Notify
Tools

What in Africa would you NOT shoot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
For me it's a pretty long list.

Giraffe, all the little pissant antelope (how many of them are there, anyway? - seems like dozens!), ostrich, rhinoceros, baboon, all the litte pissant cats (such as caracal, genet, wildcats, etc.), and I'm sure dozens of others on so-called "trophy lists" that I have never heard of.

Unless I was hungry, of course! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13617 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I wouldn't shoot? leopard, sable, greater kudu, duiker, steinbuck, impala, giraffe and warthog. also baboon or any type of monkey, croc, cheeta and rhino amongsr others.

465H&H,

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I've never had any interest in shooting a giraffe. Never would shoot one, with the unlikely exception of using one for lion bait, but probably not even then.

The one time I had an opportunity to shoot a nice Tsessebe, I passed on it as they didn't interest me, as I think they're beyond dumb. Don't really have any interest in shooting one in the future. I shot an ostrich once, don't know if I'd bother again. Last time, I wanted a skin to make some boots and other stuff with, but I never got around to doing that. It was an 'interesting pursuit' as we were heading back to camp in the Kalahari, and had comsumed a few cold ones when we found the ostrich. Let's just say it was a charlie foxtrot from the word go.

Baboons are fun to shoot! Baboons were the very first things I ever shot in Africa, as Peter Johnstone wanted those devils out of his orange trees. We waited inside his dining room, with me laying in the floor while the bas all climbed the fence and headed toward his garden. Finally, Peter gave the command to shoot as many as I could and I began firing. We had baboons running everywhere, scaling the fence in total panic. It was great to ruin their day, as they're unpleasant and wasteful things. I think Baboons are kinda like coyotes, won't ever get tired of shooting the next one (and boy would an AR15 ever be a fun baboon rifle!).

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
What I wouldn't shoot? leopard, sable, greater kudu, duiker, steinbuck, impala, giraffe and warthog . also baboon or any type of monkey, croc, cheeta and rhino amongsr others.

465H&H,

Really?! Do you care to share the reason you wouldn't shoot these guys?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog:
For me personally, the following animals, just because I have no interest in them. However, I'm all for the guys that want to hunt them.

any of the small antelope
crocs
ostrich

Mad Dog

Why not croc?

Andrew,

Have you eaten Croc? Joyce and I couldn't get anyone in Johnny's camp to try it after we requested Samson cook some tail up into fritters.

Tasty!! Just like Gator tail.

Jim

Jim,

All the time. We do them whole on a spit.

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
A "PAC" White Lion No Thank You.

and... for some reason the Reedbucks don't float my boat.

Bout time someone mentioned a canned Lion.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Goes without saying.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13617 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Crocodile, in the last 30+ years I have killed over 1200 alligators.

Giraffe, for no particular reason.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm with you. The white rsa pac lions are just too dangerous, only for real sportsman Big Grin

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2090 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
douple, sorry

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2090 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Maddog, This is why you hunt crocs and the only reason why.

SAVE GAME HUNT CROCS

16 foot killing machine

you see I would fit also the back of his mouth was 24 inches across

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I see what you are saying. Nice pics. Does the Mrs. make ya sleep on that thing when you been a bad boy? Big Grin

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Absolutely exceptional croc. Well done

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
What I wouldn't shoot? leopard, sable, greater kudu, duiker, steinbuck, impala, giraffe and warthog . also baboon or any type of monkey, croc, cheeta and rhino amongsr others.

465H&H,

Really?! Do you care to share the reason you wouldn't shoot these guys?

The reason being is that although I enjoyed taking a very good leopard, I found the whole process somewhat boring compared to buff or elephant hunting. As far as sable, I also took an exceptional animal of 43 1/2' and it was the greatest hunt of my life. I have also taken two pretty good kudu. I huntd that sable on my own three years in a row before taking him. I have also shot a large number of warthog, impala and duiker on management hunts so I don't need anymore. I will leave all of those animals for those that have yet to take their first one.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will not shoot anything that I do not eat + I will not shoot a giraffe.

Posts: 51 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSG Police:

No one is expecting you to eat a whole giraffe and that would incur a 60 day safari.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed six giraffe so far.Shot them all with a bow. They are a challenge with archery tackle because of their size. I muffed the first one I shot because I did not know where their vitals were. After I finished him with a rifle my PH and I did a necropsy and took a few photos and from then on things went much better.I am on a string of one shot clean kills.

As far as what I would not shoot, I can't think of anything that I would not shoot as long as it was wild and free-ranging.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I guess I will be the second to say there is no legal African game species I would not like to hunt. money is the only problem. I find them all unique and interesting. I have always felt that the best way to learn about an animal is to try and kill it. This is why hunters and trappers are the ones who really know about animals and their habits.

Most would agree that certain species tend to be more fun or challenging to hunt and these are the ones hunters like to pursue multiple times. We all have our favorites. However, I can not say that I hold any game animal in higher regard because they are more difficult to hunt or because they are large, colorful, big brained, social, fuzzy or have thumbs. If money were no object I think "one of each" would be fun as hell and would provide a lifetime of outdoor education.

To me, meat is certainly an extra benefit of hunting but I feel no obligation to consume the animal in order to justify hunting it. But to each his own! follow your own bliss. Smiler

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
I found it rather interesting that multiple mentions that the Giraffe gets as a no-shoot animal.

I found this a bit unusual given the size of the animal, and the consensus that is appears to be a difficult animal to hunt.

However once I took a second look at a picture of a Giraffe, and saw its relatively small horns, the responses suddenly became perfectly clear.

As for me... No Africans. Including Bushmen and Whites. Wink

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully not my tracker or PH.....but I've been very good so far on my 4 safaris.
There was this couple in camp once, but the trophy fee was more than I could afford.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
Its redundant, but no giraffe for me and no Zebra.Too much like a horse although I heard they are a hard hunt.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Canned lions are no joking matter!
thumb

If you get in the can that is..... Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to consider myself an equal opportunity hunter. As long as it's legal game and I can afford the trophy fee, there's nothing in Africa that I wouldn't shoot!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
quote:
If money were no object I think "one of each" would be fun as hell

tu2

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to be on the move in Africa so I suspect that leaves out Leopard and Croc. I am just to impatient.
Wish list; Buffalo and more buffalo, Greater Kudu, Sable, Western Roan, Nyala, Lord Derby Eland, Sitatunga, Waterbuck, Bushbuck and a Croc if I stumble upon a big one. Did I mention Buffalo???

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Hopefully not my tracker or PH.....but I've been very good so far on my 4 safaris.
There was this couple in camp once, but the trophy fee was more than I could afford.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
DSC

Surprised no one mentioned Abie yet. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopard and cheetah. Too pretty to shoot,IMHO.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I thought we were only considering animals we hunt.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only want to shoot one of each species, except for bait and those lost in the fire. Shooting multiple buffalo etc does nothing for me.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
Cheetahs, Gorillas & other endangered/protected species are safe from me, the rest had better hide...

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
My mouth off.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot anything. But wouldn't pay to shoot any of those tiny antelope species.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl, I feel sorry for you.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crocs for sure. I'd be happy to sit down and help eat one but to pay a trophy fee for one - pass.
For whatever reason, kob and waterbuck don't do anything for me either.
Always thought tsessebee's would be on my 'no' list and then in Central Africa I saw one done as a Euro mount and thought it looked really interesting. So I shot one. Really glad I did too. It has been the tastiest tablefare I have had in Africa yet.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I was not interested in shooting a warthog on my trip and told my everyone they were not on my menu. I don't know why... just interested in other animals. I had some explaining to do back at the lodge after killing a nice boar with my bow on day three. After passing up a dandy at 15 yards I could not resist a little while later when another one presented the shot.
Passed a chip shot on a big male baboon after watching a troop for about an hour... kinda regret not taking the shot now.
The wife does not want me to shoot a giraffe, but what the hell does she know. After watching a pair at close range last time, they now have me thinking !

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:

sorry I'm not a trophy hunter mate. Small game I can shoot free in Australia in the hundreds a month.To pay for a single animal I prefer it to be a little grander than a dog with horns Wink

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:

sorry I'm not a trophy hunter mate. Small game I can shoot free in Australia in the hundreds a month.To pay for a single animal I prefer it to be a little grander than a dog with horns Wink

I understand they can bite..........your ankles that is. Cool

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I would not shoot:

-- a primate.
-- a canned lion.
-- a canned leopard.
-- any animal I knew had been released on the site.
-- a non-indigenous animal (a nyala or black wildebeest in Namibia, for example).
-- a giraffe (unless I wanted to carpet a hallway).

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SSG Police:

No one is expecting you to eat a whole giraffe and that would incur a 60 day safari.

That is a good one!!! What I meant was that I will not eat animals such as Baboons, hogs, lions etc. So, I will not bother shooting them. To me a giraffe is close to be a “sacred” animal; I will shoot it with my camera but not with my gun. I just respect that creature for one reason or another.

Posts: 51 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote