THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Shooting off sticks.....asking for suggestions please
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting off sticks.....asking for suggestions please
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
http://www.southwickshootingsupplies.com/index.html

Probably a bit fiddly for some DG situations but used a lot here for deer. Might be useful for plains game. Very solid indeed and I like that it can be used seated to get over long heather/grasses.[/QUOTE

Milo, Cant get your link to open. What sticks are flagged in it I could be doing with a new set for sitting and standing.jc

Hi John,

Link working here. Try these. Good bit of gear.

http://www.countydeerstalking....d-sticks-review.html

http://www.southwickshootingsupplies.com/page2.html

Best wishes,
Milo.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Went to my friends farm & shot the 416 Rigby. Best day at the range so far.

I shot a 350 gr load & a 400 gr load. Both went into 2" groups at 50 meters off sticks. One of them I was actually reloading & shooting quickly - trying to simulate field conditions! Very happy.

The video is sideways as my son took it on the mobile phone!

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff171/Arajasingh/th_Video0008_zps9d6f75f7.jpg[/IMG]

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
http://www.southwickshootingsupplies.com/index.html

Probably a bit fiddly for some DG situations but used a lot here for deer. Might be useful for plains game. Very solid indeed and I like that it can be used seated to get over long heather/grasses.[/QUOTE

Milo, Cant get your link to open. What sticks are flagged in it I could be doing with a new set for sitting and standing.jc

Hi John,

Link working here. Try these. Good bit of gear.

http://www.countydeerstalking....d-sticks-review.html

http://www.southwickshootingsupplies.com/page2.html

Best wishes,
Milo.

Thanks Milo, The link is working fine now. These are the exact same sticks I shall be replacing, mine made by a friend from golf flag poles that are a wee bit thin.jc

[URL= ]sticks[/URL]

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Ted,

Cal is right.

Your sticks should be a bit longer, although under field conditions you might have the luxury of everything being just right.

Practicing at home, you should be able to hit an 8 inch target at 100 yards with every shot using the sticks.

May I also suggest you try some off hand shooting as well, as you might have to do that on a hunt.

As I recall, James Mellon argued for being able to hit an 8-inch target reliably at 100 yards shooting offhand.

You'll find, Ted, that shooting offhand is the first thing to master. The sticks are good and add a comfort and accuracy assurance. But, you'll find the need to shoot offhand as the quarry changes position, as you want to keep motion around you down, and when the quarry begins to realize something is not right and is about to move out...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I found the off hand shooting with the 416 Rigby to be a real issue & I need to practice more on my trigger control with sight picture.

The BIG problem is that at 50 meters - my off hand groups are about 6 inches below the sticks group. I am obviously not holding the rifle as steadily and I am pulling down in anticipation of the recoil when I squeeze the trigger.

This does not happen to the same extent with other rifles like the 9.3X62 or 280 Ack Imp etc.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Peg - Yours is the absolute best post on this subject. Not only does this provide the most steady shooting position, your PH is looking at the target in the same plane as you are and is close to your right ear to announce shooting instructions as well.

I use a Bog Pod some, homemade sticks as well. I NEVER rest the rifle on the sticks, period. My left hand goes into the U, V or other configuration on the top of the "sticks", the rifle is placed in the cradle formed by my hand, right elbow on PH shoulder (if time and situation allow) for the shot. Placing the rifle directly on the hard surface of the U, V etc. can have an adverse effect on POI. But don't simply take my word for it, it's easy to prove to ones self.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
On longer shots off sticks, if you can get your PH to come up under your right elbow with his shoulder so as to provide a rest for the elbow you will be 10 times more stable.

Larry,

I've been shooting off sticks for about a dozen years now, but decided to try your method yesterday evening. I found it to be much steadier and more accurate than the method I have been using. Thanks for the tip!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naki:
I noticed gun jump when shooting my .300WinM off a bipod from a bench just to see how it worked. I suspect you're getting recoil jump rather than pulling your shots. Give it some study and thought.
You're gaining on it, keep practicing.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have used both bipods and tripods.

Tripods are definitely more stable, but, bipods are more convenient to place on the ground, especially if it is uneven.

But the best is the so called 4 legged sticks.. well i it similar to a bipod just with support back as well... the best I have tried is the "Viper Flex" from danish www.tt-hunting.dk - price around 250 usd is a bargain.. I can any day , any time hit a 2" bull at 100 meters and 8" at 300 meters (around 330 yards) with no difficulty using these shooting sticks... In the field it might take a second more to place - but no issues when you get used to it... I will NEVER again use a bipod or a tripod... you have to try it to believe how effective it is.. Smiler

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
george
I was referring to free hand shooting. Recoil is usually upwards with the muzzle. So I tend to hold the rifle firm and so my groups are always lower. This is true of smaller calibers like the 7mm08 & 222 rem but that is only 1 inch low where as the 416 Rigby shoots 3 to 6 inches lower at 50 meters.

I just need to practice and get into a groove.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Naki:
I noticed gun jump when shooting my .300WinM off a bipod from a bench just to see how it worked. I suspect you're getting recoil jump rather than pulling your shots. Give it some study and thought.
You're gaining on it, keep practicing.
George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
L - Glad you like the method I described. Nothing magic at all. Simple and just works. Hope you get to try it on some critters this year, good luck.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International)Life Member
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Peg - Yours is the absolute best post on this subject. Not only does this provide the most steady shooting position, your PH is looking at the target in the same plane as you are and is close to your right ear to announce shooting instructions as well.

I use a Bog Pod some, homemade sticks as well. I NEVER rest the rifle on the sticks, period. My left hand goes into the U, V or other configuration on the top of the "sticks", the rifle is placed in the cradle formed by my hand, right elbow on PH shoulder (if time and situation allow) for the shot. Placing the rifle directly on the hard surface of the U, V etc. can have an adverse effect on POI. But don't simply take my word for it, it's easy to prove to ones self.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
On longer shots off sticks, if you can get your PH to come up under your right elbow with his shoulder so as to provide a rest for the elbow you will be 10 times more stable.

Larry,

I've been shooting off sticks for about a dozen years now, but decided to try your method yesterday evening. I found it to be much steadier and more accurate than the method I have been using. Thanks for the tip!

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
quote:
I have used both bipods and tripods.

Tripods are definitely more stable, but, bipods are more convenient to place on the ground, especially if it is uneven.

But the best is the so called 4 legged sticks.. well i it similar to a bipod just with support back as well... the best I have tried is the "Viper Flex" from danish www.tt-hunting.dk - price around 250 usd is a bargain.. I can any day , any time hit a 2" bull at 100 meters and 8" at 300 meters (around 330 yards) with no difficulty using these shooting sticks... In the field it might take a second more to place - but no issues when you get used to it... I will NEVER again use a bipod or a tripod... you have to try it to believe how effective it is.. Smiler

That looks a good thing, buffalo. tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I'll be in Namibia in two weeks, and now I have someone to blame for my crappy shots. jumping

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot!! Wink Have a great, safe trip. I am sure your "new found" shooting techniques will pull you through.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Larry,

I'll be in Namibia in two weeks, and now I have someone to blame for my crappy shots. jumping

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I like to have a light trigger pull on my rifles.

My 375/404 breaks at just over 2 pounds and I love it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67051 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Larry,

You wish....... rotflmo

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote