THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Shooting off sticks.....asking for suggestions please
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting off sticks.....asking for suggestions please
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
I made a set of sticks today.

3 pieces of bamboo one cut 5 or 6" shorter fashioned into a tripod using tape

I wasn't perfect at 100 on an 8" steel plate and worked on technique all day.

What advice can any of you give me for shooting off the sticks?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if the ends of the sticks aren't padded with something, i put my cap in the fork so wood isn't sitting on wood. i also rest my off hand around the crotch with a finger looped over the barrel lightly. don't put a death grip on the tripod/gun junction. make sure you have the tripod at the right height for shot in a normal upright position. i watched a video of me once up on the sticks and found to my surprise that i was actually crouched a bit and not standing upright.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Ted:
My doubles are married to my tripod. I use a Bog Pod. Three legs are perfect, a monopod is worthless and a bipod nearly so if standing.

The Bog Pod is adjustable to standing and low enough for sitting. I think height is paramount as you should be standing natural and not on your toes nor crouched down. I let the barrels rest in the U or V, grasp the for end, pull the rifle into my shoulder and let the pod take the weight. With practice, it is very steady and readily adaptable to the field or bush.

One problem I've seen in Africa and the use of three poles to make the sticks is that of an unsteady rifle rest. The three poles sticking up don't afford a comfortable rest for a double rifle--at least for me anyway. That was my problem early on and solved with the Bog Pod as it has three legs for stability but a solid U or V for a good barrel rest.

Just my opinion and most on AR are far more experienced than I.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Bog Pod. i loved mine but it was in my still lost luggage somewhere between home and Cameroon. guess i will have to buy another but i really think they are best available as far as ease of use/versatility.

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Wrap bicycle inner tube around the sticks so that the rifle does not make contact with the wood - it also helps to steady the rifle by providing a bit of grip. Use wooden dowl rods or similiar which have less flex than bamboo. I use 2 sticks when hunting in Namibia - the sticks sink into the sand, and I angle them towards me, hold the rifle in place with my left hand and can lean sightly forward. This is very stable with minimum body sway and 2 sticks are a lot faster to set up than 3 - Good Luck and Enjoy

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
I don't use my Bogpod anymore - Bought it after Rotator Cuff surgery and used it for 1 season. Back to the sticks, as there is too much lateral movement as the V is too wide for my magazine rifles. Sure it will work for a double.

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Mine is the "V" type tripod

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Ted:
Look at your position. Would you shoot in this position without sticks. Of course not. Get you body in a natural off hand position and then use the sticks to support the rifle. It looks like you are positioning your body to fit the sticks and it should be the opposite.
Come up and join us May 31 for the first Alaska double shoot and get lots of practice from .450-400 up to 4-bore and everything in-between!
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been thinking of making a set myself.
This should help with ideas ahead of time.

Some yrs ago I split broom handles in half on the table saw and made a double stick with a bolt thru for a hinge. Seems to work the few times I tried them, I do prefer a good bipod when sitting though. Much because I've used 'em a lot for yrs.

Good luck and please keep posting on the results and info from others with much experience. We can all learn from this.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:

Ted:
Look at your position. Would you shoot in this position without sticks. Of course not. Get you body in a natural off hand position and then use the sticks to support the rifle. It looks like you are positioning your body to fit the sticks and it should be the opposite.
Come up and join us May 31 for the first Alaska double shoot and get lots of practice from .450-400 up to 4-bore and everything in-between!
Cal

that is exactly what i was asking about in my earlier post. you don't realize you are hunched over until you see a picture. stand up straight!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ted,

Cal is right.

Your sticks should be a bit longer, although under field conditions you might have the luxury of everything being just right.

Practicing at home, you should be able to hit an 8 inch target at 100 yards with every shot using the sticks.

May I also suggest you try some off hand shooting as well, as you might have to do that on a hunt.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66992 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

I am new to this as well - just practicing on my first Big Bore for the last year. I made up the green tomato stake ones first. I found that they flexed and shook, resulting in unstable positions for a hard recoil of the 416 Rigby.

The Broom handle model is a lot more stable.

The Foam tube is something I just thought up and it works very well. I am not sure if it is realistic to use that in the field.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ted:
My doubles are married to my tripod. I use a Bog Pod. Three legs are perfect, a monopod is worthless and a bipod nearly so if standing. a monopod is worthless and a bipod nearly so if standing.

The Bog Pod is adjustable to standing and low enough for sitting. I think height is paramount as you should be standing natural and not on your toes nor crouched down. I let the barrels rest in the U or V, grasp the for end, pull the rifle into my shoulder and let the pod take the weight. With practice, it is very steady and readily adaptable to the field or bush.

One problem I've seen in Africa and the use of three poles to make the sticks is that of an unsteady rifle rest. The three poles sticking up don't afford a comfortable rest for a double rifle--at least for me anyway. That was my problem early on and solved with the Bog Pod as it has three legs for stability but a solid U or V for a good barrel rest.

Cal

Cal,

If you think that then you're using them wrongly. A bipod (especially) is as stable as a tripod if used correctly.

These might be of interest:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...-for-the-unwary.html

http://www.shakariconnection.com/taking-a-rest.html

http://www.shakariconnection.com/shooting-sticks.html

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ted:
Cal

Cal, u beat me to it.
The sticks are not a bench rest so u can't lay or leen on them.

It's a free hand assist. So get a natural upright stance with legs shoulder width apart.lock your legs and get your elbow tucked up against your body to eliminate as much human interference as possible.

With practice it's possible to shoot metal plates out to 400 yds off of stix
Regards

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The luxury of hunting Africa is that the game is much less wary than in the US. There are few times that one just can't shoot offhand that sticks are really needed, and if so, there is usually a tree limb around to rest against.

There is no reason for you to be hunched over using the sticks, as in your pic.

I found the best height and the way to show the tracker carrying the sticks, was to just hold out my left arm horizontally. The height of my fingers was the height he was to place the crotch of the sticks.

Stand up!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I've seen guys so ingrained with using sticks they couldn't shoot w/o them. Leave the sticks at home!!

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Ted

For me, it IS a tripod. But, square up to it with your feet, and make a second "triangle" with your feet and the point where you are holding the sticks. Hold it all together (as in the pic) and keep the cheek weld with the stock firmly pulled into your shoulder standing mostly upright. You've already gotten great advice...

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips

Pictures of others shooting off sticks would be nice

Being tall is tough on me sometime. I will try it again today and make some adjustments

I do appreciate your time

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On longer shots off sticks, if you can get your PH to come up under your right elbow with his shoulder so as to provide a rest for the elbow you will be 10 times more stable.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You could get a tracker to tote around a shooting table. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
besides what you have already heard - practice practice practice. take a brick of 22's go to 50 yds and shoot a box a day 1/2 way through go to smaller targets (a beer can works just fine) after the brick is gone then go back to your hunting rifle at 100. i think you will find that after a brick or 2 is gone that hitting a 8" target at 100 will seem easy

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peg - Yours is the absolute best post on this subject. Not only does this provide the most steady shooting position, your PH is looking at the target in the same plane as you are and is close to your right ear to announce shooting instructions as well.

I use a Bog Pod some, homemade sticks as well. I NEVER rest the rifle on the sticks, period. My left hand goes into the U, V or other configuration on the top of the "sticks", the rifle is placed in the cradle formed by my hand, right elbow on PH shoulder (if time and situation allow) for the shot. Placing the rifle directly on the hard surface of the U, V etc. can have an adverse effect on POI. But don't simply take my word for it, it's easy to prove to ones self.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
On longer shots off sticks, if you can get your PH to come up under your right elbow with his shoulder so as to provide a rest for the elbow you will be 10 times more stable.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
One thought and something I have used to hold my three bamboo sticks together is a common vacuum cleaner belt picked up for a few bucks at any appliance store. I agree with others, longer sticks so you don't hunch over but stand upright. And finding something or someone to rest your right elbow on when shooting really firms up your stance and crosshairs. Great practice for the field!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Ted:
My doubles are married to my tripod. I use a Bog Pod. Three legs are perfect, a monopod is worthless and a bipod nearly so if standing. a monopod is worthless and a bipod nearly so if standing.

Cal

Cal,

If you think that then you're using them wrongly. A bipod (especially) is as stable as a tripod if used correctly.

These might be of interest:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...-for-the-unwary.html

http://www.shakariconnection.com/taking-a-rest.html

http://www.shakariconnection.com/shooting-sticks.html

Steve:
O never could understand how a bi could be as stable as a tri when standing. A bipod gives good side to side support but without a third leg it allows front to back movement. Of course, I don't have the experience as most of you guys, but it is what I found at my shooting range and what little hunting I've done. A bipod is fine whilst prone, even preferred, but I've not had much luck standing.
Cheers, mate.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Cal

Bipods need to be angled towards the shooter so they form part of an additional triangle. - Do it right and you'll be at least as stable as if you were using a tripod.

Putting it another way, the bipod should be set up taller than one would first imagine is required and the shooter puts his rifle on the sticks and then takes half a pace backwards, bringing the top of the sticks with him so they are angled backwards rather than straight up. Then lean into the sticks to apply load and form a firm shooting rest.

If you know what I mean. Wink

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Understood and thanks.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made this video on shooting from sticks a while ago. It has tips from Clint Smith, a highly regarded shooting instructor, and from PH Errol Lambrechts of Gras Ranch, Namibia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mr4WU3N64k

There's a bit on using bipods at about the 5:00 minute mark. Errol's advice is exactly the same as has been discussed by shakari and pegleg earlier.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
i also rest my off hand around the crotch with a finger looped over the barrel lightly.

quote:
Bipods need to be angled towards the shooter so they form part of an additional triangle. - Do it right and you'll be at least as stable as if you were using a tripod.

+1 I wrapped leather around the top of my Martha Stewart sticks...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Bogpod. And I also don't let the rifle touch the tripod, I cradle it in my hand.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still prefer 2 legs on shooting sticks. I step backwards, angling the sticks towards me, then lean into them to firm everything up.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted,

Find out what kind of shooting sticks your PH will be using, bipod or tripod. There are major differences in how they are positioned.

What Shakari describes above is a very good method for bipod. It would be a shame to become proficient with a tripod and the PH is carrying a bipod.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Here's pics of my tripod homemade shooting sticks as posted on AR some years ago. I also made a similar pair in bi-pod, but won't post the pics of those. Both the bi and the tri work perfect for shooting and practicing here in the States. Bicycle inner tube hand wrapped on the top of each stick, vacuum belt holding the sticks together. Rods for sticks purchased at Home Depot; the belt and inner tube at Walmart. I have all of the shooting sticks from every maker and manufacturer known to hunters. HOWEVER, my latest love is the Primos bi-pod trigger stick. The Primos went with me to Sonora Mexico in January and I shot a very nice gold medal coues deer off of it at 200 yards. I also shot a coyote off of it at 530 yards. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Here's pics of my tripod homemade shooting sticks as posted on AR some years ago. I also made a similar pair in bi-pod, but won't post the pics of those. Both the bi and the tri work perfect for shooting and practicing here in the States. Bicycle inner tube hand wrapped on the top of each stick, vacuum belt holding the sticks together. Rods for sticks purchased at Home Depot; the belt and inner tube at Walmart. I have all of the shooting sticks from every maker and manufacturer known to hunters. HOWEVER, my latest love is the Primos bi-pod trigger stick. The Primos went with me to Sonora Mexico in January and I shot a very nice gold medal coues deer off of it at 200 yards. I also shot a coyote off of it at 530 yards. Big Grin

UEG:
Have you any luck with your sticks and a double? I can't seem to find a steady rest--or at least to find it quickly due to the width of the barrels on the larger caliber.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Ted,
In the photo your foot position looks about right however you should not be bending your knees. Try to keep your knees straight or almost locked, raise the sticks and slightly bend forward slightly at your waist. Remember, like any shooting position, bone and ligaments should be the support, not muscle.
As others have said, lots of practice will help you find a more accurate position that works for you. The Mrs and I burned up a lot of 223 ammo perfecting our techniques. You should be able to shoot into 2-3MOA with practice.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:

The faults I see are:

Sticks are too low

You're standing with your legs apart where you need to be standing with one foot in front of the other with most of your weight on the front foot & leaning into the rifle. Not only should the sticks & shooter form triangles but there should be triangles formed BETWEEN sticks & shooter.

The sticks are the wrong way around. The stick facing directly away from you should point towards you so you can reach down to adjust the height without losing too much stability.

Think triangles bracing against each other like a well pitched roof so you form the most stable shooting platform possible.

Incidentally, I don't think there's any difference between bolt or double in this case.

Actually, you could use that picture as a classic example of how NOT to shoot off of sticks. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Cal: I have shot two cape buffalo off of shooting sticks with a double rifle. One was shot in the Zambezi Valley with PH Lance Nesbitt and one was shot in the Bubye with PH Martin Nel. I was using my Searcy 450-400 both times and I didn't have any problem putting the double into the shooting sticks and taking the shot. I recall that both sets of sticks were African home made sticks, and both shots were approximately 110 yards. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

Sticks are too low

Actually, you could use that picture as a classic example of how NOT to shoot off of sticks. Wink

Glad to be a poster child for how not to....

I'll keep trying

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ted

Looking on the bright side, once you get it sussed out, you'll be amazed how much of a difference it'll make. tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have used both bipods and tripods.

Tripods are definitely more stable, but, bipods are more convenient to place on the ground, especially if it is uneven.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66992 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote