulders with folks who don't hunt, fish or shoot you probably see where I'm coming from. Most people I know, including a lot of people who hunt, have a pretty negative view of the NRA. It is that reputation I fear being connected with.

Now, flame away.

Too Late.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now, flame away.

Out of idle curiosity, who do you think should handle this? SCI and their 50,000 member? DSC and their 5,000 members. The reality is that they are a pimple on a gnat's ass. Too small to notice.

I hear what you are saying. The reality is that the NRA is the only one with the resources to handle something like this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I don't think either DSC or SCI is capable of or necessarily even interested in helping our cause. I would offer, however, that there are conservation organizations, such as Ducks Unlimited and RMEF, which explicitly endorse hunting as conservation and who do have large memberships. There are also organizations such as the National Wildlife Federation and the World Wildlife Fund which, while not terribly public about it, do endorse hunting as a viable conservation tool. My point is that groups such as these have a better reputation with the non-hunting people we need help from with none of the negatives that-- deserved or not!-- come with the NRA. I think those are the folks we need to publicly ally with.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now, flame away.

One issue with that analysis is that it presumes that most people have a negative impression of the NRA. That is incorrect. Among the data presented at the meeting was polling/survey data showing that the NRA is viewed favorably by ~65% of all Americans. Sometimes we all fall into the trap of believing what we hear on television and in the media. In this case, the media tries to portray the NRA as a demon, when in fact the American people see through the media's efforts and actually have a contrary view. I think the current commercials the NRA is running will only help those numbers too.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, I don't think either DSC or SCI is capable of or necessarily even interested in helping our cause. I would offer, however, that there are conservation organizations, such as Ducks Unlimited and RMEF, which explicitly endorse hunting as conservation and who do have large memberships. There are also organizations such as the National Wildlife Federation and the World Wildlife Fund which, while not terribly public about it, do endorse hunting as a viable conservation tool. My point is that groups such as these have a better reputation with the non-hunting people we need help from with none of the negatives that-- deserved or not!-- come with the NRA. I think those are the folks we need to publicly ally with.

Where have they been while we have been getting our brains kicked in? Do you really think they have the political savvy to operate at the level we need to operate at to be successful?

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conservation org's like WWF and NWF will ditch hunters in a heartbeat.

Look what happened with the Panthera experience... Roll Eyes

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, WWF was one of the groups that publicly supported the black rhino hunt auctioned off at DSC last year. And NWF is supportive of hunting. The president of the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, for example, is a former Wisconsin DNR secretary who is very vocal about supporting hunting as conservation.

I think that "branding" hunting as a conservation tool is what we need to do to win the hearts and minds of those who don't hunt themselves, but don't oppose hunting either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, WWF was one of the groups that publicly supported the black rhino hunt auctioned off at DSC last year. And NWF is supportive of hunting. The president of the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, for example, is a former Wisconsin DNR secretary who is very vocal about supporting hunting as conservation.

I think that "branding" hunting as a conservation tool is what we need to do to win the hearts and minds of those who don't hunt themselves, but don't oppose hunting either.
I think you can do both. NRA is capable of picking-up the conservation message too.

I agree on the conservation message - but it has to be a multi-faceted message that encompasses the activities of ALL hunters...

- protecting threatened species through incresing their value
- sustainable meat utilisation
- controlling animal numbers/removing pest species
- protecting and improving whole ecosystems (habitat)
- increasing opportunities for indigenous land owners

etc, etc.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is all about money. The NRA wants more members and larger PAC funds channel more money into the hands of politicians. NRA has a limited amount of influence in Washington, while SCI and DSC have none.

Unfortunately, the guys making it hard on hunters are not politicians, they are rank and file paper pushers who have infiltrated virtually every department of our government to push their political agenda. It has happened with virtually every branch of our government. This is not something that money is going to quickly fix.

In regards to our hunting rights in Africa, we are not even a no show. We have no influence and no representation in Africa. Right now, WWF is our biggest ally in maintaining hunting rights in Africa. An odd bedfellow for sure...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
It is all about money. The NRA wants more members and larger PAC funds channel more money into the hands of politicians. NRA has a limited amount of influence in Washington, while SCI and DSC have none.

Unfortunately, the guys making it hard on hunters are not politicians, they are rank and file paper pushers who have infiltrated virtually every department of our government to push their political agenda. It has happened with virtually every branch of our government. This is not something that money is going to quickly fix.

In regards to our hunting rights in Africa, we are not even a no show. We have no influence and no representation in Africa. Right now, WWF is our biggest ally in maintaining hunting rights in Africa. An odd bedfellow for sure...

I think a lot of groups would like to have the NRA's "limited" influence.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

+1, not many groups can boast 5 million members that vote and can be quickly mobilized to pressure Congress. I wonder if Congressmen and their staff's would call the NRA's influence "limited"? I guess that is why they spend time working on their NRA legislative ratings, jump at the chance to speak at the NRA convention and other NRA events, etc. It is no accident that the media has stepped up its attacks on the NRA in the last few weeks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

WWF?

You are joking right?

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but the reality is the NRA Political Victory Fund doles out about $22 million a year on trying to get folks elected. And that's money spent at the local, state and federal level. In the scheme of things in Washington, that's not even a drop in the bucket of political influence. You could add another decimal place and it still wouldn't amount to much.

But if it makes you feel better, please believe otherwise.

As a comparison, the Clinton Foundation founded in 2001 has taken in over $1.4 Billion. And that's with a B. Sorry but the NRA doesn't play in the same league as the real influence peddlers.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

One issue with that analysis is that it presumes that most people have a negative impression of the NRA. That is incorrect. Among the data presented at the meeting was polling/survey data showing that the NRA is viewed favorably by ~65% of all Americans. Sometimes we all fall into the trap of believing what we hear on television and in the media. In this case, the media tries to portray the NRA as a demon, when in fact the American people see through the media's efforts and actually have a contrary view. I think the current commercials the NRA is running will only help those numbers too.

Exactly right. The media and left wing politicians blatantly lie and call the NRA out-of-touch extremists when the NRA in fact recently polled more favorably than Obama, Hillary and a host of others have ever done. So if the NRA are extremists what are they??!! They just depend on it being repeated often enough that people will start to believe it.

Same thing with background checks, lies and deceit. It's the way the question is worded to solicit the wanted response. Am I in favor of background checks? Yes. Am I in favor of background checks so my brother can give me his gun? No. But they won't make that distinction in the polling so I fall in the group favoring background checks. Remember there's lies, damned lies and then there's statistics.

Same thing with assault weapons and a myriad of other points. The vested interests and their crony media pals are a bunch of lying, dishonest bast**ds who will do anything to succeed in pushing their agendas!! Every time I hear the words "common sense gun laws" my blood pressure goes up about 50 points.

BTW, did anyone read that in the last two election cycles Bloomberg pissed away $52 million of his stash and got zero results!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1, not many groups can boast 5 million members that vote and can be quickly mobilized to pressure Congress. I wonder if Congressmen and their staff's would call the NRA's influence "limited"? I guess that is why they spend time working on their NRA legislative ratings, jump at the chance to speak at the NRA convention and other NRA events, etc. It is no accident that the media has stepped up its attacks on the NRA in the last few weeks.

Mike:

You are 100% correct. The NRA's influence is so limited that multiple major republican candidates were there. They spoke at various events and/or met with groups of serious NRA supporters. I know, I was there.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry, but the reality is the NRA Political Victory Fund doles out about $22 million a year on trying to get folks elected. And that's money spent at the local, state and federal level. In the scheme of things in Washington, that's not even a drop in the bucket of political influence. You could add another decimal place and it still wouldn't amount to much.

As a comparison, the Clinton Foundation founded in 2001 has taken in over $1.4 Billion. And that's with a B. Sorry but the NRA doesn't play in the same league as the real influence peddlers.

. . . if there is one thing politicians like more than money, it is voters. I am confident that LaPierre does not struggle to get meetings on Capitol Hill.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you understand the difference between a foundation and the NRA? Hell man, I hope you are right. I will stop everything I am doing and file the paperwork to cause the IRS to investigate the Clinton Foundation. By law, the foundation cannot be involved in political issues. You comparison is an apples to oranges comparison.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Do you understand the difference between a foundation and the NRA? Hell man, I hope you are right. I will stop everything I am doing and file the paperwork to cause the IRS to investigate the Clinton Foundation. By law, the foundation cannot be involved in political issues. You comparison is an apples to oranges comparison.

That isn't exactly true. The Clinton Foundation can lobby in limited ways according to the law (threshold would probably be pretty high given its size). All the other stuff they are doing globally on animals fits into broad philanthropic mission.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff32:
quote:
quote:

That isn't exactly true. The Clinton Foundation can lobby in limited ways according to the law (threshold would probably be pretty high given its size). All the other stuff they are doing globally on animals fits into broad philanthropic mission.

We are not talking lobbying. We are talking about influencing election results. Check the 501(c)3 rules.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Clinton Foundation hasn't exactly accounted for all their funds. In fact, most of it has gone to "operational expenses and salaries". That's an awful lot of expenses and salaries.

Point is, $22 million simply is not a lot of influence peddling when it comes to Washington politics. We (I am a life member) would like to believe otherwise, but at the end of the day, the NRA is only influencing like-minded politicians with their hands outstretched.

Ask yourself this question - How many politicians have reversed course on their anti-gun stance? Can you name one?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It all sounds very positive, actually the best I have heard in years!

Thanks Gentlemen for attending and reporting.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

http://bolderadvocacy.org/wp-c...ules-of-the-Game.pdf

Check out chapter 3.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Clinton Foundation hasn't exactly accounted for all their funds. In fact, most of it has gone to "operational expenses and salaries". That's an awful lot of expenses and salaries.

Point is, $22 million simply is not a lot of influence peddling when it comes to Washington politics. We (I am a life member) would like to believe otherwise, but at the end of the day, the NRA is only influencing like-minded politicians with their hands outstretched.

Ask yourself this question - How many politicians have reversed course on their anti-gun stance? Can you name one?
What about the individual donations of those 6 million politically minded members? Hmmmmm....

From an outsiders perspective - it seems to me that the NRA strikes a chord with many Americans who enjoy the concept of real 'freedom'.... even if they don't own firearms.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

http://bolderadvocacy.org/wp-c...ules-of-the-Game.pdf

Check out chapter 3.

...whereas [a 501(c)(3)] may spend only up to a quarter of its overall limit on grassroots lobbying.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with these issues, but I wonder if the distinction is between grassroots lobbying and lobbying. With lobbying being contributions to elected officials and candidates and grassroots lobbying being efforts to generate voter support. I think the discussion above was about contributions to elected officials and candidates. Just a guess.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not familiar with these issues, but I wonder if the distinction is between grassroots lobbying and lobbying. With lobbying being contributions to elected officials and candidates and grassroots lobbying being efforts to generate voter support. I think the discussion above was about contributions to elected officials and candidates. Just a guess.

From my experience when people see c3 they automatically think they cannot lobby or influence legislation/initiatives and that isn't true.

The law makes it very clear how much a 501(c)(3) organization can spend on lobbying - up to $1 million depending on the size of the organization - if the 501(h) election is made. The law also makes it clear which activities are lobbying and which are not. For example, lobbying occurs only when there is an expenditure of money by the 501(c)(3) for the purpose of attempting to influence legislation. Where there is no expenditure by the organization for lobbying (such as lobbying by members or volunteers), there is no lobbying by the organization.